Need a good OS to put on my laptop

Talk about computers, hardware, applications, and consumer electronics.
The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/beginner2
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby mediate » 2011.01.06 (23:43)

So, I recently got this extremely underpowered laptop (I paid no money for it) and Windows is (no surprise) devastatingly slow on it. I've installed Ubuntu standard 10.04 on it, and it too is devastatingly slow. I have given the netbook remix of ubuntu a try on it, and it loks, performs, and limits like a b*tch. Seriously, I can't do sh*t on it with Ubuntu netbook, it's so damn limiting. In addition, I thought it's made to use less resources, yet it lags as much as windows. So ... I am here to ask for your suggestions. I will mainly use the computer at school (lightweight laptop is easier to carry than 6 lb beast of a laptop) and as such will need to use a word processor, journal/xournal/onenote (I have a tablet that I use to take notes), and adobe pdf. I'd only play games such as OpenTTD and Doom on it, which are extremely light on resources. Windows 7 is completely out of the question, as is Ubuntu standard and Ubuntu Netbook, due to their completely lacklustre performance. I have a Core 2 Solo @ 1.4 GHz with 2 GB of RAM, and a 320GB 7200 RPM Hard disk inside. SInce I realize that this laptop/netbook (if you want to call it that) sucks, I do have to remind you that I paid no money for it, thus I lost no money for buying crappy hardware. So yeah, any suggestions on a good OS for it. I'd prefer linux over windows.

Thanks.

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.06 (23:56)

You might consider http://www.archlinux.org/

I've played with a bit and I think it's Suki's primary.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2011.01.07 (00:20)

Look at Debian Lenny: http://www.debian.org/

It's what Ubuntu is based on, but without the bloat. Customizable, compatible, and user-friendly!

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.01.07 (00:38)

Jolicloud!
Loathes

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.07 (01:20)

SlappyMcGee wrote:Jolicloud!
If he didn't like the restrictions associated with the Netbook Remix of Ubuntu, I doubt he'd like Jolicloud.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.01.07 (01:42)

hairscapades wrote:
If he didn't like the restrictions associated with the Netbook Remix of Ubuntu, I doubt he'd like Jolicloud.

I guess I just don't understand lacklustre performance then. I assumed he meant it worked poorly because of his terrible specs.
Loathes

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2011.01.07 (02:36)

Arch Linux is for people who know they want Arch Linux. If you've never heard of Arch Linux, you don't want Arch Linux.

That said:

elive -- Hideous website, but offers mostly what you're looking for. Enlightenment is pretty and fast even on old shitty machines.

antiX MEPIS -- fast, easy, etc.

Zenwalk -- Slackware-based, but with real package management. The major disadvantage is the repository, which doesn't include a lot of KDE software. The major advantage is the repository, since it's more up-to-date that Debian stable but more reliable than Debian testing or Debian unstable, in my experience. Also, I use it.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.07 (02:59)

SlappyMcGee wrote:
hairscapades wrote:

I guess I just don't understand lacklustre performance then. I assumed he meant it worked poorly because of his terrible specs.
Sorry, he changed his original post. Jolicloud was an excellent suggestion.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2011.01.07 (03:47)

With those specs, I'm surprised it can't run Ubuntu 10.04.
If you want mostly hassle-free Linux, but don't want the bloat of Ubuntu, and yet don't want the limitations of Netbook Remix, I'd recommend Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop. Xfce is very lightweight while still offering a window manager a non-uber1337 Linux user would find sensible. It won't bog down your CPU or RAM with flashy graphical extras.

Otherwise, I'd be surprised if those specs couldn't run Windows XP or Windows 2000.

But I also want to emphasize this:
scythe wrote:Arch Linux is for people who know they want Arch Linux. If you've never heard of Arch Linux, you don't want Arch Linux.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Antonio Banderas
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/donfuy

Postby Donfuy » 2011.01.07 (20:01)

Wait huh, how is ubuntu netbook remix limited? It does everything the regular ubuntu does.

Postby mediate » 2011.01.08 (02:16)

