Yo are we still doing bestof2013 lists?

Share and discuss music, artists, and the audiophile culture.
Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Seneschal
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Seneschal » 2014.01.04 (12:43)

otters~1 wrote:question for seneschal did you do the whole 'read the script while listening' shtick with because the internet? worth it?
I must admit, I only kind of skimmed it before, but I read through it this morning, songs and all, and thought it was a very worthwhile experience. It wasn't as effective as it could have been if he's just filmed it, perhaps, though I imagine it's hard to raise a budget for that kind of thing, plus some bits were obviously written with the intention that they be read rather than just translated onto film (e.g. some of the descriptions and musings). It definitely contextualises some of the songs very well, and justifies the weird, suite-like way in which they're arranged (i.e. they correspond to parts of the narrative). It also makes sense of some of the more baffling song titles (e.g. Zealots of Stockholm, Urn), so it has that going for it. If you're on the fence about the album, or if you thought it didn't quite live up to its potential I'd definitely recommend giving it a try, at least, even if you don't stick the whole thing.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2014.01.05 (02:07)

Seneschal wrote:
otters~1 wrote:question for seneschal did you do the whole 'read the script while listening' shtick with because the internet? worth it?
I must admit, I only kind of skimmed it before, but I read through it this morning, songs and all, and thought it was a very worthwhile experience. It wasn't as effective as it could have been if he's just filmed it, perhaps, though I imagine it's hard to raise a budget for that kind of thing, plus some bits were obviously written with the intention that they be read rather than just translated onto film (e.g. some of the descriptions and musings). It definitely contextualises some of the songs very well, and justifies the weird, suite-like way in which they're arranged (i.e. they correspond to parts of the narrative). It also makes sense of some of the more baffling song titles (e.g. Zealots of Stockholm, Urn), so it has that going for it. If you're on the fence about the album, or if you thought it didn't quite live up to its potential I'd definitely recommend giving it a try, at least, even if you don't stick the whole thing.
well homie did film it sort of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_bONLcE8IA
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Seneschal
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Seneschal » 2014.01.05 (12:20)

Ah, that's just the prequel though. The screenplay is a different story with most of the same characters. Curiously, the character that Donald Glover plays in each is slightly different, since in the prequel he's clearly playing himself, judging by the segments which focus on him performing/testing beats, whereas in the screenplay he plays a character just called 'The Boy', who's very similar to him but isn't quite him.

Antonio Banderas
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/donfuy
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Donfuy » 2014.01.05 (16:35)

Well, I've only done a tracks list, and here it is in spotify playlist form.

Some album standouts:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Top to right:
1. Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories"
2. Throwing Muses' "Purgatory/Paradise"
3. Connan Mockasin's "Caramel"
4. Boards of Canada's "Tomorrow's Harvest"
5. Toro y Moi's "Anything In Return"
6. Heavenly Beat's "Prominence"

This not an ordered list, but if I had to choose the best one, I'd probably pick Caramel.

Also, words about RAM: It's a goddamn moody album, unlike Daft Punk's other efforts. When you're in the "right mood" for it, it's really an amazingly perfectly awesome gorgeous album. Although the closing track always leaves me a bit coldly overwhelmed, if there is such a thing.

Cross-Galactic Train Conducter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/T3chno
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby T3chno » 2014.01.09 (02:07)

Random order:

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2014.01.10 (02:46)

Seneschal wrote:Ah, that's just the prequel though. The screenplay is a different story with most of the same characters. Curiously, the character that Donald Glover plays in each is slightly different, since in the prequel he's clearly playing himself, judging by the segments which focus on him performing/testing beats, whereas in the screenplay he plays a character just called 'The Boy', who's very similar to him but isn't quite him.
oh okay, wasn't sure about all that
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea