Are you okay with gays?

Debate serious and interesting topics, rant about politics or pop culture, or otherwise converse in essay form about your opinions. The rules of conduct here are a little stricter.
Plus (Size) Member
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby The_Juggler » 2009.09.02 (05:29)

Tsukatu wrote:
The_Juggler wrote:Hating any person for any reason is not a very religious thing to do
I laughed for, like, 10 to 15 minutes. Utterly brilliant.
It's funny that people actually believe that though, y'know? So while you clearly must have been joking, it still is more than a little depressing that most people have such a complete lack of context from, y'know, most of history or any readings whatsoever from their own scriptures.
But yeah, that made my day, though. Good one.
Up yours, the Jesus we see portrayed in the bible has nothing to say but peace and love and stuff.

You know I really do respect atheists for their decision, but so many atheists are only so for the sake of being disagreeable.

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.02 (08:14)

The_Juggler wrote:You know I really do respect atheists for their decision, but so many atheists are only so for the sake of being disagreeable.
I'm not one of them. I honestly believe in and fully mean what I say.
The_Juggler wrote:Up yours, the Jesus we see portrayed in the bible has nothing to say but peace and love and stuff.
"Up yours," eh?
I maintain that peaceful hipster Jesus is a modern invention, and does not exist in the New Testament.
Allow me to make my case:

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." -Jesus (Luke 14:26)
"Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep." -Jesus (Mark 6:25)
"He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." -Jesus (John 12:25)

"Ye [the Jews] are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." -Jesus (John 8:44)

"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division" -Jesus (Luke 12:51)
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." -Jesus (Matthew 10:34)
"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -Jesus (Luke 19:27)

Your turn.

I'm also willing to start listing some of the >100 passages in the Koran that order you to murder heathens, since you're so certain they don't exist. Shall I do that?
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Plus (Size) Member

Postby The_Juggler » 2009.09.02 (18:18)

Tsukatu wrote:I maintain that peaceful hipster Jesus is a modern invention, and does not exist in the New Testament.
<irritated sigh>
Ok you win Tsukatu - I'm sure that's what you want to hear.
The threat of filibuster is enough to prevent continuing.

You can use the bible or any other book of its kind to justify pretty much anything, and you've plenty good work at it.
This is exactly how every religious nut forces their wild ideas on people who are too afraid to go against it.

So you win, congratulations.

Now that all that's over -

Why is the topic of homosexuals always brought to a religous issue anyway?
These are all social issuses and even civil rights issues, yet we always manage to see religion controlling our notions of human rights and more importantly - our governing laws.

This is an issue where the church often does control the state.
Why is this?

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/malde37
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Malde37 » 2009.09.02 (19:12)

well, uh, gays don't bother me one bit.
You do what you want. It's your intention that counts, right?
I'm Buddhist, and I say anything is fine. Everyone different, right?
I mean, do you remember that episode of the fairly odd parents where everyone turned into gray blobs so that noone would be better than anyone else?

No?

Well, the problem was, none of the "Fairies"(Or whatever) could find the mortals they were assigned to.
My point being that if everyone was straight, the world would be painfully boring.
So, I'm not on anyone's side, but I will simply point out that I(nor anyone else) controls you.
YOU control you.

But, that's just me.

In the part about the church controlling the sate, let me point back out that I'm Buddhist, and that your choices are your own.
Like my Avatar? PM me and I'll make you one.
True Quotes(Click here)

*The Monsters in my mind can beat up the ones in yours.
*I always pack one and a half pairs of underwear. That's one full one now, and, when you turn it inside out, another half later.
*I will never be seen without my goggles. For ,I see with them.
*I think I just ate my toe.

True Quotes from a Tornado Survivor

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

there are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand Binary, and people who don't.

As a good friend of mine once said: "Woot!"
BeTa TeStInG Is ObViOuS
My webcomic, The ShadowStone Gang, can be found here.

Plus (Size) Member

Postby The_Juggler » 2009.09.02 (20:13)

Malde37 wrote:In the part about the church controlling the sate, let me point back out that I'm Buddhist, and that your choices are your own.
Thanks Malde37, this sort of puts things into perspective.

