"missing" features in V2.0?

Talk about the latest flash version of the ninja game here!

Moderator: Oleary15

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.02 (21:50)

Hello everyone

I'm a new user here, having some questions about N v2.0, haven't had any time to take a look at this forum and it's really late here(I know, best time to write :D ), so please excuse me if this was already asked before:

After finally finding N game again, only having it remembered from my childhood Flash Game days, I found v2 some years ago and decided to get it, however I noticed the following:
  • Was the level order changed? I remember 1.4 having some fun levels which aren't there anymore(either that or way later in the game)
    What happened to the nice help menu? Liked the preview of enemies and objects.
    Practice Mode seems to be completely gone? I only found out about this mode recently, however after checking the settings I realized that N v2.0 doesn't have them?
Is 2.0 basically a different game(I know it runs under a new engine), because from the updates page it sounds like it's just a update and not a "game change" which splits N into two different games? If that's the case, is 1.4 available online(on official sites and not game websites running the old version)?

I'd like to play the most up to date version while not missing anything out from the old N, thanks for the fast answers and reading this.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/XandoToaster
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/XandoToaster

Postby XandoToaster » 2016.02.02 (23:38)

v2 is effectively a new game.

You can still find a download link for 1.4 somewhere on this page (I'm sure there's a better place to get it, but this is the only official page I know of), or you can download nreality from here. The 1.4 community does still exist, so you wouldn't be alone in playing that. There are people who still map regularly, which you could find here.

That said, v2 is also a fun game. It isn't 1.4, and a lot of older players are so used to 1.4 that they don't like v2. However, v2 also has an active community and a totally different set of quirks that make players love it. It's really just a question of which you prefer. I would recommend playing v2 for a while, and if the differences make you really uncomfortable, then no one will blame you for going back to 1.4.
Today is just a really good day, ya know?

2nd place in Npoints Season 3

Nv2 Column Run King

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.03 (20:09)

XandoToaster wrote:v2 is effectively a new game.

You can still find a download link for 1.4 somewhere on this page (I'm sure there's a better place to get it, but this is the only official page I know of), or you can download nreality from here. The 1.4 community does still exist, so you wouldn't be alone in playing that. There are people who still map regularly, which you could find here.

That said, v2 is also a fun game. It isn't 1.4, and a lot of older players are so used to 1.4 that they don't like v2. However, v2 also has an active community and a totally different set of quirks that make players love it. It's really just a question of which you prefer. I would recommend playing v2 for a while, and if the differences make you really uncomfortable, then no one will blame you for going back to 1.4.
Hey, thanks for the fast reply.
I knew that v2 was basically it's own new game because it's completely coded from ground up again.
Yes, 1.4 can be downloaded from the history(I got it from there some time ago), but I was wondering if there's a easy to link web version somewhere, like to show other people and all.

In my quick time of the forums I saw that there's a seperate section for 1.4 which made me think that the community was split into different parts, however this leaves me with different questions:

Why were the mentioned features(certain levels/level order/practice mode/help preview) not added to N v2?
I can somewhat understand some of the decisions and possible reasons, but I'd still like to know the official answer for this.

Why is v2 treated like an update instead of being a different game(instead of having Nv1 and Nv2)/why is v1.4 not available online?
Is there any reason why metanet doesn't want that version visible?
I wouldn't mind if there was Nv1(1.4) and Nv2, but the way it currently is really makes it feel like Nv1.4 is a branch of an older version that will just be stuck there and overwritten by v2 over time...

What differences does v2 exactly have?
The wiki seems to be based on the old N for the most part, and because of the thing mentioned above it's really hard to find any big info about it(the game title being only "N" doesn't help too much with that :P)

What happens to v1.4's online content and level editors?
I think 1.4 had accounts as well as highscore lists, are those still available or do those break once you login with that account in Nv2? Are the online servers going to be available forever or will they be closed down one day because of Nv2?

I hope this sudden wall of questions isn't too annoying to answer, while I really wouldn't want to just ask "why this why that", it's just the easiest way for me to write it down.
As for version 2, the main thing I dislike is how some levels are just gone, for example 0-0:
While it may have been boring for some players I found it to be a nice starting level.
Not wanting to offend someone(will try to say it as nice as possible) but most of the new maps feel like they were more specifically made to screw up the player, leading to more precise or annoying jumps which really drags the fun down for me(don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of patience and know that v1.4 probably has even more precise stuff), 1.4's levels just felt more fun and legit challenging to me.

I did play v2 for a bit longer today and got nice progress, but I expect to probably switch down to v1.4 some day again. What's nreality exactly? I tried to check the about page which links to the forums, but that server doesn't seem to be online anymore.

Well anyways, thanks for reading this and it's nice to see that a community of this rather old flash game is still active, thought I'd walk into a dead forum(if there was even one) here but saw some messages that were done just a day ago :).

