Which style do you prefer for my writing website?

Discuss entertainment media here, including TV, cinema, the Internet, books and literature, and other non-musical works or multimedia productions.

Which style do you prefer for my writing website?

Style 1
33%
Style 2
17%
How it is now
50%

Total votes: 6

dreams slip through our fingers like hott slut sexxx
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Tunco123
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.19 (17:05)

Much better. But the top of the page is black, rest of the page is white. That colour difference makes it look bad.
spoiler

Life Time Achievement Award

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.19 (17:53)

Okay, so what color(s) would you suggest? Just a more shaded grey? Or an actual color? Or would you prefer a different image or a different color for the header?

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.19 (18:25)

Why Me wrote:Okay, so what color(s) would you suggest? Just a more shaded grey? Or an actual color? Or would you prefer a different image or a different color for the header?
I suggest a blackish gray (shaded), also don't make the header colour different than the rest of the site, make background shaded gray, make the header a tone of gray, (a bit brighter) and the main screen where you type should be a mix of those colours you will use, but it should look nice.
spoiler

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.19 (20:07)

Okay, I have closed the gaps between the radical shifts in shade. I have left up the original, so as to compare between the two. I feel that this looks better and...metallic, even. Here is the previous, and here is the new version. Tell me what you think. This may not be what you had in mind, but this is what I gathered from your post. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't have the second link. It's there now. Thanks.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.19 (22:16)

Why Me wrote:Okay, I have closed the gaps between the radical shifts in shade. I have left up the original, so as to compare between the two. I feel that this looks better and...metallic, even. Here is the previous, and here is the new version. Tell me what you think. This may not be what you had in mind, but this is what I gathered from your post. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't have the second link. It's there now. Thanks.
2nd one is way better.
spoiler

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.19 (22:24)

Okay, thanks a lot, I agree. Thanks for the help. Anything else that you think it needs? I'm about to change the menu bar to a bunch of rollover images. The only difference is that normally the backgrounds will be the light grey, but when you scroll over them, the they will be the darker grey. Also, if anyone has any knowledge as to how I can get the menu to expand without using a Spry Menu Bar (because I've tried that), and have it overlap the main page's body, instead of just push it down.

EDIT: Supposedly, my dad has an extension which will allow me to create pop-out menus. I'll get that installed tomorrow. Also, I will look for a way to input a search query box onto my website for the next hour or two.

Diagnosis Mohawk: Bahrain Cock Theory
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/spawn_of_yanni
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2009.09.19 (23:31)

Tunco123 wrote:
Why Me wrote:Okay, I have closed the gaps between the radical shifts in shade. I have left up the original, so as to compare between the two. I feel that this looks better and...metallic, even. Here is the previous, and here is the new version. Tell me what you think. This may not be what you had in mind, but this is what I gathered from your post. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.

2nd one is way better.
Really? Naw. Really? I don't think so.
feline disrespect from behind

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.20 (00:00)

Spawn of Yanni wrote: Really? Naw. Really? I don't think so.
What do you prefer in the first over the second? I would like to understand your reasoning behind your decision.

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2009.09.20 (00:08)

In the second design, it looks like there's been some sort of error in loading the background of the header (... has there been some sort of error there?) The darker gradient on the first one works a lot better, to me. Although, yeah, the plain grey background in the first one isn't great.

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.20 (00:12)

Spawn of Yanni wrote:In the second design, it looks like there's been some sort of error in loading the background of the header (... has there been some sort of error there?)
Hmm...an error you say? what web browser are you using? And what kind of error? Care to elaborate? There's nothing that I would classify as an 'error' in the header when using Safari, Firefox, or even Internet Explorer.

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2009.09.20 (00:22)

Why Me wrote:
Spawn of Yanni wrote:In the second design, it looks like there's been some sort of error in loading the background of the header (... has there been some sort of error there?)
Hmm...an error you say? what web browser are you using? And what kind of error? Care to elaborate? There's nothing that I would classify as an 'error' in the header when using Safari, Firefox, or even Internet Explorer.
Haha, I don't think it's an error, I'm just saying it looks that way because it looks... unfinished. Since there's no difference between the background of the header and the rest of the page.

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.20 (00:30)

Okay, I'll make a new page with a much less subtle change, but not nearly as obvious as the first.

