The N Game 3?

Talk about the classic version of Metanet Software's amazingly popular freeware platformer right here!
The N Game 3?

Postby dezmomo » 2010.02.16 (04:41)

Any ideas you guys have for a new game?
I am thinking of maybe around 30+ normal levels, like the games are right now, and at the end of the normal gameplay, you obtain this item or object of some sort that lets you create the red mines, and floor guards etc. so that they help you fight. Then adventure mode is unlocked and in this mode, you get to use the floor guards and mines etc. to help you fight some sort of creatures, and at the end of every adventure mode episode or every few episodes, you fight a boss, which you need to use the floor guards and other objects to help you defeat it.
I havn't figured out the storyline yet but maybe just a normal damsel in distress.
This may boost sales, make the N series more popular and for all the fans out here, the N ninja might be a character in the Super Smash Bros. series or something really popular.

Opinions, other ideas?

Didn't get a name change in the middle of the TF2 thread.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/heatwave21
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby heatwave » 2010.02.16 (05:27)

Well, I can tell you right now that Metanet Software won't make it.
spoiler

Part of this community since 2007. — Play Subvein

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2010.02.17 (01:51)

Why stop there? Why not ninja weapons and multiplayer?
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Postby dezmomo » 2010.02.17 (02:56)

Why stop there? Why not ninja weapons and multiplayer?

Are you being sarcastic? If not that is a pretty cool idea. Multiplayer would be awesome.

Didn't get a name change in the middle of the TF2 thread.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/heatwave21
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby heatwave » 2010.02.17 (02:57)

Tsukatu wrote:Why stop there? Why not ninja weapons and multiplayer?
*giggles*
spoiler

Part of this community since 2007. — Play Subvein

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/squibbles
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby squibbles » 2010.02.17 (03:35)

Or how about a bad ninja! He could run around stealing the gold before you get it, and if he saw you, he would attack with his own weapons!

He should be called Quentin!
spoiler

Nmaps.net

Tsukatu wrote:I don't know what it is, squibbles, but my brain keeps inserting "black" into random parts of your posts these days.
I totally just read that as, "I'd hate to be the only black guy stuck using v1.4."
[/ispoiler]

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2010.02.17 (18:44)

What about if the player could earn a grapple gun and be able to run upside-down on the ceiling? That'd probably go well with side-scrolling the game to expand level space, or just have the levels wrap around. And it'd be even more awesome to have, like, a crouch or lie-down button so that the ninja could get into tight spaces or better avoid enemies.
And on the subject of dealing with enemies, if you can't have weapons, why not earn expanded health so it'd require multiple hits to take you down? Or put in some slo-mo/bullet-time button to help you avoid them in the first place. No doubt double-jumping would make the game that much more exciting and level design that much more interesting, as would introduction of, say, water that he might have to swim through or darker areas of the map in which he can't see. Maybe toss in some power-ups like invisibility or temporary invincibility?
Or, like, other objects: push blocks, fans, vacuums, elevators that aren't thwumps, etc. Tiles that can't be bounced off of might be cool, too. Or y'know what else would be badass? Some kind of switch that puts the level upside-down! That'd own face. Course, the doors have always bored me, too. You could at least make trap doors into colored doors that require colored switches or keys, or require switches in a specific sequence to open a door. What about timed doors, or trap doors activated by trip lasers?
You might also consider giving the enemies themselves an overhaul. I personally like the idea of a drone that only detects you when you move, so that you have to avoid it by holding still. Ghost drones that could pass through walls would also be great, or drones that damage each other. A little variety is all I'm asking for... flamethrowers, freeze rays, lasers that follow you, lauchers of goo that slows you down, darts, spikes, spear-shooters... lots of good material here. And the final levels always ended up feeling lackluster, so maybe we could throw in some kind of boss drone that needs to be defeated somehow. Maybe the boss could be an "evil" ninja that tries to sabotage your progress. At the very least, you could import demo data and race against a high score "ghost" as you play. I'm sure that'd be a feature that high-scorers would appreciate.
Better yet, how about we deck him out with clothes? It's purely aesthetic, sure, but how badass would, like, a long red scarf be? Or, y'know, other cosmetic effects besides the dull grey, like torches, ice, trees (like Lode Runner?), background graphics, themed skins for enemies and objects... heck, how about custom sounds, or even your own background music?
Or if you want to do a major overhaul, you could go with vector-graphics maps. Or online volleyball!!
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Phei Phei Pho Phum
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Pheidippides » 2010.02.17 (19:27)