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've decided to give each and all of those a try in vmware. What I can say off the bat:
scythe wrote:antiX MEPIS -- fast, easy, etc.
#1 Choice so far. it seemed to perform quite slowly in vmware, however, upon further inspection and adding a bit more RAM to the computer I was using at the time (and turning off other VM's ...) it worked quite well.
hairscapades wrote:You might consider http://www.archlinux.org/
I've played with a bit and I think it's Suki's primary.
I can see why ... If I had a bit more time before school, I'd totally go for it and try to tailor it perfectly. In VMWare, while working through the install, I loved how minimalistic it was, yet still easily usable. Also, can someone explain why I've seen mainstream distros remove MC from their repos? It is quite honestly the best file manager in command line (besides, you know, doing it entirely from command line without any gui) and helps out so much when you don't need any eye candy to do something quick (also, built-in text editor ftw). Still, I love the idea of Arch, but cannot use it because it would take me too long to set up and configure. Not throwing it out entirely. Since I will have a mini-break in May, I'm making sure I remember to play with it then.
scythe wrote:elive -- Hideous website, but offers mostly what you're looking for. Enlightenment is pretty and fast even on old shitty machines.
Looks nice, but I find it quite misleading. They should make sure to mention that it isn't free right off the bat. I don't want to run a live usb when I need Linux ... I want it installed on the hard disk. Since it asks for money, yet I did not see this mentioned before downloading, I consider it misleading and thus will not count it. I do like how e17 looks. Maybe I'll install it on Arch when I get the chance ;)
oeuvre wrote:Look at Debian Lenny: http://www.debian.org/

It's what Ubuntu is based on, but without the bloat. Customizable, compatible, and user-friendly!
I downloaded and burned all 5 Debian 5 DVD's a while back ... didn't really try it too much. Looks nice, fresh, and interesting, but didn't have the time to play with it.
Don't take this the wrong way. It does not seem to be what I'm looking for in any way. First of all, WHERE THE F**K IS THE F**KIGN TERMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!
Second of all, it looks like it's meant for tablet PC's, not laptops. It has the very iPhone-esque interface. I don't hate it, but it is not what I'm going for. If I go ahead and buy a tablet with windows on it, for sure Jolicloud will be a consideration (I mean, it looks really nice and performs really well ... not waht I'm going for on this laptop though).
scythe wrote:Zenwalk -- Slackware-based, but with real package management. The major disadvantage is the repository, which doesn't include a lot of KDE software. The major advantage is the repository, since it's more up-to-date that Debian stable but more reliable than Debian testing or Debian unstable, in my experience. Also, I use it.
The major disadvantage I saw with it in vmware is that it did not see the hard disk while installing. I'd say before anything, installing and using the SATA hard disk is a priority, no? Maybe it didn't like vmware's virtual hardware. I know for quite some time I could not use slackware in vmware becuase of the complete inability to install vmware tools. It just did not want to install, dependencies satisfied of course. I'll have to give it another try, but from that first impression, doesn't look good ...
T̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư wrote:With those specs, I'm surprised it can't run Ubuntu 10.04.
If you want mostly hassle-free Linux, but don't want the bloat of Ubuntu, and yet don't want the limitations of Netbook Remix, I'd recommend Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop. Xfce is very lightweight while still offering a window manager a non-uber1337 Linux user would find sensible. It won't bog down your CPU or RAM with flashy graphical extras.
It can run Ubuntu 10.04 just fine. Leaving it running while you do something else works wonders :P It's when you actually use it that it begins to bog down like crazy. Let me put it this way. I needed to make a batch file using another as a template. I had 3 notepad windows open in windows 7. Notepad. CPU usage was around 90%, kernel time around 70%. Copying any amount of text (for instance, one line that I used to open up one page of the old batch) lagged for about a second. Pasting did the same. While typing, it lagged for about a second before actually displaying text. Really, 3 notepad instances did that. I needed to convert the batch file to shell script in Ubuntu later on. I had 3 gedit instances opened. Again ... it really bogged down. Copying text lagged more so than windows 7 ... somehow. Pasting as well. What did not lag was actual typing. Sorry, but I cannot explaing why those lags happened. I set the appearance settings to the bare minimum I could, both 7 and 10.04. Still lags ...
I'll give Xubuntu a try, since I used to use it on older computers at computer club in High School. It did slow down some of those computers, but it was not as horrible. I tried standard buntu as well on those comps and that really bogged it down. So, I'll expect much better performance from Xubuntu. As a side, I also attempted Lubuntu, and still seems very unstable ... makes sense since it's in alpha.

Coming back to Netbook Buntu ... How is it limiting? Since I FINALLY found the terminal location of this one, I can now configure it as is needed (and not as limiting as a result), but as a base system, extremely limiting. Why did they have the need to remove most of the right clicks that you could do on normal buntu? From what I've seen, netbooks have the possibility of right clicking ... why remove all the right clicks found in normal buntu? Why did they have the need of removing the original menu, from which you had all those nice tools and utilities to configure your system, and from which you had the very nice possibilities of browsing all installed applications? Why did they make it docked? It actually does nothing to help me out as a user. I have no time to try to remove it and get back the good old standard menu back. I actually don't even want to do work through it more it annoys me so much. I guess it's not as much limiting as it is removing features that I'd think are standard in an OS and forcing the user to do the work to get them back. I'm also highly considering Slackware, but am worrying about configuring it later.

