N on Windows 7

Talk about the classic version of Metanet Software's amazingly popular freeware platformer right here!
Almost as Bad as One

Postby Solarpaddle » 2011.09.23 (17:51)

I just got my computer reformatted with windows 7 but N the way of the ninja no longer works. The program starts but the keys do not react at all during game play. Is there a version that works with windows 7? Or a way to make the current version work?

The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/beginner2
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby mediate » 2011.09.23 (21:04)

Try some of the solutions posted here. Also, check the N Troubleshooting section, your answer could be found. This is a strange occurance, though, the keys not working at all ... most of the issues are due to lag and not non-responsiveness. It somewhat works on Windows 7/vista ... works best on Windows XP.

Almost as Bad as One

Postby Solarpaddle » 2011.09.23 (23:38)

I tried the few things that were suggested but it didn't help any. Maybe if I give a more full description it might help.

I started up the game and clicked an episode. It loaded and started just fine but I went to use my arrow keys but the ninja didn't move. I then went back to the main menu and into "configure" and found the boxes empty that show the current setting of controls. I put in the controls I wanted it set to and went back to that episode but the same thing happened.

The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/beginner2
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby mediate » 2011.09.23 (23:56)

Right-click on the main window, go to settings and make sure the slider when you go into the little folder is set to unlimited, close N and start it up again. See if you can program controls now. If not, go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\random series of letters and numbers\localhost (where you replace username with your username and the series of letters and numbers with the actual letters and numbers you see. You may need to enable hidden folders) and make sure there's a n_v14b_userdata.sol file there. If there is, delete it and start up N again. This will reset your progress (though if you can't really play there wouldn't be much progress, but disclaimer stands) and will allow you to start fresh. Hopefully N will work now.