EDIT: Here it is. Tell me, is it better?

I've just had a great idea. What if I take the first and second versions of this theme, and have them interchangeable? I could either have one of them as a sub-domain, or just as a different page, but the URL seems the same? I'll think more in-depth about it tomorrow, when my friend (whose really good with this kind of stuff, BTW) gets here.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.20 (08:55)

Why Me wrote:Okay, I'll make a new page with a much less subtle change, but not nearly as obvious as the first.

EDIT: Here it is. Tell me, is it better?

I've just had a great idea. What if I take the first and second versions of this theme, and have them interchangeable? I could either have one of them as a sub-domain, or just as a different page, but the URL seems the same? I'll think more in-depth about it tomorrow, when my friend (whose really good with this kind of stuff, BTW) gets here.
According to what Yanni said, it's better. Though, It looks so plain, do something else with background, I don't know, if you want to.
spoiler

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.20 (16:17)

Tunco123 wrote:Though, It looks so plain, do something else with background
Hmm, see, the only problem with that is that I can't think of anything else that would go with the header and the rest of the page. I'll think about it for a while, and see if I can come up with anything.

EDIT: Strange...more and more the original seems to grow on me. Well anyway, here's one with a background that I've made a while ago. I think that it looks pretty cool, but for some reason it just doesn't quite seem...done.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.20 (18:19)

Why Me wrote:
Tunco123 wrote:Though, It looks so plain, do something else with background
Hmm, see, the only problem with that is that I can't think of anything else that would go with the header and the rest of the page. I'll think about it for a while, and see if I can come up with anything.

EDIT: Strange...more and more the original seems to grow on me. Well anyway, here's one with a background that I've made a while ago. I think that it looks pretty cool, but for some reason it just doesn't quite seem...done.
Because now the colour of background doesn't look nice with the header and the overall colour. :/
spoiler

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.20 (18:53)

Hmm, yeah. I can't really think of anything else that might even remotely work, though. I'll try looking for and thinking about what might work. I'll talk to my friend about it when he gets here in a couple hours, as well.

Oh, and also: I added a search bar and the drop-down menu onto all three designs. Take a look, and tell me what you think. It was a lot of trouble; I got a little aggravated.

Postby Why Me » 2009.09.22 (01:25)

Okay, well, I think I've decided that I'm going to use this theme (the first and second versions being interchangeable) for my website, as it is the most well-received, and I've run out of ideas. So thanks everyone for the help. If you'd like to see the finished product, I could just PM you a link once I've completed all of the website. Oh, and Tunco; would you like me to credit you one the website for help on the theme? Because the link you gave me gave me inspiration, and you helped out with the second edition of the theme. If not, just say so, and if so, tell me whether you'd prefer being in the footer of the theme or on the Support and Credits page. If it doesn't really matter to you whether or not you're credited, I'll put it in the footer, as I feel that it is nice to show thanks for someone who helped you out.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered; I want to make the quote on the bottom of the sidebar random, switching between several others. I'm not sure how to do that, but I know that I'll have to make some kind of quote database.

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.22 (07:19)

Why Me wrote:Okay, well, I think I've decided that I'm going to use this theme (the first and second versions being interchangeable) for my website, as it is the most well-received, and I've run out of ideas. So thanks everyone for the help. If you'd like to see the finished product, I could just PM you a link once I've completed all of the website. Oh, and Tunco; would you like me to credit you one the website for help on the theme? Because the link you gave me gave me inspiration, and you helped out with the second edition of the theme. If not, just say so, and if so, tell me whether you'd prefer being in the footer of the theme or on the Support and Credits page. If it doesn't really matter to you whether or not you're credited, I'll put it in the footer, as I feel that it is nice to show thanks for someone who helped you out.
Thanks. ;D

But not footer, footer should get the attention of the page, so, put to bottom of the page, like when you download a theme and when you run website with the downloaded theme, theme's creators' name would be at the bottom of the page, with a little font size.

Yeah, put my name to bottom of the page, thanks.
spoiler

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby otters » 2009.10.01 (02:29)

Hey, I used to be a member of this site! It was really nice, back in the day, although you guys did compliment my horrible writing. I prefer style #2, but I would really recommend using Wordpress and especially not using Dreamweaver for web design.