And yeah Buddhists don't normally bother anyone much do they, they just have their religion and don't bother anyone else with it.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2009.09.02 (21:15)

Tsukatu wrote:
The_Juggler wrote:You know I really do respect atheists for their decision, but so many atheists are only so for the sake of being disagreeable.
I'm not one of them. I honestly believe in and fully mean what I say.
The_Juggler wrote:Up yours, the Jesus we see portrayed in the bible has nothing to say but peace and love and stuff.
"Up yours," eh?
I maintain that peaceful hipster Jesus is a modern invention, and does not exist in the New Testament.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." -Jesus (Luke 14:26)
"He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." -Jesus (John 12:25)

"Ye [the Jews] are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." -Jesus (John 8:44)

"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division" -Jesus (Luke 12:51)
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." -Jesus (Matthew 10:34)
"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -Jesus (Luke 19:27)

Your turn.

I'm also willing to start listing some of the >100 passages in the Koran that order you to murder heathens, since you're so certain they don't exist. Shall I do that?
I was right. You look exactly like Richard Dawkins when you debate. Exactly. You two are fuggin' twins. Whether you have more knowledge about theology than the first passage of Leviticus is a matter for another debate...

You don't honestly believe that, do you? That Jesus meant "Families suck" when he was saying these things. Do you really think that the only interpretation of those passages is one that contradicts every tenet of Christianity, but we blindly ignore it?*

*Actually, I think this is exactly what you believe.

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.02 (21:33)

Wight wrote:
You don't honestly believe that, do you? That Jesus meant "Families suck" when he was saying these things. .
I don't think Tsukatu thinks that Jesus meant any thing when HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE HE IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

Dumbass.
Loathes

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2009.09.02 (23:20)

DemonzLunchBreak wrote:
incluye wrote:I was right. You look exactly like Richard Dawkins when you debate. Exactly. You two are fuggin' twins. Whether you have more knowledge about theology than the first passage of Leviticus is a matter for another debate...
Except that none of the quotes provided are from Leviticus, so it's not really debatable. (it wouldn't be a very good debate, anyway)
Well, yeah, right, I'm just saying that so-called evidence against the Bible is pulled from the Old Testament books (especially the books of law), since the Old Testament books are the only ones that support any kind of image of a jealous and angry God.

Demonz' wrote:What interpretation of those passages could possibly be consistent with super-happy-rainbow-bunny-Jesus?
They aren't consistent with a guy like that. What gave you the impression that Jesus was like that?

Here.

== Eph 5:22-25 tells men to love their wives. Titus 2:4 says that wives should love their husbands and children. The word "hate" is used comparatively a lot throughout the Bible. (I realized that the verses about division fall under this category as well after writing this post.)
Jesus was all for family...he meant that whoever wanted to follow him would have to devote their whole life to doing so. I mean, Christ, we're told to love others as we love ourselves (and that no one hates his own flesh, a passage from Ephesians).

== Uhh...yeah...and this is bad because...

== Note the addition of "in this world" here. Life is a symbol of...er...life, materialism, objects of this world, &c. Remember, "hate" comparatively.

== Dude, saying "the Jews" when the Bible says "the Pharisees" is like saying "the Americans" when somebody mentions Charles Manson. The Pharisees were elitist discriminatory superreligious assholes. Anyone who reads the Bible could figure that out.

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -A king in a parable Jesus told (Luke 19:27)
Slappy wrote:HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE HE IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

Wizard Dentist
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/SkyPanda

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.09.02 (23:22)

The_Juggler wrote:Why is the topic of homosexuals always brought to a religous issue anyway?
I agree completely. It's a pointless diversion and doesn't do any favours for any anti-gay stance.

Plus (Size) Member

Postby The_Juggler » 2009.09.03 (00:18)

Wight wrote:"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -A king in a parable Jesus told (Luke 19:27)
And this is how we twist the bible to make it say whatever we want it to say.