Damn You're Fine
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/shomman
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby shomman » 2016.02.04 (02:18)

r543 wrote: Hey, thanks for the fast reply.
I knew that v2 was basically it's own new game because it's completely coded from ground up again.
Yes, 1.4 can be downloaded from the history(I got it from there some time ago), but I was wondering if there's a easy to link web version somewhere, like to show other people and all.
There is no full web version, as far as I'm aware. You can get older versions hosted online, I think, but I don't know where.
r543 wrote: In my quick time of the forums I saw that there's a seperate section for 1.4 which made me think that the community was split into different parts, however this leaves me with different questions:
For a while, this was very true, however in recent times they've begun to come together more. However there is still an active, separate forum for Nv2 only, whereas this forum is for both.
r543 wrote: Why were the mentioned features(certain levels/level order/practice mode/help preview) not added to N v2?
I can somewhat understand some of the decisions and possible reasons, but I'd still like to know the official answer for this.
Metanet (the game's creators) seemed to go in a different direction in the creation of Nv2. I suppose that N1 was their testing ground, and they added features as they went on. Nv2 was made many years later, and so Metanet probably had a different idea of what they wanted to do. As for certain levels, by far, the majority of Nv2 Levels are not in 1.4.
The levels in Nv2 have a very different feel to the 1.4 ones, and are usually more polished, especially for aesthetics, but not for highscoring. Metanet made different levels for it, because it is a different game.
r543 wrote: Why is v2 treated like an update instead of being a different game(instead of having Nv1 and Nv2)/why is v1.4 not available online?
Is there any reason why metanet doesn't want that version visible?
I wouldn't mind if there was Nv1(1.4) and Nv2, but the way it currently is really makes it feel like Nv1.4 is a branch of an older version that will just be stuck there and overwritten by v2 over time...
Nv2 isn't treated like an update, it's a different game. I don't know why 1.4 isn't available online, I know i've seen an older version of N1 online, maybe 1.3c or something like that.
I think that Metanet wanted V2 to replace 1.4, but the 1.4 community had existed for a long time, and had grown used to the way everything is set up for 1.4, which are, in a lot of cases, better. A notable difference is the physics. Because of the update to the engine, the physics in v2 are sort of more brutal, or less allowing. There are no high corner jumps, thwumps kill you on tiles almost all the time, etc. The greatest thing about v2 physics, I think, is you don't stutter when going up platforms.
r543 wrote: What differences does v2 exactly have?
The wiki seems to be based on the old N for the most part, and because of the thing mentioned above it's really hard to find any big info about it(the game title being only "N" doesn't help too much with that :P)
About the wiki: nv2.wikia.com is the Nv2 wiki. The main differences are:
- Changed editor, easier to use (I think)
- New levels, as you mentioned
- Different Physics
- In-built level sharing. I think this is overall, a bad thing. It leads to a ton of spam and crappy/ no effort maps.
- Top 10 boards, instead of Top 20
- Inbuilt level voting
- Inbuilt level favouriting
r543 wrote: What happens to v1.4's online content and level editors?
I think 1.4 had accounts as well as highscore lists, are those still available or do those break once you login with that account in Nv2? Are the online servers going to be available forever or will they be closed down one day because of Nv2?
The online content is still there, maps are up at http://www.nmaps.net and in Nreality (the modded version of 1.4) there is a built in editor. The highscores are still there, you can see them under "Highscores" Menu. The online servers are hosted by Sidke, an N player, not Metanet. So as long as he can host it, they are still there. Metanet can't close those.
Nothing breaks, and you can't log in with your account into Nv2.
r543 wrote: I hope this sudden wall of questions isn't too annoying to answer, while I really wouldn't want to just ask "why this why that", it's just the easiest way for me to write it down.
As for version 2, the main thing I dislike is how some levels are just gone, for example 0-0:
While it may have been boring for some players I found it to be a nice starting level.
Not wanting to offend someone(will try to say it as nice as possible) but most of the new maps feel like they were more specifically made to screw up the player, leading to more precise or annoying jumps which really drags the fun down for me(don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of patience and know that v1.4 probably has even more precise stuff), 1.4's levels just felt more fun and legit challenging to me.
Fair enough, everyone likes different things. A common complaint about v2's levels are that there are too many drones.
r543 wrote: I did play v2 for a bit longer today and got nice progress, but I expect to probably switch down to v1.4 some day again. What's nreality exactly? I tried to check the about page which links to the forums, but that server doesn't seem to be online anymore.
Nreality is a modded (and far better) version of 1.4. I don't know the precise differences, but this are the changes and differences I know of:
- Speedrun mode
- Nreality boards (no hackers or cheaters on these boards)
- In built editor
- NUMA integration
- 500 New levels, called the Legacy Pack
r543 wrote: Well anyways, thanks for reading this and it's nice to see that a community of this rather old flash game is still active, thought I'd walk into a dead forum(if there was even one) here but saw some messages that were done just a day ago :).
Yeah, it's still going. New people come now and then, like you.. Fresh blood
Hopefully that answers all your questions. Feel free to ask anymore, and I'll answer as best I can.

