Monopoly.

Discuss, create, and theorize about roleplaying games, tabletop games, board games, and other non-electronic interactive entertainments. Run dedicated or complex forum games here, also.

Moderator: ℎalifax

Bayking

Postby Animator » 2009.09.11 (21:59)

One of my favorite board games when I was a kid was Monopoly. Tell about your favorite monopoly experiences here (if any), what piece you like the most, etc. I loved the top hat piece when I was a kid, and I would pretty much beat my parents at it every single time.

Discuss.

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/29403
Steam: What's Steam
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby 29403 » 2009.09.11 (22:06)

I love that game. I remember playing with my cousin at the age of 9. We played til 2 in the morning. When I lost, I cried. I loved the dog piece myself, and always aimed to get the most expensive houses.
sig by donfuy.
Not from Charleston, South Carolina
This Forum is probably the best forum that i have ever used and i would just like to say how proud i am to be a member of this forum

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Riobe
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby Riobe » 2009.09.11 (22:07)

Monopoly has always been like, one of my favorite board games ever.

However, no one in my family is ever willing to play a full game with me. If we ever manage to start a game, it lasts over the span of a few days. Õ_õ not to mention it's not as fun with just two people. :(

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.11 (22:43)

I hate Monopoly. It's way too chance-driven and takes forever to play. And it's the reason for the stereotype of the guy who goes, "so are ya in jail? Or are ya just visiting? Cuz if you're not in jail, you have to be on the outside of the jail."

I wish to play boardgames in Germany.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Diagnosis Mohawk: Bahrain Cock Theory
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/spawn_of_yanni
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2009.09.11 (23:18)

Started close to about 50 games? Finished maybe 2.
feline disrespect from behind

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.11 (23:54)

I've termed "The Monopoly Effect" as being the status of determining a game's winner in the first 10% of time, then playing the other 90% anyway. You know that your dad won Monopoly after hour one. Prepare for a long night...

Risk has a similar status, to a lesser degree. You know, most classical board games weren't made too well. They were marketed amazingly back in the 50's and 60's.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby aids » 2009.09.12 (00:51)

Jenga was better.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

It Must've Been Love
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/XiAH

Postby Lachesis » 2009.09.12 (02:06)

I used to like it, before I discovered Settlers Of Catan...
^made by Life247^
Image - Made by UniverseZero
Kickin' It Ninja Style! is at Episode 01-1 as of OCT11
OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENTS

A Small Bit of Code (Tweak), The Great Nation of Hispanyanlandia (OneSevenNine), The Land of Rape and Honey (87654321), Don (COMMET), Omega (COMMET), N: The Legacy (DarkN), U (Drathmoore), and My zombified-webcomic-which-needs-a-name (Wannas)

Quotes

"My parents thinks I incredibly smart and has lots of expectations from me." -Tunco

[Old Forums: 341 (0.07% of total forum posts)]
Coming Soon
other sig - made by Vyacheslav

Ice Cold

Postby DarkN » 2009.09.12 (04:30)

I used to like it, then I found Heroscape. Then, after that, I found dnd. I have yet to move out of this stage. My guess is the next one will be something like Halo.
n: the legacy is now at Season 2, Episode 54. HEY LOOK, A DRAMATIC CUT OFF, also I updated this on time.
Coming Soon eventually
previous sigs

shameless self promotion

check mah geeky blog: http://shadowpwn.blogspot.com

gratuitous quotes

Do not be that giant treadmill that feeds donuts to the hell troll.
~SlappyMcGee

There really isn't any more I can say other than awesome vine-swinging bunny is awesome.
~Ignate

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIT SON. YOU JUST GOT TIZZOLD, SLIPPY MAC ADDICT GEE.
~Ampersand

Clearly we need to run a campaign in schools to educate teens on the many benefits of homosexuality.
~Atilla

Okay guys, please speak up now if you /are/ a paedophile. I promise I won't laugh.
~MattKestrel

By a complete fluke, God created the universe, and all within it.
~Universezero

dreams slip through our fingers like hott slut sexxx
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Tunco123

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.12 (07:27)

I used to like it, but games got longer and longer, my longest monopoly game lasted 8 hours?
spoiler

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Zephyr » 2009.09.12 (12:24)

29403 wrote:always aimed to get the most expensive houses.
Riobe wrote:However, no one in my family is ever willing to play a full game with me. If we ever manage to start a game, it lasts over the span of a few days. Õ_õ not to mention it's not as fun with just two people. :(
Spawn of Yanni wrote:Started close to about 50 games? Finished maybe 2.
I used to play it with myself when I was bored.
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Riobe

Postby Riobe » 2009.09.12 (14:20)

Tunco123 wrote:I used to like it, but games got longer and longer, my longest monopoly game lasted 8 hours?
Only 8 hours? :O

I'm guessing you didn't finish it then. :P

dreams slip through our fingers like hott slut sexxx
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Tunco123

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.12 (14:40)

Riobe wrote:
Tunco123 wrote:I used to like it, but games got longer and longer, my longest monopoly game lasted 8 hours?
Only 8 hours? :O

I'm guessing you didn't finish it then. :P
Yes. :/
spoiler

Antonio Banderas
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/donfuy

Postby Donfuy » 2009.09.12 (20:39)

Hm, I never finished one, but I quite like to play it, if in a comfortable position.

