Other 2D Platformers you like

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.

Postby organic io » 2013.10.04 (21:36)

Hey, I figure I am in like company here with people who like difficult 2d platforming. But N is not the only game I like, and I'm hoping you all know of some obscure difficult & good platformers I've never heard of.

Guidelines for this thread are simple: List a game and what system it's on (For games with multiple ports, just list the system you play it on or the one you think is best), optionally explain why you like it or what is unique about it

So I'll just list a few of my all time favorites:

Nightsky for PC - Incredible ambience and art style, and also very challenging puzzle/physics/platformer gameplay. Excellent!

Adventures of little ralph for psx - Here's a more obscure one, very difficult and rewarding.. One of my all time favorites

Ninja gaiden 1 for NES - Classic

Contra for NES - Another classic, I used to suck at this when I was a kid and use the 30 lives code, but in more recent years I have gotten to where I can beat the game without cheating. Did you know it has multiple loops which get harder each time you pass through?

Vice project doom for NES - Very solid platformer with a kind of futuristic/industrial theme, also has some of my favorite NES music ever

Klonoa series - These are kind of easier than the rest of the games on my list, but I wanted to mention it because I still thoroughly enjoyed them all (even played the Wonderswan game), a good way to unwind and enjoy some slower paced puzzle platforming

Megaman powered up for psp - Highly recommended for N fans because of the challenge mode which has about 100 short levels which are extremely difficult. It will have you trying over and over and over and over for sure, and having fun all the while!

Rocket knight adventures for genesis - Solid game with nice 16 bit graphics, gets very difficult near the end as well

Super mario bros 1 for nes - Absolute classic that pretty much started it all. I always loved the physics in this game with the running mechanic and I'm surprised more games didn't try to emulate this. But what I love the best is all the crazy difficult ROM-hacks there are. My fiancee and I played a ton of these together a few years ago

Super mario world for snes - And of course we love this as well for the wealth of ROM hacks, has an even bigger ROM hacking scene, so you could forseeably play SMW levels for the rest of your life!

Donkey kong country for snes - Though I played all 3, the 1st was and is my favorite. Absolute classic in terms of gameplay, graphics, difficulty, everything is perfect! I recently discovered there are some attempts at rom-hacking the game. I haven't tried many of these yet as the scene isn't nearly as developed as SMW hacking, but at least they're trying!

Super ghouls & ghosts for snes - Ahhh yes the crazy difficulty, great graphics too.

Skyblazer for snes - This one is kind of easier compared to the rest on my list, but I can't help mention it as an absolute classic... Lovely graphics and music, really a joy to play

Miner 2049 for pc - OK I might be showing my age here, but this is one of the first video games I ever played and I still love it to this day. In fact it would be AWESOME to see a remake of this in the N engine where the levels can be bigger.

Athletic land for msx - I didn't discover this until the PSP days on an MSX compilation, but it's actually a really cool early jump&run platformer similar to Pitfall (but better), with a crazy difficulty curve! It's got that "just one more try" addictive quality to it

Blaster master for nes - Absolute classic, I loved the exploration in this game. I guess you could say it's Metroidvania style, but I played it before that term even existed

Mario vs donkey kong for gba - Another good puzzle platformer

Donkey kong 94 GB - This curiosity is actually just entitled "Donkey Kong", but some people refer to it as Donkey Kong 94 to distinguish it, because it is MUCH more than straight out donkey kong. After you beat level 4, it changes to a puzzle-platformer mode which is actually the basis for the gameplay in newer Mario vs Donkey Kong games. Not only that, but there are 96 more levels of this... Awesome!!!! And some are fiendishly difficult, believe me

Well, that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more. But I'm curious to know, what are YOUR favorite 2d platformers, and why?

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2013.10.05 (13:46)

Also, New Super Mario Bros (DS) and Wii are fun.

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/UniverseZero
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/universezero/
MBTI Type: ENTJ
Location: The City of Sails, The Land of the Long White Cloud

Postby Universezero » 2013.10.06 (07:38)

Vyacheslav wrote:Also, New Super Mario Bros (DS) and Wii are fun.
This. Also, Super Meat Boy is awesome fun, and Knytt and Limbo are both great to play through for the experience.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ghjijhg

Postby ghjijhg » 2013.10.07 (01:12)

Jumper 1, 2, and 3 for PC was difficult, but I had fun.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2013.10.07 (10:48)

The original Spelunky is great. Like N, you die a lot, but unlike N it's not incredibly frustrating (because the levels are randomly generated and so you never have to do the same thing over and over again).
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2