Two time Npoints Winner - Npoints Season 2 Npoints Season 3
Stats

82 0ths (4th)
412 Top 10's (3rd)
360 Top 5's (1st)
3086 Points (2nd)
2.5 Average Rank (3rd)
1 Episode Ownage b5 :):(

Other Stuff

Image Thanks Nyan!

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.04 (18:46)

shomman wrote:There is no full web version, as far as I'm aware. You can get older versions hosted online, I think, but I don't know where.
Hey thanks for the reply, nice to see more 1.4 fans around :D.
As for the web versions, I only remember 1.3c that I originally played on a online game website, the name it had there was "N game", never would've thought that googling that would find the actual game(a lot of those game platforms use custom made names or host older versions which never get updated, so I expected 1.4 somewhere online). Was the game available as downloadable game back then(was that the main way of playing it) or were online versions common too?

With how it currently is, it kinda feels like Metanet tries to deny the existence of 1.4 and 1.4 being a different thing than 2.0(it looks like that from the changelog and there's barely any info).
For a while, this was very true, however in recent times they've begun to come together more. However there is still an active, separate forum for Nv2 only, whereas this forum is for both.
Noticed a bit of that while going through some forum topics, why did V2 split in the first place? I guess this was the main forum for v1.4 and v2 after launch?
Metanet (the game's creators) seemed to go in a different direction in the creation of Nv2. I suppose that N1 was their testing ground, and they added features as they went on. Nv2 was made many years later, and so Metanet probably had a different idea of what they wanted to do. As for certain levels, by far, the majority of Nv2 Levels are not in 1.4.
Kinda sad, no idea why the cut of the late added practice mode(which made it possible for everyone to see every level) or certain things like the help menu got such a big downgrade, same about the levels.
The levels in Nv2 have a very different feel to the 1.4 ones, and are usually more polished, especially for aesthetics, but not for highscoring. Metanet made different levels for it, because it is a different game.
Yeah, not that sure about the polished part, don't think that levels need to have good looking "design" in such a simple game, not saying anything against it but I prefer functionality over look.
Nv2 isn't treated like an update, it's a different game. I don't know why 1.4 isn't available online, I know i've seen an older version of N1 online, maybe 1.3c or something like that.
I think that Metanet wanted V2 to replace 1.4, but the 1.4 community had existed for a long time, and had grown used to the way everything is set up for 1.4, which are, in a lot of cases, better. A notable difference is the physics. Because of the update to the engine, the physics in v2 are sort of more brutal, or less allowing. There are no high corner jumps, thwumps kill you on tiles almost all the time, etc. The greatest thing about v2 physics, I think, is you don't stutter when going up platforms.
Did earlier versions(1.0) have levels that were replaced over time or not? While I don't have much knowlege about that, I do think that wasn't the case, which makes me wonder why V2 gets displayed as an update in the history section/why both games aren't split up into Nv1 and Nv2, really odd of them to try to replace it.

I do think I remember high corner jumps, but can you maybe explain them again? has been such a long time and I probably wouldn't remember how to exactly do them. Thwumps on tiles? guess you mean on slopes or non flat tiles? I remember the stuttering on the white blocks, but it wasn't really an issue for me.
About the wiki: nv2.wikia.com is the Nv2 wiki. The main differences are:
- Changed editor, easier to use (I think)
- New levels, as you mentioned
- Different Physics
- In-built level sharing. I think this is overall, a bad thing. It leads to a ton of spam and crappy/ no effort maps.
- Top 10 boards, instead of Top 20
- Inbuilt level voting
- Inbuilt level favouriting
Oh nice there's a wiki too, while doing a quick google search I only found the first wiki and since that was just called "n wiki" I thought it was for all versions.
Level sharing can be nice, even if it leads to some bad stuff like that, still don't think that it was really needed, so I'm not disagreeing with you.
The online content is still there, maps are up at http://www.nmaps.net and in Nreality (the modded version of 1.4) there is a built in editor. The highscores are still there, you can see them under "Highscores" Menu. The online servers are hosted by Sidke, an N player, not Metanet. So as long as he can host it, they are still there. Metanet can't close those.
Nothing breaks, and you can't log in with your account into Nv2.
I guess you mean the online servers for nreality, right? or did the original N first have someone else host it before Metanet got big? Anyways, nice to know that this version won't be closed down.
Fair enough, everyone likes different things. A common complaint about v2's levels are that there are too many drones.
Drones as in only the "eyes" or most enemies in general? I'm noticing that lasers and missile launchers appear a lot ealier than in 1.4 leading to some annoying parts. While I'm not much of a fan of the missile launchers, I do think they add some spice to the level if used right, however in 2.0 they are just big annoyances "oops you messed up/the rocket followed you into the minefield, good luck dodging that". I think so far almost every episode from v2 had at least one level which I wouldn't want to replay.
Nreality is a modded (and far better) version of 1.4. I don't know the precise differences, but this are the changes and differences I know of:
- Speedrun mode
- Nreality boards (no hackers or cheaters on these boards)
- In built editor
- NUMA integration
- 500 New levels, called the Legacy Pack
So that's what it is, nice. NUMA online maps and built in level editor(so you can live test)? So this basically adds some of the better v2 features, sweet.
Yeah, it's still going. New people come now and then, like you.. Fresh blood
Hopefully that answers all your questions. Feel free to ask anymore, and I'll answer as best I can.
Hey, I remember playing this game as a kid a long time ago, more than 10 years ago by now, and about a year or so ago, I searched for N, didn't find much other than the rather small site(gotta say the forum link is rather well hidden almost inside one button) and the fact that there's going to be a paid version.
That and the fact how v2 changed made me kinda sad(don't get me wrong, I totally understand if developers do paid versions and stuff like cavestory+, creating hd game remakes or new games basing on the original thing), but it was nice to find out about v1.4 later, and now(after working with someone on a game) remembering N and finding this forum.

