Risk

Discuss, create, and theorize about roleplaying games, tabletop games, board games, and other non-electronic interactive entertainments. Run dedicated or complex forum games here, also.

Moderator: ℎalifax

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2009.09.14 (18:59)

Everyone knows that this game is win. I really love this game, I even have rough strategies devised for various situations, depending on which starting countrys I get. There is nothing more satisfying than winning a 7 hour risk game :D

Any other risk fans here? discuss!
:)

dreams slip through our fingers like hott slut sexxx
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Tunco123
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.14 (19:01)

Me! A big fan. I used to play up to 12 hours with my friends, best strategy-board game ever.
spoiler

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.14 (21:14)

Hell yes. I own face at Risk.

Thing is, my primary exposure to Risk is through a very simple reproduction of it on my computer called TurboRisk. It's local only (as opposed to multiplayer over a network) but supports bot players. You can write your own bot scripts, but generally the ones it comes with and the ones easily found online can be ridiculously challenging (especially fucking Descartes... that dude never dies unless you seek him out at the start of the game). I've developed pretty much all of my strategy by playing countless games like this, at the rate and frequency that a bored secretary goes through games of Solitaire.

Of the few games of Risk I actually played in person, though, I found that I talk considerably less than other players at the table. My only focus is on involving myself in enough diplomacy that I'm not ganged up on, because I know I can win a completely silent game.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2009.09.14 (21:22)

Brazil and West Africa are the key territories, given that you're playing on the classic board.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.14 (22:10)

Tsukatu wrote:Of the few games of Risk I actually played in person, though, I found that I talk considerably less than other players at the table. My only focus is on involving myself in enough diplomacy that I'm not ganged up on, because I know I can win a completely silent game.
Yes.

The silent game is actually winnable. Not really through an evaluation of the eponymous quality of gameplay--no. Through memorizing strategy, really. The game is at its best when it's played socially. That might be why Diplomacy is a slightly superior game.

It's interesting. My roommate and I were just talking about this the other day.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/KlanKaos
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby KlanKaos » 2009.09.15 (03:33)

I play Risk a fair bit with my dad and a few friends. We have the classic, 40-year-old gameboard, and I tend to go for the Americas first before expanding through Africa into Europe, if I get the chance to do what I want. But seriously, it's a great game.

RoboBarber

Postby Aphex » 2009.09.15 (15:05)

I almost always go for the southern hemisphere. Australia is awesome, and so is south america if you get africa as well. The other guys your playing with will usually be more worried about getting the massive areas of the board, allowing you to dominate the south, which means as long as you control one territory in east europe, west europe and north america, you overwhelm the enem... friends.
KlanKaos wrote:We have the classic, 40-year-old gameboard
ahah, same. I also have LOTR risk, which is suprisingly more strategic than normal risk, due to the fact certain territories have abilitys (such as -1 on the attackers rolls), as well as 'heros' and special cards...
blue_tetris wrote: The silent game is actually winnable. Not really through an evaluation of the eponymous quality of gameplay--no. Through memorizing strategy, really. The game is at its best when it's played socially. That might be why Diplomacy is a slightly superior game.
Yeah... The only problem with risk is that I get a bit too serious about it sometimes. Luckily I manage to mask my serious strategys with some chat, so fortunatly none of my friends now think I'm a dick when I play risk, they just assume I'm incredibly lucky :3 fu fu fu. Little do they know...

Also having some kind of game console is necessary for most games of risk, seeing as 12 hours of solid risk isn't everyones cup of tea.

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/lord_day

Postby lord_day » 2009.09.15 (15:11)

blue_tetris wrote:That might be why Diplomacy is a slightly superior game.
I prefer Diplomacy over Risk. There are no dice involved in diplomacy, the game is a little simpler in terms of mechanics, and it is a game that is almost impossible to win silently. You really need allies to accomplish anything.

On the other hand, I do enjoy Risk, and have played a few different variations on it.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.15 (15:13)

Aphex wrote:I almost always go for the southern hemisphere. Australia is awesome, and so is south america if you get africa as well. The other guys your playing with will usually be more worried about getting the massive areas of the board, allowing you to dominate the south, which means as long as you control one territory in east europe, west europe and north america, you overwhelm the enem... friends.
Getting Australia is in the first things I would do. Also don't forget to take over sourthern Asia, if not, you will be trapped in Australia. Getting all Asia is almost impossible -I didn't saw anyone who did so far- but I like Northern America too. It's awesome.
spoiler

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2009.09.15 (21:16)

Tunco123 wrote:Getting Australia is in the first things I would do.
I knew someone would say that and I hate you for it.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Yet Another Harshad

Postby KlanKaos » 2009.09.15 (22:27)

flagmyidol wrote:
I agree. My mom always goes for Australia and it pisses me off.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.15 (22:42)

flagmyidol wrote:
Why? It's a damned good strategy. My first move is almost always to take over either Australia and park my ass on the bottleneck that is Siam, or South America and keep my forces in North Africa and Central America. Then I grow out of those.
Australia and South America are the best continents to start off owning because they have the fewest places to defend. Australia is very easy to hold because you can just concentrate all of your forces in Siam, but South America has the simple tradeoff of an additional bottleneck for access to a second way to expand immediately.

Just about every game I've played well followed a rise through the following hierarchy.

