abortion

Debate serious and interesting topics, rant about politics or pop culture, or otherwise converse in essay form about your opinions. The rules of conduct here are a little stricter.
Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2009.10.11 (07:46)

blue_tetris wrote:
flagmyidol wrote:
Kablizzy Sucks wrote:...not having sex...
Well that's not a fucking option.
That's the not fucking option.
I guess Dave knows what I'm trying to say. "You can't miss what you never had" is my new mantra on the topic.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.10.11 (13:22)

Kablizzy Sucks wrote:I guess Dave knows what I'm trying to say. "You can't miss what you never had" is my new mantra on the topic.
Wahahahahahahaha.

I don't think you'll like the statement that makes relating to abortion. Maybe rethink the mantra, or examine your subconscious.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Wizard Dentist
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/SkyPanda

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.10.11 (13:41)

Kablizzy_sucks wrote:"You can't miss what you never had" is my new mantra on the topic.
But what if deep down, your soul knows it's being deprived of one of the most beautiful, special relationships between two people and is hurt by that?

Hawaii Five-Oh
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/RadiumFalcon
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby Radium » 2009.10.11 (14:39)

SkyPanda wrote:
Kablizzy_sucks wrote:"You can't miss what you never had" is my new mantra on the topic.
But what if deep down, your soul knows it's being deprived of one of the most beautiful, special relationships between two people and is hurt by that?
it isn't necessarily going to be special. the mom could be a crack addict.
spoiler

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2009.10.11 (16:06)

Pro-choice because civil liberties are double plus good. But general against killing babies.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.10.11 (16:22)

I thought you've always been against liberties altogether, Tanner.

Just when you think you know a dude...
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2009.10.11 (16:40)

Even my facets have facets.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Spoil-Sport
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/eganic
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby sheganican » 2009.10.11 (16:47)

a fetus IS NOT ALIVE, THEREFORE CANNOT BE KILLED
a fetus WILL NOT HOLD A GRUDGE
a fetus WILL FORGIVE
a fetus WILL FORGET

im pro-not-dumbass-christians-who-let-their-religion-cloud-every-other-aspect-of-their-lives

and so it goes, and so it goes, and so will you soon i suppose.
- Billy Joel

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.10.11 (18:40)

shenanigan wrote:a fetus IS NOT ALIVE, THEREFORE CANNOT BE KILLED
a fetus WILL FORGIVE
a fetus WILL FORGET

im pro-not-dumbass-christians-who-let-their-religion-cloud-every-other-aspect-of-their-lives
I agree with you, and yet, this is among the dumbest posts I've ever seen.
Loathes

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/bobaganuesh_2

Postby bobaganuesh_2 » 2009.10.11 (21:30)

Amadeus wrote:I'm really torn on this issue, but I'd probably have to go with pro-life. Unless it's dangerous for the mother, the baby has been seriously abused while in the womb (FAS, drugs, etc), or in the case of rape or incest.
any pregnancy has the potential to be dangerous for the mother. Life is a risk.
Kablizzy Sucks wrote:
blue_tetris wrote:
flagmyidol wrote: Well that's not a fucking option.
That's the not fucking option.
I guess Dave knows what I'm trying to say. "You can't miss what you never had" is my new mantra on the topic.
well is it better to have fucked and contracted AIDS than not to have fucked at all? The way I see it, life is both a gift and a curse. The choice should belong to the mother, although what may be best for the baby may not be food for the mother.
a fetus WILL FORGIVE
a fetus WILL FORGET

I find it quite funny that the majority of the religion debates in this forum are revolved around Christianity/monotheism. I have yet to see an argument whether the I Ching is just a travelling guide written by a blind driver.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby aids » 2009.10.11 (22:50)

The real question is whether you think an abortion kills a baby (and if you think a fetus has life). I do, and therefore I don't support a fetus' murder.

And yes, my mantra better applies to sex than abortion. Didn't think that one out...

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33

Postby scythe » 2009.10.12 (04:37)

Amadeus wrote:the baby has been seriously abused while in the womb (FAS, drugs, etc),
So basically, you're for legal abortion, you just require the mother to drink a lot beforehand?
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/yungerkid

Postby yungerkid » 2009.10.12 (05:41)

I am quite pro-choice. I can't see the excuse for forcing people to endure pain on so many levels when there is a procedure available to fix it; if there is more pain having a child than not having a child, then abortion should not be illegal, and I don't see how one could have more pain without a child. They would miss things, yes, but why are they considering abortion if they are afraid of missing all that? Either way, abortion is a person's choice, like all other operations. I also think that the added benefit of having society slimmed down a bit would be a double-pop.