Damn You're Fine

Postby shomman » 2016.02.04 (21:13)

r543 wrote: Was the game available as downloadable game back then(was that the main way of playing it) or were online versions common too?
I don't know, sorry. I didn't play N when I was younger.
r543 wrote: With how it currently is, it kinda feels like Metanet tries to deny the existence of 1.4 and 1.4 being a different thing than 2.0(it looks like that from the changelog and there's barely any info).
Well, Metanet last updated 1.4 11 years ago. They've moved on and made 3 versions of N since then. They don't update Nv2 or 1.4. Also, they are just a tiny company of two people, who hire outside help. Maybe they just didn't bother with the changelog
r543 wrote: Noticed a bit of that while going through some forum topics, why did V2 split in the first place? I guess this was the main forum for v1.4 and v2 after launch?
I don't really know why, but I recall the creator of the other forum saying that there was no activity here, so they made another forum. I don't really understand that logic, because in both cases he would have had to build up activity anyway, but whatever.
r543 wrote: Yeah, not that sure about the polished part, don't think that levels need to have good looking "design" in such a simple game, not saying anything against it but I prefer functionality over look.
Fair enough. It's all subjective. Obviously Metanet preferred that aesthetic, when they made v2.
r543 wrote: Did earlier versions(1.0) have levels that were replaced over time or not? While I don't have much knowlege about that, I do think that wasn't the case, which makes me wonder why V2 gets displayed as an update in the history section/why both games aren't split up into Nv1 and Nv2, really odd of them to try to replace it.
I don't think any levels were replaced from the old versions. I think Metanet intended for v2 to be a 1.4 replacement, but it's really different, and a lot of people prefer 1.4/ Nreality
r543 wrote:I do think I remember high corner jumps, but can you maybe explain them again? has been such a long time and I probably wouldn't remember how to exactly do them. Thwumps on tiles? guess you mean on slopes or non flat tiles? I remember the stuttering on the white blocks, but it wasn't really an issue for me.
In 1.4, you can "go in" to tiles, and then get extra momentum by coming out of them. The changing to Action Script 3, instead of 1, removed this possibility, so no extra momentum is possible. Thwumps are the things with blue on one side, that smash you. In 1.4 you can get pushed out of gaps where you are on top, or behind them etc. In Nv2 you just die straight away.
r543 wrote:I guess you mean the online servers for nreality, right? or did the original N first have someone else host it before Metanet got big? Anyways, nice to know that this version won't be closed down.
No that website is for maps. Also, Metanet didn't really ever get big. The Nreality servers host highscores and stuff
r543 wrote:Drones as in only the "eyes" or most enemies in general? I'm noticing that lasers and missile launchers appear a lot ealier than in 1.4 leading to some annoying parts. While I'm not much of a fan of the missile launchers, I do think they add some spice to the level if used right, however in 2.0 they are just big annoyances "oops you messed up/the rocket followed you into the minefield, good luck dodging that". I think so far almost every episode from v2 had at least one level which I wouldn't want to replay.
Yeah drones as in the blue guys with eyes. I think Metanet's main focus in Nv2, was making a challenging campaign, but NOT highscoring. They don't seem to have considered highscoreability when making levels.
r543 wrote:So that's what it is, nice. NUMA online maps and built in level editor(so you can live test)? So this basically adds some of the better v2 features, sweet.
Yep, it's a much better version of 1.4
r543 wrote: paid version
N+ was released a few years ago, for Nintendo DS and XBox Live Arcade. It did OK.
In September last year, N++ was released for PS4. Metanet are going to port it to PC, but who knows when.

