Best Live Performances

Share and discuss music, artists, and the audiophile culture.
"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2010.10.09 (03:51)

Fucking ass-insane ACL Friday: Blues Traveler, Black Keys, Spoon, the Strokes (YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THE STROKES)

Highlights were a funky and highly unexpected "Creep" cover by BT, "I Got Mine" of course, Spoon's lead singer screaming and destroying a piano on stage, smoking bowl after bowl during the Black Keys, abruptly coming down in the middle of "I Turn My Camera On", and THE STROKES OPENING WITH IS THIS IT -- IT HAS BEEN SO LONG and no one had any idea what their setlist was going to be, they were totally making it up as they went along, Julian was baked and he began talking about Thundercats, there was mad air guitar too ... man oh man.

TWO MORE DAYS

UPDATE

Saturday was Gaslight in the mid-afternoon heat and everyone was sweating, MoF as the sun was setting and the lights were strobing and Jim James was singing His Master's Voice and soloing like a bitch, Black Lips in between somewhere, and Muse oh my god the lights.

Highlights included '59 Sound, think I had a mild heart attack front row, His Master's Voice also front row even though fucking Gogol Bordello was playing the next stage and was too loud :<, everything about Muse ever especially the Kumar look-alike I made friends with and also the light show exposing just how much pot smoke there was.

ONE MORE DAYS

FINAL UPDATE

Sunday was very chill, too chill probably. Not sure who I saw in the afternoon. Dawes? Blind Pilot? Rebeeeelution? Either way, I found myself at Ed Sharpe around 5 in the afternoon, and Ebert was crowd-walking and doing all the right pills, and the crowd was behind him all the way. Great band, great live band, I would pay a lot of money to see them again somewhere.

Then I chilled over to BoH and did snow angels in this nice patch of hay while "Funeral" played endlessly in the background, and then I somehow got to about the fifteenth row of The Eagles (you people don't care about them but I do !!!!) and they sang everything. :D

EDIT: At some point I wound up at Gayngs but it wasn't actually Gayngs because their bus got stolen or something, but I thought that someone was just fucking with my high ass, so I assumed the weird replacement trance band was actually Gayngs for at least 45 minutes.
Last edited by otters~1 on 2010.10.11 (21:12), edited 2 times in total.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2010.10.11 (05:18)

Just got back from seeing Dungen at the Horshoe Tavern (favourite venue in Toronto).

Opening was a band from California called The Entrance Band. They were little heavy on the Hendrix for my tastes but their bassist was this crazy, hilarious girl. She started off the night, before the music started, dancing by herself to the bar music (maybe you know the type). And then she got up on stage, took off her shoes and starting bassing it up and I was like "Really?". But she was fantastic! I don't know enough about playing the bass to know if she had any particular talent or not but she was entertaining as hell to watch. She'd hunch of her instrument, writhing and hopping. It was weird and adorable. I was a little taken.

Then Dungen came on stage. What a bunch of Swedes. The girls around me in the audience were quite smitten by the long-haired, blond, flute, piano, and tambourine playing frontman. He did sort of have the look that made you just want to curl up with him and run your fingers through his hair and along his long, beautiful Swedish cock face. The guitarist was very serious and the bassist was very interested in what we stuffed turkeys with (it being Canadian Thanksgiving). Now that I think about it, the drummers for either band weren't very interesting. Sort of shame.

Dungen played mostly stuff from Ta det lugnt (their best album) and Skit i allt (their latest album) so I was pleased with that. Easily the best songs they did were off of Ta det lugnt. Bortglomd, Gjort bort sig, Festival (Oh my god, so good), Panda and Sluta Folja Efter. I couldn't help but grin like and idiot whenever they would start playing something from that album; every song is so great. I was sort of hoping they we play Ta det lugnt as an encore but alas, they did not. Overall, it was a good show with some fantastic moments. I would recommend seeing them live to fans of the band.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2010.10.21 (05:19)

Tonight I saw Jon Hopkins and Four Tet at The Mod Club. It was interesting because, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I preferred the opening act to the headliner that I came to see. That's not to say that Four Tet was bad but the two acts had very different playing styles and I just liked the former more.

Hopkins played a fascinating mix of ambient dub and industrial techno. It wasn't always danceable but that was really more of a relief to me than a problem. It was always interesting to listen and, what's more, because he made such heavy use of hardware synths and mixers and pads, you could see him building the beat and manipulating it on stage. It was actual performance of music which is so gratifying in live electronics. I would definitely recommend seeing him if you get the chance.

