Talk about the Nmaps.net website.

Moderators: Rose, Sunset

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Sunset » 2013.01.30 (23:20)

So I've been thinking lately about the review system and some faults behind it - one of them being, the reviewers themselves. The current review system isn't working to the capacity it was years prior to it being in the state it is currently in. Why is that? Well, some reviewers have opted out of reviewing, some for personal reasons and some due to laziness, or forgetfulness. It's obvious this has been an issue lately. We're down to just a minute number of reviewers that are active, and as most of us saw from today, that's not always the best thing.

I'm proposing a* change (thanks Bio) to the review system. It being, we have reviewers review any number of maps, within reason, for one week. Weeks can not obviously be linked (I.E., 3rd Feb week then 10th Feb week), and you cannot simply review one map and then wait until the final moment before your week is over to review another one. I believe this idea will benefit numa because it allows for some flexibility with reviewers, critiques, and mappers. Instead of just one day to post your reviews, you're given more time to consider maps and, in turn, more time to review any number you please. Now I realize that this can be abused and misused, such as posting so many reviews that they become low-quality. I'm not sure of any ways to prevent this without the admins flag removing whoever is abusing the system as a reviewer.

There're also some other alternatives.

One feature every two days, which would work fairly decently (in my opinion); or, one single feature every week. Although I don't think the latter will be very celebrated.

Discuss your quirks and ideas here.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2013.01.30 (23:27)

I would like to throw in a quick two cents.

The problem with the review system is finding willing reviewers. There are, essentially, two solutions to this. a) lower the standard of reviews in general by allowing many people to be reviewers without quality control, or b) increase the amount of time a review stays on the frontpage, thereby decreasing the number of needed reviewers. We have somewhat unilaterally chosen to pursue course 'a' over the past year. Sunset's proposal is on the more extreme end of course 'b'. There are some more moderate options, which he mentions.

This is the place for discussion of reviews, reviewers, quality, alternatives, etc. I'm tired of it cropping up on every third or fourth featured map. That's going to stop. Let's have the discussion here instead.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

this ain't no balogna homie
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/artistolipto
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Corky Romano » 2013.01.30 (23:36)

Guys, I think we need more culture regarding all this. All the reviews are being judged by like 3 people who appreciate the same stuff. Lowering the quality shouldn't be an option or anything, but some god bearing diversity in the artistic stylings would be much appreciated. It's all I'm asking. I've been religiously reading every review since my demotion, awaiting a day when one would grasp me in ways similar to any books I've read, or any pieces I've written. I'm saying the day has not come yet.
If you aren't remembered, then you never existed.
http://uuniuuni.tumblr.com/

Ice Cold
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/RedSpartan

Postby Leonidas » 2013.01.30 (23:47)

I feel this is somehow aimed at me partially, considering I am one of the newer-end reviewers. However, all three of my reviews so far have been complimented greatly (besides a minor typo), and I have tried to make the reviewed maps as diverse a style as possible. Therefore I do not feel guilty at all, even though the attitude of this somehow seems partially aimed at me.

See for yourself:

review 1

review 2

review 3
Last edited by Leonidas on 2013.07.17 (14:14), edited 1 time in total.
Click!!!

From Streetsahead

From elhombredelsombrero (Traveleravi)

From Aidiera

Also from Aidiera

From Traveleravi

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2013.01.30 (23:52)

123leonidas321 wrote:I feel this is somehow aimed at me partially, considering I am one of the newer-end reviewers. However, all three of my reviews so far have been complimented greatly (besides a minor typo), and I have tried to make the reviewed maps as diverse a style as possible. Plus flag said i am "very solid...make a review whenever you want" Therefore I do not feel guilty at all, even though the attitude of this somehow seems partially aimed at me.

