Debate Forum Guidelines

Debate serious and interesting topics, rant about politics or pop culture, or otherwise converse in essay form about your opinions. The rules of conduct here are a little stricter.
The Rose in Spanish Harlem
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby DemonzLunchBreak » 2008.09.27 (15:25)

Debate Forum Guidelines

1. All forum rules apply here. This should be mind-numbingly obvious, but I’m reiterating this for the sake of clarity.

2. There is a difference between trolling and trying to start an intelligent debate. I’m all for the latter, but the former will get you into trouble. When a person trolls (as defined by Kablizzy in the forum rules), they are trying to provoke a negative emotional response. When a person tries to get a debate going, their intent is to produce a neutral, logical response. There is a discernible difference between the two, and as a quasi-intelligent forum member, you should be able to recognize it.

3. Similarly, debaters should address the argument presented, and not the person who is the source of the argument. Saying “you’re an idiot” does nothing to show how that person is incorrect in his reasoning process. Personal attacks are useless and unnecessary, not to mention dickish.

4. Develop an idea fully, and then stop there. If you post an incomplete thought, it will confuse everyone, and you won’t be proving your point to anyone. On the other hand, if you make a towerpost for no reason, and with very little actual content, you’re also defeating the purpose of posting here.

5. Debates tend to follow a natural progression away from the original topic. If this happens, it usually means that the original topic of debate was either fully discussed, or the new topic is more interesting. As long as the topic of debate flows nicely, this is not something to worry about. Now, if the first post of a topic is about deforestation in Brazil, and the second is about proposed solutions to the problem of induction, then we have a problem. But don’t complain about a thread fluidly going off-topic; this is what threads do.

6. When debating whether or not to legalize something that is currently illegal, speak in general terms. If assault weapons are illegal (I can’t remember their current status), do not talk about your rack of AK-47s in your closet. This is an admission of law-breaking, and is against forum rules. Instead, write about AK-47s in general. The idea of an assault weapon is not an illegal thing, in and of itself. Do not encourage illegal activities, even if you support legalization.

7. Make sure your arguments are well-formed. This doesn’t mean that I have to agree with your arguments or your reasoning process, but it does mean that you have to try to make sense. If you say “The Western concept of God is illogical, because… GRAPEFRUIT,” You will be asked to put more effort into your posts.

8. Humor is allowed here. This includes sarcasm, satire, and general silliness – just so long as it doesn’t all get out of hand. Humor should be a refreshing break from the stuffiness that can sometimes happen in debates; it should not become the norm for debating.

Y’all are a generally well-behaved community. I shouldn’t have to intervene too much. Just think before you post, and we shouldn’t have any problems.
post count on the old forums: 1,241

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.05.11 (01:43)

Try not to rail on the people who are new to Debate. They're likely new to the forums, in general, and just want to get a feel for how things work. If it bothers you, then consider just ignoring it. Their posts will get better as they learn how to get themselves taken seriously, largely by watching other people post and learning ways to assist in arguments.

The rules for Debate on typing, spelling, etc. are no more strict than the rest of the forum. Spelling and grammar issues aren't a big deal and no one thinks you're smart for being the hypergrammarian. People who don't seem, to you, to have a unique argument, a new claim, or even a strong grasp on the topic aren't malicious and they aren't even harmfully negligent. If they don't add anything, ignore them. They'll learn to add better things to get noticed.

In sum: Chiiiiiil. Give people a break.

<3, Dave.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Diagnosis Mohawk: Bahrain Cock Theory
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/spawn_of_yanni
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2010.11.09 (03:49)

re: recent debates

Please read this thread.
feline disrespect from behind

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.11.09 (18:21)

DemonzLunchBreak wrote:Staff are also not supposed to be exempt from these rules.
Oh, really? Sorry.
Loathes

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2011.12.29 (12:59)

Tanner presents, fresh from the Reddit hivemind, the hierarchy of debate.

I'm not suggesting that we try to keep things above one rung or another (especially given how inactive this forum is recently) but just be aware of where you are on the pyramid at any given time, you ass hat.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak