--Awesome Freeware Games-- Updated today!

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.
Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2009.05.10 (14:42)

Snuggletummy wrote:-----------------------
Fraxy
-----------------------

Fraxy is a shump type game. The difference between this one and the others you've all played is that in this one, YOU create the bosses. Want a boss that looks like a battlecruiser? You can make it. Want a boss that looks like a shoe? You can make it. Want a boss that looks like a giant penis and fires lasers out of the tip? I.... you have problems, but you can make it. It's hard to explain this game. Which isn't a good thing, but, try it. And I guarentee you'll love it. Hell, I'll put some of my ships up someday.

Fraxy. Note, the site is indeed in Japanese, but, the topmost link is the latest version of the game, and it's updated pretty frequently, so check often, and yes, the game can be played in English.
Don't forget metafraxy, that huge pack that me, you, Az and a ton of other forum members made.

EDIT: Playing on my own infinimine server since I can't seem to download pops's map data when I found this:

15 blocks of gold.

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2009.05.10 (20:40)

faemir wrote:
Tsukatu wrote:
Aphex_n wrote:
if your saying dungeon crawl is copying net hacl, your wrong. There is soo many different rogue like games that focus on fantasy realms, so nethack wasn't the first. the reason the sub-genre is called rogue like, is because the first game of this sub genre was called "rogue"

but there are alot of different ones, all bringing individual things to the genre. Dungeon crawl is recognized as one of the best rogue-likes because of its vast variety (im pretty sure it has the biggest species selection, biggest class selection, and generally huge amount of customization).

nethacks alright... but dungeon crawl is better in my opinion.
I won't contest that Dungeon Crawl is one of the best (even though I've never even heard of it before now), nethack is the best. You see such a stupifyingly huge amount of variation and detail put into that game that you'll never play the same game twice. It even has a tremendous cult following, as any masterfully made game should.
So what the hell is this Dungeon Crawl bullshit?
No love for angband / variants? ;_;
angbands pretty awesome, but after playing a lot (some might say, too much) rogue likes, i think my favourites dungeon crawl

oh, and you gain plus 5 internets for having an original fallout avatar (fallout 3 sucks monkey d*ck)

Tsukatu, lets call it a truce, one mans pleasure is another mans poison, lets leave it at that :P

Didn't get a name change in the middle of the TF2 thread.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/heatwave21
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby heatwave » 2009.05.12 (02:20)

You've got me totally "hooked" (guffaw) on Teeworlds now. Awesome thread, keep it up!
spoiler

Part of this community since 2007. — Play Subvein

Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PsychoSnail
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.05.12 (04:59)

Infiniminer looks interesting, and the small download size makes me more inclined to try it. I'll get around to that soon.

I've recently gotten myself addicted (again, but this time I'm slightly better at not getting killed) to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's all the fun of the epic multiplayer of RtCW for free, and so far I haven't played a better free FPS (I haven't tried FEAR: Combat yet). The only problem I have with it is that it's quite difficult to get started in my opinion.

Edit: The link for Fraxy doesn't seem to be working (it gives a 404 error).
spoiler

Opera innovates, Firefox emulates.
Last updated: September 27th, 2009

The Konami Number
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.05.12 (09:11)

PsychoSnail wrote: The link for Fraxy doesn't seem to be working (it gives a 404 error).
I just noticed that. I fixed it. Also, Infiniminer, after playing it quite extensively, the game is absolutely amazing.
Cracked.com wrote:All video-game characters are in fact made of cotton candy. This theory, and only this theory, can explain the cat-like hydrophobia shared universally by their kind. How else are we to believe that Frogger, a frog, is killed instantly on contact with water?

Raigan and the Horse-Woman
Raigan and the Horse-Woman
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/sidke
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/shagdish

Postby sidke » 2009.05.12 (18:45)

Infiniminer is beast. It's like... the most awesome thing to succeed LEGO blocks. I seriously recommend playing it at least once. I enjoy the building aspect more than the digging for precious metals/stones, but when going up against people, they're both fun.
Great find, Snuggs :D
spoiler

辻菜摘が好きじゃー ヽ(´ー`)ノ sig by peking duck

The Konami Number
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.05.18 (02:00)

-----------------------
8-bit Killer
-----------------------

This is basically your average FPS that should be able to work on any PC. It plays like Wolfenstein, and has some pretty awesome music. I urge you to give this a go.

8-bit killer

-----------------------
Spelunky
-----------------------

The Site wrote:Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that it's (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated. And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.
The game is amazing, and I'm lacking my descriptive thing tonight.

Download

-----------------------
Action Doom 2
-----------------------

Ok, I'm going to say this, the game costs money. But there's a demo, and it's fairly long. Anyway, it's a stand alone mod for Doom 2. The game is really good, and lots of arcade stuff. It's surprisingly good though, and I urge you to try it.

