Help me defeat BSOD!

Talk about computers, hardware, applications, and consumer electronics.
Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Zephyr » 2010.09.09 (07:37)

Okay, I'm going to mention this even though it is probably irrelevant, a few days ago I opened up my computer and cut a grounding wire from my front panel audio jack to a usb jack to stop a horrible crackling sound through my headphones.
---
So yesterday, I booted up my computer as usual and a few minutes later I got the BSOD (memory_management). This has happened to me rarely so I just decided to reboot my computer and try again. After rebooting this happened again, I tried about ten more times with the same result. I decided to just leave my computer for the day and went to bed.
Today I tried again, I got the same result as yesterday and googled for answers on my laptop. I found out that my motherboard is known to have memory problems. So then I googled some more, and decided that I should probably update my BIOS, since it hasn't been updated since exactly one year ago.

Before I go any further, I will tell you guys my system specs-
Asus P7P55D LE Motherboard
8GB Ram
Core i7 2.67 Ghz (I think)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
(I am not able to give my exact system specs as of now because dxdiag says there is an error and it cannot retrieve my system information: I'm trying to give my specs from memory)

I dig out my computer driver and system CDs and manuals and find in my motherboard manual that on my motherboard's CD there is a program that updates my BIOS (Asus Update). I put the CD in my computer and attempt to install this program: I'm stopped by a BSOD halfway through the installation yet again, this time it is a new one: system_service_exception. I reboot my computer and try again a few more times, only to crash again and again halfway through the installation, meeting yet another new type of unnamed type of BSOD which says there is an error in NTFS.sys.
When taking another crack at installing the BIOS update software I'm told that my computer contains no motherboard, I quickly run dxdiag and am told that my motherboard and RAM are both still in place (AF thought my RAM might have fallen out).
After all those types of crashes, I start to get a little suspicious and this time go straight to virus scan, I am stopped halfway through my scan again by the BSOD.
I start my computer in safe mode, hoping to get better response but unfortunately I cannot access the internet, virus scan or update my BIOS. It doesn't matter, because my computer BSODs again, in safe mode.

This makes me think it is getting more serious, as there is likely a problem with the core system files if I crashed in safe mode.
I virus scan my computer the second time, and BSOD with page_fault_in_nonpaged_area, Another new one.

I am going to try run windows from the installation disk. I will update this status if I find anything interesting, meanwhile it would be nice if someone could help me :3
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2010.09.09 (12:11)

BSOD is usually a hardware fault, it won't matter what software you run. Sounds like your motherboard is dying, that said I've not diagnosed a BSOD in about a year but if your MOBO is dead it's not really something you can fix, you just need to get a replacement, you can buy any mobo on the same socket and everything should just work though. I'm on the same board though and I've not had any issues to date.

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2010.09.09 (13:53)

It sounds like the errors you're getting are more or less consistently related to memory. I'd run a memtest to check the RAM before replacing the motherboard.
On many boot CD's, there's a boot option called "memtestXX", where the XX is either 86 or 64 (you'd go for the 64, since your CPU is 64-bit). This might also be an option through your BIOS setup.
"you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai

"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai

spoiler

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.09 (15:34)

Here's exactly how to do this:

First of all, if you are running GSKill ram, get rid of it.

Second of all, try running your computer with each of the sticks individually. See if you get errors.

Finally, download http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ that, and then here's what you are going to do:

Go to the task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and see how much unused or cached ram your computer has when you are running zero programs.

For the number of cores on your processor, run that many instances of Memtest. For the amount of RAm that goes unused when you are running the fewest number of programs, divide it among the versions of memtest. (i.e. if there is 6GB of Ram unused, and you have a dual core, run 3000 on each).

This really sounds like a RAm hardware fault, so the second step should solve what you need to replace. Keep in mind that when you are running that much RAM you are always going to run into problems because it is unnecessarily large. (Akin to having a gun so large that the barrel can not properly fire the bullet accurately.)
Loathes

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2010.09.09 (20:27)

My computer has mysteriously stopped, but I am not assuming the problem has gone away.
I've done alot in my 12 hours of ceasefire:
1)Update my BIOS
2)Run a full virus scan

I'm positive this isn't a virus

Luminaflare wrote:BSOD is usually a hardware fault, it won't matter what software you run. Sounds like your motherboard is dying, that said I've not diagnosed a BSOD in about a year but if your MOBO is dead it's not really something you can fix, you just need to get a replacement, you can buy any mobo on the same socket and everything should just work though. I'm on the same board though and I've not had any issues to date.