Four Tet played an awesome set from his new album (which I love) but his style of play was the more classic DJ set. He took his songs and mixed and remixed them live on stage to create a more club-friendly atmosphere. His rendition of Love Cry brought down the house and it was good fun dancing to his songs.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/bobaganuesh_2

Postby bobaganuesh_2 » 2010.11.01 (04:40)

Last night: Venetian Snares, Otto von Schirach, Fanny, jaymez, and some other guy. This happened to be my first experience at a bar, but I was practically sober by the time I got there after attending a Halloween party.

The Snares man was the shit(ting dick nipples); his remix of Hajnal was pretty cool and the touhou/DDR music-esque stuff he was mixing at the beginning of his set was really enjoyable. Some other tracks he remixed were Szamar Madar, a song from Rossz Csillag that escapes me at the moment, Horsey Noisers, and I think some song from Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding that I'm not familiar with.

The two acts before him, Fanny and jaymez, were dull. Fanny seemed to be enjoying his own music, however.

Also, Otto (who was the headliner for the show) was at all times during his performance treading the line between vicious grindstep and migraine fuel. I left halfway through his set after they had given out the prizes.

EDIT: I just found that that I've confused Fanny with Jaymez Inexorable. I entered the bar halfway through Fanny's set, which I can't remember if it was appealing or not. It was actually Jaymez that was dull and uncerebral, then.

There was some other guy in at the back of the stage playing around with this machine at random times. He would make wobbling sounds my simply waving his hand over the top of this device. I recently discovered that this guy is known as Al Conroy, dunno if he's a common musician in the breakcore scene. I've never heard of him.
Last edited by bobaganuesh_2 on 2010.11.04 (03:23), edited 2 times in total.

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2010.11.01 (04:58)

That's an awesome lineup, bobaga. Too bad you didn't like Otto or Fanny. They both have really great albums.

Plus (Size) Member
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby xwd » 2010.11.24 (19:11)

Last Monday I went to my first ever chipmusic show, at the Bug Jar in Rochester. This is a big deal for me, since I've been into chipmusic for like two and a half years and this is the first chip show I've actually gone to. (Blip '09 over the internet doesn't count, even though I got a t-shirt.) The lineup was Revengineers, Starscream, Anamanaguchi, and HotChaCha, with Jonathan of George & Jonathan DJ'ing between sets. It was organized by Nick Maynard of Revengineers and is the first in a new monthly show called Rochester Chip. (Rochipster would be thought of as "roc hipster".)

The show started a bit late, HotChaCha was supposed to open but apparently were late. We hit a capacity crowd about an hour after the doors opened, which is ridiculous. The stage area was literally packed completely. Luckily, Jonathan was there to warm us up with some of his pxtone chip jams, plus other funky stuff. Then Revengineers went on, and they were great. They're self-described as a "Nintendo band" or something. I thought of them as an Anamanaguchi clone band when I first heard them, but they really do have their own sound. They're more focused on being a rock band, with the NES supplying backing riffs and stuff. There were plenty of parts where it dropped out completely. They have a lot of energy, and I am looking forward to seeing them again.

I managed to squeeze my way to the front of the area for Starscream, and got stuck right next to one of the speakers. Nice and loud. Starscream, if you haven't seen them live, are completely awesome. Not only did the bass hit the resonant frequency of the room a bunch of times, they also played that song about space. Plus the drummer is really something to watch (I forgot the names of the guys in Starscream. I think the Gameboy guy is Damon.) After their set, Jonathan dropped No More Lies which is like my absolute favorite George & Jonathan song. I went totally crazy.

Anamanaguchi is the band pretty much everyone came to see. (I know because only 10 people or so were dancing to Starscream, because I kept hitting everyone) They brought some fun lighting effects: a projector to throw some glitch visuals over them, and strobe lights! While they were warming up they jammed along to George & Jonathan, which was priceless. Pete (lead guitarist / NES programmer) said that he really likes Here Come The Babies. Then they started playing. Luke (drummer) took off his shirt after their first song. Pete said he does that every show. Most of the appeal of an Anamanaguchi show is that Pete is so damn funny, I think he did stand-up at a Pulsewave once. In any case, they were awesome. The capacity crowd going nuts didn't do anything to keep the temperature down, and Pete almost took off his shirt. Luckily, there was a door to the outside right behind the stage, and they opened it to let the cool November breeze into the building. After their set, Jonathan played We No Speak Americano by Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP, which was completely amazing. Since most people just left after the Gooch stopped playing, there was actually enough room for me to dance with the other crazy people.

I met bleo / dotdummy from Hexawe after that. Really cool guy. One of the few people there who had an account on chipmusic.org, probably. Anyway, after all the crazy kids (except me) left, HotChaCha played. If you're wondering what they were doing there, they were booked independently of Rochester Chip in advance. Hey, why not let them play anyway. They played songs off their new EP, which is pretty good, I guess, I don't know post-rock all that well but it was nice. The floor wasn't crowded so the lead singer got down on it and got her face in various people's faces. They were really loud. My ears were still ringing several hours after we left.

