Finding the Mass of the N Ninja

Talk about the classic version of Metanet Software's amazingly popular freeware platformer right here!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Traveleravi

Postby Traveleravi » 2012.05.13 (04:18)

For anyone interested this is happens when I am bored.

Its long but interesting so check it out just download the PDF. The formulas are in columns so read the left column first for each set of them (duh). If you find an error in my math tell me, I would hate to publish erroneous calculations online. :)

If you don't understand something but are interested in things as weird as this then ask and i'll try to explain.
Attachments
Determining the Mass of the Ninja from N.pdf
Here is how i did it.
(251.66 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Everything is connected.

Dragons

"Fuck me
You shit out maps like nobody's business. Speedrun."
--kyozo_43

"Oh my fucking god
The Gold is just unbelievable."
--Gioum

"i also like it when people tell you not to do things like this. usually they have no good reason why and thats hilarious..."
--Xerces

"He [Traveleravi], like lfaber, helped start me off with making better maps. He constantly is helping me improve."
--123leonidas321

Why Was Six Afraid of Seven? Because...
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/999_Springs

Postby 999_Springs » 2012.05.13 (17:48)

Nice analysis, you clearly have a lot of spare time. But there are some things that I really feel I should point out, there are some points where I either just don't get what you're doing or genuinely think you've gone wrong.

1. Congratulations on being the first user to have a name that sounds like a spambot but is actually a genuine user (we're had a rather large bot problem lately, no offence intended)

2. Why assume that the grid squares are 1 metre? You could've assumed instead g=9.8 m/s2 and used D and t_s to find the grid spacing. (see below)

3. t_i. I don't know what you need this value for anyway, but the in-game time increment isn't the same as the 8ms time snippets that adobe flash give you. 1 frame, the game time increment, is 1/40 second, which is 0.025, not 0.008. Time taken to fall from top to bottom of the screen is 96/40 seconds = 2.4 (then assuming g=9.8 m/s2 you get: grid spacing = 1.28m)

4. What is t_f? :/

5. F (Code N). I don't see what exactly this is. If you're referring to the last number in the map data code for a vertical launch pad, that's not force. That's velocity. When you hit a launchpad, your velocity is reset to the x'(t),y'(t) coordinates given by the last two numbers, regardless of what your velocity was beforehand. You can see this in a lot of ways. Like when you fall from a great height and bounce on a launchpad you still reach the same height afterwards. When noobs make DDAs they have a tendency to put loads of launchpads right next to each other to try and speed the ninja up, which doesn't happen. And if you bounce on an upward launchpad and hit a horizontal one just above it, you have no upward velocity anymore. Try it out if you haven't. This doesn't happen if you're taking the numbers to mean force (because impulse = change in momentum). So if you're assuming that, I think I might have just killed your analysis.

6. How did Man City do THAT in the last five minutes against QPR? I'm still reeling. O______O
Achievements:

Completed N and NReality.
106 N v1.4 highscores.
I used to maintain 1000 NReality Level Top20 Highscores - Ranked 0th
Former Owner of Episode 169, way back when.
I've taken 10 Metanet 0ths. 6 of them lasted <2 days. I don't have any of them anymore. >:(
Third Place in BLUR 4 highscore.
Not highscoring anymore until v2.

EddyMataGallos is an alien.

Postby Traveleravi » 2012.05.14 (04:15)

i wasn't sure if I could assume that the acceleration due to gravity was the same as it is in real life (9.8). You are correct in what you think Newtons code is. it is the number at the end of the code for launch pad. I see how that is velocity not force now as i tested how he bounces to the same height no matter how high he falls from and that does screw with the way i did it. :)
In the lower left hand corner of N it said that each frame was 8 milliseconds (0.008 seconds). That is what I took for time of impulse (t_i). Of course that doesn't work with the launch pad just changing velocity...

Thanks for looking it over. You are right, i do have a lot of time on my hands, mostly because I don't want to do work i'm supposed to do. LOL. At least I learned something new about N :D
Everything is connected.

Dragons

"Fuck me
--kyozo_43

"Oh my fucking god
--Gioum

"i also like it when people tell you not to do things like this. usually they have no good reason why and thats hilarious..."
--Xerces

"He [Traveleravi], like lfaber, helped start me off with making better maps. He constantly is helping me improve."
--123leonidas321

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2012.05.14 (15:12)

Traveleravi wrote:In the lower left hand corner of N it said that each frame was 8 milliseconds (0.008 seconds).
This fluctuates, and depends on what your Flash player's doing at the moment.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/runningninja

Postby runningninja » 2012.06.30 (06:13)

I assume that t_f is the final time?
This was an awesome derivation. I was actually considering doing that a couple of days ago. The assumption of one square meter every grid square makes sense: makes the ninja about 2,2.5 feet tall, and drones 3 feet tall.

Postby Traveleravi » 2013.01.24 (21:15)

Yeah I thought it was pretty awesome too, then 999 or whatever his name is made me feel sad by telling me that the numbers in the code represent velocity not force. :(
Everything is connected.

Dragons

"Fuck me
--kyozo_43

"Oh my fucking god
--Gioum

--Xerces

--123leonidas321