the status of NARC

Got a project? Want some help, ideas, advice, or just want to get the word out? This is your place.
Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2012.02.18 (19:32)

Limer wrote:Also, the blank About page cannot be helping with people converting. To someone inexperienced or not clued in on whats happening it could be pretty confusing.
I've commissioned myself to write the About for the meager sum of $0, because I love you guys.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Postby ethel » 2012.02.27 (03:31)

Numa as a community put more effort into exposing mystro23. Can't we just pretend he's to blame for everything wrong with the sight and use that same motivation to FINISH MOA, make an N v8 or w/e it is, and have it download maps from narc. Frankly i don't think any of this is worth the effort if we went back to the way it was, so you should contact addictinggames.com (where i believe most of the original crowd found numa) and put said N v8 or w/e on there. More people on numa would just improve everything imo.

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ENT474

Postby ENT474 » 2012.02.29 (18:05)

ethel wrote:Numa as a community put more effort into exposing mystro23. Can't we just pretend he's to blame for everything wrong with the sight and use that same motivation to FINISH MOA, make an N v8 or w/e it is, and have it download maps from narc. Frankly i don't think any of this is worth the effort if we went back to the way it was, so you should contact addictinggames.com (where i believe most of the original crowd found numa) and put said N v8 or w/e on there. More people on numa would just improve everything imo.
Personally, GIVING N to addictinggames is a bit crazy. Most people never discover the whole game, and it just gives money to the people who pirated the game in the first place. As to blaming mystro23, is he still around anymore?
Nmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.net

Radio Douchebag
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Rhekatou

Postby Rhekatou » 2012.03.03 (01:30)

ENT474 wrote:
ethel wrote:Numa as a community put more effort into exposing mystro23. Can't we just pretend he's to blame for everything wrong with the sight and use that same motivation to FINISH MOA, make an N v8 or w/e it is, and have it download maps from narc. Frankly i don't think any of this is worth the effort if we went back to the way it was, so you should contact addictinggames.com (where i believe most of the original crowd found numa) and put said N v8 or w/e on there. More people on numa would just improve everything imo.
Personally, GIVING N to addictinggames is a bit crazy. Most people never discover the whole game, and it just gives money to the people who pirated the game in the first place. As to blaming mystro23, is he still around anymore?
Pirated a free game?

I remember mystro23... I think he just left because that thread was so embarressing.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2012.03.03 (01:44)

Aidiera wrote:
Limer wrote:Also, the blank About page cannot be helping with people converting. To someone inexperienced or not clued in on whats happening it could be pretty confusing.
I've commissioned myself to write the About for the meager sum of $0, because I love you guys.
Coolio. E-mail it to my forum username at maestro's domain name.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33

Postby scythe » 2012.03.05 (01:53)

Good news, everyone!

The bill for the next billing period has been covered by a couple of awesome people, who may be named if they so choose. It's great to have people supporting the project, but what really matters that people are finally using this thing. We're up to... well, three maps a day, but that's a lot more than we had before.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2012.03.05 (06:02)

cooo
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset

Postby Sunset » 2012.03.05 (23:14)

scythe wrote:Good news, everyone!

The bill for the next billing period has been covered by a couple of awesome people, who may be named if they so choose. It's great to have people supporting the project, but what really matters that people are finally using this thing. We're up to... well, three maps a day, but that's a lot more than we had before.
I've been away from mapping due to life issues. Nothing's happening now and I'm going to be active, so expect even more!

Also sorry for not donating, but I'm broke. ;_____; I would love to contribute, but I don't have the sufficient funds to do so. If I ever do come in contact with a sum of money, NARC will be the first thing on my list to donate to.

Plus (Size) Member

Postby Arachnid » 2012.03.26 (14:43)

Please stop calling it NUMA. I welcome and encourage efforts to replace NUMA by anyone who wants to actively maintain it, but calling your site NUMA is just going to lead to confusion. Please pick another name.

Also, note that my offer of handing NUMA over to anyone who wants to pick up its maintenance and has the knowledge remains open - but nobody has ever applied.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2012.03.26 (15:19)

Arachnid wrote:Please stop calling it NUMA. I welcome and encourage efforts to replace NUMA by anyone who wants to actively maintain it, but calling your site NUMA is just going to lead to confusion. Please pick another name.
It's called NUMA because it's a replacement, not an alternative.