And heavens forbid that you go against whatever someone quoting the bible says - they're quoting the bible so you *have* to do what they say and think as they think.

Again, this is made into a religious discussion while it should be a social discussion.

Ok how about this - if the government passes law that restricts the action and behavior of homosexuals on "moral grounds" does that mean that the church controls the state?

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.03 (00:37)

The_Juggler wrote:<irritated sigh>
Ok you win Tsukatu - I'm sure that's what you want to hear.
The threat of filibuster is enough to prevent continuing.

You can use the bible or any other book of its kind to justify pretty much anything, and you've plenty good work at it.
This is exactly how every religious nut forces their wild ideas on people who are too afraid to go against it.

So you win, congratulations.
That's not at all what I wanted to hear! I wanted to convince you of something, not scare you away.
You said that there's not a single thing that Jesus said that conflicts with his present-day Peaceful Hipster Jesus marketing gimmick. The valid counter-example would be a single instance in which Jesus exhibits or promotes divisiveness, hostility, or violence. To lessen the chance that any such passage I thought exemplified this was too ambiguous to count, I gave you multiple.

Despite what you (and others) seem to have convinced yourself of, my goal is to convince you of something that I, after much consideration, believe is true. I'm trying to be a good person here.
The_Juggler wrote:Why is the topic of homosexuals always brought to a religous issue anyway?
These are all social issuses and even civil rights issues, yet we always manage to see religion controlling our notions of human rights and more importantly - our governing laws.
I agree with you and SkyPanda -- making this a religious issue is a distraction and is unnecessary. But so long as we have nutso's like the Westboro Baptist Church, which blames all evil and natural disasters on the existence and tolerance of gay people, we're not going to get rid of the association. Some people simply think it's morally wrong on religious grounds (whether or not they're actually justified in doing so), and therefore oppose it on religious grounds.

Wight wrote:Do you really think that the only interpretation of those passages is one that contradicts every tenet of Christianity, but we blindly ignore it?
No, I think that you blindly ignore that these are the tenets of Christianity. These are things your leader has said, and they are plainly evil. It takes a very contrived interpretation of what is obviously his intended meaning to arrive at the conclusion that he is saying reasonable things. It is your desperate need to see him as a consistently merciful and omnibenevolent role model which leads you to deny that these parts of his message must be misunderstood but that other parts aren't.
The fact that he says both good and evil things does not mean that he is being misunderstood, but that he is being inconsistent, or is maybe insane. I'm not even convinced the dude depicted in the Bible ever existed in the first place.

To me, it's actually especially egregious if you compare an institution like the Catholic Church with the message of Peaceful Hipster Jesus (TM). If memory serves, Peaceful Hipster Jesus stressed the following things:
  • Religion is a personal issue, and should not be institutionalized. Pray in the closet, not out on the street. Do your best to spread the Word of the Lord without resorting to oppression or hostility.
  • "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven." If you have more than enough money to live comfortably (or even if you don't, but have more than others around you), give it to people who need it. Don't be greedy, and certainly don't hoard it and be wealthy.
  • "Turn the other cheek." Treat your enemies kindly. Do not be vengeful, violent, or antagonistic.
So how is the Catholic Church not a catastrophic failure in following these guidelines? The Vatican is one of the wealthiest and most glamorous places in Europe which in its history has periodically sponsored international warfare and genocide. Peaceful Hipster Jesus would shit trains if he saw what was made of his teachings.
Wight wrote:Do you really think that the only interpretation of those passages is one that contradicts every tenet of Christianity, but we blindly ignore it?
"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division."
What the hell could he possibly have meant other than exactly what he said? You fucking tell me. Don't look at me all aghast and incredulous when there is such an explicitly clear account, right in front of you, of why I think the way I do. I've just explained a reason why I believe what I do -- if you don't think I've come to the correct conclusion, tell me why I'm wrong. Because standing slack-jawed in front of me when I've written "2+2=4" on the chalkboard isn't going to do a whole lot of good.
Wight wrote:Well, yeah, right, I'm just saying that so-called evidence against the Bible is pulled from the Old Testament books (especially the books of law), since the Old Testament books are the only ones that support any kind of image of a jealous and angry God.
lol, Jesus is only in the New Testament. As such, I've only taken quotes from the New Testament. I had to have.
Wight wrote:They aren't consistent with a guy like that.
This right here is exactly the problem I'm addressing in people who think the way you do about this issue, and it should be noted that I'm pointing it out because I think it's a serious but correctable problem, because I would very much like it if there were fewer problems and misunderstandings in the world I live in.