Wizard Dentist

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.10.12 (15:40)

The little tadpole thing, in my eyes, fits the bill for both "being alive" and "being human". This is the position taken by moist pro-lifers.
However, I don't feel this translates into a good argument against abortion. A fetus should share the same rights as a grown human in the same way that a sperm does, which is not at all. It is the dissimilarities between a fetus and a developed human that make it absurd to treat them the same. A fetus cannot think, cannot feel pain, cannot feel emotion, and has no self-awareness.
I acknowledge that many pro-lifers put a value on human life regardless of the form that life takes, which is admirable, but I strongly believe that this simplistic view invariably hurts the other relevant person, the woman. To grant rights to a thing which is barely living, and favour these rights over the rights of a grown, living, woman seems ridiculous and cruel.

This isn't the only reason I support abortion, just a counter to the "fetus=human, killing it=bad" argument.

Remembering Hoxygen
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby capt_weasle » 2009.10.12 (16:36)

I am against abortion except for when there are complications, and only the zygote/embryo/fetus/baby or the mother can be saved.

The ~98% of women who treat abortion as nothing more than a mere convenience just seems wrong.
"How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot: Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resign'd" ~ Alexander Pope
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars" ~ Hugh Laurie

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.13 (01:39)

Pro-Lifers:
You realize that there are human beings who actually have memories and a grasp on reality who undergo severe physical and psychological torture all around the world, don't you?
Priorities, people.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.10.13 (12:25)

Yes. Priorities!

Don't worry about the crime rate. Don't worry about doing your homework. There are people starving in Africa.

Bacardi
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/jinxed_07

Postby jinxed_07 » 2009.10.13 (18:30)

Kablizzy Sucks wrote:Well, I say we stop telling our kids that sex is necessary for happiness. :/
yes. Yes!
Pro-life
How would YOU like to be aborted?
And how is it, if you kill a pregnant woman, you are charged with double murder, but abortion, doing the same minus the pregnant women, is legal. v_v tsk tsk
I am against abortion except for when there are complications, and only the zygote/embryo/fetus/baby or the mother can be saved.

The ~98% of women who treat abortion as nothing more than a mere convenience just seems wrong.
Same.

and
a fetus WILL FORGIVE
a fetus WILL FORGET
nah, the mother just can't drink alcohol, eat unhealthy, and she gives the baby nutrients and takes it's waste for NO reason.[/sarcasism]
Tell me shenanigan, how do you define alive?
SkyPanda wrote:A fetus should share the same rights as a grown human in the same way that a sperm does, which is not at all.
A fetus has a 'good' potential to be a human while the sperm by itself has none.

And I am even pro-life even if it is rape, etc. Adoption, anyone? Same with under-age sex.

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.10.13 (18:51)

I'm not sure pro-lifers understand the argument here. I hate to make a generalization, but most of the people who are pro-life are also complaining about jobs and higher taxes. Well, guess what? Not only does adding a new person to the world mean a new worker, desperately seeking the means to survive, but we have a mother who probably can't afford to take care of the child and is going to have to rely on more expensive government run programs. Let's put that aside and look at it in another way; you've also made this woman completely fucking miserable. She feels like shit because she brought a life into the world, and she isn't even able to care for it. Do you know how valuable a life is? You guys have been saying that these fetii are just as valuable as a regular life, so I hope you realize that you are effectively ruined one while at the same time making everybody in the country pay for the new life.
Loathes

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Atilla

Postby Atilla » 2009.10.14 (00:51)

jinxed_07 wrote:How would YOU like to be aborted?
Irrelevant. As a fully-developed adult, I can actually like or dislike things. Embryos in the early stages of development don't even have a nervous system, so I'm pretty sure they can't feel bad about it.
And I am even pro-life even if it is rape, etc. Adoption, anyone? Same with under-age sex.
Is it not enough the woman suffers through rape? Does she have to have it rubbed in her face every day for nine months, take time off work because she's pregnant, go through the pain of birth (not to mention morning sickness and all the other inconveniences of pregnancy), and possibly suffer long-term medical problems and disfigurement as a result of the birth? And even the (slight) risk of death which accompanies any birth?

