Polit Bureau - The Release

Share and discuss your N map releases in this forum.

Moderator: zoasBE

Rate it!

No votes
No votes
No votes
57%
43%

Total votes: 7

On the Psychic Highway
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/mahi_mahi

Postby Mustardude » 2010.04.16 (03:01)

After months of toiling this thing to death, the Russian enigma is complete. The soldiers march... the blood flows... the sorrow is etched on the faces of millions.

Polit Bureau.

I'd like to thank flagmyidol, sunset, and nevershine for playtesting. They were vital to my pack's success, in my opinion.

However, the biggest thanks goes to Izzy, who not only playtested most of these levels, he made an absolutely fantastic image (shown below). This piece of work is dedicated to him. You earned it man. Thanks also to furry_ant for volunteering his image.

0-0 to 9-4.

Attachments
Polit Bureau.txt
0-0 to 9-4
(73.94 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Check out the pack thread, click the picture above
wordblamcreator wrote:mahi_mahi has the french flag up! He must be surrendering...
mahi_mahi wrote:It's the Russian flag.

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/numa_ninja
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby numa_ninja » 2010.04.16 (04:23)

Hmm. Well, I'm really not sure about this pack. Yeah, sure it has maps in it, and there's ninjas too, but that was all that I really got out of it. There wasn't really any variety, me personally speaking. But, there were some nice ones that I found.

I liked 3-2 because it played quite simply, but was cool to move around in with all of those slopes and stuff. The mines were good also. Another one I liked was 3-4. Really simple too, but that rocket dodging was nice, and that drone there was good also. It was almost like it was brutally honest with the way it played. No sort of one-ways or little clever door-y things, just a map that played well. 5-3 was another of these maps. The laser was well-placed, with the rocket to clean up any scraps left over when you passed by. The next level after that was also nice. I thought if there was a little less chaingun, and- oh, it's a survival. Man, this should totally be a map! What happened? :( Moving swiftly on, 6-1 was pretty sweet. I liked that bounceblock concept thing, but I was hoping it would have been more easy to squeeze past. Either that, or I suck. But yeah, I do understand what you were pulling off with that area, and how it lures you in to your death, hence the name of the level. Cleverly done. Chechnya Waterfront surprised me greatly with those tiles, and that rocket looked frankly exciting! Hell, it even plays well. Rocket was good as expected, and those drones forced you into the middle where you were at the mercy of the rocket. Good job on that one. 8-0 was another one I liked. The thwump stops you at the most innapropriate time with that gauss staring you down. Then there was that gold. Haha, it was pretty intense knowing that the chaingun will eventually tear you to shreds. 9-2 was also a favourite. Little sections of the map provided different challenges as you progressed onwards. I also like how you had to go around when you got the exit key if you wanted the gold and the extra challenge. The next map onwards was a nice change of pace. Wait, after playing it, it turns out it was an angry beast in disguise. Well played. Drones were really used at maximum efficiency, with the gausses pressuring your efforts to steal their gold. If some of the smaller maps that I liked here were expanded upon, this would have been a really great pack for me, at least.

Although those maps were good, I saw that most of the big maps played the same. Utilising these new concepts to get the door key, which really only involves like one or two keys to get to it, and then some laser or chaigun or something like that in the middle. And of course there's that line of oneways which are good for the first two tries, but you know, they kinda become a cheap gimmick after a whole column. I guess because of this there really wasn't anything that shone through, except the ones I liked, because you know when I saw these different maps I almost woke up and thought Woah, something different! Maybe I'll like this one, but with the others it's just the same and you really don't give the player any opportunity to think if they'll like it or not because it's just the same thing. I'm not really sure if this is supposed to be some sort of secret metaphor for Russian history, because I have no clue about that.

Aaguhfd. I apologize if I was a horrible reviewer, it's just that why download this pack when you've got the whole mahi archive to explore on NUMA? I've found myself horribly biased when I did this review, but mostly because I wasn't particluarly hot-to-trot on the whole radium/mahi bandwagon to start with. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk or anything in this. :/

Aaa, overall I really don't know how to rate this map pack. I guess because I haven't really enjoyed this and really gotten into it I don't really have an opinion on what to rate it. I mean, a whole lot of words is a lot more than just one number, so I guess you're stuck with this then. :/

Eleven Squared
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/nevershine

Postby nevershine » 2010.04.16 (13:23)

it's fantastic how there are so many different gameplay mechanics in these maps. go play them, guys!

also, the image is really well done. good job, izzy.

<~blue_tetris> First off, making a game and calling it the sequel to Tetris is like making "Butter 2: Revenge of Butter".
<~blue_tetris> And it's actually margarine.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2010.04.16 (14:24)

Is our map in there?

:D

I'll play 'em all again/whatnot one of these days.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

On the Psychic Highway

Postby Mustardude » 2010.04.17 (03:56)

numa_ninja wrote:Hmm. Well, I'm really not sure about this pack. Yeah, sure it has maps in it, and there's ninjas too, but that was all that I really got out of it. There wasn't really any variety, me personally speaking. But, there were some nice ones that I found.