Tsukatu wrote:What about if the player could earn a grapple gun and be able to run upside-down on the ceiling? That'd probably go well with side-scrolling the game to expand level space, or just have the levels wrap around. And it'd be even more awesome to have, like, a crouch or lie-down button so that the ninja could get into tight spaces or better avoid enemies.
And on the subject of dealing with enemies, if you can't have weapons, why not earn expanded health so it'd require multiple hits to take you down? Or put in some slo-mo/bullet-time button to help you avoid them in the first place. No doubt double-jumping would make the game that much more exciting and level design that much more interesting, as would introduction of, say, water that he might have to swim through or darker areas of the map in which he can't see. Maybe toss in some power-ups like invisibility or temporary invincibility?
Or, like, other objects: push blocks, fans, vacuums, elevators that aren't thwumps, etc. Tiles that can't be bounced off of might be cool, too. Or y'know what else would be badass? Some kind of switch that puts the level upside-down! That'd own face. Course, the doors have always bored me, too. You could at least make trap doors into colored doors that require colored switches or keys, or require switches in a specific sequence to open a door. What about timed doors, or trap doors activated by trip lasers?
You might also consider giving the enemies themselves an overhaul. I personally like the idea of a drone that only detects you when you move, so that you have to avoid it by holding still. Ghost drones that could pass through walls would also be great, or drones that damage each other. A little variety is all I'm asking for... flamethrowers, freeze rays, lasers that follow you, lauchers of goo that slows you down, darts, spikes, spear-shooters... lots of good material here. And the final levels always ended up feeling lackluster, so maybe we could throw in some kind of boss drone that needs to be defeated somehow. Maybe the boss could be an "evil" ninja that tries to sabotage your progress. At the very least, you could import demo data and race against a high score "ghost" as you play. I'm sure that'd be a feature that high-scorers would appreciate.
Better yet, how about we deck him out with clothes? It's purely aesthetic, sure, but how badass would, like, a long red scarf be? Or, y'know, other cosmetic effects besides the dull grey, like torches, ice, trees (like Lode Runner?), background graphics, themed skins for enemies and objects... heck, how about custom sounds, or even your own background music?
Or if you want to do a major overhaul, you could go with vector-graphics maps. Or online volleyball!!
Hahaha, wow. I think you just summarized the old Suggestions forum in its entirety. XD

The point is, dezmomo, that every suggestion in the book has been conceived already, and they are all equally unlikely to ever happen. If you're gonna hold on to hope about it, that hope lies in NReality. Besides, N's charm lies in its simplicity. ;)
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

Radio Douchebag
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Rhekatou

Postby Rhekatou » 2010.02.17 (19:33)

Pheidippides wrote:
Tsukatu wrote:What about if the player could earn a grapple gun and be able to run upside-down on the ceiling? That'd probably go well with side-scrolling the game to expand level space, or just have the levels wrap around. And it'd be even more awesome to have, like, a crouch or lie-down button so that the ninja could get into tight spaces or better avoid enemies.
Hahaha, wow. I think you just summarized the old Suggestions forum in its entirety. XD

The point is, dezmomo, that every suggestion in the book has been conceived already, and they are all equally unlikely to ever happen. If you're gonna hold on to hope about it, that hope lies in NReality. Besides, N's charm lies in its simplicity. ;)
He also summarized the Robotology demo in his fisrt few sentences.

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2010.02.17 (22:50)

Rhekatou wrote:
Pheidippides wrote:

He also summarized the Robotology demo in his fisrt few sentences.
No, suggestions for that were way before robotology.

Radio Douchebag

Postby Rhekatou » 2010.02.17 (22:55)

Pheidi wrote:N's charm lies in its simplicity. ;)
'nuff said.

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/29403
Steam: What's Steam

Postby 29403 » 2010.02.21 (17:54)

Don't ever use that "phrase".

Oh... the joys of the Suggestion Thread in the old forum... ¦:D
sig by donfuy.
Not from Charleston, South Carolina
This Forum is probably the best forum that i have ever used and i would just like to say how proud i am to be a member of this forum

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby unoriginal name » 2010.02.22 (06:50)

Post of the year? Post of the year.

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/_destiny%5E%2D
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Destiny » 2010.02.23 (07:53)

I second suki's post of the year

Online volleyball XD

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy

Postby Kablizzy » 2010.02.23 (09:27)

xVxCrushloaderusSupremusxVx wrote:
Post of the year? Post of the year.
Post of the year indeed. It's funny, because I've always equated Tsukatu to a coconut. Well... rather, he's like trying to *crack* a coconut. At first, you look at it, and you go, "Pff, that shit doesn't look *that* hard..." and so you pick up a rock, roll up your sleeves, and spit into the sand a tad. You kneel down in front of the nut, raise the rock overhead with both fists, and bring it down squarely upon the coconut, only to be met with a soft and unappealing *thud*. You grimace a bit as the shock from hitting a rock against what must surely only be another rock jolts upwards into your shoulders. Puzzled, you toss the rock down at your feet and pick up the coconut, shake it a bit, squeezing it firmly between your hands. You set it back down into the sand, lifting the rock once more, this time aiming the sharp part directly at the coconut's center. You hurl the rock downward, slamming the sharp point of the rock into the nut's center, again to no avail. Now frustrated, you shift the coconut's position to in-between your legs, gripping it tightly in-between your knees, slamming the rock down once more with all your strength, only to be met with the same slap of your hands against solid rock. Surely, it must be the rock, you think. It's not sharp enough, you assume. Thus, you pull out your machete, lining the coconut up so that you can grip it with your feet and stab it heartily with your newly-acquired tool of coconutty destruction. You stab deeply into the coconut, only to realize that OH SHIT THAT WAS YOUR FUCKING FOOT. AH GOD WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST DO YOU JUST STABBED YOUR GODDAMN FOOT! YOU RETARD! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!? THERE'S A FUCKING OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE RIGHT GODDAMN THERE! WHY DID YOU WANT TO CRACK THAT COCONUT ANYWAY? AH JESUS YOU'RE FUCKING BLEEDING AND THERE'S A KNIFE IN YOUR FOOT AND IT'S BIG AND YOU PROBABLY CAN'T WALK. NOW YOU'RE GOING TO DIE LISTENING TO ACE OF BASE'S "ALL THAT SHE WANTS" ON REPEAT WHILE YOU FADE TO BLACK AND... Hey, what's that light?
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2010.02.23 (20:11)

