Metanet's Team Fortress 2 Thread!

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.
Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2009.06.01 (15:32)

Yahoozy wrote:Also, as an aside, I got the Razorback via the third Sniper milestone. I haven't really used it, but, as far as I can tell, I don't like it much. I'd rather the SMG over Jarate or the Razorback anyday. I'm not a fan of the Sniper Update as a whole, really.
Why would you prefer the SMG over anything? It does practically no damage. Since they added a crosshair to the sniper rifle (is there a way to remove that? I don't like it), and the bow always has one, you can do more damage with either of those now.
I had the Razorback for quite awhile (saved my ass so many times), unlocked Jarate, equipped it, got backstabbed 5 times in the next ten minutes, went back to the Razorback and I don't intend to switch again.

I still haven't made up my mind about the Huntsman. I do find it fun to play with, but then I switch back to the rifle and starting getting double the kills.
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Yahoozy
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby  yahoozy » 2009.06.01 (17:50)

smartalco wrote: Why would you prefer the SMG over anything? It does practically no damage. Since they added a crosshair to the sniper rifle (is there a way to remove that? I don't like it), and the bow always has one, you can do more damage with either of those now.
I had the Razorback for quite awhile (saved my ass so many times), unlocked Jarate, equipped it, got backstabbed 5 times in the next ten minutes, went back to the Razorback and I don't intend to switch again.

I still haven't made up my mind about the Huntsman. I do find it fun to play with, but then I switch back to the rifle and starting getting double the kills.
I've gotten used to quickly switching from the rifle to the SMG at close range, and I'm pretty good about killing people with it, as well. It /does/ deal a good bit of damage, and I get critical shots often. I know how much damage the no-scoped rifle can do, but, like you, I have an ardent distaste for the rifle crosshair. I'm looking at it instead of the enemy. I'm much better off without it. I also agree with you on the Huntsman. I've used it twice, maybe. I find the people using the Huntsman didn't play much Sniper before the update, and the fervent Sniper-lovers would much rather the rifle.

Cross-Galactic Train Conducter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/T3chno
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby T3chno » 2009.06.01 (23:42)

I wish that they put the Huntsman as an alternative to the SMG. Jarate and Razorback for the Kukri.

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.06.02 (00:23)

I don't think I've used the sniper's SMG in ages. I also prefer the original rifle over the bow, so I hit 3 followed by Q right when I spawn, and that way the only weapons I ever use are <= 1 quick button away. I'm a fan of the kukri.

I really am disappointed with the longbow, though. I think I found out why, too.
It's at its best at short range, which just about always puts you at or just before the front lines. Some people find ambush spots at that distance, but those are usually very short-lived and hard to get to when the chaos picks up again. As a sniper, you move about as quickly as a heavy runs normally when you're aiming, and you also have much less health and no combat options against groups or even fast-moving opponents like scouts. So you're basically a heavy or a soldier with far less health who can only focus on a single target at a time, with an attack that takes a second to charge up, and zero splash damage in case you miss... and most of the time you need a headshot to down someone on the front lines.
As I play, I'm seeing more and more snipers who try to use the bow at long range and get sniped, only to move closer to the front lines to be torn apart by the classes that actually belong there. And on top of that, I've been playing a spy much more than anything else these days, and when I see two or three snipers at the front lines having to focus on enemy snipers and my team's front lines, it's friggin' Christmas come early for me. Even the ones that have the Razorback can be taken down in short order because they have too much to focus on (even if that spy achievement about backstabbing a sniper with a Razorback required 10 or 20 kills, I'd still have gotten it in very short order).
Snipers are much more efficient, safe, and generally useful when they're far away and sniping. Y'know, like they're supposed to. Taking a class designed for long-distance and giving them a weapon that's most useful at short-medium range should already sound like a bad idea in theory, and in practice you see that all the losers who think they're good with a bow get slaughtered consistently by a team with equally skilled snipers with rifles. The snipers using bows spend 90% of their time waiting to respawn and trying to get back to the front lines without dying. I really wish that more people would realize that the sniper rifle does, in fact, have higher potential.

On an unrelated note, I'm also not a fan of the Dead Ringer, since I'm generally not a fan of items that require you to fail in order to be useful. I'd much rather have an item that helps me do more things and/or do the things I already do better, than have a failsafe. Unless you're against an uncommonly paranoid team, it is not difficult to live in the enemy base and terrorize their defense if you're patient, and you've already fucked up if you find your Dead Ringer being triggered (especially since people are getting used to hearing the noise and killing you immediately again).
The Cloak and Dagger is bloody amazing. It's really more than I could ask for as a spy. And the Ambassador is fantastic as well.
Like I said, I can't really imagine that I'd play other classes very frequently at all, until the Engineer update comes out.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2009.06.02 (04:03)

I think I figured out why the Huntsman made it in as it did. They were too busy playtesting the double payload map with it. The second section of that map is ridiculous good for the bow (and a little bit on the first section). You can hide just around the corner, peak out to shoot (often into a crowd, you don't need to aim that well), then hide again. I just had a 17 kill, 6 assist life doing that. Then on stage 3, I switch back to the rifle and camp the sniper window. So, for this particular map, its split pretty even between the usefulness of the bow vs the rifle. On something like Badwater though, horrible idea.

I'm still lovin' Razorback, fuck spies. (Unfortunately, I still don't have a good demo-spam counter).
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue

Postby a happy song » 2009.06.14 (08:18)

Oh man, I just got a new toy for TF2!

Belkin n52te.

This thing is absolutely fantastic. 14 buttons on the main pad, two more for thumb plus an 8 axis thumbstick, ability to switch between three different key maps on the fly, I don't know how I got on without it!