I don't think my mobo would be dying this soon, this computer was made less then 6 months ago.
Clickme

spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2010.09.10 (02:07)

Zephyr wrote:and decided that I should probably update my BIOS

This never really fixes anything (any problems anyway, the only time you'd really need to update your BIOS is for new hardware/OS support), and if you don't know what you are doing you are more likely to screw shit up than fix it.

Basically do everything Slaps said. Except for the part on GSkill. Anyone can make bad ram, and the actual DRAM chips aren't made by GSkill anyway, they are made by the same 3 companies every other RAM company uses.

Anyway, report back with your results from slaps' steps.
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Cross-Galactic Train Conducter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/T3chno
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby T3chno » 2010.09.10 (02:32)

smartalco wrote:

This never really fixes anything (any problems anyway, the only time you'd really need to update your BIOS is for new hardware/OS support), and if you don't know what you are doing you are more likely to screw shit up than fix it.

Actually, my laptop had this terrible CPU whine when I got it. After applying a new BIOS update, it was gone. It also improved my battery life a bit as well.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.10 (03:56)

smartalco wrote:

Basically do everything Slaps said. Except for the part on GSkill. Anyone can make bad ram, and the actual DRAM chips aren't made by GSkill anyway, they are made by the same 3 companies every other RAM company uses.

Anyway, report back with your results from slaps' steps.

GSkill has serious compatibility issues with ASUS motherboards, and you won't find a problem with Memtest if there is.
Loathes

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2010.09.11 (01:58)

Updating my BIOS did the trick apparently, the new version had a fix for memory compatibility.
I'll post back if shit goes down again.
Clickme

spoiler

Yeah, I use plastic.

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2010.09.16 (07:11)

I have it again, I've used memtest and there seems to be no errors, I'm going to try the different sticks of RAM if I have time, but my computer is a pain to take apart and put back together.

*edit*
Seems like I didnt use memtest right, I went again and I have an error o_O
What do I do now?
Clickme

spoiler

Yeah, I use plastic.

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2010.09.16 (12:13)

Describe the error.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.16 (14:53)

987654321 wrote:Describe the error.

No. Any time you have an error with Memtest, you need to either isolate what stick of ram is the problem, or buy new RAM. RAm should be able to run for a year error free.
Loathes

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/smartalco
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby smartalco » 2010.09.16 (17:47)

=w= wrote:Any time you have an error with Memtest, you need to either isolate what stick of ram is the problem

Do this. Run memtest with only 1 stick of RAM in at a time, and let it run for at least 20 minutes on each stick (memtest is continuous is it not? It has been forever since I ran it).
Tycho: "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.16 (20:28)

smartalco wrote:
=w= wrote:Any time you have an error with Memtest, you need to either isolate what stick of ram is the problem

Do this. Run memtest with only 1 stick of RAM in at a time, and let it run for at least 20 minutes on each stick (memtest is continuous is it not? It has been forever since I ran it).

It is.
Loathes

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2010.09.17 (04:52)

I'm too scared of fucking up my computer with an electric discharge so I sent it in to my dad's old I.T shop, they're gonna test it stick by stick for me and I should have it back by tomorrow. Turns out I have Gskill RAM.

Also, they gave me a free gaming headset worth $100
:3
Clickme

spoiler

Yeah, I use plastic.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.17 (13:46)

Zephyr wrote:I'm too scared of fucking up my computer with an electric discharge so I sent it in to my dad's old I.T shop, they're gonna test it stick by stick for me and I should have it back by tomorrow. Turns out I have Gskill RAM.

Also, they gave me a free gaming headset worth $100
:3

IT LOOKS LIKE I WIN THE THREAD

If they don't find a problem with any individual stick, just sell that fucking ram already.
Loathes

Yet Another Harshad

Postby Zephyr » 2010.09.18 (04:29)

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: One stick of RAM is faulty

Good news: The warranty is still active but it will take 1 week to get a replacement, I also still have 4gb of ram to play with for that week.
Clickme

spoiler

Yeah, I use plastic.

Return to “Technology & Programming”