Whaling?

Debate serious and interesting topics, rant about politics or pop culture, or otherwise converse in essay form about your opinions. The rules of conduct here are a little stricter.
La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.09.06 (07:44)

In Australia, people tend to not like the Japanese whaling program. But I'm for it:

- minke whales aren't endangered
- norway hunts a lot of whales too
- inuits hunt threatened whales
- the "scientific" whaling program is a bit bullshit but commercial whaling should be legal so you can't blame them
- we kill and eat cows and chickens and pigs so why not whales

Discuss?
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2011.09.06 (12:13)

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2011.09.08 (17:09)

DR NGUYEN MINH CHAU wrote:In Australia, people tend to not like the Japanese whaling program. But I'm for it:

- the "scientific" whaling program is a bit bullshit but commercial whaling should be legal so you can't blame them

Discuss?
Two of your five points are invalid! You know this.

I will say that I was under the impression that most of the whales they hunt are endangered, and that they are essentially ignoring the conventions set down by the rest of the civilized world. Am I wrong?
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2011.09.08 (23:42)

boustrophedon wrote:I will say that I was under the impression that most of the whales they hunt are endangered, and that they are essentially ignoring the conventions set down by the rest of the civilized world. Am I wrong?
This is the impression I had as well. If they are hunting an oversized population of whales I don't care. Also we have domesticated your listed animals and make them fuck like rabbits so we have tons to eat. Unless someone starts a whale farm (which would be totally badass), I'm not sure you can make that comparison.
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.09.09 (05:39)

boustrophedon wrote:
DR NGUYEN MINH CHAU wrote:In Australia, people tend to not like the Japanese whaling program. But I'm for it:

Discuss?
Two of your five points are invalid! You know this.

I will say that I was under the impression that most of the whales they hunt are endangered, and that they are essentially ignoring the conventions set down by the rest of the civilized world. Am I wrong?
The vast majority of whales they catch are minke whales, which are in the 'least concern' category, and the quotas they set are so low (below one thousand per year) as to not have a impact on numbers of whales, of which there are hundreds of thousands.

Pointing to examples of other countries and groups which also hunt whales indeed does not say anything for whether or not whaling is okay--my other points serve that purpose--but it does demonstrate that the singling out of Japan is due, more-or-less, to racism.
smartalco wrote:This is the impression I had as well. If they are hunting an oversized population of whales I don't care. Also we have domesticated your listed animals and make them fuck like rabbits so we have tons to eat. Unless someone starts a whale farm (which would be totally badass), I'm not sure you can make that comparison.
Okay, then, I'll revise my comment: we eat game like deer and kangaroos, so why not whales?
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/squibbles
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby squibbles » 2011.09.09 (11:34)

DR NGUYEN MINH CHAU wrote:
smartalco wrote:This is the impression I had as well. If they are hunting an oversized population of whales I don't care. Also we have domesticated your listed animals and make them fuck like rabbits so we have tons to eat. Unless someone starts a whale farm (which would be totally badass), I'm not sure you can make that comparison.
Okay, then, I'll revise my comment: we eat game like deer and kangaroos, so why not whales?
I'm pretty sure that the more important question in light of that comment is who will be the first in our community to seriously consider starting a whale farm, even if for just a second.
spoiler

Nmaps.net

Tsukatu wrote:I don't know what it is, squibbles, but my brain keeps inserting "black" into random parts of your posts these days.
I totally just read that as, "I'd hate to be the only black guy stuck using v1.4."
[/ispoiler]

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2011.09.09 (18:19)

We could always flood Idaho for the whale farm. Nobody likes Idaho anyway.

Anywho, the premise for opposing whaling is that some whales are possibly sort of intelligent, whereas chickens and cattle and swine are not. Dolphins, of course, are as smart if not smarter than us, while whales seem to be significantly below this but intelligent enough to form very large social structures, sometimes ranging across hundreds of miles. This is mostly just blue whales, though -- minke whales are less interesting.

The most intelligent animal we ordinarily eat are pigs, no contest. Pigs are still pretty dumb, though, and they eat each other, which makes me not really concerned about eating them.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2011.09.10 (03:13)

DR NGUYEN MINH CHAU wrote:Okay, then, I'll revise my comment: we eat game like deer and kangaroos, so why not whales?
Oh my god fuck deer haven't you ever been to Texas
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Orion_

Postby Broghan » 2011.09.12 (09:16)

scythe wrote:We could always flood Idaho for the whale farm. Nobody likes Idaho anyway.

Anywho, the premise for opposing whaling is that some whales are possibly sort of intelligent, whereas chickens and cattle and swine are not. Dolphins, of course, are as smart if not smarter than us, while whales seem to be significantly below this but intelligent enough to form very large social structures, sometimes ranging across hundreds of miles. This is mostly just blue whales, though -- minke whales are less interesting.

The most intelligent animal we ordinarily eat are pigs, no contest. Pigs are still pretty dumb, though, and they eat each other, which makes me not really concerned about eating them.
This, and the fact that, from an economical standpoint at least, it is much more costly to breed whales (I'd imagine) for consumption than to breed chickens and pigs and the like.