Cards And Then You Platform - A Game Jam Game

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.
Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2011.05.17 (02:40)

This weekend, I had the pleasure of participating in my first game jam. Basically, what that infers is that I spent from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening (a little over 48 hours) with 250 other people, all making games. We started and finished this weekend and this is what I have to show for it.

Cards And Then You Platform is a puzzle platformer. It's massively intuitive so I won't bore you with a detailed how-to-play but the basic concept is that you have a set pool of actions to choose from and you have to use those to solve the level in real time. All the levels were made using the included level editor. The editor is exactly the opposite of the game in terms of being intuitive but there is a readme included if you want to mess around with it.

If you're still with me, a few notes about potential problems. You don't have to read this but you might wish you had if it doesn't work. The game height is 1000 pixels which means that unless you have a 1080p monitor, you probably aren't going to be able to play this game. Windows only and make sure you're running the .bat file that matches your OS. If neither are working, it's likely that you're on x64 but don't have the x64 Java runtimes installed because java.com is stupid and will just install the x32 runtimes despite what OS you have. It's possible that the x32 game will work for you but I'm not sure. I am sure that this works, though. Go here and install the Windows x64 Java runtimes. If there's still a problem, open the .bat appropriate for you system in notepad, write "pause" at the bottom, save it, run it again and copy what it says somewhere where you can show it to me.

Remember. Two days. Enjoy! :D

Windows: http://www.box.net/shared/9zne5txy4z
Linux: http://www.box.net/shared/hqamhp8y5g
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Smoothest Taint in the West
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ska
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby ska » 2011.05.17 (14:25)

hmm... I respect the effort, but needing a 1080p monitor to play? i can understand needing a 720p or even 800 pixel requirement but requiring 1920 x 1080 is just ridiculous... like only 1 in fifty people will be even able to play your game. doesn't make any sense to me... why is there no resize/res changing option?

Cropped Screenshot: Image

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2011.05.17 (14:30)

I didn't have the time to implement scrolled level graphics. Made in two days, yeah?
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2011.05.17 (16:45)

Trash.

Keep using that "two days" defense.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!