Stats

82 0ths (4th)
412 Top 10's (3rd)
360 Top 5's (1st)
3086 Points (2nd)
2.5 Average Rank (3rd)

Other Stuff

Image Thanks Nyan!

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Losttortuga

Postby Losttortuga » 2016.02.05 (03:30)

a few things:

Nreality, in addition to having NUMA integration and extra levels, also has new enemies and the option to drastically alter the way objects and the game's physics work, among other things. You can check out all the wacky stuff people have done with nreality on NUMA

You can easily edit and playtest levels in v1.4

Corner jumps are awesome and are possible because tiles are slightly squishy in v1.4; if you jump directly into a corner of a tile and jump exactly when you hit it you get boosted much higher than you can normally jump

Metanet said somewhere that v2 is n as it was supposed to be originally, which I guess means free of bugs and quirks, but really they just opened up a whole new can of worms

The v2 folks decided they needed to make a new forum because they're a bunch of 13 year olds. I used to be one of those but then I played this game for, like, 10 years. The forum you see now is merely a shred of its former glory, its golden age was roughly the period from 2006 to 2011

Damn You're Fine

Postby shomman » 2016.02.05 (11:44)

We aren't all a bunch of 13 year olds :)

Stats

82 0ths (4th)
412 Top 10's (3rd)
360 Top 5's (1st)
3086 Points (2nd)
2.5 Average Rank (3rd)

Other Stuff

Image Thanks Nyan!

If you ain't first, you're last!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/EddyMataGallos

Postby EddyMataGallos » 2016.02.05 (14:30)

Hey man, the 1.4 community is completely alive, both mapping and highscoring, albeit there's very little activity, nice to see you coming here. Apparently the main NReality feature wasn't mentioned, it is cheatproof, it helped solidify the trust among highscorers in 2007 when a ton of cheaters were being discovered. Since 2007 there've been no new cheaters due to us not trusting non-NReality players :P

And yeah 2.0 is more of a "new" game rather than an update of 1.4, that's why it has different physics and different levels, and that's why it's spawned two communities, which I'm not a fan of but there's nothing I can do. On a different note, I think the version you used to play should be 1.2, which is the flash version that leaked through flash game websites.

Feel free to start highscoring with NReality.
ImageImage
Impressive flag by ska -|- N2High - My software for N2.0 -|- Awesome sig by Hendor
About me & Stats (Spoiler)

Hi, im Eddy, a Spanish highscorer and current Grandmaster of N. I've been playing N since 2006, I beat it on the 8th September 2008, and NReality later too. Started intermittently highscoring Metanet in 2010, although serious highscoring started in late 2011.

Current Stats
• Completed N on 8th Sept. 2008
• Completed NReality on 24th Dec. 2010
0th Place on Metanet 0th Rankings with 443 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Top20 Rankings with 599 Scores.
0th Place on Metanet Top10 Rankings with 599 Scores.
1st Place on Metanet Top5 Rankings with 595 Scores.
0th Place on Metanet Level 0th Rankings with 361 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Episode 0th Rankings with 82 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Total Level Score: 72142.900 (20:02:22.900)
0th Place on Metanet Total Episode Score: 35669.900 (09:54:29.900)
0th Place on Metanet Total Point Rankings with 11669 Points.
0th Place in NReality 0th Rankings with 235 0ths.
0th Place for a grand total of 676 Total 0ths.
• Winner of some contests (BUST, 100, 9000, Bounty Hunters, SOAST) and of some rounds of some contests (ROPP, NErratic, Red Ball, NReality Team Arena)

{Info as of 01/Feb/2015} The info may be outdated.

Achievements
• 6th highscorer to reach 100 Metanet 0ths
• 4th highscorer to reach 200 Metanet 0ths
• 1st and only highscorer to reach 300 Metanet 0ths
• 1st and only highscorer to reach 400 Metanet 0ths
• 8th ever Grandmaster
• 2nd* highscorer to reach 599 top-20 Scores
• 1st highscorer to reach 599 top-10 Scores
• 10th highscorer to reach 70k Level Score
• 5th highscorer to reach 71k Level Score
• 2nd highscorer to reach 71.5k Level Score
• 1st highscorer to reach 72k Level Score

