Notepad map data glitch solution

Need help getting the classic version of the ninja game to work? Ask here. Find a bug? Tell us here.
Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Seneschal
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Seneschal » 2011.04.04 (21:31)

(Apologies if this has already been discovered before, but I'm not aware of anyone else having this problem before).

-

So I've twice had a problem recently whereby map data saved to notepad has changed itself into bizarre symbols. Visual reference:

After a little probing around I discovered a solution to recover the original data, as follows:

1. Go to where the Notepad document is stored.

2. Right click the document and select properties.

3. Find where it says 'Open With: Notepad' and click on 'Change'.

4. Select Wordpad.

5. Open the document and it should automatically open in Wordpad with the correct data (or it might put the $blah#blah#blah# bit in the middle somewhere as it did with mine, in which case just copy and paste it to the beginning of the data and it should be fine).

6. Copy this data somewhere safe. Change your 'Open With' option back to Notepad.

7. Paste in the correct data.

8. Done! No more tearing your hair out over lost masterpieces!

Subterranean Engineer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Izzy
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Izzy » 2011.04.04 (22:53)

The problem is, though, that most people probably don't even bother to copy the map to notepad before they're finished (which is what I do, because I end up scrapping most of my maps anyway).
Derived from ksktorngsig!
I don't think the universe has infinite material though, unless God makes DLC packs. - SkyPanda

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2011.04.07 (09:34)

So the solution to the problem in Notepad is to not use Notepad? Not really a solution, is it?
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Seneschal
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Seneschal » 2011.04.07 (18:17)

T̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư wrote:So the solution to the problem in Notepad is to not use Notepad? Not really a solution, is it?
That's not what I said at all. The solution to the problem in notepad is to use wordpad to recover the data so that it can be posted back into notepad. Notepad is still the best place to store data in my opinion (pastebin would be its only rival in this, and you can't use folders to organise maps there), and since this seems to be quite a rare problem anyway (I've never heard of anyone other than me having it, in fact) I would absolutely not recommend ditching notepad because of it.