Plus (Size) Member

Postby Arachnid » 2012.03.26 (15:26)

otters wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Please stop calling it NUMA. I welcome and encourage efforts to replace NUMA by anyone who wants to actively maintain it, but calling your site NUMA is just going to lead to confusion. Please pick another name.
It's called NUMA because it's a replacement, not an alternative.
It doesn't matter what you intend for it - it's not the same site, so it should not have the same name.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2012.03.26 (16:00)

Since you're on board with our effort to replace NUMA, could you replace the index of nmaps.net with a page that informs users briefly of the problem with NUMA and offers a link to the new archive (as well as a link to old NUMA with the caveat that it doesn't work)? Someone else could write the copy if you haven't a minute to spare.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Plus (Size) Member

Postby Arachnid » 2012.03.26 (16:33)

SUPERAMERICA wrote:
Since you're on board with our effort to replace NUMA, could you replace the index of nmaps.net with a page that informs users briefly of the problem with NUMA and offers a link to the new archive (as well as a link to old NUMA with the caveat that it doesn't work)? Someone else could write the copy if you haven't a minute to spare.
I'm actually working on migrating NUMA to the new Python runtime right now, so that its downtime issues will hopefully be a thing of the past. Once that's done, I will put a prominent notice on the frontpage that NUMA's in maintenance mode, with a link to NARC as an alternative; it'll be up to users to decide from there.

I won't do this as long as NARC is branding itself as NUMA, however, for reasons already stated.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/zoasBE

Postby zoasBE » 2012.03.26 (16:45)

The NARC Empire is down right now too!! Hummm,,
NARC says:
Something unexpected happened while serving the page at /
Arachnid, from me I LOVE NUMAAA!!!!

EDIT: sorry, now fixed, I'm supossing someone was updating the "About" page in NARC, ufff.. Thanks
[align=center]ZOAS © VODKAS © THE23 © INSATIABLEEEE!!![/align][/font][/color]
just as friends as enemies
even fewer friends

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2012.03.26 (18:29)

Arachnid wrote:
SUPERAMERICA wrote:
I'm actually working on migrating NUMA to the new Python runtime right now, so that its downtime issues will hopefully be a thing of the past. Once that's done, I will put a prominent notice on the frontpage that NUMA's in maintenance mode, with a link to NARC as an alternative; it'll be up to users to decide from there.

I won't do this as long as NARC is branding itself as NUMA, however, for reasons already stated.
I'll rebrand NARC when I see NUMA up and running again. Pardon my skepticism.

Plus (Size) Member

Postby Arachnid » 2012.03.26 (22:57)

otters wrote:I'll rebrand NARC when I see NUMA up and running again. Pardon my skepticism.
This is not a point of negotiation, or a pointless concern. Please change the name now. You're claiming a name that is not yours; worse, you're trading on that name and the efforts of other people to solicit money.

NUMA and NARC are two entirely distinct things. Giving your site the same name only serves to create pointless confusion. It also creates the impression of endorsement - something I'm increasingly unwilling to give in view of your response to this issue.

If you want to position NARC as a successor to NUMA, fine - but first, name one other product that had the same name as its predecessor.

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/_destiny%5E%2D
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Destiny » 2012.03.27 (00:06)

Arachnid wrote:
otters wrote:I'll rebrand NARC when I see NUMA up and running again. Pardon my skepticism.
This is not a point of negotiation, or a pointless concern. Please change the name now. You're claiming a name that is not yours; worse, you're trading on that name and the efforts of other people to solicit money.

NUMA and NARC are two entirely distinct things. Giving your site the same name only serves to create pointless confusion. It also creates the impression of endorsement - something I'm increasingly unwilling to give in view of your response to this issue.

If you want to position NARC as a successor to NUMA, fine - but first, name one other product that had the same name as its predecessor.
He sounds angry. Maybe you should call it NUMA 2. TwoMA. 2MA. Unless that's too similar to Tumor, which it probably is.