The main question here is, where other than the New Testament do we get our ideas about the sort of person Jesus was? Where could we possibly have gotten information about him besides the Bible?
Nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. We only have the Bible. The Bible is what tells us what Jesus is like.
So how is it reasonable to say that the Bible, the sole source of information about Jesus, must be mistaken because it inaccurately describes Jesus? How the hell do you justify that to yourself?
If you came up to your pastor and told him, "Jesus appeared to me, and his behavior was inconsistent with how it is presented in the New Testament" (or the way you'd probably phrase it, "Jesus appeared to me, and a later reading of the New Testament showed that it was inconsistent with Jesus' behavior, so why haven't we fixed the New Testament"), I can practically guarantee your pastor will say that you must be in error.
Wight wrote:"Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep." -Jesus (Mark 6:25)
== Uhh...yeah...and this is bad because...
Consider the reasons you might laugh. Jesus warns that woe betides any who experience those reasons.
And I'm actually a bit surprised that you asked why "sell all your shit and buy a sword" is a bad thing. Where's your sword, dude? Pics or you're not a Christian.
Wight wrote:"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." -A king, representing God, in a parable Jesus told (Luke 19:27)
Fixed.
Wight wrote:
Slappy wrote:HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE HE IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER.
Truth. u_u
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Plus (Size) Member

Postby The_Juggler » 2009.09.03 (03:16)

Tsukatu wrote:But so long as we have nutso's like the Westboro Baptist Church, which blames all evil and natural disasters on the existence and tolerance of gay people, we're not going to get rid of the association.
Oh dude they came to my college once and it was the most ridiculous shit I've ever seen.

Ok I live near Sago West Virginia where there was that coal mine thing where a bunch of people died and it was really tragic - this was about 4 years ago.

My school was host to a memorial ceremony and *funeral*
And the folks from the Westboro Baptist Church came all the way to Buckhannon WV to protest coal miners - because they're all gay

What's more - there is a "biker gang" that follows the church protesters around and protests them.

So there is a funeral procession, caskets containing dead coal miners, a group of windows and orphaned children, a whole hoard of screaming protesters, and a biker gang revving their bike engines - a SWAT team at the ready, local cops, state cops, feds
All in front of my dorm room.

Wizard Dentist
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/SkyPanda

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.09.03 (10:14)

"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division."

Okay, there's three angles I can see for a positive interpretation:
1, that this 'division' is not a negative or undesirable thing.
2, that Mr J was employing some form of linguistic device, for example metaphor, in order to make a point.
3, that this 'division' is intended to be a temporary one, in the cause of a greater and longer lasting peace, perhaps?

I'd put forward even if Christianity is a sham, the Bible false, and religion in general an outmoded belief system based on fear and manipulation; that the person responsible for that passage would probably not be trying to construct Jesus as a instigator of war or violence. It really doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the book and the other aspects of Jesus's construction, so that's a clue that a negative interpretation is probably not on the right track.

Heck, arguing over whether to have fish or chicken for dinner is a "division".

Plus (Size) Member

Postby The_Juggler » 2009.09.03 (15:57)

SkyPanda wrote:I'd put forward even if Christianity is a sham, the Bible false, and religion in general an outmoded belief system based on fear and manipulation; that the person responsible for that passage would probably not be trying to construct Jesus as a instigator of war or violence. It really doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the book and the other aspects of Jesus's construction, so that's a clue that a negative interpretation is probably not on the right track.
I don't know if you're an atheist or not, but this is a fine atheist manner of thought. "Sure it's all a sham, but the fictional character in this book wants only good for everybody."