Blizz makes /his/ play for PotY.

EDIT: "You pull out your machete..." reminded me of this old Derrick Comedy bit.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2010.02.23 (21:26)

Smörgåsbord wrote:Post of the year indeed. It's funny, because I've always equated Tsukatu to a coconut. Well... rather, he's like trying to *crack* a coconut. At first, you look at it, and you go, "Pff, that shit doesn't look *that* hard..." and so you pick up a rock, roll up your sleeves, and spit into the sand a tad. You kneel down in front of the nut, raise the rock overhead with both fists, and bring it down squarely upon the coconut, only to be met with a soft and unappealing *thud*. You grimace a bit as the shock from hitting a rock against what must surely only be another rock jolts upwards into your shoulders. Puzzled, you toss the rock down at your feet and pick up the coconut, shake it a bit, squeezing it firmly between your hands. You set it back down into the sand, lifting the rock once more, this time aiming the sharp part directly at the coconut's center. You hurl the rock downward, slamming the sharp point of the rock into the nut's center, again to no avail. Now frustrated, you shift the coconut's position to in-between your legs, gripping it tightly in-between your knees, slamming the rock down once more with all your strength, only to be met with the same slap of your hands against solid rock. Surely, it must be the rock, you think. It's not sharp enough, you assume. Thus, you pull out your machete, lining the coconut up so that you can grip it with your feet and stab it heartily with your newly-acquired tool of coconutty destruction. You stab deeply into the coconut, only to realize that OH SHIT THAT WAS YOUR FUCKING FOOT. AH GOD WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST DO YOU JUST STABBED YOUR GODDAMN FOOT! YOU RETARD! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!? THERE'S A FUCKING OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE RIGHT GODDAMN THERE! WHY DID YOU WANT TO CRACK THAT COCONUT ANYWAY? AH JESUS YOU'RE FUCKING BLEEDING AND THERE'S A KNIFE IN YOUR FOOT AND IT'S BIG AND YOU PROBABLY CAN'T WALK. NOW YOU'RE GOING TO DIE LISTENING TO ACE OF BASE'S "ALL THAT SHE WANTS" ON REPEAT WHILE YOU FADE TO BLACK AND... Hey, what's that light?
Er... hard as in stubborn or hard as in Vinne Jones?
...or hard as in boners? These aren't exactly mutually exclusive.
spoiler

Radio Douchebag

Postby Rhekatou » 2010.02.23 (23:18)

Why aren't we all asking ourselves why he's saying "The N Game 3" and not v_1.5?

Phei Phei Pho Phum
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Pheidippides » 2010.02.23 (23:34)

Rhekatou wrote:Why aren't we all asking ourselves why he's saying "The N Game 3" and not v_1.5?
Because only you feel the need to nitpick about pointless trifles like that.
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/squibbles

Postby squibbles » 2010.02.24 (00:59)

Rhekatou wrote:Why aren't we all asking ourselves why he's saying "The N Game 3" and not v_1.5?
Wait, what the fuck was N Game 2?
spoiler

Nmaps.net

Tsukatu wrote:I don't know what it is, squibbles, but my brain keeps inserting "black" into random parts of your posts these days.
I totally just read that as, "I'd hate to be the only black guy stuck using v1.4."
[/ispoiler]

Radio Douchebag

Postby Rhekatou » 2010.02.24 (01:00)

squibbles wrote:
Wait, what the fuck was N Game 2?
Pheidi wrote: only you feel the need to nitpick about pointless trifles like that.

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy

Postby Kablizzy » 2010.02.24 (05:01)

Tsukatu wrote:boners?
Hurr hurr... boner.
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2010.02.24 (05:03)

heatwave wrote:Well, I can tell you right now that Metanet Software won't make it.
We're not supposed to know that for another 6 years.

Radio Douchebag

Postby Rhekatou » 2010.02.24 (14:54)

ǝʎn1ɔuı wrote:
heatwave wrote:Well, I can tell you right now that Metanet Software won't make it.
We're not supposed to know that for another 6 years.
Watch this come out with an N_v1.5 sticker on it.

Postby dezmomo » 2010.02.25 (09:24)

Oh haha sorry I'm referring N+ as The N Game 2, although it's a remake. I'm just saying this could be a spin off of some kind, as Version 1.5 and other versions in the future should maintain N's simplicity.