I rarely play it.

Phei Phei Pho Phum
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides

Postby Pheidippides » 2009.09.14 (23:30)

I play Monopoly a few times a year, and finish most games. If you play with the right people, you don't feel the tediousness as much. That said, I've never seen a Monopoly game go more than four hours, so maybe I'm just lucky.

I go with the battleship piece every time.
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.15 (00:10)

I'm sure I must've told this story before, but my best tabletop gaming experience was actually with the game Clue.
The following is my account of my first and last game of Clue:

I and eight of my friends were sitting around a table playing Clue. I had never learned the rules, and only had time to consider basic strategy while we were already playing, so I was naturally behind. Pretty much everyone else knew what they were doing. I only got the hang of what I was supposed to be doing near endgame, and I didn't have a clue (ha!) as to the solution when everyone else started guessing. Now the epic bit: With eight people talking to each other, reaching across the table, observing the board, etc., I managed to palm the envelope with the solution in plain sight at the center of the table, sneak a peek at the answer under the table, and put it back with no one noticing. When it came to my turn, I "guessed" correctly and won. Nobody was the wiser until I told them what happened long after the fact.
It was easily the most ninja moment of my life.

And that's one of the reasons I'm instantly a fan of those rare games that include in their official rules what I call the Valid Cheating Clause, which often reads something like, "If a player cheats and gets away with it, it's fair play. If he's caught, he's penalized by [whatever]."
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Why Was Six Afraid of Seven? Because...
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/999_Springs

Postby 999_Springs » 2009.09.15 (19:42)

About nine years ago I bought some hand-held electronic Monopoly game for about £13. I wonder if any of you own a hand-held version? I checked back in the store three weeks after I bought it and it had gone - and I have never seen it since. Ever.

As for the gameplay, doing it electronically is much faster than the actual board game, and it saves your progress automatically when you turn it off, which is a lot less tedious than having to re-set everything back up again manually. However, the electronic game gets boring after six years when you have got to know all of the computer players thoroughly and you know EXACTLY the amount of money they will trade property for. Then it gets too predictable.
Achievements:

Completed N and NReality.
106 N v1.4 highscores.
I used to maintain 1000 NReality Level Top20 Highscores - Ranked 0th
Former Owner of Episode 169, way back when.
I've taken 10 Metanet 0ths. 6 of them lasted <2 days. I don't have any of them anymore. >:(
Third Place in BLUR 4 highscore.
Not highscoring anymore until v2.

EddyMataGallos is an alien.

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr

Postby Zephyr » 2009.09.16 (01:25)

999_Springs wrote:About nine years ago I bought some hand-held electronic Monopoly game for about £13. I wonder if any of you own a hand-held version? I checked back in the store three weeks after I bought it and it had gone - and I have never seen it since. Ever.

As for the gameplay, doing it electronically is much faster than the actual board game, and it saves your progress automatically when you turn it off, which is a lot less tedious than having to re-set everything back up again manually.
I have monopoly on my iPod, if I recall correctly it was about $5-6.
However, the electronic game gets boring after six years when you have got to know all of the computer players thoroughly and you know EXACTLY the amount of money they will trade property for. Then it gets too predictable.
Yeah, it's the same on my version except I also have an option to play against real people.
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Secretariat Ain't Got Nuthin' On This Shit
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.16 (01:32)

mintnut wrote:Oh my life, STRAP ON A PAIR! Get over it, make better maps, innit?
Posts from the old forums: 11,194

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby aids » 2009.09.16 (02:17)

Imagine if the prices of the places in Monopoly went up with inflation.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Planet_Apes-lawgiver-statue.jpg

Postby Pikman » 2009.09.17 (01:06)

Random Fact: The longest game of Monopoly lasted 59 days. That's GAME TIME.

I'm a fan of the bag o' money myself.

Hawaii Five-Oh

Postby blackson » 2009.09.17 (03:29)

blue_tetris wrote:I've termed "The Monopoly Effect" as being the status of determining a game's winner in the first 10% of time, then playing the other 90% anyway. You know that your dad won Monopoly after hour one. Prepare for a long night...
The pinnacle of Monopoly is trading correctly. If you are good at this, then properties should be close, thus having a close game all the way to the end. The "you" in your post must be terrible at determining a quality trade.

The only part of the game I dislike is how quickly the tables can turn; one hit on someone else's hotels and they have the upper hand.

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.17 (04:15)

The pinnacle of the game? Trading correctly is the entire game. It's the mechanic. Even when doing so, the win condition is set to be pretty late-game. A few early mistakes make you lose, then you spend the rest of the game losing.

Risk also has the Monopoly effect, to a lesser degree. To win the game, you need to go above and beyond being the obvious winner to your opponents.

It's important to any game that even the losers are having fun. The game should be generally entertaining every step of the way.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/eternal_moonlight

Postby moonlight » 2009.09.30 (22:49)

I only love the original Monopoly, other than the Pokemon version. ^.^

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Planet_Apes-lawgiver-statue.jpg

Postby Pikman » 2009.10.02 (19:51)

Ahahah, I was just reminded of an exclusive edition of Monopoly made especially for members of my township a few years ago. The spaces are all local businesses, and I think the railroads are actually bus lines. 'Twas fun looking back and seeing how many of those organizations actually survived the current economic conditions.