See for yourself:

review 1

review 2

review 3
It's not aimed at you. Nor anyone in specific. It's aimed at all the reviewers, since we are all to blame for this. Maybe not so much you since you just joined, but you're a reviewer... So bleh. Haha.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/zoasBE

Postby zoasBE » 2013.01.30 (23:55)

my honest opinion,
If is not Sunset, or lord_day, or ChrisE, or flag, or Aidiera, or Peter, or Federico or PALEMOON, or gloomp, or any of these who review to Yahoozy, Pheidi, lord_day, PALEMOON, flagmyidol, krusch, or to Yahoozy again, or to baraba, to Sunset, to maxson, or even to Yahoozy again, then things go wrong, do not work and the quality has declined...
Jeez, guys! You have to be more tolerant of diversity of tastes and opinions. We all know that you are here for much more time, and you are respected for it, but you should think about this and think about whether you are doing the right thing by cutting the wings to many who fight and sacrifice to keep alive NUMA, every day. There are many different tastes, and ways to write, not because you are older you necessarily have to be the best.
[align=center]ZOAS © VODKAS © THE23 © INSATIABLEEEE!!![/align][/font][/color]
just as friends as enemies
even fewer friends

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2013.01.30 (23:59)

zoasBE wrote:my honest opinion,
If is not Sunset, or lord_day, or ChrisE, or flag, or Aidiera, or Peter, or Federico or PALEMOON, or gloomp, or any of these who review to Yahoozy, Pheidi, lord_day, PALEMOON, flagmyidol, krusch, or to Yahoozy again, or to baraba, to Sunset, to maxson, or even to Yahoozy again, then things go wrong, do not work and the quality has declined...
Jeez, guys! You have to be more tolerant of diversity of tastes and opinions. We all know that you are here for much more time, and you are respected for it, but you should think about this and think about whether you are doing the right thing by cutting the wings to many who fight and sacrifice to keep alive NUMA, every day. There are many different tastes, and ways to write, not because you are older you necessarily have to be the best.
zoasBE wrote:many who fight and sacrifice to keep alive NUMA, every day.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2013.01.31 (00:00)

Let's be clear. This is not what this thread is about. Map choice is utterly irrelevant to this discussion. Don't derail what could be a promising thread.

EDIT: I know this is what gloomp was trying to say.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2013.01.31 (00:06)

i was more saying i find the idea of people "fighting and dying" for numa like it's some fucking war-torn homeland is hilarious to me

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Arctic_Pony

Postby Pony » 2013.01.31 (00:07)

I would be in favor of something like mintnut's suggestion: fewer reviews of higher quality. The mere fact that I'm even bothering to comment on the forums should illustrate my concern, because I'm almost never on here. I guess I just miss the days when there were so many great, active reviewers, so reviews nowadays seem consistently underwhelming. Featured maps don't seem as special anymore. While I really respect the current active reviewers (they're doing more than I do, afterall), the overall quality is simply not as good as it once was. If I can find the time, maybe I'll try to help with reviewing, I don't know. But I do think something should be done.
^sig by Izzy

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/zoasBE

Postby zoasBE » 2013.01.31 (00:10)

unoriginal name wrote:i was more saying i find the idea of people "fighting and dying" for numa like it's some fucking war-torn homeland is hilarious to me
Certainly that has been misinterpreted, is a term used in my country, sorry, forgot I was talking to Americans.
whose beard now wrote:
Let's be clear. This is not what this thread is about. Map choice is utterly irrelevant to this discussion. Don't derail what could be a promising thread.

EDIT: I know this is what gloomp was trying to say.
I'm not derailing anything, I'm just giving my opinion on what is happening, when it happens and why it happens. Just that.

About the future reviewing system, to me is fine 48 hours on track reviews system.
[align=center]ZOAS © VODKAS © THE23 © INSATIABLEEEE!!![/align][/font][/color]
just as friends as enemies
even fewer friends

Postby Corky Romano » 2013.01.31 (00:11)

I agree with the Pony! Quality over quantity, guys! But yes, why not reschedule it so reviewers can dominate their own little month? Have 12 unique reviewers.

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2013.01.31 (00:18)

Corky Romano wrote:I agree with the Pony! Quality over quantity, guys! But yes, why not reschedule it so reviewers can dominate their own little month? Have 12 unique reviewers.
That's actually a pretty plausible idea. Although I figure after a while things'd get stale with the same reviewer every day.