Still, this is a topic for notions toward homosexuals.

I've not known a ton of gays, but I know a few and gays are like anybody else - they have the same proportion of assholes as any other people.
I don't dislike anybody except for assholes, and there are plenty of them in all races, religions, and sexual orientations.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.03 (16:12)

The_Juggler wrote:
SkyPanda wrote:I'd put forward even if Christianity is a sham, the Bible false, and religion in general an outmoded belief system based on fear and manipulation; that the person responsible for that passage would probably not be trying to construct Jesus as a instigator of war or violence. It really doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the book and the other aspects of Jesus's construction, so that's a clue that a negative interpretation is probably not on the right track.
I don't know if you're an atheist or not, but this is a fine atheist manner of thought. "Sure it's all a sham, but the fictional character in this book wants only good for everybody."

Still, this is a topic for notions toward homosexuals.

I've not known a ton of gays, but I know a few and gays are like anybody else - they have the same proportion of assholes as any other people.
I don't dislike anybody except for assholes, and there are plenty of them in all races, religions, and sexual orientations.
SkyPanda's post was very pro-Christian.
Loathes

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/malde37
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Malde37 » 2009.09.03 (19:53)

The_Juggler wrote:
Malde37 wrote:In the part about the church controlling the sate, let me point back out that I'm Buddhist, and that your choices are your own.
Thanks Malde37, this sort of puts things into perspective.

And yeah Buddhists don't normally bother anyone much do they, they just have their religion and don't bother anyone else with it.

Yeah, This is because if you want to know, then you ask.

We don't evangelize. you don't need WTMI.
And thanks, Juggler, for respecting my beliefs. You'd be surprised how many conversations about "you shouldn't do that" I get.

:)
Like my Avatar? PM me and I'll make you one.
True Quotes(Click here)

*The Monsters in my mind can beat up the ones in yours.
*I always pack one and a half pairs of underwear. That's one full one now, and, when you turn it inside out, another half later.
*I will never be seen without my goggles. For ,I see with them.
*I think I just ate my toe.

True Quotes from a Tornado Survivor

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

there are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand Binary, and people who don't.

As a good friend of mine once said: "Woot!"
BeTa TeStInG Is ObViOuS
My webcomic, The ShadowStone Gang, can be found here.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.03 (23:39)

SkyPanda wrote:"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division."

Okay, there's three angles I can see for a positive interpretation:
1, that this 'division' is not a negative or undesirable thing.
2, that Mr J was employing some form of linguistic device, for example metaphor, in order to make a point.
3, that this 'division' is intended to be a temporary one, in the cause of a greater and longer lasting peace, perhaps?
J-Bizzle was contrasting whatever the hell he meant by "division" with peace. There is a very clear implication that whatever he intends to bring, it will in no way be peaceful.
Here's a linguistic trick I learned shortly after I became self-aware:
If I say that I am not going to do something, and then say something else that I will do instead, then the second part of my statement will still be consistent with my stated intention to not do the former thing.
For example, if we're trying to determine whether or not I will bring pancakes from my statement, "I will not bring pancakes, but I will bring waffles," then the answer we get is no, I will not be bringing pancakes. That answer would not be any different if I had stopped at, "I will not bring pancakes." As both relate to me bringing pancakes, both say that I will not.

So the question is, has Jesus come to bring peace on Earth?
"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay."
Nope, he isn't. End of story. Whatever else he says he will bring will be consistent with his lack of desire to bring peace. If it isn't, then he is contradicting himself. Whatever Jesus brings, if anything, it's not going to be peace.