EDIT: Also, sorry about huge ar$e essay here. Thanks for the suggestions.

Depressing

Postby Tanner » 2011.01.08 (02:30)

I just want to add how much I love it when someone makes a thread asking for suggestions and then thoughtfully follows up on each one made. It makes me all smiley.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33

Postby scythe » 2011.01.08 (02:46)

Elive isn't free? I had no idea, really. o.O
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy

Postby Kablizzy » 2011.01.08 (09:54)

A core 2 Duo running Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM? I'm calling at least some shenanigans on "devastatingly slow." What would be your definitions of "fast" and "slow"?
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.01.08 (14:21)

Kablizzy wrote:A core 2 Duo running Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM? I'm calling at least some shenanigans on "devastatingly slow." What would be your definitions of "fast" and "slow"?
Core 2 Solo, bro.

edit: and 2GB of RAM? Don't know what you're looking at or if I'm looking at the wrong thing.

Anyhow, Jolicloud is all about cloud based computing. The fact that you've determined that the interface is only for tablets seems a little odd. There is also terminal access that you must have missed. All in all, if you want to get MORE out of your machine then the parts are capable of, this is one of your best options because it utilizes the cloud. Otherwise, you are shortly going to realize that you don't want an OS that uses less of your shitty laptop, you want a less shitty laptop.
Loathes

Postby mediate » 2011.01.08 (17:37)

scythe wrote:Elive isn't free? I had no idea, really. o.O
They hit you with it after you try to install ... they tell you that the install module is not included in the live environment and needs to be downloaded ... with a passcode ... and a 15 (insert major currency here) "donation" at minimum. Don't like that one bit.
Kablizzy wrote:A core 2 Duo running Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM? I'm calling at least some shenanigans on "devastatingly slow." What would be your definitions of "fast" and "slow"?
Core 2 solo @ 1.4 GHz and 2 GB of RAM. That's just the one processor :( When looking at that page, it says it comes with liux
My definition of fast would be running zDooM with no special extra features enabled and using Doom 2's wad without any lag. It don't do that. That's my minimum requirement for it to be considered "fast". The sad-as-hell part is that my old AMD @ 700 MHz (desktop, mind you) did this seamlessly, yet this processor cannot manage that. It is prolly something like Intel Centrino or some hidden windows 7 feature that I did not or cannot disable. If you can find these extra disable-able features, please show me (all aero effects are disabled already, and the pagefile size is set at 4 GB on a FAT32 partition, also used for ghost image). Otherwise, I think Windows XP will be making a surprise appearance there. At least Dell gives the drivers for Windwos XP. For anything under Windows XP, there are no drivers, so I cannot use it.
SlappyMcGee wrote:Anyhow, Jolicloud is all about cloud based computing. The fact that you've determined that the interface is only for tablets seems a little odd. There is also terminal access that you must have missed. All in all, if you want to get MORE out of your machine then the parts are capable of, this is one of your best options because it utilizes the cloud.
I realize it is all about the cloud. However, when I saw that interface for the first time, I thought "iPod Touch." It seriously looks to me like it's meant to be on a tablet, where you can touch everything. It's just how I think of it when I see it. maybe I'll try it using the web "live" interface on a large 9 inch tablet at Futureshop or something, see how it works ;) See how long until they kick me out.
SlappyMcGee wrote:Otherwise, you are shortly going to realize that you don't want an OS that uses less of your shitty laptop, you want a less shitty laptop.
Worst case scenario, I've got the 3 CD's for Red Hat Linux 7.1 that I can try. It's ancient but I remember it got the job done, so long as you can configure it.

Antonio Banderas

Postby Donfuy » 2011.01.08 (18:56)

Aaah, the new Ubuntu Netbook remixes come with their "Unity" shit. When I used UNR, it used gnome, and it looked something like this: (EDIT: it didn't come like this out of the box - i meant mine looked like this)

And this on my netbook, with an intel celeron m @ 600-900 Hz, and 512MB of RAM.
It ran really, really fast.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2011.01.09 (00:22)

mediate wrote:My definition of fast would be running zDooM with no special extra features enabled and using Doom 2's wad without any lag. It don't do that. That's my minimum requirement for it to be considered "fast". The sad-as-hell part is that my old AMD @ 700 MHz (desktop, mind you) did this seamlessly, yet this processor cannot manage that.
This probably has more to do with the graphics card than any other part of the hardware or the OS (unless that OS is Vista, in which case that's just about always the biggest problem). According to the "Tech Specs" tab of the link you posted, this thing has an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, which in my experience is precisely the card you don't want to have if you're interested at all in gaming.