Postby Corky Romano » 2013.01.31 (00:25)

Sunset wrote:That's actually a pretty plausible idea. Although I figure after a while things'd get stale with the same reviewer every day.
I'd think it'd be the reviewers fault and only their fault in that case. It's their job to keep people interested in maps.

Smoothest Taint in the West
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ska

Postby ska » 2013.01.31 (00:28)

I know i haven't been on the reviewing roster since 2009, but if my spot was reinstated, I promise not to abuse the privilege, plus I have a huge backlog of maps I want to review.

The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/runningninja

Postby runningninja » 2013.01.31 (00:53)

ska wrote:...I promise not to abuse the privilege, plus I have a huge backlog of maps I want to review.
My sentiments exactly. (I would love to be a reviewer. How do I apply?)
I believe that features for each day should be themed. Monday: Action, Tuesday:puzzle, etc. Have a separate day for concept maps, to prevent this bombardment of concept maps.
Additionally, the main problem is with the quality of reviews. Really, I think flag or some other veteran needs to screen each review before it's released.

Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ChrisE

Postby ChrisE » 2013.01.31 (01:15)

runningninja wrote:I believe that features for each day should be themed. Monday: Action, Tuesday:puzzle, etc. Have a separate day for concept maps, to prevent this bombardment of concept maps.
No.
runningninja wrote:Additionally, the main problem is with the quality of reviews. Really, I think flag or some other veteran needs to screen each review before it's released.
I'd agree with this if it weren't for the fact that I personally don't do this. Partly because I feel the general public enjoy my reviews and partly because, due to my time zone, it's rare that I am online at the same time as someone such as gloomp/flag/pheidi etc to read through it before I post it.

Extra days has done us no harm when people have forgotten reviews so maybe that should be part of the solution.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2013.01.31 (02:18)

Having been an active Reviewer for a long time, I have two words: impractical desires.

No matter how you structure or format the way Featuring works, the overall quality and consistency honestly still depends on the reviewers. A person can claim seven days in a month and only feature on three of them, but still be a good reviewer. Or a person can claim two days and feature on both of them but bell disliked by the community. I thought that if we could get some fresh faces on the Reviewer Squad then maybe we wouldn't be barraged with four consecutive days of Aidiera reviews as we have been in the past, and I got more replies than I expected. But for whatever reason, there seems to be an uproar about n00bs fucking up all the shit, abrupt-like. As an aside, I worked today and was asked to filter the fryers. I did it the way I was taught, but didn't know that there was a different way of doing it in the morning [because it seems that I was taught the midday filtering routine]. My coworkers could have gotten mad at me for giving them extra work, but they didn't. They laughed it off and didn't mind. Because I'm new, and they know that when you're new to something, you shouldn't be expected to be an expert. So what I'm getting at is that y'all need to be more welcoming to the beginner Reviewers. Should reviews only be in English? I dunno, I wrote one in Serbian to be different, and because I don't think that N should be an English-only game, but that's just my opinion. There shouldn't be any shame in having somebody proofread your review either. I had Sunset proof one of my reviews and it's going to be one of the best ones I've ever made. Not to point fingers, but some of you have been quick to insult zoasBE's English, but have done nothing to help him with it. The other thing that I take issue with is how people are once again playing the "quantity vs. quality" card at the same time they're playing the "reviews are meaningless" card. Once again, speaking for myself, but it seems that almost half of the maps I've reviewed went unnoticed. I don't do reviews as a favor to people and I don't review maps I made; sure, maybe not every review of mine is a gem, but to me, the maps are truly exemplary. And I try to review maps I think people will like, and that should be a Reviewer's #1 goal, to satisfy his audience. And the more varied the Reviewers are, the more often that will happen. eganic might be a huge thorn in my side now and then, but I bet he would be a great reviewer because he would review whatever he wanted, and it seems that that speaks for many people in the community. Perhaps I've force-fed my ideals to you guys for too long, but they just make so much sense to me.

Meow.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Ice Cold
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/RedSpartan

Postby Leonidas » 2013.01.31 (02:42)

▲▪►▪▼◄▲ wrote:Having been an active Reviewer for a long time, I have two words: impractical desires.