I liked 3-2 because it played quite simply, but was cool to move around in with all of those slopes and stuff. The mines were good also. Another one I liked was 3-4. Really simple too, but that rocket dodging was nice, and that drone there was good also. It was almost like it was brutally honest with the way it played. No sort of one-ways or little clever door-y things, just a map that played well. 5-3 was another of these maps. The laser was well-placed, with the rocket to clean up any scraps left over when you passed by. The next level after that was also nice. I thought if there was a little less chaingun, and- oh, it's a survival. Man, this should totally be a map! What happened? :( Moving swiftly on, 6-1 was pretty sweet. I liked that bounceblock concept thing, but I was hoping it would have been more easy to squeeze past. Either that, or I suck. But yeah, I do understand what you were pulling off with that area, and how it lures you in to your death, hence the name of the level. Cleverly done. Chechnya Waterfront surprised me greatly with those tiles, and that rocket looked frankly exciting! Hell, it even plays well. Rocket was good as expected, and those drones forced you into the middle where you were at the mercy of the rocket. Good job on that one. 8-0 was another one I liked. The thwump stops you at the most innapropriate time with that gauss staring you down. Then there was that gold. Haha, it was pretty intense knowing that the chaingun will eventually tear you to shreds. 9-2 was also a favourite. Little sections of the map provided different challenges as you progressed onwards. I also like how you had to go around when you got the exit key if you wanted the gold and the extra challenge. The next map onwards was a nice change of pace. Wait, after playing it, it turns out it was an angry beast in disguise. Well played. Drones were really used at maximum efficiency, with the gausses pressuring your efforts to steal their gold. If some of the smaller maps that I liked here were expanded upon, this would have been a really great pack for me, at least.

Although those maps were good, I saw that most of the big maps played the same. Utilising these new concepts to get the door key, which really only involves like one or two keys to get to it, and then some laser or chaigun or something like that in the middle. And of course there's that line of oneways which are good for the first two tries, but you know, they kinda become a cheap gimmick after a whole column. I guess because of this there really wasn't anything that shone through, except the ones I liked, because you know when I saw these different maps I almost woke up and thought Woah, something different! Maybe I'll like this one, but with the others it's just the same and you really don't give the player any opportunity to think if they'll like it or not because it's just the same thing. I'm not really sure if this is supposed to be some sort of secret metaphor for Russian history, because I have no clue about that.

Aaguhfd. I apologize if I was a horrible reviewer, it's just that why download this pack when you've got the whole mahi archive to explore on NUMA? I've found myself horribly biased when I did this review, but mostly because I wasn't particluarly hot-to-trot on the whole radium/mahi bandwagon to start with. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk or anything in this. :/

Aaa, overall I really don't know how to rate this map pack. I guess because I haven't really enjoyed this and really gotten into it I don't really have an opinion on what to rate it. I mean, a whole lot of words is a lot more than just one number, so I guess you're stuck with this then. :/
Hot damn, it's the most I've ever gotten for one of my mappacks. Hot damn indeed. Thanks man. And you were right about the Russian history part. ^^
wordblamcreator wrote:mahi_mahi has the french flag up! He must be surrendering...

On the Psychic Highway

Postby Mustardude » 2010.04.17 (03:59)

flagmyidol wrote:Is our map in there?

:D

I'll play 'em all again/whatnot one of these days.
Unfortunately, our map was lost in the confusion when the pack was wiped and I had to use a backup. It was 8-2, but I had to start over from 6-0.

Hawaii Five-Oh
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/RadiumFalcon
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby Radium » 2010.04.24 (03:15)

Mappacks never get any attention which is why I never made one.
spoiler

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: Legions of http://nmaps.net/user/Onesevennine
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby OneSevenNine » 2010.05.10 (02:35)

numa_ninja kinda had a point on the variety thing. The best metaphor I can think of for this pack is that it felt a lot like an EP made entirely of remixes of one song. Really good remixes, mind you. but not a whole lot felt like they were making new songs, and I couldn't help but have feelings of deja vu all over the place. A few seemed more interesing: 4-3 was a nice shift in concept, and 7-1 was a nice change in tileset, but overall it was a little monochrome. I mean, the concept is fabulous, and the levels themselves play nicely, but it didn't feel like they were levels that would've been in a pack, or were meant to be played sequentially...
:loud music:
"Whosoever dies with his art on the most hard drives, wins." - Michael W. Dean
'

Doublemember

Postby formica » 2010.05.19 (12:48)

I'm still not through playing these, but I'm really loving it so far. 1-3 is still my favourite :)

Also, I really love how there's a consistent theme through the pack. It's very classy. As is the concept. As are the maps.

This is really great.

EDIT: I've been taking this pack slowly, which might explain why I love the same-ness of the levels and why it doesn't frustrate me.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maxson924

Postby Rose » 2010.05.21 (02:29)

formica wrote:EDIT: I've been taking this pack slowly, which might explain why I love the same-ness of the levels and why it doesn't frustrate me.
Unfortunately, even if I take a pack slowly, my previous experience with it is stored in my mind so it's irrelevant and thus bothers me ._.