Your reasons are funny, though. I'm amused by the way you think. Here's the meaning I extracted from them:
1) If the "division" is not an undesirable thing, then it is not an undesirable thing.
2) Linguistic devices are incapable of conveying any intent that is not well-meaning.
3) Maybe he was j/k's when he said he wasn't coming to bring peace.
None of these struck me as particularly good reasons to think that Jesus meant well by what he said. What I do see, however, is that Jesus is contrasting whatever it is he is promising to deliver with peace. I like peace, so this does not sit well with me. Also, the thing he is promising is "division," and this could be temporal chauvinism, but I attach a negative and destructive connotation to "division" when it is spoken of in such general terms. I think of "I come to bring division" as something similar to "I come to bring destruction," and I won't take seriously any speculation like, "well maybe he means specifically destruction of all our woes?"
SkyPanda wrote:the person responsible for that passage would probably not be trying to construct Jesus as a instigator of war or violence. It really doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the book and the other aspects of Jesus's construction, so that's a clue that a negative interpretation is probably not on the right track.
I said this to Wight, but it now applies to you, too:
Tsukatu wrote:I think that you blindly ignore that these are the tenets of Christianity. These are things your leader has said, and they are plainly evil. It takes a very contrived interpretation of what is obviously his intended meaning to arrive at the conclusion that he is saying reasonable things. It is your desperate need to see him as a consistently merciful and omnibenevolent role model which leads you to deny that these parts of his message must be misunderstood but that other parts aren't.
The fact that he says both good and evil things does not mean that he is being misunderstood, but that he is being inconsistent, or is maybe insane.
The main question here is, where other than the New Testament do we get our ideas about the sort of person Jesus was? Where could we possibly have gotten information about him besides the Bible?
Nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. We only have the Bible. The Bible is what tells us what Jesus is like.
So how is it reasonable to say that the Bible, the sole source of information about Jesus, must be mistaken because it inaccurately describes Jesus? How the hell do you justify that to yourself?
The_Juggler wrote:I don't know if you're an atheist or not, but this is a fine atheist manner of thought. "Sure it's all a sham, but the fictional character in this book wants only good for everybody."
I'm more interested in lauding an opinion if it's informed. I wouldn't laud this one because it doesn't appear to me to be informed, and I suspect that the only reason you give it praise because it's agreeable with the thing he just called a sham.
Don't conflate unconditional tolerance with wisdom.
spoiler

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.04 (02:09)

Get ready for a good old fashioned Bible editing session, folks! It's time for the game, "Well, that part of the Bible shouldn't be taken literally" with your host, Richard Dawson Dawkins.
Loathes

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (02:30)

SlappyMcGee wrote:Get ready for a good old fashioned Bible editing session, folks! It's time for the game, "Well, that part of the Bible shouldn't be taken literally" with your host, Richard Dawson Dawkins.
We surveyed 100 British ethologist and evolutionary biologists, top ten answers on the board, hands on buzzers!

Name something that a blind watchmaker forgets to pack before going on a long trip.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Secretariat Ain't Got Nuthin' On This Shit

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.04 (02:32)

blue_tetris wrote:
SlappyMcGee wrote:Get ready for a good old fashioned Bible editing session, folks! It's time for the game, "Well, that part of the Bible shouldn't be taken literally" with your host, Richard Dawson Dawkins.
We surveyed 100 British ethologist and evolutionary biologists, top ten answers on the board, hands on buzzers!

Name something that a blind watchmaker forgets to pack before going on a long trip.
Sunglasses!
mintnut wrote:Oh my life, STRAP ON A PAIR! Get over it, make better maps, innit?
Posts from the old forums: 11,194

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (02:34)

Show me sunglasses!

5. Sunglasses. *DING*
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.04 (02:48)

We'll Play, Dick.
mintnut wrote:Oh my life, STRAP ON A PAIR! Get over it, make better maps, innit?

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (02:52)

Good, good. Alright, then, Campbell family. I'll reread the question for... haha... yes, I'll reread the question for the lovely wife.

*kiss*

Okay, honey, name something that a blind watchmaker forgets to pack before going on a long trip.

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.04 (03:00)

A PARASOL!

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (03:05)

Show me parasol!

3. Parasol. *DING*
5. Sunglasses.

Excellent, excellent. I hadn't thought of that. Didn't really come to mind, but you don't want to be caught out in the rain on a big trip, yes.

Alright, now, you're the brother? Well, let's see if you can't get the Campbell family three for three. Name something a blind watchmaker forgets to pack on a long trip.