Also the key maps are coded by coloured lights (red, blue, and green), so switching between RED and BLU disguise maps is absolutely perfect.

Set up is:

Mouse:
Scroll up - Weapon Slot 1
Scroll down - Weapon Slot 2
m4 - Weapon slot 3
m5 - Voice Chat

n52te

Main pad:
wasd
taunt
"spy" or Destroy Sentry depending on map
"sentry ahead" or Destroy Dispenser depending on map
"medic" or Destroy Entrance depending on map
"ubercharge ready" or Destroy Exit depending on map
"thanks"
reload
duck
switch class
switch teams

Thumb pads:
Jump
Scoreboard

8 axis tumbstick map 1:
Instant disguises bound to each direction BLU (minus scout)

8 axis tumbstick map 2:
Instant disguises bound to each direction RED (minus scout)

8 axis tumbstick map 3:
Up - Build Sentry
Right - Build Dispenser
Down - Build Teleporter Entrance
Left - Build Teleporter Exit

Scroll wheel:
Switch between maps.

-

Brilliant! :)
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Calcy » 2009.06.14 (14:37)

atob wrote:Oh man, I just got a new toy for TF2!

Belkin n52te.
You are ridiculous. I do approve of the insta-disguise, though.

Speaking of which: I was making a script for the spy so that one could disguise using groups (for example, to disguise as an enemy sniper, you'd press 4 3 2 instead of 4 8), but I was running into some trouble dealing with the HUD. So I emailed the TF2 dev team, and the dude who responded to me couldn't fix the HUD without breaking other things, so he just decided that he would make this system the default.

Your whole way of disguising will change in approximately <Valve Time>, thanks to me. (There will be the option of still using 1-9, though.)

Postby T3chno » 2009.06.14 (17:50)

Oh, nice Calcs. Still kinda confused what it does though. Just not understanding what you mean by groups.

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.06.14 (19:36)

The nine classes are divided into three subgroups.
Loathes

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Calcy » 2009.06.14 (19:59)

Techno wrote:Oh, nice Calcs. Still kinda confused what it does though. Just not understanding what you mean by groups.
It'll basically end up looking similar to this.

Postby T3chno » 2009.06.14 (20:20)

OH, that's nice. Definitely will be easier to disguise.

Slice of Wisdom

Postby kai » 2009.06.18 (02:57)

Holy hell yea it will. awesome work calcy!!!

Postby T3chno » 2009.06.18 (03:52)

I was wondering how cool it would be if you could choose a person to disguise as. Might now work well, though.

Oh, we can has TF2 competition? Like getting set up into 2 (somewhat) even teams.

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Calcy » 2009.06.18 (04:22)

Techno wrote:Oh, we can has TF2 competition? Like getting set up into 2 (somewhat) even teams.
I'd love to have a friendly PUG on the server at some point in the near future, with tournament mode enabled and other fancy stuff. Unfortunately, I can't really play TF2 at the moment since my gaming comp died, but that should be fixed by next week.

Ideally, we'd play 8v8 or 9v9 (6v6 is too tiny, IMO), but I'm not sure if we can get 16 Metanetters in the server at the same time. :\

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.06.18 (05:06)

Waaaaaaah, anyone know when the next update's coming out?
And it better be for Engineers... e_e
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.06.18 (05:52)

The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Mr. Glass

Postby a happy song » 2009.06.18 (10:10)

Calcy wrote:
Techno wrote:Oh, nice Calcs. Still kinda confused what it does though. Just not understanding what you mean by groups.
It'll basically end up looking similar to this.
That's really cool. Over time the three digit codes needed will become second nature, and you'll be able to disguise so much faster. Excellent work, Calcy!
spoiler

n

-
M U S I C

-
A R T

-
G A M I N G

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.06.18 (14:21)

I probably won't be available to play until close to the end of the summer. That being said, I'm still paying for the gorram thing, so have fun! ^.^
Loathes

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Calcy » 2009.06.19 (22:49)

Mr. Glass

Postby a happy song » 2009.06.19 (23:34)

Aye. I waste as much time there as I do here. Hope you don't mind me sharing there.

Glad to see it's being considered as an optional switch, too.
spoiler

n

-
M U S I C

-
A R T

-
G A M I N G

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Calcy » 2009.06.20 (01:46)

atob wrote:Aye. I waste as much time there as I do here. Hope you don't mind me sharing there.

Glad to see it's being considered as an optional switch, too.
I don't mind at all. I was going to post it there, but completely forgot.

Postby T3chno » 2009.06.22 (18:57)

So, um, the other day, the guys on this one server were really bored, so we did this.

Thought it might be fun to show you guys.

Schlock Schtock and Two Schmoking Barrels
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/chase16/
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Chase » 2009.06.22 (20:46)

Techno wrote:So, um, the other day, the guys on this one server were really bored, so we did this.

The Engineer is a Spy!

Postby T3chno » 2009.06.22 (22:04)

Chase wrote:
Techno wrote:So, um, the other day, the guys on this one server were really bored, so we did this.

The Engineer is a Spy!
In the end, one dick joined the server and sapped all that shit. Oh yeah, and a lil' while before that, some engy on the other team built a sentry, which is why I don't have full health despite the dispenser orgy.

Semimember

Postby TornadoTK » 2009.06.24 (05:01)

As for the bind talk from earlier, I stick to the generic stuff and only have instant spy binds on the Numpad. 1-9 for each class, "/" to pick from Red disguises, and "*" to pick from Blu disguises. Simple.
My informal goodbye, because I feel too detached from the community, and cannot find a way to delete my account:

Peace. \/