The 10,000-Map Challenge

Talk about the Nmaps.net website.

Moderators: Rose, Sunset

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/origami_alligator
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby origami_alligator » 2011.09.23 (02:57)

Also, if you'd like to contribute to NARC and/or enlist people from outside the community to help, you can add money to [email protected] via PayPal.

Let us know if you've found someone though, on IRC. The people to notify are scythe, incluye, southpaw or Yanni.
.,,,,,@

"Listening intently, the thoughts linger ever vibrant. Imagine knowledge intertwined, nostalgiacally guiding/embracing."
<Kaglaxyclax> >>> southpaw has earned the achievement "Heartbreaker".
Promoted to the rank of Ultimate Four by LittleViking
[15:34] <Brttrx> ADDICTION IS GOOD, MR BAD INFLUENCE
[20:05] <southpaw> 8:05pm, Wednesday, 29 April, 2009, southpaw completed N.
[22:49] <makinero> is it orange-orange-gold yellow gold silverthread forest urban chic orange-gold?

Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue

Postby a happy song » 2011.09.23 (15:31)

Manus Australis wrote:Can we move conversation like this to a different topic? This is for the 10,000-Map Challenge, not the age-old "NUMA SUCKS WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DO SOMETHING TO ENERGIZE NUMA WE NEED FEATURES NOT SOME BULLSHIT CONTEST THAT ENDS UP FAILING MAKING YOU LOOK SILLY BECAUSE OF IT MR. I"M-AN-ADMIN, I DO WHAT I WANT."

I think if you want to complain about NUMA you should make a new thread, whereas if you want to complain about this contest specifically, you should make a new post. I'd rather people get on board and enjoy this attempt at reviving a dead community instead of raining on my parade and telling me this isn't the correct way to go about things. I'd like to see someone else be bold enough to do something like this.
Woah there, no one was attacking you directly. There's more than enough room here to discuss the idea before we decide it it's worth looking into any more.

I thought we were mature enough to not feel threatened and not take any of this personally...

Let's chill.

If you want, I can knock up some design revamp ideas along with the functionality extras I think we need, run it by you guys so we can get the consensus, then find someone willing to put it together professionally. I won't mind doing all that work myself, IF it's worth it. If we pay someone it'll be done within a time frame to a specific standard and it'll be done with soon. Then we can go about re-energizing the community properly. There's only so much we can do when the thumbnails won't even load...

I know some of you are working on an alternative, and if you honestly think (no egos) that it's worth carrying on with and you'll get something done in a reasonable time-frame, then tell me and I'll leave it with you. If you think it's going to fall-apart or take a considerable amount of time, I have time over the next couple of months to invest in something so I can put the work in.

Let me know asap and I'll get on it if I need to. I don't check the forums that much, so via NUMA or Facebook would be better.

Cheers.
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2011.09.24 (04:25)

a happy song wrote:Just a thought, but how many of you guys would be prepared to have a whip around and put together a little cash incentive for a professional to have a go at this? I'd be willing to contribute, I'll even look into finding some people to choose from if we can get enough of us to do it.
In what way is donating to incluye not doing this?
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/origami_alligator

Postby origami_alligator » 2011.09.24 (23:52)

I realise nobody was attacking me directly, but it's like me telling you that your band's latest EP isn't as good as it could be and that you should rethink who your producer is and find a new studio and get new band members. It feels like an attack even if it's meant in good faith.

As such, I would still appreciate a separate topic. You're no longer talking about the 10,000-map challenge. You can discuss your plans for a new archive in a place where it is more appropriate. Please make a new topic if you're going to continue to discuss a new archive any further.
.,,,,,@

"Listening intently, the thoughts linger ever vibrant. Imagine knowledge intertwined, nostalgiacally guiding/embracing."
<Kaglaxyclax> >>> southpaw has earned the achievement "Heartbreaker".
Promoted to the rank of Ultimate Four by LittleViking
[15:34] <Brttrx> ADDICTION IS GOOD, MR BAD INFLUENCE
[20:05] <southpaw> 8:05pm, Wednesday, 29 April, 2009, southpaw completed N.
[22:49] <makinero> is it orange-orange-gold yellow gold silverthread forest urban chic orange-gold?

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Sunset » 2011.09.25 (06:18)

Radium wrote:we need to find some sort of defibrillator for this community. NUMA has been having heart palpitations since late 2010
You're the doctor, you should know.

Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue

Postby a happy song » 2011.09.25 (11:04)

boustrophedon wrote:
a happy song wrote:Just a thought, but how many of you guys would be prepared to have a whip around and put together a little cash incentive for a professional to have a go at this? I'd be willing to contribute, I'll even look into finding some people to choose from if we can get enough of us to do it.
In what way is donating to incluye not doing this?
The rest of the post will clear that up for you if you read it.

And o_a, fair enough. Best of luck with this.
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/zoasBE

Postby zoasBE » 2011.09.26 (02:48)

This idea/contribution is awesome, and damn good, I've seen in a long time.
Vote Origami for President.
And of course, I'M IN!
[align=center]ZOAS © VODKAS © THE23 © INSATIABLEEEE!!![/align][/font][/color]
just as friends as enemies
even fewer friends

Not actually an admin
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/paradox-dragon Paradox
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Paradox » 2011.10.04 (00:17)

Apakenua wrote:
Pheidippides wrote:You're bribing people with Featured Maps? My goodness. Seems to diminish their significance, don't you think? You used to have to win NUMACON or, y'know, make a good map to get one of those. Now even if the worst mapper on NUMA posts on any one of those twenty freebies, you've gotta give him a Feature?