No matter how you structure or format the way Featuring works, the overall quality and consistency honestly still depends on the reviewers. A person can claim seven days in a month and only feature on three of them, but still be a good reviewer. Or a person can claim two days and feature on both of them but bell disliked by the community. I thought that if we could get some fresh faces on the Reviewer Squad then maybe we wouldn't be barraged with four consecutive days of Aidiera reviews as we have been in the past, and I got more replies than I expected. But for whatever reason, there seems to be an uproar about n00bs fucking up all the shit, abrupt-like. As an aside, I worked today and was asked to filter the fryers. I did it the way I was taught, but didn't know that there was a different way of doing it in the morning [because it seems that I was taught the midday filtering routine]. My coworkers could have gotten mad at me for giving them extra work, but they didn't. They laughed it off and didn't mind. Because I'm new, and they know that when you're new to something, you shouldn't be expected to be an expert. So what I'm getting at is that y'all need to be more welcoming to the beginner Reviewers. Should reviews only be in English? I dunno, I wrote one in Serbian to be different, and because I don't think that N should be an English-only game, but that's just my opinion. There shouldn't be any shame in having somebody proofread your review either. I had Sunset proof one of my reviews and it's going to be one of the best ones I've ever made. Not to point fingers, but some of you have been quick to insult zoasBE's English, but have done nothing to help him with it. The other thing that I take issue with is how people are once again playing the "quantity vs. quality" card at the same time they're playing the "reviews are meaningless" card. Once again, speaking for myself, but it seems that almost half of the maps I've reviewed went unnoticed. I don't do reviews as a favor to people and I don't review maps I made; sure, maybe not every review of mine is a gem, but to me, the maps are truly exemplary. And I try to review maps I think people will like, and that should be a Reviewer's #1 goal, to satisfy his audience. And the more varied the Reviewers are, the more often that will happen. eganic might be a huge thorn in my side now and then, but I bet he would be a great reviewer because he would review whatever he wanted, and it seems that that speaks for many people in the community. Perhaps I've force-fed my ideals to you guys for too long, but they just make so much sense to me.

Meow.
I agree with every single sentence stated.

Point #1: A review in a different language would be a change, but it might be annoying to some

Point #2: There is a meaning to the term 'new' in new reviewer

Point #3:
It is a good idea to proofread it and get comments on it before submitting. I did this with my first review, and most people liked it so I submitted it.

Point #4: Stop picking on zoas ;)

Point #5: I bet everyone here would calm down if more people came on numa. Believe it or not, the reason all these uproars are happening is because of the community tightening smaller and smaller.

Point #6: Variation is key.

Point #7: Don't make reviewing too complicated. It is what it is. However, there should be quality.

Point #8: Today is my birthday. Thank you zoas for the map, you are the best ;)

Thank you and have a good evening. I didn't proofread this btw
Click!!!

From Streetsahead

From elhombredelsombrero (Traveleravi)

From Aidiera

Also from Aidiera

From Traveleravi

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2013.01.31 (02:54)

▲▪►▪▼◄▲ wrote:I had Sunset proof one of my reviews and it's going to be one of the best ones I've ever made.
Hate to single out this, but when're you gonna post that? I really liked it.

Doublemember
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Tommy_Wiseau

Postby TommyWiseau24 » 2013.01.31 (03:25)

I still am of the opinion that featured maps are going to get stale if we aim just for "great maps". I'm not saying that we should be contrarian and feature average maps. I guess I mean a couple of things:
1) that more emphasis should be placed on creativity (I roll my eyes when a "transcendental simplicity" map gets featured, as they tend to be all the same), but that's moreso a personal gripe than anything else
2) that there should be an emphasis on subjectivity and mapping philosophy, which is what I usually try to do with my reviews. Try to emphasize elements that mean more to the reviewer, especially those that are an uncommon opinion, and explain why. Add some personality to the review, too (zoas is one of my favourite reviewers precisely because his limited grasp of English exudes so much personality, in a way).

Also make it once every 48 hours, that seems like the perfect duration for peak exposure.