Good starting points:
Australia: 1 route to defend, access to 1 continent
South America: 2 routes to defend, access to 2 continents

Gambit for power:
North America: 3 routes to defend, access to 3 continents
Africa: 3 routes to defend, access to 3 continents

Road to victory:
Europe: 4 routes to defend, access to 3 continents
Asia: 5 routes to defend, access to 4 continents

Anyone who tries to start with control of Asia or Europe is practically guaranteed to fail. The overwhelming majority of the games I've played end in Asia and Europe.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Yet Another Harshad

Postby KlanKaos » 2009.09.16 (01:34)

Yeah, but it's so boring to go for Australia.

I agree it's a good strategy, but I don't like it for that reason. You can just chill in Siam and you've got one country to pack yourself into then collect cards until you feel like a bit of expansion. It just bores me. I prefer to take the Americas first, myself, then expand into Africa and Europe, then Asia, and leave Australia for last.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.16 (08:45)

KlanKaos wrote:Yeah, but it's so boring to go for Australia.
I agree it's a good strategy, but I don't like it for that reason.
o_o
*blink* *blink*
spoiler

Demon Fisherman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.16 (09:02)

Some people play games for fun, Sook.

You know, a fundamental aspect of game design is that victory and entertainment should involve the same process.
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.16 (11:44)

blue_tetris wrote:Some people play games for fun, Sook.

You know, a fundamental aspect of game design is that victory and entertainment should involve the same process.
Sure, but what part of choosing an intentionally stupid strategy so that you'll die early on and be out of the game for the latter 75% is fun?
Having fun and playing the game effectively are not mutually exclusive.
spoiler

Dance Dance Revolution Android
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ChaoStar
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby ChaoStar » 2009.09.16 (13:34)

I find that sticking hundreds of army units in Madagascar is funny. Other people don't. I'm always the last to die.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.16 (14:09)

Tsukatu wrote:
flagmyidol wrote:
Why? It's a damned good strategy. My first move is almost always to take over either Australia and park my ass on the bottleneck that is Siam, or South America and keep my forces in North Africa and Central America. Then I grow out of those.
Australia and South America are the best continents to start off owning because they have the fewest places to defend. Australia is very easy to hold because you can just concentrate all of your forces in Siam, but South America has the simple tradeoff of an additional bottleneck for access to a second way to expand immediately.

Just about every game I've played well followed a rise through the following hierarchy.

Good starting points:
Australia: 1 route to defend, access to 1 continent
South America: 2 routes to defend, access to 2 continents

Gambit for power:
North America: 3 routes to defend, access to 3 continents
Africa: 3 routes to defend, access to 3 continents

Road to victory:
Europe: 4 routes to defend, access to 3 continents
Asia: 5 routes to defend, access to 4 continents

Anyone who tries to start with control of Asia or Europe is practically guaranteed to fail. The overwhelming majority of the games I've played end in Asia and Europe.
If someone has control all over Asia and fails first. That's a fact. Well, not if you mastered the game.
spoiler

RoboBarber

Postby Aphex » 2009.09.16 (14:39)

Tsukatu wrote:
blue_tetris wrote:Some people play games for fun, Sook.

Sure, but what part of choosing an intentionally stupid strategy so that you'll die early on and be out of the game for the latter 75% is fun?
Having fun and playing the game effectively are not mutually exclusive.
Risk is serious business. I usually have fun winning, and using strategy, though I'm not sure if the people I play with find my slaughter fun... Then again, if people don't like it, they usually team up, which means they'll have fun trying to stop their inevitable demise.

Cowboy Magician
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Drathmoore
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Drathmoore » 2009.09.16 (15:28)

Aah, Risk. One of the games I got that no-one will play...

I hate living in a hamlet...

Ice Cold
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rambo5252

Postby rambo5252 » 2009.09.16 (16:32)

Risk is fun, my friends are the worst losers so we usually dont finish the game cause someone flips the board in anger =\ Has anyone played axis and allies?? It's like risk but on steroids haha. Ive onley played it with my cousins, i don't dare play with my friends.
Thanks Toasters for the siggy
Other sigs
NotSteve's|GTM's | NicNac's | Be Happy's
ø„¸¨"°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°" ¨¸„ø¤º°"¨
¨"°º¤ø„¸RAMBO ¸„ø¤º°"¨
¸„ø¤º°"¨ ROCKS!!~~~~ ``"°º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°"¨¸„ø¤º°"¨¨"°º ¤ø„¸¨"°

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.16 (21:04)

Aphex wrote:Risk is serious business. I usually have fun winning, and using strategy, though I'm not sure if the people I play with find my slaughter fun...
It's all about attitude. I've done well enough in the art of kicking people's asses and having them love me for it.
spoiler

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.16 (21:27)

Dave has never lost at risk ever, and he never/always uses Australia.
Loathes

Yet Another Harshad

Postby KlanKaos » 2009.09.16 (21:58)

Tsukatu wrote:
o_o
*blink* *blink*
That didn't come out right.

I meant I agree it's a good strategy, but I don't like it because it bores me, not because it's good. I win a reasonable amount of games other ways, and they're far more interesting than Australia.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.17 (14:52)

KlanKaos wrote:
Tsukatu wrote:
o_o
*blink* *blink*
That didn't come out right.

I meant I agree it's a good strategy, but I don't like it because it bores me, not because it's good. I win a reasonable amount of games other ways, and they're far more interesting than Australia.
Yes. Usually when I get Australia, it feels like I'm not in the game, because it only has connection with South Asia, not much action you can do.
spoiler