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2010.11.24 (20:06)

Sad that I'm almost 20 and I've never been to a concert.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2010.12.13 (21:04)

Flaming Lips are playing in Aspen on the 27th.

On the one hand, fuck yeah.

On the other, though, I'm going to be in Breckenridge, which is ~2 hours away, and that 2 hour drive is going to be up and down ice-covered mountain back roads leading out of Breckenridge to the Interstate, and then back into the mountains to get to Aspen. At night, even. It's kind of a scary drive, coupled with the fact I know myself well enough to know that if I go, I will drink, and probably do some other stuff too. And I'll be worn out driving back.

So, I'll be trying to bum a ride to Aspen for the night, but if I have to drive it myself, there's just no way, it wouldn't be safe. :/
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.12.13 (21:07)

scythe wrote:Flaming Lips are playing in Aspen on the 27th.

On the other, though, I'm going to be in Breckenridge, which is ~2 hours away, and that 2 hour drive is going to be up and down ice-covered mountain back roads leading out of Breckenridge to the Interstate, and then back into the mountains to get to Aspen. At night, even. It's kind of a scary drive, coupled with the fact I know myself well enough to know that if I go, I will drink, and probably do some other stuff too. And I'll be worn out driving back.

So, I'll be trying to bum a ride to Aspen for the night, but if I have to drive it myself, there's just no way, it wouldn't be safe. :/
You could always roll there in a plastic sphere...
Loathes

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy

Postby Kablizzy » 2010.12.15 (04:24)

scythe wrote:Flaming Lips are playing in Aspen on the 27th.

Suck it up, I drove this monthly for ten years.
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

With a cow, closer than you think.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/krusch
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby krusch » 2010.12.15 (10:39)

The Flaming Lips did a great live show when I saw them at Summercase in Barcelona, '07 or something. Though my highlight from that would have to be Dj Shadow.

More recently I saw ISIS. Their opener, Oren Ambarchi, to whom I'd never really paid much attention was INCREDIBLE. Blew my mind and my eardrums.

The gig I went to with KA was amazing too. Too tired to talk about it right now ... in other words, I have no pie. :(

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rincewindsw

Postby Stephen » 2010.12.27 (15:56)

These are the best bands I saw in 2010 yo

1 Titus Andronicus (at the front of a tiny venue - amazing atmosphere. Then they stayed at my girlfriend's house. Best day ever??)
2 Los Campesinos! (saw them twice, but only at festivals, both times involved me meeting strangers & us screaming lyrics at each other)
3 Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (I missed out on the Godspeed reunion but this was still great...)
4 Fucked Up (Pink Eyes spent the first song on stage, the rest of the night rampaging through the crowd, who were divided into people going mental at the front, and the super boring people stood way far back. At one point, Pink Eyes climbed onto the bar & motioned that he was about to stage dive into the standing-still half, did a countdown, lunged... then waved his arm like "I'm just fucking with you")
5 Melt-Banana (for their encore, Yasuko announced that they'd play "10 more songs"... which they completed in under 3 minutes)
6 The Wave Pictures (my band supported them! Would surely have made the list anyway)
7 WHY? (Yoni Wolf is the coolest. This was on a boat!!)
8 Autechre (sounded nothing like anything they've put on record, I thought I was going to die of bass)
9 Darren Hayman (another tiny venue - Hayman was on his own, and didn't really bother with his microphone, but played the most engaging songs & he has the best sense of humour!)
10 Broken Social Scene (they were just having a great time)
11 of Montreal (the theatrics made this, making up for the fact that I've kinda gone off their last couple of records. They covered Thriller!)
12 Mount Eerie (and that's the "black metal" Mt Eerie. 2 drummers, bass + synth bass, Elvereum + his guitar; awesome walls of sound)
13 Nedry (dubstep/post rock band I saw supporting other bands, twice. When I met Ayu, it was the only time I've met a musician I'm into where it didn't feel super weird! She's really cool)
14 Ariel Pink (power cut at the venue meant we relocated to basically a loft. The band smoked a joint in there before they played & Ariel said it was the best crowd they'd seen in years, the gig finished at about 2am)
15 A Hawk & A Hacksaw (really impressive musicians playing weird instruments in crazy time signatures is my thing)
16 Rolo Tomassi (playing in that loft where Ariel Pink played. I didn't realise who the vocalist was till they started. I also saw them play in a polar opposite venue - outside the city hall on a Sunday afternoon in Sheffield, without compromising the insanity of their music)

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/remote

Postby Limer » 2011.01.05 (21:02)

Saw Slow Club at the Union Chapel last month. Seriously one of the best gigs i've ever been to.
thats right, im remote.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rincewindsw

Postby Stephen » 2011.01.08 (13:45)

Limer wrote:Saw Slow Club at the Union Chapel last month. Seriously one of the best gigs i've ever been to.
Think I've seen Slow Club on bad days. Of course, I love 'em, but both times I saw them, the sound has been terrible and they played too many of their slower songs; they didn't seem excited about playing either of them. :(

Postby otters~1 » 2011.01.14 (03:00)

Titus is my number one as well! By fucking miles they were the most insane thing I saw this year.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.01.16 (07:38)

boozy panache wrote:Titus is my number one as well! By fucking miles they were the most insane thing I saw this year.
We're barely a fortnight into the year, so this is hardly high praise.