Relevant Dates
• First 0th: 31-3 on 04/Oct/10
• Reached 100 Metanet 0ths on 25/Feb/12
• Reached 200 Metanet 0ths on 30/Sep/12
• Reached 300 Metanet 0ths on 16/Mar/13
• Reached 400 Metanet 0ths on 04/Sept/14
• Reached highest amount of 0ths on Jan/2013
• Became the Grandmaster on 12/Apr/2012
• Reached 70k Level Score on 25/Dec/11
• Reached 71k Level Score on 13/Jan/11
• Reached 71.5k Level Score on 01/Aug/12
• Reached 72k Level Score on 04/Jul/14
• Completed N 1.4 on 08/Sept/08
• Completed NReality on 24/Dec/10
• Reached 100 NReality 0ths on Oct/2011
• Reached 200 NReality 0ths on Nov/2011
• Reached 100 Top-20 Scores on Aug/10
• Reached 200 Top-20 Scores on Nov/11
• Reached 300 Top-20 Scores on Nov/11
• Reached 400 Top-20 Scores on Dec/11
• Reached 500 Top-20 Scores on Jan/12
• Reached 599 Top-20 Scores on 04/Apr/12
• Reached 599 Top-10 Scores on 18/Nov/12

Deds & Images (Spoiler)

Thanks to ska for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to BluePretzel for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to da_guru for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this full episode to me!: 00-0 00-100-2 00-3 00-4
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this mappack to me
Thanks to zoasBE for partially dedicating this map to me
Thanks to VODKALOVER for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to runningninja for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to trance for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to llabesab for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to the23 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Traveleravi for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to 123leonidas321 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Uniden for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Ors_II for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Sunset for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to blue_rocks for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Leonhard for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Daggafork for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Armaghan_Ali for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to RandomDigits/SpartaX18 for dedicating this map to me
Sorry if Im missing any ded.

ImageThanks to leo.

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Losttortuga

Postby Losttortuga » 2016.02.05 (23:59)

shomman wrote:We aren't all a bunch of 13 year olds :)
I know, I was just making a jest. But most of them are ;^D

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.07 (00:42)

Hey guys thanks for all your replies, didn't really think that I'd get answers to so many things or for this to turn into some kind of introduction topic.
I did play v1.4 yesterday when it was late, obviously I was tired so I didn't give levels that needed to be very precise or a lot of patience much tries, but overall I enjoyed 1.4 SO MUCH MORE, so many fun episodes and even if they are difficult at times they still feel more fair and challenging than 2.0.

While playing I did notice a few things:
One Thwump(in a slide level, v1.4 players probably remember the name) seems to have rendnering problems, basically half of it is cutoff and moved downwards by a pixel, imagine it like this:

Correct Thwump
---------
|......|
|......|
---------
GlitchedThwump
-----___
|.......|
|.......|
-----___
Not sure if this is V1 or something with my graphics card, but it doesn't seem to happen on other levels, just that one.

Another thing I noticed is that the Ninja doesn't move with Horizontal moving Thwumps? kinda odd oversight.
The white blocks can be noclipped through when falling at fast speed, they will slam down until a point where it just snaps and you break through them.
Again with the white blocks, I don't seem to notice the stuttering effect but what I noticed is that a lot of the time I just can't jump off of them or when jumping right as they get upwards I'll just get a short hop instead of the high jump.

Not related to the gameplay, but I've found myself in a lot of situations where I wanted to jump, then hit something and died, because I pressed jump it would instantly skip the death animation leading to the "press space to start" one(also happens with exit doors), guess v2.0 fixed this by adding some kind of spacebar delay after dying.

I did also give Nreality a try, looks like it fully supports the v1.4 save which is nice, but what happens if a save with nreality stuff gets loaded in v1.4? I guess it will still work, but just checking.

What bothers me is that the ms/f counter(what's that even used for, something like frames per second?) is constantly changing, a bit distracting, also wish there was a way to disable the mode display on the left side, not really a big deal but just to have N exacthy the way it is in v1.4, also miss the randomized title screen, while it makes the game startup less hectic, getting fully surprised by sounds and all, I kinda miss having randomized levels be played on there.

Other than those(they're really minor things, not trying to sound like I'm too nitpicky about it), it's nice, guess the underclock mode is unlockable later on and somewhat needed for some of the later reality levels. Speaking about those, they're really there for veteran players, I get what you need to do and can somewhat pull the stuff off, however, currently not in the mood to spend so many tries on it. Don't get me wrong, while some of those are difficult, it's a different difficult than v2's levels, those are more for screwing over the player while reality's are really skillful.

I guess that I'll play v1.4 for now and later switch over to reality and do those levels, I did clear a few reality levels and it was defintiely fun to do so.
shomman wrote: In 1.4, you can "go in" to tiles, and then get extra momentum by coming out of them. The changing to Action Script 3, instead of 1, removed this possibility, so no extra momentum is possible. Thwumps are the things with blue on one side, that smash you. In 1.4 you can get pushed out of gaps where you are on top, or behind them etc. In Nv2 you just die straight away.
Alright, I did know what Thwumps are, just wanted to know if it had something to do with the slopes but while playing some 1.4 and reality levels I found out what you meant, getting pushed out sideways, really useful and very annoying that you get squashed in v2.
No that website is for maps. Also, Metanet didn't really ever get big. The Nreality servers host highscores and stuff
Just asked if the original N accounts were hosted somewhere else before Nv2 and the other paid games happened.
Yeah drones as in the blue guys with eyes. I think Metanet's main focus in Nv2, was making a challenging campaign, but NOT highscoring. They don't seem to have considered highscoreability when making levels.
I'm still new to highscoring, but as far as I know time also gets added to the total score, so highscoring would be to get as much gold and finish the levels as fast as possible? If that's the case then definitely, it's really fun how fast you can go in N1 avoiding all kinds of traps and enemies, but at the same time you can also be precise and more careful, v2 didn't really allow that.
N+ was released a few years ago, for Nintendo DS and XBox Live Arcade. It did OK.
In September last year, N++ was released for PS4. Metanet are going to port it to PC, but who knows when.
I see, heard about them but didn't know how well they did. Sadly I don't find them nearly as good as the original game, but they do add interesting gimmicks which could be used, let's just see how it turns out.
Losttortuga wrote: Nreality, in addition to having NUMA integration and extra levels, also has new enemies and the option to drastically alter the way objects and the game's physics work, among other things. You can check out all the wacky stuff people have done with nreality on NUMA
Is there any preview for those enemies and object properties? Checked the help menu but couldn't find anything, seems to be very interesting though.
Metanet said somewhere that v2 is n as it was supposed to be originally, which I guess means free of bugs and quirks, but really they just opened up a whole new can of worms
:/ So it's basically that they changed their view of how their game should be, kinda sad, guess back in the day they were just flash designers designing something to be fun, while later they wanted something different. It still surprises me though, why would they return after like 5 years? Guess it might have had something to do with the market of indie games.
EddyMataGallos wrote:Hey man, the 1.4 community is completely alive, both mapping and highscoring, albeit there's very little activity, nice to see you coming here. Apparently the main NReality feature wasn't mentioned, it is cheatproof, it helped solidify the trust among highscorers in 2007 when a ton of cheaters were being discovered. Since 2007 there've been no new cheaters due to us not trusting non-NReality players :P
I read about that, it's nice. Personally I don't mind cheaters or hackers if they do stuff like messing around with the game, but I wouldn't want to have them in highscore lists with 0:00 times or 999999 scores, that's definitely something I dislike and I'm surprised how little game devs do about this for the most case, having some kind of checkpoint system(doesn't work for N of course) and checking the clock, but it's good to have this here, will definitely try to do some highscores.

1.2 might be possible, why was that one exactly leaked? Also your profile picture just reminded me of that screen, didnt' that appear when you ran out of time? Guess it was removed later on because it was an awkward mechanic, as dying wouldn't be an issue and give you infinite tries, while running out of time would kick you out of the episode(unless the time wouldn't be set back to it's starting value upon death).

Does anyone know if any older versions are still available for download somewhere?

Damn You're Fine

Postby shomman » 2016.02.07 (01:24)

