About to start a contest?

Are you a rad N player or want to put some rad N players to the test? Talk about your skills and challenge each other at N in this forum.

Moderators: TheRealOne, EddyMataGallos

User avatar
Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
Posts: 651
Joined: 2008.10.02 (00:03)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rocket_thumped
MBTI Type: INFP
Contact:

Postby rocket_thumped » 2010.01.02 (03:43)

Please go through every step before starting your contest.


1) Are you doing this contest just because you want to do a contest, or is it because you believe you have a really great idea that would make a really enjoyable contest?
Only continue to 2) if you believe the answer is because you have a really great idea that would make a really enjoyable contest.
--------------------------
2) Is your the aim for your contest clear and simple?
Only continue to 3) if you believe the answer is yes.

--------------------------
3) Has your idea been done before in the same or a similar way?
Only continue to 4) if you believe the answer is no.

--------------------------
4) Have you drawn up a set of rules that are easy to follow and remember?
Only continue to 5) if you believe the answer is yes.

--------------------------
5) Is your judging system logical and as simple as possible?
Only continue to 6) if you believe the answer is yes.

--------------------------
6) Have you created a map for contest to test out the rules and judging scheme?
Only continue to 7) if you believe the answer is yes.

--------------------------
7) Do you really think people will enjoy making and playing maps for your contest?
Only continue to 8) if you believe the answer is yes.

--------------------------
8) Will you have enough time to maintain the entries list, the scores and the judging? Remember that it can be surprisingly time consuming.
Only continue to 9) if you believe the answer is yes.

--------------------------
9) Have you asked someone if they have any suggestions or thoughts for the contest?
Only continue to 10) if you have. If you haven't, feel free to ask in this thread so you can get a quality response.

--------------------------
10) Do you have any questions to ask before you start?
If the answer is no, start your contest. If the answer is yes, ask the question(s) in this thread.



This is just a provisional guide, there may be exceptions. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and please suggest any changes you think should be made to the above guide.


A different option is to log on to irc at irc.mountai.net and join channels #n-mapping and #n-highscoring for second opinions.
Visit here to learn how to log on to metanet IRC.
Last edited by rocket_thumped on 2010.01.04 (21:35), edited 2 times in total.
Image

If you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right.

User avatar
Plus (Size) Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 2008.09.27 (00:39)
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby Geekhead » 2010.01.02 (05:46)

just a quick question...

i wanted to make a very simple contest (brief summary>)where some person would make a map and people would try to complete it as fast as they can. the person with the fastest demo/ fastest demo w/AGD, or anything along those lines wins. (/brief summary). but first off, i don't know if anybody else has made one like that (yes i have checked), and second off, i don't want to make tons of maps. can you help me out here?

i haven't seen any contest like this, and i can pass all of those requirements above. i just like this concept, and wanted to share it or ask for help to start it.

is this a good idea to do?
Image

User avatar
Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
Posts: 651
Joined: 2008.10.02 (00:03)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rocket_thumped
MBTI Type: INFP
Contact:

Postby rocket_thumped » 2010.01.02 (06:40)

Geekhead wrote:just a quick question...

i wanted to make a very simple contest (brief summary>)where some person would make a map and people would try to complete it as fast as they can. the person with the fastest demo/ fastest demo w/AGD, or anything along those lines wins. (/brief summary). but first off, i don't know if anybody else has made one like that (yes i have checked), and second off, i don't want to make tons of maps. can you help me out here?

i haven't seen any contest like this, and i can pass all of those requirements above. i just like this concept, and wanted to share it or ask for help to start it.

is this a good idea to do?


This is a very simple contest idea that has been done many times over on numa. If you make a thread for this on the forums it will likely receive little attention.
Image

If you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right.

User avatar
Plus (Size) Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 2008.09.27 (00:39)
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby Geekhead » 2010.01.02 (06:47)

ok ty
Image

User avatar
Phei Phei Pho Phum
Posts: 1456
Joined: 2008.09.26 (12:28)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ
Location: New Jersey

Postby Pheidippides » 2010.01.04 (18:23)

Good call, r_t. Pinzorz. And Geekhead, or anyone else looking to start a contest, another good idea might be to run it by some of the folks on IRC. If you want to start a mapping contest, head over to #n-mapping to gauge a level of interest. If the contest would be for highscoring, #n-highscores is the place to go. I'm sure the guys in either channel would be happy to give their opinion.
Image
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

User avatar
Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
Posts: 651
Joined: 2008.10.02 (00:03)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rocket_thumped
MBTI Type: INFP
Contact:

Postby rocket_thumped » 2010.01.04 (21:35)

Pheidippides wrote:Good call, r_t. Pinzorz. And Geekhead, or anyone else looking to start a contest, another good idea might be to run it by some of the folks on IRC. If you want to start a mapping contest, head over to #n-mapping to gauge a level of interest. If the contest would be for highscoring, #n-highscores is the place to go. I'm sure the guys in either channel would be happy to give their opinion.


Thanks, and I added the part about IRC.
Image

If you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right.

The number of Electoral College votes needed to be President of the US.
Posts: 278
Joined: 2009.09.16 (16:53)

Postby Aldaric » 2010.01.13 (15:42)

Could you look at my new contest idea?

Lords a-Leaping
Posts: 10
Joined: 2010.02.15 (17:30)

Postby mfb » 2010.02.15 (17:47)

Is there any contest or thread about beating levels/episodes without picking up any gold?
Some episodes are easy like 12, 15 and 18, but in other episodes, you have to be very fast (90 seconds for all 5 levels together...).
In some levels, avoiding the gold is a bit tricky (but possible), like 58/1 and 36/4.

User avatar
Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
Posts: 651
Joined: 2008.10.02 (00:03)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rocket_thumped
MBTI Type: INFP
Contact:

Postby rocket_thumped » 2010.02.15 (20:41)

mfb wrote:Is there any contest or thread about beating levels/episodes without picking up any gold?
Some episodes are easy like 12, 15 and 18, but in other episodes, you have to be very fast (90 seconds for all 5 levels together...).
In some levels, avoiding the gold is a bit tricky (but possible), like 58/1 and 36/4.


Not that I know of, No.
Image

If you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right.


Return to “Highscores & Contests (Nv1.4)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests