Should states be allowed to 'sucede'

Debate serious and interesting topics, rant about politics or pop culture, or otherwise converse in essay form about your opinions. The rules of conduct here are a little stricter.
Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2009.09.23 (03:12)

The only secession movement around that seems anything close to serious is Vermont's. Not like we need them anyway.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.23 (11:05)

scythe33 wrote:The only secession movement around that seems anything close to serious is Vermont's. Not like we need them anyway.
And Quebec from Canada, although nobody cares.
Loathes

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2009.09.23 (16:14)

SlappyMcGee wrote:
scythe33 wrote:The only secession movement around that seems anything close to serious is Vermont's. Not like we need them anyway.
On an unrelated note, Slappy, are you from Quebec? In other words, might I call you 'Quebecois'? Best name ever.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.23 (16:46)

flagmyidol wrote:
SlappyMcGee wrote:
On an unrelated note, Slappy, are you from Quebec? In other words, might I call you 'Quebecois'? Best name ever.
Yes'm.
Loathes

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.24 (02:41)

...:/

://
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

The number of Electoral College votes needed to be President of the US.

Postby Aldaric » 2009.10.02 (22:12)

Thats like asking. Should we kill people? Obviously yes! Get your head on strait.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2009.10.02 (23:07)

Aldaric wrote:Thats like asking. Should we kill people? Obviously yes! Get your head on strait.
*blink*

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby Brocerius » 2009.10.03 (19:59)

I believe in unity and all that. All divisions in the world just make the proper division and distribution of labour more difficult.

So no, I believe that mostly people don't knows what's good for them on any more of a 'I should eat sometime in the following hours' sort of scale, and should be controlled by a dubiously collected and arguably elected body of people.
-----=======Doubtlessly Dastardly=======-----

Walking on Broken Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/beethoveN

Postby beethoveN » 2009.10.27 (22:24)

can't texas already do that?
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear.
-
William Shakespeare

Doublemember
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/AfterTheRain
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby Flycatcher » 2009.10.28 (00:20)

beethoveN wrote:can't texas already do that?
They, uh.
No.
They did the opposite of sucede.

I think it could be beneficial to the world economy to "mix things up", so to speak. We could go to war over who gets preference in exports.
ATR.

[11:41] <kkstrong> One small step for man!
[11:42] <kkstrong> ONE GIANT STEP FOR PENIS!
[11:42] <GamingWolf> ONE SMALL WAIT THERE ARE NO SMALL THINGS HERE

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Mute_Monk
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Mute Monk » 2009.10.28 (13:56)

As long as there is a strong majority population wanting to secede, they should be allowed to do so. That's kind of why Quebec separatists slightly annoy me: there have been two referendums (admittedly close ones) concerning separation, both showing a slight majority in favour of staying. In my opinion, there should be at least 65 - 70% of the population wanting to secede before it's considered.
I would love to live forever. When asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I always said "Immortal." - Kablizzy
Maps

Nmaps.net Nmaps.net Nmaps.net

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.10.28 (15:03)

Mute Monk wrote:As long as there is a strong majority population wanting to secede, they should be allowed to do so. That's kind of why Quebec separatists slightly annoy me: there have been two referendums (admittedly close ones) concerning separation, both showing a slight majority in favour of staying. In my opinion, there should be at least 65 - 70% of the population wanting to secede before it's considered.
I don't agree with this applied to the Quebec situation at all.

I think that allowing people to secede from your country means, straight up, letting people who don't like you take your resources. We're looking at from a 21st Century upscale liberal perspective, where we can talk and sign away everything, but straight up: If ten thousand Russains moved into Quebec and then voted to make Quebec an extension of Russia, we would be fucking pissed.

It's the exact same situation; if people want a piece of land, they either need to pay for it (which Quebec certainly can't do, for my money, Quebec would need to not only pay for every piece of land that it inhabits but also the materials it exports which should be considered Canadian materials; stuff like our Hydro Electricity.) Not only that, but Quebec is among the provinces that are not at all self-sufficient; we take more money in from the government than we ever give back in federal taxes. But that's a bit of an aside as to how the province couldn't survive on its own; let's look at the other thing Quebec should have to do for it's property. It should have to fight for it. Now, this sounds ridiculous, and is a scenario that won't happen, since most separatists describe their reasoning for wanting to be separate as somewhere between "mild displeasure" to "people don't speak French at the bank. :("

But once again, I don't think the idea of seceding even understands the concept of property. If you own a house, (and you don't, really, because it is your country that owns half.) and a bunch of people start to life in your house with your permission, paying rent, eating food, and then the majority of them decide that you are a douchebag, they don't kick you out of your own house. They go and live in another house.