Download

-----------------------
Brominer
-----------------------

This is essentially Infiniminer, but it's a mod for it. I realize this isn't exactly worth for this topic but... oh wait, YES IT IS. Download it, it's incredible.

Download
Cracked.com wrote:All video-game characters are in fact made of cotton candy. This theory, and only this theory, can explain the cat-like hydrophobia shared universally by their kind. How else are we to believe that Frogger, a frog, is killed instantly on contact with water?

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr

Postby Zephyr » 2009.05.21 (07:06)

Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.05.21 (10:00)

Alternate link to the same site: http://www.cavestory.org
Rescue: The Beagles is a good way to spend a few minutes.
If anyone hasn't heard about it, Dwarf Fortress is a very deep and long-lasting game for those who care to get past the steep learning curve (for those who don't care, just watching the world generation is fun enough).
spoiler

RoboBarber

Postby Aphex » 2009.05.22 (18:06)

I want to be the guy

This game is both awesome, and horrible terribly fustrating beyond belief.

You take the role of a tiny pixely kid who is on a quest to be "the guy". Its a basic platformer, but instead of a kid friendly, jump about, have fun style platformer, this game is built to be fustrating.

It took me about 2 hours to figure out how to get past the first screen. Thats right, not the first level, but the first screen!

For anyone who wants a challenge play this, but i warn you, this game will have you smashing your head against the wall in fustration.

I've got to the first boss fight. I bet no one can get that far :P

official website

Diagnosis Mohawk: Bahrain Cock Theory
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/spawn_of_yanni

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2009.05.22 (18:14)

Aphex_n wrote:I want to be the guy

This game is both awesome, and horrible terribly fustrating beyond belief.

You take the role of a tiny pixely kid who is on a quest to be "the guy". Its a basic platformer, but instead of a kid friendly, jump about, have fun style platformer, this game is built to be fustrating.

It took me about 2 hours to figure out how to get past the first screen. Thats right, not the first level, but the first screen!

For anyone who wants a challenge play this, but i warn you, this game will have you smashing your head against the wall in fustration.

I've got to the first boss fight. I bet no one can get that far :P

official website
Quite a few people from here have finished the game. I myself got to the last boss and then stopped playing for reasons that escape me.
feline disrespect from behind

RoboBarber

Postby Aphex » 2009.05.22 (18:23)

Spawn of Yanni wrote:
Quite a few people from here have finished the game. I myself got to the last boss and then stopped playing for reasons that escape me.
STOP RAINING ON MY PARADE!!!!

ah well, im still proud of how far i've got...

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2009.05.23 (12:46)

Which first boss? There can be many first bosses depending on the route you take at the start.
Possible Spoiler

I have two save files, one is stuck at Giant Mike Tyson, and the other is stuck at the Clown Copter :)

TORIBASH

In this game you are person/ragdoll thing and control it by moving different joints.
It can be quite confusing at first but I find that it gets quite fun after you learn how to fight properly.

http://www.toribash.com/
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/exuberance

Postby Exüberance » 2009.05.23 (13:07)

!!

That game is epic win. Beat in on normal mode, choosing the machine gun to replace the polaris. Right now I'm going for the special hard mode ending and replacing polaris with the uber charge gun (for hard mode, don't get the booster, then you can save Curly, and if you do it right, you unlock hard mode for the last level plus a überhard bonus level). I'm stuck on the 3 consecutive bosses, because I'm trying to save missiles for the uberfight which I didn't do on normal mode. :(

Best. Platformer. Ever.

I love how certain enemies and enemy groups are made a lot easier with particular guns, and the gun level system is pretty awesome. I love the Lv 2 blade. If you have no missiles, it is the destroyer of bosses. Although level 3 blade pwns against groups of enemies, it is actually worse than the level 1 and 2 blades against almost every boss.

Also, lv3 bubble gun FOR THE WIN!
And that gun that gets weaker as it level up until it shoots rubber ducks... brilliant.

5/5/5/5/5/5/5/5!
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
Comic Activity-O-Meter: (how often I'm updating my comic)
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
+ Loitering: Like comatose, but for short amount of times.
- Turtling (Loitering/Semi-Active): Really slooooww updates
+ Semi-Active: One every 2 weeks...ish?
- Quasi-Active (Semi-Active/Active): Averaging about 2 comics every 3 weeks
+ Active: Loosely defined status, but about a weekly update
- Over-Active (Active/Power-leveling): About 2 comics a week
+ Power-leveling: About 3 comics a week. Possible a schedule, possibly not
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2009.05.23 (13:11)

I'm playing it for the first time through and going for the hard ending, I regret doing so.
And yeah, I'm stuck on the triple boss fight too.
Clickme
spoiler

Yeah, I use plastic.

Semimember

Postby TornadoTK » 2009.05.23 (19:48)

You should be ashamed. D:
My informal goodbye, because I feel too detached from the community, and cannot find a way to delete my account:

Peace. \/

RoboBarber

Postby Aphex » 2009.05.23 (21:16)

TornadoTK wrote:
You should be ashamed. D:
yeah, i am....

i didn't do badly after that i got to

Mike tyson

and i beat him, but then i died on the next section, and it restarted me just before the boss fight, so i was like :/

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.05.24 (05:20)

Aphex_n wrote:I want to be the guy
Aaahh, I hate that game. I've tried playing it several times, but the sheer randomness and the memorization-based (rather than skill-based) difficulty make it not fun in my opinion.

Eversion. Simply creepy. I've completed both endings of version 1.5.2, and I downloaded v1.7.3 today.
z3phyr wrote:And yeah, I'm stuck on the triple boss fight too.
In my opinion, that part's harder than the Hell stage of the hard ending, especially if you're trying to save rockets for Hell. By the way, in case you didn't know, your health is refilled after the triple bosses.

My best Hell speedrun time on Cave Story is 2:51.6. Speaking of which, maybe I should do a Min. Equips run someday.
spoiler

Bayking

Postby Exüberance » 2009.05.24 (18:52)

In my opinion, that part's harder than the Hell stage of the hard ending, especially if you're trying to save rockets for Hell. By the way, in case you didn't know, your health is refilled after the triple bosses.

My best Hell speedrun time on Cave Story is 2:51.6. Speaking of which, maybe I should do a Min. Equips run someday.
If you do use missiles, it's actually super-easy. It's just getting past the doctor without using missiles that keeps screwing me up.

Misery is really really easy if you know what to do. Don't jump to dodge. You can dodge everything just by walking. Juming just screws you up. Misery won't do her main attacks until just after she teleports, so you can just keep firing and know exactely when to move. You may not want to attack her if she's low enough to the ground for the spinning circles to hit you. I always attack by runnign directly underneath her and firing whichever weapon you traded the polaris gun for straight up.

If you're not saving missiles, the doctor fight takes like 15 seconds (I hope you chose to level the missile launcher in last cave). How do defeat him: MISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEdead (just don't waste missiles by attacking him when the crystal is in front of him, not that you'll need them for the undead core, but you might for hard mode boss)
If you're saving missiles, I would recommend the charge gun (if you have it) and the level 2 blade (slightly risky, but ultimately might be safer), though I have yet to get a really good strategy for him

As for undead core: don't try and kill Misery, she spawns tons of enemies which just end up dropping health for you. She actually HELPS you if you have good weapons. If you have the level 3 blade you can mass kill the whole screen with it. Or just use your modified version of the polaris. The charge gun will go through everyone, the machine gun will anihlate them pretty quick, and apparently you can get a special gun that goes through walls and enemies by trading in the polaris and fireball at one point, but I've only done the machine gun and charge gun way. As for the actual main boss: get in very very close and just keep mashing the fire button with the Level 2 blade. It is the destroyer of bosses. If you have level 3 blade, get hurt. You'll do a lot better against bosses with the level 2 blade than with level 3. And if you haven't leveled key weapons to level 3, do that in this fight by equiping it after slaying misery's armies and running through the xp triangles.

Oh yeah, you can also heal up to 14 health between the Doctor and Undead Core by talking to the purple mimiga in the cage twice. (it makes hearts appear). But you shouuld be able to heal yourself to full though by destroying the enemies Misery summons in the 3rd fight before attacking the boss itself.

EDIT: If you have the machine gun, the 2nd part of the doctor fight is very very easy: use level 3 machine gun to fly. Shoot straight down at doctor. Only his attacks where we teleports above you can hurt you then.
If you don't have the machine gun, use the blade.
EDIT AGAIN: I decided not to bother saving missiles. I got 13 back in the undead core fight, haeled to full, and got my rocket launcher back to level 3 from level 2. Thanks for the enemies, Misery! Hopefully saving with 13 missiles won't screw me up! I also noticed I missed a +3 max hp container somewhere so I only have 47 health instead of 50 going into the special level :(

When the blocks are falling after killing the 3 bosses, just keep doing tiny hops and boosting left with the v2 booster and you shouldn't get hit. If you DO get hit, save in the shelter, then inspect the bookshelf (mind the gap) and say YES if it asks if you are giving up. It will teleport you back to where the blocks start falling (and I assume it gives you back health) so you can do it again without getting hurt, then save.

