How do I install N on Ubuntu

Talk about the classic version of Metanet Software's amazingly popular freeware platformer right here!
Almost as Bad as One

Postby emaus » 2012.08.04 (16:14)

After trying to install it for 2 times, I have not succeeded. There is no makefile or install file inside the tarball.

It's a shame, because I'm a long time N player and would like to continue playing it on Linux.

The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/beginner2
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby mediate » 2012.08.04 (23:15)

You don't install it. You launch the executable file (n_v14). You may need to mark it as executable to run it.

If it doesn't work out of the box, I'd recommend running it as a windows application through Wine. You'll save yourself quite a bit of trouble, as there are some older dependencies that it requires, which may break your system. It's an old application ... :(

EDIT: run ldd n_v14 to find out what libraries you need to track down if you want to run it.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2012.08.05 (00:25)

mediate wrote:You don't install it. You launch the executable file (n_v14). You may need to mark it as executable to run it.

If it doesn't work out of the box, I'd recommend running it as a windows application through Wine. You'll save yourself quite a bit of trouble, as there are some older dependencies that it requires, which may break your system. It's an old application ... :(

EDIT: run ldd n_v14 to find out what libraries you need to track down if you want to run it.
I've been told Wine works well. But if all else fails, download NReality and you can just run the .swf file.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Almost as Bad as One

Postby emaus » 2012.08.07 (19:48)

N is working, but I cannot access the debug menu (and userlevels doesn't work, the ingame menu shows no maps). I've tried å, ö, ä, ^, *, §, > and ` keys, but none work. I'm at a loss here.