If mapping's supposedly lost its luster, mapping for the sake of mapping is not going to make it fun again. Stage a really big contest, or something. Bring back the Sunday N. Get a few people to jumpstart the Map Rating and Commenting Threads. Do something new and creative.

I'm sorry, pawz. I see the intention, but I just don't think this is the way to do what you're trying to do.
QFE

I totally understand what Pheidippides is saying here. In the few years that I've been part of this community and map-making, I /still/ haven't gotten a feature. I do believe that I have some worthy maps, but, then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If all my work, my hours of creating, testing, and polishing maps was in vain,- I don't know what to think. I could easily get a feature just by submitting another map. So, in fact, I will not be submitting a map on the hundredth/thousandth number JUST SO I will still have the true honor and feelings of accomplishment of creating a map that is worthy to be featured.
Not every person should get a feature, but every person should be able to feature. So I think that the person who gets ever 1000th map should get to write a feature of their choice.
i'm what you people call a "newer member of the community" & i understand that features are when a reviewer finds a map that is inspirational/perfect/unbelievable to the reviewer

i thought, why not just make it so everyone can write a review once a week, and the people that are currently reviewers decide what ones get published & what ones arent worth the effort.

for that to be fully effective NUMA would need insane improvments (never gonna happen)

& as i know it NUMA has died, with most mappers not mapping anymore as they probably have a life (jerks) but NUMA should be a place of happiness & a community, at AMomentLikeThis (heh heh) NUMA needs somthing big, like an olimpic challenge or atleast some of the great mappers to return, i have seen about 5 great mappers return scince ive been on NUMA & they all subbmitted 1 map each (Lightning55, daskie) then they left again

NUMA has lost its touch, i cant even imagine 80-150 maps a day on NUMA ever happening again, and im still speculating that it ever did, but if NUMA cant get quantity, then a new standard of quality should be achieved, like someone creating a programme for easy collaborating

& TO EVERYONE, (i personnally hate Facebook, etc) but why dont you all promote N to all your friends or just plain randoms on other online games that you probably play. make a group about it or something somewhere. Bring it back to life (just try not too get trolls) show them how great N is, & how great maps can be made even by someone who never mapped before, (or show them my first map, worst map on NUMA)

also, this would be sort of helpfull to noobs, if they can figure out how to use it

or just tell them to beat 88-4 willard
Future releases

Metanet Software stated on "the Way of the Ninja" (Official N website) that a new N 1.5 is coming soon, promising better NED (level editor), more levels and even more secrets in the game. Metanet Software also stated that the source code of N will be released with the 1.5 version.[5] Five years after N 1.4 release, on the 1st of June 2010, Metanet Software announced on the Forums and on the Metablog, that they were going to definitely start with N 1.5. They created some threads in the forums that discussed every new aspect of the new version of N, asking for the players feedback, and asking the players their opinions.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2011.10.04 (02:02)

Your post is tl;dr, but I get the gist of it. I'd much rather have a small, tight-knit community than a large, unrelateable one. The real reason nobody's playing N is that it's seven or eight years old and full of flaws. It takes a special kind of person to ignore that fact. And of course, very few of the non-NUMA crowd have anything to do with maps. They occupy themselves with other games and music (and school and work and reality-things), maybe biding their time until NewN is relased, maybe not.

And of course, I'll point you in the direction of CF. I'm still actively submitting reviews which are not mine. I'm a fairly accepting submitter, but I will from time to time fix up the reviews as I see fit.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

On the Psychic Highway
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/apakenua

Postby Apakenua » 2011.10.04 (13:58)

Aidiera wrote:Your post is tl;dr, but I get the gist of it. I'd much rather have a small, tight-knit community than a large, unrelateable one.
P_D:
I also see what you're saying. The 'feature once a week' thing is known as the Creature Feature. Even though we haven't been doing it, if you have some reviews, I can look over them. Just PM me or give me a pastebin link on one of my maps.

Aidiera: I agree completley with your above, quoted statement. I think this is what makes me hang around here, really. I've been a part of several /huge/ communities, and every so often I'll be like *hey, I've seen this guy around once before*. That was it, sadly.

The thing I love about this community is not that it's small, but it /is/ a community. A community where people know eachother. Heck, I know many of you guys' real names, where you live, and what you do for a living. I'm friends with some of you on Facebook, following some on Twitter and Tumblr, and I've played games with you guys. For anything internet-related that I need someone to do with, I ask you all first.

New members would be nice, very nice. I think if we had new members that would actually participate that would be great. I think, though, with new members, there would be a 'breaking away' of two groups. The new members, and then the older members. Not in age, just mapping ability, and not even that. Just their effect on the community and how much they interact with others. I'd be letting new people in fo' sho' if they up NUMA some.
What's a signature?

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2011.10.04 (16:31)

But if and when NewN is released, I am ready to welcome new members.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Sunset » 2011.10.25 (17:35)

Aidiera wrote:But if and when NewN is released, I am ready to welcome new members.
I'm late and all to the party but lol, good luck with that. I'll just post some maps and occasionally welcome people, since I'll be busier with other things, like I've been for the past month now. :/