To wit:
When I purchased my first laptop, I was young and foolish and therefore wanted it to be a gaming laptop, so I bought a Toshiba with an NVIDIA card. And that thing ran the high-end games of the day smoothly. It was awesome.
Some years after it bit the dust, I bought another laptop: a ThinkPad meant more for work rather than play (this is, in fact, the same laptop I'm using right now). Obviously, the CPU and RAM in this ThinkPad are far more powerful than the Toshiba's, but it also has an Intel GMA instead of an NVIDIA or AMD card. I've tried playing the same games on this ThinkPad that the Toshiba ran without problems, even in the same OS I had running on the Toshiba, and this ThinkPad simply blows goats at running them. The CPU is much faster and the RAM is both greater and faster, which means the graphics card is the only variable that could really be responsible for this.

tl;dr: If your performance metric is gaming, that Intel GMA will screw you over no matter which OS you choose.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy

Postby Kablizzy » 2011.01.09 (01:04)

SlappyMcGee wrote:
Core 2 Solo, bro.

edit: and 2GB of RAM? Don't know what you're looking at or if I'm looking at the wrong thing.
Oh, no, I was just looking at the tech specs from the first post, and it said "up to" 4GB, and I guess I just noticed the "Core 2", I suppose and assumed it was a duo. That computer sucks some massive balls.
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

Antonio Banderas

Postby Donfuy » 2011.01.09 (03:23)

Wait what the fuck, I play Doom 2 on my netbook. It has a probably weaker Intel GMA and is weaker on every other aspect too.
It runs on Windows XP, if you wanna know.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2011.01.09 (03:38)

◉ LAZORTITS ◉ wrote:Wait what the fuck, I play Doom 2 on my netbook. It has a probably weaker Intel GMA and is weaker on every other aspect too.
It runs on Windows XP, if you wanna know.
Admittedly, I have no experience with Doom 2. I just know that Intel GMA's are awful.
spoiler

Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/geti
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Geti » 2011.01.09 (11:56)

If you're actually competent at running CLI only for setup then you might want to consider Arch, even if you haven't heard of it. I've been running it for about a year on this now 6 year old laptop and seriously, building your own system from the ground up means you've got a hell of a lot more performance to play with.

However, if installing and configuring X along with everything else and running CLI for at least an hour or two sounds like no fun, Arch probably isn't for you, and I'd go with tsuki in suggesting Xubuntu.

...Reading through this again you said you're thinking about digging the red hat 7.1 disks out. Try Arch.

You can get zDoom-svn from AUR last I checked.
spoiler

"I'd be happy for a lion if it hunted me down and ate me, but not so happy for it if it locked up me and my family, then forced us to breed so it may devour our offspring." - entwilight <3
How do you know that God didn't intend for humans to be the animals' caretakers? He might be appalled that He gave us these animals to use and we're fucking eating them. - Tsukatu
4th - DDA Speedrunning Contest.
One Hundred Percent Vegetarian

deviantArt Profile - 1BarDesign
God knows if i'm back.

Postby mediate » 2011.01.09 (15:30)

zDooM's requirements are pretty low ... it can run lag-free on my uncle's very old 800 MHz P3 running Win2K with around 256 MB RAM and integrated video card. Trust me, the Intel GMA I have on this laptop more than beats that old computer's integrated graphics card. I tried running Half-life Source on the laptop in Windows seven, and it runs lag-free. So ... explain how an older game lags yet a newer and superior in terms of graphics card requirements does not ... becuase I am totally baffled.

I will install arch after second semester since I will have more time on my hands to play with it. It looks like fun to customize it my way (and I love how you are dropped to CLI in login. I wish more distros did that. Favorite is Slackware as they include fortune on login. The old system of starting X is much better than GDM or KDM, IMO), however, also looks time-consuming, and since I start school tomorrow, I cannot enough time to do this. I'd want to learn as much as I can about it before taking part in it. Ultimately, I went with Xubuntu as, even though antiX was nicer in looks, the CD and Live USB I created both failed to boot. As a result, Xubuntu, was the only other option (Debian seems to me like it's still not updated, still on the old kernel, and the GUI seems to not want to start up. As well, for some reason after every reboot, the X server config was reset. Cannot explain it, however, in VMWare it had serious issues.) . Thanks all!

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2011.01.09 (16:34)

I've run Doom on 133MHz 32mb RAM with a 2mb video card with no problems. It was originally a DOS game, hence the low requirements.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.01.09 (16:38)

Call me crazy, but isn't zdoom a constantly updated version of Doom? Like, first off, you can't say How. Ome one game works and another does not like you did because different games require different things. Have you tried a different version of Doom? It honestly does not sound like the OS is your problem. The parts of your laptop also detiriorate over time!

Sorry for lack of formatting, I am at work on my cell. (to answer your question, it can play doom)
Loathes