Mappacks never get any attention which is why I never made one.
Radium, Chord got 45 downloads. Do a little bit of advertising and word will spread if it's worthwhile :p

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2017.05.01 (08:38)

Is it awkward that I'm seven years late to this party? Several really great maps, but this could have been organized better. I overuse many adjectives. Sorry.
  • POLIT BUREAU // I absolutely love how the drone can end up circling two different areas, but stays effective.
  • 0-0: Bears! // The drones would have been better as non-seekers.
  • 0-1: Abandoned, Unpolluted // The chaingun was rather useless.
  • 0-2: Ural // All the enemies are good here, but if the aesthetic of this pack are "emptiness", I won't really be a fan of it.
  • 0-3: Czar Destruction // Very very nice little map.
  • 0-4: Retaliation in the Streets // Not overly confusing but still has lots to do. Userlevel'd.
  • 1-0: Kommunizm // Lovely tiles, but didn't like the thwumps.
  • 1-1: Nickel Factory // Love the switch to 1-tiles. The laser was kind of boring though.
  • 1-2: Paid Debts // Oh wow, I love the rocket room, and the gauss should have been a rocket.
  • 1-3: Old Orthodox // Love the chaingun, but the rest was sub-par.
  • 1-4: Broken Minds // I liked the seekers, but the other enemies didn't really mesh well.
  • 2-0: Vichy // I love the compactness and the gauss.
  • 2-1: Leningrad Opera // I would have liked it more without the lower seeker area.
  • 2-2: Substinence Farming // Great use of thwumps and oneways, but the bottom section was weak.
  • 2-3: Rocky Shore // I very much love this map. Might change it a bit though. Userlevel'd.
  • 2-4: Caught // I expected to be able to get that gold under the oneway, but I couldn't. :(
  • 3-0: GRU Safehouse // Opposite of 0-4, too much stuff and much too linear.
  • 3-1: Checkpoint ROSSIYA // I hated the gauss and the rocket pair.
  • 3-2: Munitions // Aboslutely lovely tiles, but poor object placement.
  • 3-3: Bloc Party // Tough tough map. A bit overwhelming.
  • 3-4: Retaking of Talinn // Nifty little map. Love the rocket. Userlevel'd.
  • 4-0: Housing Project (estonia) // Boring but it's a very well-organized map.
  • 4-1: Lugev the Lost Soul // The rocket and the chaingun are difficult.
  • 4-2: Forgotten Scraps // I would have liked more gold to collect.
  • 4-3: Dimitri Approved // Didn't like the gauss. A drone would have been better.
  • 4-4: Underground Temple // The rocket area was super stressful to me.
  • 5-0: Government of Lies // Wow, this one is hard.
  • 5-1: Silent Citizen // This one fills up the map, but it wasn't really coherent.
  • 5-2: Raise the Red Flag // For whatever reason the exit switch was impossible for me to get.
  • 5-3: Barren Forest [Artificial] // Interesting use of the optional locked doors.
  • 5-4: The Underpayed // No exit, but fun little design.
  • 6-0: Rusty Monorail Platform // Didn't like the rocket and seeker pair.
  • 6-1: Core Lure // Big fan of the bounceblock layout, but didn't like the gausses. A laser would have been great.
  • 6-2: Alaia // Seems like you have issues with choosing good enemies.
  • 6-3: Thousand Castle // That seeker proves to be tough sumbich.
  • 6-4: Break of the Warsaw Pact // Individual pieces were bad, but overall it was wonderfully made. Userlevel'd.
  • 7-0: Caviar Smuggling Op // Silly use of a trap door, but very fun.
  • 7-1: Chechnya Waterfront // This map is awesome with how self-contained it is. Userlevel'd.
  • 7-2: The Junkyard // Good except for how short it was.
  • 7-3: Misconduct // Unplayable?
  • 7-4: The Mason // The gold could have been better placed, but the two rockets were sweet.
  • 8-0: Government God // It should have said "Бог" instead, and the chaingun could have been a rocket.
  • 8-1: Crisis Talks // While I didn't like the top part, It's a lot of fun.
  • 8-2: After The War // As mentioned at the top, why would this belong in the 08s? Boring.
  • 8-3: SANCTION Security // The top right room was not fiscally viable, but the chainguns were a ton of fun.
  • 8-4: Blood Left in Hospitals // Woah mama, this is a tough nut. Clever door switch area though.
  • 9-0: Sick Days // Loved the dynamic between the seekers and the rocket.
  • 9-1: Triumphant March // Fuck this one was hard. Clashing enemies all over the place.
  • 9-2: Minsk motorworks // Not fun at all.
  • 9-3: Apocalypse: Mir! // The title was more memorable than the map.
  • 9-4: The Gulag // Pretty hospitable for a gulag. Loved the laser a lot.
Demos included.
Attachments
pb-demos.txt
(103.93 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//