Small windows annoyance

Talk about computers, hardware, applications, and consumer electronics.
Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2009.06.08 (21:36)

I would like to have my Downloads folder sorted by the date the stuff got there. As such, every time I'm in the folder I click on the 'Date Modified' column header (Date Created does the same thing, since things generally aren't modified in that folder), which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that Windows decides that I don't actually just want it sorted by the date, what I really want is for it to put all the folders together and sort those by date, then put all the other stuff together and sort it by date. So what I end up with is anything that I got via torrent or zip and was downloaded/uncompressed to the download folder is actually no where near the creation order. I have 3 .torrent files as a few of the most recently modified things, but the actual files I downloaded are at the very end of the list, because they are folders, not files. Is there any way to tell windows to stop being a douche and actually sort the entire downloads folder by date? (I looked through the folder options and saw nothing that looked related)

Other unrelated quick problem: Is there a way stop windows (win7 in this case) to stop fucking with the sound mixer and trying to figure out which programs I want to hear? Any time I try to listen to Pandora while playing games it decides that I don't really want to listen to Pandora that much and knocks Chrome's volume down to about 10%.
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/_destiny%5E%2D
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Destiny » 2009.06.17 (18:06)

I dont know about your second problem, but i can help with the first. Instead of clicking the button at the top, try right clicking anywhere in the folder, selecting arrange by > date. This should help. Failing that, i'm not sure what to suggest.

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2009.06.17 (20:07)

That is just a different way to do the same thing. So, I'm still waiting for a solution.
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/exuberance

Postby Exüberance » 2009.07.16 (14:03)

How did you even got your application-specific volume control to work? My laptop runs Vista but it only has 1 global volume control. No program-specific one as advertised. In order to hear vent while WoWing, I have to turn my volume up from 7 - 17 (depending on what I'm doing) all the way up to 50, then turn WoW's in-game sound to 25% or lower. :/
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
Comic Activity-O-Meter: (how often I'm updating my comic)
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
+ Loitering: Like comatose, but for short amount of times.
- Turtling (Loitering/Semi-Active): Really slooooww updates
+ Semi-Active: One every 2 weeks...ish?
- Quasi-Active (Semi-Active/Active): Averaging about 2 comics every 3 weeks
+ Active: Loosely defined status, but about a weekly update
- Over-Active (Active/Power-leveling): About 2 comics a week
+ Power-leveling: About 3 comics a week. Possible a schedule, possibly not
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Semimember
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/MattyMc13

Postby MattyMc13 » 2009.07.16 (18:22)

I'm not sure if it has your answers at this site, but I think it might.