Not actually an admin
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/paradox-dragon Paradox
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Paradox » 2012.03.27 (00:11)

NARC is fine, considering the only place it's called NUMA is on a banner on the site, no one calls it NUMA, the URL doesn't have NUMA in it, this forum topic even says NARC

I had an idea of Purging all the NARC maps when N 2.0 comes out & using it for 2.0 maps, but it still needs work

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/RandomDigits
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby RandomDigits » 2012.03.27 (00:58)

Ok, I'm just dropping in to say I agree with Arachnid.
Paradox-Dragon wrote:NARC is fine, considering the only place it's called NUMA is on a banner on the site, no one calls it NUMA, the URL doesn't have NUMA in it, this forum topic even says NARC
Uuntil just now, I thought the donation request on the homepage of "NUMA" was to get NUMA running again. Now, I did find it a little odd that the site that was created to replace NUMA would want to fundraise for NUMA, but I didn't give it much thought. By the way, I'd be interested to know why you guys didn't just stick with "NARC." What that referred to would have been evident. Anyone who would find NARC, even someone who hasn't been following the development of NARC would know that this was not the New n User Map Archive, but the N Archive R...ecreation Center?

If no one calls it NUMA, what exactly is the purpose of the big banner? What does the donation request on the home page ask? And where does the login button take you? Really, the thing I have a problem with the most is the donation request. Here is how it's worded:
We need money to keep NUMA running!

(don't worry, this massive and annoying notice is temporary)
If I donated money there before tonight, I would have done so to support Arachnid's NUMA. (I know there's a big banner that says NUMA right over it. I hadn't paid attention to it, and I have no doubt I am not the only person who didn't.)

P.S. I do realize people in IRC are currently discussing this, but I feel like by posting here, I have more of a chance of being heard.
Image by ChrisE.
Rest of sig by RandomDigits.
bandcamp
deviantART

On the Psychic Highway
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/script

Postby Scrivener » 2012.03.27 (01:53)

Korvash wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

He sounds angry. Maybe you should call it NUMA 2. TwoMA. 2MA. Unless that's too similar to Tumor, which it probably is.
May have already been suggested, but I named it NEWMA in my bookmarks
spoiler

<Uuni> i dont see the escape in religion

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/zoasBE

Postby zoasBE » 2012.03.27 (03:24)

I do not understand the discontent of many of you with NUMA. You all have been great moments in that community, I believe there to be a little more tolerant.

Just a humble opinion.
[align=center]ZOAS © VODKAS © THE23 © INSATIABLEEEE!!![/align][/font][/color]
just as friends as enemies
even fewer friends

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2012.03.27 (04:26)

RandomDigits wrote:If no one calls it NUMA, what exactly is the purpose of the big banner? What does the donation request on the home page ask? And where does the login button take you? Really, the thing I have a problem with the most is the donation request. Here is how it's worded:
We need money to keep NUMA running!

(don't worry, this massive and annoying notice is temporary)
If I donated money there before tonight, I would have done so to support Arachnid's NUMA. (I know there's a big banner that says NUMA right over it. I hadn't paid attention to it, and I have no doubt I am not the only person who didn't.)

P.S. I do realize people in IRC are currently discussing this, but I feel like by posting here, I have more of a chance of being heard.
The change of title from NARC to NUMA only occurred fairly recently. For most of the time it said "we need money to keep NARC running", and the relevant forum topic was very clear about what the money was for, and I'm pretty sure those of us who have contributed were all aware of where the money was going. If anyone did mistakenly donate I'm sure scythe can sort it out.

The name's been changed back to NARC, anyway, which is good.

(And in case the tone of my post suggests otherwise, I have nothing to do with the running of NARC.)
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2012.03.27 (18:44)

Arachnid wrote:I'm actually working on migrating NUMA to the new Python runtime right now, so that its downtime issues will hopefully be a thing of the past. Once that's done, I will put a prominent notice on the frontpage that NUMA's in maintenance mode, with a link to NARC as an alternative; it'll be up to users to decide from there.
Best news I've heard all week.

As a community, updates like these, even if just every few months, keep us coming back. Continuing updates would mean the world to us -- I'm worried that NUMA won't have much of a userbase left if you work on it under comm silence and then put it back up at random.

(EDIT: for Christ's sake guys -- "NUMA," the name, is *under copyright*. That's not arguable.)
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Lucky

Postby HeartView » 2012.05.15 (19:49)

Request: Add a donation link to NUMA please. I actually have money I could donate and that site has nearly 700 maps of mine on it. :p

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3

Postby aids » 2012.05.15 (20:04)

HeartView wrote:Request: Add a donation link to NUMA please. I actually have money I could donate and that site has nearly 700 maps of mine on it. :p
Arachnid says that instead of giving him money, pay it forward with Kiva.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//