The Simpsons.

Discuss entertainment media here, including TV, cinema, the Internet, books and literature, and other non-musical works or multimedia productions.
Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.10.23 (22:58)

So, I've been watching some of the more recent episodes and, while certainly not good, are still a vast improvement over the last ten or so years. So, I'm curious about what you dudes think about the state of the show? Beating a dead horse? What was your peak Simpsons season?
Loathes

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Orion_

Postby Broghan » 2009.10.24 (00:04)

If my memory serves me right, I think that Season 6 was the best season. It might have been Season 5, but regardless, one of those seasons had the episode with the trampoline, as well as Homer Goes To College, which is my favorite episode ever.
They have really started to loosen up with their plot-lines due to the long-running success of the show, and I think this is a mixed blessing. It can result in bizarre plots and events, or ideas that have been "flogged" before. They have gotten into a groove of where episodes go, which I find a little bit annoying. It still beats a hell of a lot of animated shows out there, though.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2009.10.24 (09:38)

I've seen a few recent episodes and they are better than the slightly-less-recent episodes. I've only seen a few, though, because I still don't enjoy them much. It's hard to be at all objective about those episodes because the classics (around seasons 3 to 6) are pretty much my favourite thing in the world, and these days it's just not the same show.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/Weisslenny0
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Lenny » 2009.10.25 (04:48)

ortsz wrote:I've seen a few recent episodes and they are better than the slightly-less-recent episodes.
That's my view, too. I enjoy watching the episodes that are shown on TV - especially the newer ones - but they're not as funny as some of the classic ones. I'm still kind of glad that it continues though, because it does have its moments.

----------------
Now playing: Vivaldi - Summer
via FoxyTunes
ImageImageImage
<&Yanni> I've had an ambient song like this playing for a couple hours,
<&Yanni> Oh no wait that is MY AIR CONDITIONER

-----
<@Animator> :::: Techno was killed by a better music genre.
-----
<SouthyMcGee> Music is auditory art. What art is a different argument.
----
<&sforzando> Alright, no 247MHz for you.

Previous Custom Member Titles: Cross-Country Sticker King 2k10, Doing Out the Girls, Outdoing the Girls, Lenny Laser-Tits, King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits (current).

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2009.10.25 (06:44)

The show bottomed out for a while in the early ... naughts, but it's taken a turn for the better (and for the bizarre, as Broghan said) lately. Peak season is probably 2, 6, or 9, from memory.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Cowboy Magician
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/wedgie123
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby wedgie » 2009.10.25 (18:10)

I have to say that some of the jokes from the new series do seem really tired and almost cringe-worthy as they are really scraping the barrel for ideas now. So a lot of the jokes are predictable and unfunny. With that being said though, I do like how much more random it is getting. It's almost turning into family guy humour with parts just being completely 'wtf?'
It's a tall order for such a long running show to keep being funny, so I think they are doing well considering.

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/EdoI
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby EdoI » 2009.10.28 (14:16)

Ahaha, my favorite TV show after Star Trek!
I'm currently at season 17, and, although the quality does go downside a lot in comparison with the earlies, it still has some good episodes. For example, The Monkey Suit.
Also, I recently got SciFi Channel on my TV, and there's Futurama on it. I didn't watch it, although I probably will when I find some time.
I think MG should dedicate to one of these shows. The Simpsons' quality is suffering more than Futurama (it's how I heard), and Futurama is newer, so canceling TS would be logical.

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.10.28 (15:14)

EdoI wrote:Ahaha, my favorite TV show after Star Trek!
I'm currently at season 17, and, although the quality does go downside a lot in comparison with the earlies, it still has some good episodes. For example, The Monkey Suit.
Also, I recently got SciFi Channel on my TV, and there's Futurama on it. I didn't watch it, although I probably will when I find some time.
I think MG should dedicate to one of these shows. The Simpsons' quality is suffering more than Futurama (it's how I heard), and Futurama is newer, so canceling TS would be logical.
I'm not sure you understand the Matt Groening Situation.

Since MG created The Simpsons, he has been credited with writing (or co-writing) four scripts in the entire run of the 20 Season series. He's never been a head writer, and it's my understanding that, while he occasionally popped in to the writing room back in the day, he's virtually uninvolved. (A noted exception being the mediocre to good film, which he was also credited with writing.)

On Futurama, Matt Groening has been credited with co-writing just one episode; Space Pilot 3000. The show has been run and executed by David X. Cohen (who, incidentally, also cowrote the first episode.) Matt Groening's involvement in this case was, as I understand it, much more realistic. He has been involved in every writing room for every episode in this show, but it would seem, from the various commentary tracks, that the degree of his involvement is up for debate.