LOL, first attempt at secret level: Lasted 2 seconds, fell into death trap! Woo! Go me!
Last edited by Exüberance on 2009.05.25 (15:23), edited 1 time in total.
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.05.24 (20:15)

Exüberance wrote:LOL, first attempt at secret level: Lasted 2 seconds, fell into death trap! Woo! Go me!
LOL, I lasted about 3 seconds on my first attempt.
spoiler

The Dreamster Teamster
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby Combo Bustperson » 2009.05.25 (04:08)

Exüberance wrote:

If you do use missiles, it's actually super-easy. It's just getting past the doctor without using missiles that keeps screwing me up.

Misery is really really easy if you know what to do. Don't jump to dodge. You can dodge everything just by walking. Juming just screws you up. Misery won't do her main attacks until just after she teleports, so you can just keep firing and know exactely when to move. You may not want to attack her if she's low enough to the ground for the spinning circles to hit you. I always attack by runnign directly underneath her and firing whichever weapon you traded the polaris gun for straight up.

If you're not saving missiles, the doctor fight takes like 15 seconds (I hope you chose to level the missile launcher in last cave). How do defeat him: MISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEMISSILEdead (just don't waste missiles by attacking him when the crystal is in front of him, not that you'll need them for the undead core, but you might for hard mode boss)
If you're saving missiles, I would recommend the charge gun (if you have it) and the level 2 blade (slightly risky, but ultimately might be safer), though I have yet to get a really good strategy for him

As for undead core: don't try and kill Misery, she spawns tons of enemies which just end up dropping health for you. She actually HELPS you if you have good weapons. If you have the level 3 blade you can mass kill the whole screen with it. Or just use your modified version of the polaris. The charge gun will go through everyone, the machine gun will anihlate them pretty quick, and apparently you can get a special gun that goes through walls and enemies by trading in the polaris and fireball at one point, but I've only done the machine gun and charge gun way. As for the actual main boss: get in very very close and just keep mashing the fire button with the Level 2 blade. It is the destroyer of bosses. If you have level 3 blade, get hurt. You'll do a lot better against bosses with the level 2 blade than with level 3. And if you haven't leveled key weapons to level 3, do that in this fight by equiping it after slaying misery's armies and running through the xp triangles.

Oh yeah, you can also heal up to 14 health between the Doctor and Undead Core by talking to the purple mimiga in the cage twice. (it makes hearts appear). But you shouuld be able to heal yourself to full though by destroying the enemies Misery summons in the 3rd fight before attacking the boss itself.

EDIT: If you have the machine gun, the 2nd part of the doctor fight is very very easy: use level 3 machine gun to fly. Shoot straight down at doctor. Only his attacks where we teleports above you can hurt you then.
If you don't have the machine gun, use the blade.
EDIT AGAIN: I decided not to bother saving missiles. I got 13 back in the undead core fight, haeled to full, and got my rocket launcher back to level 3 from level 2. Thanks for the enemies, Misery! Hopefully saving with 13 missiles won't screw me up! I also noticed I missed a +3 max hp container somewhere so I only have 47 health instead of 55 going into the special level :(

When the blocks are falling after killing the 3 bosses, just keep doing tiny hops and boosting left with the v2 booster and you shouldn't get hit. If you DO get hit, save in the shelter, then inspect the bookshelf (mind the gap) and say YES if it asks if you are giving up. It will teleport you back to where the blocks start falling (and I assume it gives you back health) so you can do it again without getting hurt, then save.

LOL, first attempt at secret level: Lasted 2 seconds, fell into death trap! Woo! Go me!
You think the triple boss battle is tough? I could do that shit in my sleep. Now the final boss, with the L.1 bubbler, that is tough. Now I'm gonna go and beat the game, again.

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.05.28 (04:08)

La Mulana. Epic 16-color win. The game is HUGE - it takes quite a while to beat even if you know what you're doing.
spoiler

Bayking

Postby Exüberance » 2009.05.28 (14:57)

PsychoSnail wrote:La Mulana. Epic 16-color win. The game is HUGE - it takes quite a while to beat even if you know what you're doing.
Hah. That 3rd screenshot looks a lot like the original Legend of Zelda. <3
After Cave Story reminded me how awesome platformers are when you do it right, I have the urge to 1) play more patformers and 2) make an epic platformer.
Curse you and your heavy rock form, Ballos! Health Potion and then 2 seconds later it's gone again >:(

Hah, it was originally in Japanese too. Apparently pixelated Japanese platformers = epic win (cause correlation is a proof, right guys? right? no? okay.)

EDIT: Is there any way to make that game run in windowed mode? Fullscreen is kind of dumb.

Exüberance on WoW

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.05.28 (23:26)

Exüberance wrote:EDIT: Is there any way to make that game run in windowed mode? Fullscreen is kind of dumb.
Alt-Enter. Then use F7 to change the screen size.
spoiler

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/UnknownKirbyMan

Postby UnknownKirbyMan » 2009.06.03 (22:53)

How do you create multiple save files in Cave Story?