Plus, it's absolutely horrible that you're comparing rape with consensual teen sex.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2009.10.14 (00:58)

As far as I recall, my original argument on this topic was that a fetus is essentially a living person (a "potential" person, it might've been), while a sperm is not. I just recently actually realized the distinction, though. Both a sperm and a fetus are a potential person; however, a fetus will become a normal thinking person if not interrupted in some way in its development, whereas a sperm has to be connected to an egg somehow or other to create a person; you can't make a kid just by sitting there (unless you're Shmi Skywalker).

Of course, I doubt these arguments are relevant anymore. Just wanted to clear it up.

Hawaii Five-Oh
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/RadiumFalcon
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby Radium » 2009.10.14 (04:02)

Just like my opinions about God, the correct answer about abortion seems overwhelmingly obvious. why would you /NOT/ use a modern technology? that's fucking stupid.
spoiler

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.10.14 (07:19)

Wight wrote:As far as I recall, my original argument on this topic was that a fetus is essentially a living person (a "potential" person, it might've been), while a sperm is not. I just recently actually realized the distinction, though. Both a sperm and a fetus are a potential person; however, a fetus will become a normal thinking person if not interrupted in some way in its development,
It's a weird distinction. I mean, a sperm will become a person, too, if you use it correctly and don't mess things up. When used properly, both sperm and fetus will create a new human. Hell, even the egg should create a new human if you're having sex as much as the human animal was intended to. Pop a baby out? Don't wait 28 days and waste an egg! Bone some more!

Fact of the matter is, potentiality is a pretty tough concept to nail down when it comes to life. Normal smart-people science can't even define exactly when and how specific life originates; expecting Christian science (ha!) to define it in a way that is absolute is a bit much.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, ladies, is... have sex with me. If you don't, you're murdering potential babies. When I ask "Hey, what's your number?" and you say "Fuck off.", what you're really aborting is a futurebaby, with jetpacks. I just may bring my picket signs of mutilated, botched abortions to bars from now on, to help enforce the point. While I'm at it, picket signs of botched circumcisions and botched government-funded institutions, to further instate my beliefs.

Wizard Dentist

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.10.14 (11:11)

blue_tetris wrote:I guess the point I'm trying to make, ladies, is... have sex with me. If you don't, you're murdering potential babies. When I ask "Hey, what's your number?" and you say "Fuck off.", what you're really aborting is a futurebaby, with jetpacks. I just may bring my picket signs of mutilated, botched abortions to bars from now on, to help enforce the point. While I'm at it, picket signs of botched circumcisions and botched government-funded institutions, to further instate my beliefs.
Haha, I like this and will remember it always, or at least until I get so old that my brain works less than it does now. QFE.
jinxed_07 wrote:A fetus has a 'good' potential to be a human while the sperm by itself has none.
I think you mean "good potential to be born". I've already said that I believe the fetus is human. It has human DNA and it is the offspring of two humans, therefore it is human. Anyway, so the fetus has the potential to be born. So what? I don't think that this is important or meaningful, compared to some other potentials we could look at.
The woman has the potential to have her life ruined. The man has the potential to have his life ruined. The woman has the potential to suffer through nine months of pain, discomfort, and stress. The woman has the potential to die and it would not be a risk she took voluntarily. It's a risk she would have to take because people like you took away her choices and rights.
jinxed_07 wrote:And how is it, if you kill a pregnant woman, you are charged with double murder, but abortion, doing the same minus the pregnant women, is legal. v_v tsk tsk
If you kill the woman's unborn child without her consent, you will be charged with murder.
jinxed_07 wrote:And I am even pro-life even if it is rape, etc. Adoption, anyone?
Unfortunately, the brevity of this argument demonstrates the lack of compassion and humanity that is typical of the anti-abortion crowd.
Furthermore, adoption is solution that comes with it's own problems, such as the welfare of the child, and it is a solution that comes much too late for the woman. As Atilla talked about, there's nine months between the rape and the adoption.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2009.10.14 (14:08)

blue_tetris wrote:I guess the point I'm trying to make, ladies, is... have sex with me. If you don't, you're murdering potential babies. When I ask "Hey, what's your number?" and you say "Fuck off.", what you're really aborting is a futurebaby, with jetpacks.
Erm, no, you're still missing the point. What's a sperm going to do if you, instead of having sex with your girlfriend, sit there and watch [some sort of generic TV show]? Nothing. It's not going to slide out of your penis, along the floor, up her leg, and inseminate her, is it? Unlikely. Whereas a fetus—whether you both watch TV or not—is going to be a baby in a few months, and she'll give birth, and it's all your fault for not wearing a condom.

To sum up my point:
Fetus => inactivity => baby
Sperm => inactivity =>