Now, that being said, he makes plenty of appearances, helps to teach people drawing and cartooning, and he is involved in every commentary track for the DVD releases of The Simpsons and Futurama, so it's not like he's slacking. But certainly it is not the pull between the two that shows both marked decline in quality. Futurama has gone downhill because it can not deal with the film format, and I look forward to seeing this change during the next episodic season. The Simpsons "decline" matches up with changes in showrunners and writing staff. It's obvious that Oakley and Weinstein emphasized making the show more obscure and absurd; Mike Scully pressed these limits even further, sometimes forgetting about the heart of the show, and then finally, Al Jean came in and, despite his cred as an earlier show runner, could do little with the new writing staff that was young enough to be fans of the seasons he had worked on. I think that the fact that it has improved recently probably has to do with some of the writing staff brought on by Scully quitting, and we're getting different people in the mix.
Loathes

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.28 (20:24)

I have never kept track of the season or episode number for any given episode I watch, but I've seen countless. Still, the newer episodes always stand out from the previous, and I think this is a trend that just about any cartoon would be very hard-pressed to avoid.
The difference is sharper in a show with more casual production (i.e. less professional) like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. If you've seen the later seasons and then jump back to season 1, it's very obvious that the voice actors and the animators are still trying to get a feel for their characters. I think a good way to minimize this (time permitting, of course) would be to animate and record the first season and maybe even start in on the second season to get the actors and animators broken in, and then go back and re-record / animate the first half.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Wizard Dentist
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/SkyPanda

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.11.09 (01:49)

Tsukatu wrote:If you've seen the later seasons and then jump back to season 1, it's very obvious that the voice actors and the animators are still trying to get a feel for their characters. I think a good way to minimize this (time permitting, of course) would be to animate and record the first season and maybe even start in on the second season to get the actors and animators broken in, and then go back and re-record / animate the first half.
That's a really fantastic idea, you see this effect with a lot of artists/creators.

The number of Electoral College votes needed to be President of the US.

Postby Aldaric » 2009.11.19 (02:19)

I like the newer animations better. The old ones bother me a little. Also, all of the Halloween specials are great.

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Zephyr » 2009.12.02 (10:26)

I wish I had Foxtel so I could watch that shit non-stop 24/7.
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Vampire Salesman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/TheEverPresent

Postby TheEverPresent » 2010.01.12 (03:40)

I definately enjoy the new animations and the fact that the voices are more defined (as opposed to the early seasons)
I agree that the plots have changed, but I'm really indiffrent to the question of if they are better or worse.
Add me on PSN! (steakloft)
Check out my image thread!
Collab me! PM me on the forums or talk to me on the IRC. Ask and I'll most likely accept.
Userbars

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.01.13 (19:04)

Oh, anybody who prefers the new animation to the animation from season four to the fucking Tennis episode is dead to me.
Loathes

Vampire Salesman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/TheEverPresent

Postby TheEverPresent » 2010.01.14 (04:32)

Everything after season 3 is good, the first and second seasons where everything is the wrong color gets to me though.
Add me on PSN! (steakloft)
Check out my image thread!
Collab me! PM me on the forums or talk to me on the IRC. Ask and I'll most likely accept.
Userbars

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2010.01.14 (21:17)

The animation is certainly better in newer episodes. In terms of writing I feel there has been a decline, which is really what counts in a comedy show.

On another note, the age of the simpsons is questionable. For example the simpsons are celebrating their 20th year of being on TV. This would mean bart is around 30, lisa late 20s and maggie early 20s. Homer and marge are 60ish. Abe 90ish (100?). Santa's little helper must be some sort of demigod.

Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby a happy song » 2010.01.14 (21:52)

Seems that The Simpsons has started to emulate the sketch-show format of Family Guy. I've only seen a few episodes from the newest season, but they lack the narrative and charm of the earlier episodes and stand more as a collection of moment to moment gags.

Has the animation changed lately? I didn't notice...
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2010.01.14 (22:46)

Aphex wrote: Santa's little helper must be some sort of demigod.
Ignoring the preposterousness of the rest of your post, I'm pretty sure SLH died at some point and came back, which would, indeed, make him godlike. Like, Gandalf godlike. Big time.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Queen of All Spiders

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.01.15 (06:11)

Did people see the Eternal Moonshine episode? It was pretty great!
Loathes

Average Time to Take Breakfast in Equador
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rocket_thumped
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby rocket_thumped » 2010.01.31 (19:52)

If you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right.

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Orion_

Postby Broghan » 2010.02.02 (00:30)

rocket_thumped wrote:I prefer Simpsons Lite.
<3

That aside, I saw one of the newer episodes (who know which season it was from... Australian T.V and all) and there were many sad moments where I saw a joke, and it was clearly a joke, but it was not funny in any sense, it was either stupid, in bad taste, or, the most poignant, cheap. I was really irritated.