---

I saw Pavement last year which was the Best Live Perfomance because IT WAS PAVEMENT
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

It Must've Been Love
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/XiAH

Postby Lachesis » 2011.05.21 (06:01)

Best live performance that I've ever had was definitely from the band Drmanhattan. I've been to two of their shows, and both were absolutely crazy. 90% of everyone who was at the venue was dancing and moshing, and it was just an absolutely wonderful time.

Second place is Enter Shikari, their live show is pretty awesome. I saw them on Warped Tour last year and I slipped multiple time on the wet concrete and lost my shoe for five minutes. Those Brits know how to put forth energy onstage haha.
^made by Life247^
Image - Made by UniverseZero
Kickin' It Ninja Style! is at Episode 01-1 as of OCT11
OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENTS

A Small Bit of Code (Tweak), The Great Nation of Hispanyanlandia (OneSevenNine), The Land of Rape and Honey (87654321), Don (COMMET), Omega (COMMET), N: The Legacy (DarkN), U (Drathmoore), and My zombified-webcomic-which-needs-a-name (Wannas)

Quotes

"My parents thinks I incredibly smart and has lots of expectations from me." -Tunco

[Old Forums: 341 (0.07% of total forum posts)]
Coming Soon
other sig - made by Vyacheslav

Postby otters~1 » 2011.06.10 (03:51)

Well, I saw Weezer play Pinkerton couple nights ago. Yep. It was, I think, the most fantastic thing ever, ever. Rivers was possibly a little stoned, I was definitely quite stoned, most of the crowd was somewhere in between. (I mean ... c'mon. I was smoking someone's hash pipe during Hash Pipe [they played some hits] -- how good does it get?)

Unbelievable show.

The number of seats in an Airbus A380
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/slayr

Postby Slayr » 2011.06.12 (12:41)

I saw Rush play in Hamilton. It was really cool, and it was my first concert. It was awesome when Neil Peart did an 8 minute drum solo and then the band goes into another song. He was just sitting there drumming like it was nothing and he hadn't just done a crazy drum solo.

EDIT: 500th post!

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/yungerkid
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby yungerkid » 2011.07.03 (23:00)

krusch wrote:More recently I saw ISIS. Their opener, Oren Ambarchi, to whom I'd never really paid much attention was INCREDIBLE. Blew my mind and my eardrums.
Whoa - I've actually heard of both of these bands. I don't think I've ever listened to them - the closest I've come has been Red Sparowes, and Sunn O))), and I think that's how I heard of them - but still. I'm surprised.

Anyway, I'm going to go to Substrata 1.1 in Seattle on July 15, to see Eluvium live. In a church. Marcus Fischer and two other groups are also playing (I'm only going on the first day). It's going to be great. I think Cooper is just going to play some of his later stuff, from Static Nocturne, which I haven't listened to yet, and maybe some new material too. I hope he'll play some classics, but I don't think he will.

Edit: I just got an email from the program director, and it says that Oren Ambarchi will be playing at the festival too. The program will be: Crys Cole, Oren Ambarchi, Eluvium, Marcus Fischer.

Richard Richards
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epic4ever

Postby Equilibrium » 2011.11.15 (16:40)

Iron Maiden was one of my greatest live experiences.. And for next year it´s gonna be Rammstein and Nightwish on my birthday.. :D It´s gonna be legend wait for it dary!!
Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2012.01.12 (00:18)

On Last.fm

Starfucker was strange. I guess they were getting the most out of their name.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maxson924

Postby Rose » 2012.01.21 (02:26)

The best live performance I've ever seen from a pure performance standpoint is Trivium. It's unreal how accurately and energetically they play. From an overall standpoint, though, I'll go with Rush, since they have better songs.

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/al__cair__raheakallan

Postby chocollama » 2012.05.22 (04:36)

The only stuff I ever get to see live are the concerts on Paladia, but I think I'm finally going to get to see my first show in October and see The Black Keys.

EDIT: And I would kill for a chance to go see a MUTEMATH gig.

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Zecora
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby M4xwell » 2013.11.20 (02:54)

Jeff Beck Live is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHxnjBqz_kY
"...well then."
Sponsered by panstromek...