Semimember

Postby Inspired » 2013.01.31 (03:44)

Eh, words, a long time ago when being a reviewer was a revered and respected position I applied but missed out on the cut. Not sure how the system works or if I could jump in every now and then with a good map I've discovered on a dull day, but I really think there is a need for people to start doing this.

Looking at the young mappers these days I see a lot of them have not experienced the kind of maps (or reviews for that matter) which really rocked the N community, too many of the reviews which I have seen during my recent attendance to the site have been tacky concept maps submitted within the last month or less. Maps which have already received a public rating (nothing wrong with this obviously, but a lot of maps are slipping by) and all appearing to be the work of authors who are *friends* with the reviewer. I think some of the newer reviewers should have a trial period of entry into the position where they have a far reduced schedule allowing them to seek maps of higher quality rather than just taking the top of Hot Maps for the day. Also, since it is the start of 2013 for at least the first 6 months of the new year I feel these new young reviewers shouldn't be able to touch any maps made post-January 1st, giving an added incentive to discover hidden and lost greatness.

Well, I have only been back for a short period of time so my perspective is very limited and likely wrong, but I think something does need to be done.

On the Psychic Highway
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/apakenua

Postby Apakenua » 2013.01.31 (03:50)

I honestly think that the map choice should depend on the reviewer. However, the reviewer has to have an established taste; he needs to be able to spot true, good map-making, conceptual maps, ect.

Really the only change is to be the amount of reviews going on. The number of reviews should be reasonably proportional to the number of active members and maps a day.
What's a signature?

Lucky

Postby Pizzles, M.D. » 2013.01.31 (03:52)

Corky Romano wrote:I agree with the Pony! Quality over quantity, guys! But yes, why not reschedule it so reviewers can dominate their own little month? Have 12 unique reviewers.
I don't think I'm alone in saying this, but there are a couple reviewers with whom I do not share remotely similar taste in maps, and I for one wouldn't want to go a whole month without bothering to check the featured maps. In any case it would get stale after a couple days let alone a week, as someone else already noted.
TommyWiseau24 wrote:I still am of the opinion that featured maps are going to get stale if we aim just for "great maps".

The sentiment of this makes me think you're confusing "great maps" with "the same types of maps by good authors". /Every/ map featured should be utterly great to at least the reviewer, I'm tired of this "I want to highlight an innovative but completely underdeveloped mechanic" bullshit. If you like the mechanic but the map is garbage, tell them to work harder and polish it and make a real map out of it before reviewing it. See ManBearPig's latest featured map and compare it to Lord Day's before it; both cool concepts, but obviously a lot more effort went into Lord Day's and it shows.

Proofreading would be cool, if admins are up to it of course.

I sort of have a more radical idea of just keeping all the bullshit with the current review system and just adding a completely new system on top of it, called "map of the week", where a map of extremely high quality is showcased and placed just under the map reviewed for that day on the homepage. Reviews would most definitely need to be proofread, and map quality at least somewhat validated by admins or other reviewers. Satisfies people who want really high quality maps reviewed, and satisfies people who want to see a cool new map every day.

Edit: Inspired mentioned something that actually really bothers me: a lot of the maps that are featured seem like they were only featured because the reviewer and author are friends, and that absolutely needs to stop. In years past that was very rarely a problem, and I think it correlates well with the drop in feature quality.
Last edited by Pizzles, M.D. on 2013.01.31 (03:59), edited 1 time in total.

Semimember
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/mistaken72
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby mistaken72 » 2013.01.31 (03:56)

Hey guys, I'm pretty much the newest reviewer on the block (I think I became one as of three days ago). I honestly don't know what's been going on with the new reviewers, and partially can't be bothered to know. I just want the assurance that reviewing and featuring keeps a high standard and does not simply become what the bite sizing function became some years ago (I used to be a bitesizer, and an avid one I must say). I'm not the most hyped up mapper, or the biggest community member, but I definitely have seen a fair bit myself since early 2005. Whatever the change to the system may be, let's hope it keeps the standard of NUMA high and actually encourages people to put more thought and effort into their maps rather than just encourage them to pump out pathetic attempts at innovation onto the Hot Maps page. I've always loved NUMA and the community but somehow things just don't seem right. That's my two cents here.