Now, once again, this doesn't apply to every situation. But to say that Quebecois should be entitled to the province of Quebec if the majority of them want it is fucking stupid. If that Referendum passes, watch the Canadian government say "No." or, "Yes, but we get everything below the Saint-Lawrence." (Which is my understanding, and which is the bulk of the population and industry.) Quebec will bitch and moan, but what are they going to do? Buy back the land? Trade for it? Fight for it? No. The government has no reason to entitle these people to this land; not a moral one, not an economic one, not a practical one.
Loathes

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.28 (20:17)

SlappyMcGee wrote:I don't agree with this applied to the Quebec situation at all.

I think that allowing people to secede from your country means, straight up, letting people who don't like you take your resources. We're looking at from a 21st Century upscale liberal perspective, where we can talk and sign away everything, but straight up: If ten thousand Russains moved into Quebec and then voted to make Quebec an extension of Russia, we would be fucking pissed.

It's the exact same situation; if people want a piece of land, they either need to pay for it (which Quebec certainly can't do, for my money, Quebec would need to not only pay for every piece of land that it inhabits but also the materials it exports which should be considered Canadian materials; stuff like our Hydro Electricity.) Not only that, but Quebec is among the provinces that are not at all self-sufficient; we take more money in from the government than we ever give back in federal taxes. But that's a bit of an aside as to how the province couldn't survive on its own; let's look at the other thing Quebec should have to do for it's property. It should have to fight for it. Now, this sounds ridiculous, and is a scenario that won't happen, since most separatists describe their reasoning for wanting to be separate as somewhere between "mild displeasure" to "people don't speak French at the bank. :("

But once again, I don't think the idea of seceding even understands the concept of property. If you own a house, (and you don't, really, because it is your country that owns half.) and a bunch of people start to life in your house with your permission, paying rent, eating food, and then the majority of them decide that you are a douchebag, they don't kick you out of your own house. They go and live in another house.

Now, once again, this doesn't apply to every situation. But to say that Quebecois should be entitled to the province of Quebec if the majority of them want it is fucking stupid. If that Referendum passes, watch the Canadian government say "No." or, "Yes, but we get everything below the Saint-Lawrence." (Which is my understanding, and which is the bulk of the population and industry.) Quebec will bitch and moan, but what are they going to do? Buy back the land? Trade for it? Fight for it? No. The government has no reason to entitle these people to this land; not a moral one, not an economic one, not a practical one.
Or they could just take a lesson from Israel and construct ever-advancing iron walls that eat away at the country like necrotizing fasciitis, all the while shooting at unarmed civilians to encourage them to step the fuck off their own land.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Postby Mute Monk » 2009.10.28 (20:33)

Hmmmm...I wasn't saying that Quebec should separate, or that it's a good idea for them to do so; far from it, in fact. My point was that, had the referendum been a couple percentage points the other way, negotiations would have ensued that may have led to secession. In my opinion, 51% is not enough...65 or 70% is a far better number on which to base negotiations of secession.

Also, saying that resources "belong" to any one party, political or otherwise, is ridiculous. Resources don't belong to anybody, and it's that exact attitude that fuels the ongoing rape of Mother Earth.

Your house analogy only works when compared to a dictatorship, where it's "my way or the highway". In a democracy, if there is a majority vote, that is the way things go. If the people I allowed to move into my house held a vote and unanimously decided that I should leave, then I would (presuming that I ran my house like a democracy, which is unlikely).

As I said before, I don't support Quebec secession...I quite enjoy living in the second largest country in the world. I was simply expressing my displeasure at the ease with which Quebec might have approached secession, were the votes slightly tilted the other way.

@ Suki: Good luck finding the money or military resources to do that. Especially when you're not supported by the U.S. Government.
I would love to live forever. When asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I always said "Immortal." - Kablizzy
Maps

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.10.28 (20:40)

Mute Monk wrote:Hmmmm...I wasn't saying that Quebec should separate, or that it's a good idea for them to do so; far from it, in fact. My point was that, had the referendum been a couple percentage points the other way, negotiations would have ensued that may have led to secession. In my opinion, 51% is not enough...65 or 70% is a far better number on which to base negotiations of secession.

Also, saying that resources "belong" to any one party, political or otherwise, is ridiculous. Resources don't belong to anybody, and it's that exact attitude that fuels the ongoing rape of Mother Earth.

Your house analogy only works when compared to a dictatorship, where it's "my way or the highway". In a democracy, if there is a majority vote, that is the way things go. If the people I allowed to move into my house held a vote and unanimously decided that I should leave, then I would (presuming that I ran my house like a democracy, which is unlikely).

As I said before, I don't support Quebec secession...I quite enjoy living in the second largest country in the world. I was simply expressing my displeasure at the ease with which Quebec might have approached secession, were the votes slightly tilted the other way.

@ Suki: Good luck finding the money or military resources to do that. Especially when you're not supported by the U.S. Government.
I wasn't suggesting that you were advocating secession. I was merely throwing my two cents in on the Quebec side of the issue while pointing out that it is unreasonable.
Loathes

Postby Mute Monk » 2009.10.28 (23:40)

Then...I'm glad we agree.
Maps