r543 wrote: One Thwump(in a slide level, v1.4 players probably remember the name) seems to have rendnering problems, basically half of it is cutoff and moved downwards by a pixel, imagine it like this:
I've not heard of this. Could you screenshot that? Sounds interesting.
r543 wrote: Another thing I noticed is that the Ninja doesn't move with Horizontal moving Thwumps? kinda odd oversight.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you mean that the thwump doesnt move the ninja when on top of it?
r543 wrote: The white blocks can be noclipped through when falling at fast speed, they will slam down until a point where it just snaps and you break through them.
Yep, that's part of having the older engine with its different physics.
r543 wrote: Again with the white blocks, I don't seem to notice the stuttering effect but what I noticed is that a lot of the time I just can't jump off of them or when jumping right as they get upwards I'll just get a short hop instead of the high jump.
This happens in both versions of the game - It's just about timing.
r543 wrote: Not related to the gameplay, but I've found myself in a lot of situations where I wanted to jump, then hit something and died, because I pressed jump it would instantly skip the death animation leading to the "press space to start" one(also happens with exit doors), guess v2.0 fixed this by adding some kind of spacebar delay after dying.
That's quite strange, I don't know that I've experienced that.
r543 wrote: I did also give Nreality a try, looks like it fully supports the v1.4 save which is nice, but what happens if a save with nreality stuff gets loaded in v1.4? I guess it will still work, but just checking.
I believe it will show your progress there, yeah. There isn't much reason to play 1.4 though, Nreality has all it does and more.
r543 wrote: What bothers me is that the ms/f counter(what's that even used for, something like frames per second?) is constantly changing, a bit distracting, also wish there was a way to disable the mode display on the left side, not really a big deal but just to have N exacthy the way it is in v1.4, also miss the randomized title screen, while it makes the game startup less hectic, getting fully surprised by sounds and all, I kinda miss having randomized levels be played on there.
ms/f is milliseconds per frame, I think. I'm afraid you can't disable it, yeah.
r543 wrote: Other than those(they're really minor things, not trying to sound like I'm too nitpicky about it), it's nice, guess the underclock mode is unlockable later on and somewhat needed for some of the later reality levels. Speaking about those, they're really there for veteran players, I get what you need to do and can somewhat pull the stuff off, however, currently not in the mood to spend so many tries on it. Don't get me wrong, while some of those are difficult, it's a different difficult than v2's levels, those are more for screwing over the player while reality's are really skillful.
Some of those levels are utterly ridiculous, yeah. Particularly in the 110, and 111 column. I don't like them whatsoever.
r543 wrote: Alright, I did know what Thwumps are, just wanted to know if it had something to do with the slopes but while playing some 1.4 and reality levels I found out what you meant, getting pushed out sideways, really useful and very annoying that you get squashed in v2.
Yeah. It's just a feature of the physics engine being old, and imperfect. It wasn't designed on purpose, much like the rest of the tricks you can do in 1.4
r543 wrote: Just asked if the original N accounts were hosted somewhere else before Nv2 and the other paid games happened.
Well, they probably were, but they didn't carry over to the other games.
r543 wrote: I'm still new to highscoring, but as far as I know time also gets added to the total score, so highscoring would be to get as much gold and finish the levels as fast as possible? If that's the case then definitely, it's really fun how fast you can go in N1 avoiding all kinds of traps and enemies, but at the same time you can also be precise and more careful, v2 didn't really allow that.
In 1.4, your score is your end time. Your end time counts down from 90 seconds, and is added to by the gold you collect, yeah. However, an individual gold is worth 2 seconds, so if it takes more than two seconds to get it, it's not worth it, and your score will be lower for getting it.
r543 wrote: I see, heard about them but didn't know how well they did. Sadly I don't find them nearly as good as the original game, but they do add interesting gimmicks which could be used, let's just see how it turns out.
Yeah, I played some n+ on an emulator and wasn't a fan. I haven't played n++ yet, did you like it?
r543 wrote: Is there any preview for those enemies and object properties? Checked the help menu but couldn't find anything, seems to be very interesting though.
They aren't used very often, but look at losttortuga's link and just browse some of the levels. I think that's the best way. I don't know of any guides that were written, and if they existed they may not have been transferred over to this forum from the old one.
r543 wrote: :/ So it's basically that they changed their view of how their game should be, kinda sad, guess back in the day they were just flash designers designing something to be fun, while later they wanted something different. It still surprises me though, why would they return after like 5 years? Guess it might have had something to do with the market of indie games.
I mean, they still produced a flash game for fun, for free on the internet. Of course they changed some things. They returned after 5 years to make n+, I think, then released Nv2 in 2013 or 2012, and now N++ in 2015. They took a break between 1.4 and n+, and tried to make some other games, which didn't go so well.
r543 wrote: I'm surprised how little game devs do about this for the most case,

Metanet, if I remember correctly, when they were developing the game, dealt with hackers and cheaters on the boards. It has been 11 years since the last iteration of 1.4 though, so I don't blame them for not still monitoring the boards, they moved on a long time ago.

Stats

82 0ths (4th)
412 Top 10's (3rd)
360 Top 5's (1st)
3086 Points (2nd)
2.5 Average Rank (3rd)

Other Stuff

Image Thanks Nyan!

Postby EddyMataGallos » 2016.02.07 (02:03)

r543 wrote:Another thing I noticed is that the Ninja doesn't move with Horizontal moving Thwumps? kinda odd oversight.
This also happens in all the other versions of N as far as I know, it's the way it's supposed to work
r543 wrote:The white blocks can be noclipped through when falling at fast speed, they will slam down until a point where it just snaps and you break through them.
This is normal as well, not sure if it was intentional or not but yeah. It can come in handy in several ocassions, we call it "falling through bounceblocks".
r543 wrote:Again with the white blocks, I don't seem to notice the stuttering effect but what I noticed is that a lot of the time I just can't jump off of them or when jumping right as they get upwards I'll just get a short hop instead of the high jump.
You'll get used to this, this happens because you jump when the bounceblock is still going down, because after you leave the bounceblock, it starts going up again faster than you're actually going up after your jump, so it catches up to you and hits you, hence removing all the vertical momentum you had, that is, your jump stops and it's just as if you released the jump key, so it looks like a hop. This happens because in N you keep gaining momentum while you keep the jump key pressed unless you hit something, in which case you lose it all and there's no way to gain it back, the jump has finished.

This is the basis for the double bounceblock jump (well, and the triple and quadruple), I assume you have seen and/or performed them before, but if you haven't I highly suggest you take a look at, for example, 10-2 scores, you'll see tons of bb double jumps being performed there. It's probably among the easiest and most useful tricks in the game, very versatile when mastered.

So the idea is that you indeed jump when the bb is still going down, and when it hits you back, instead of letting it steal your momentum, you hit jump again, this way the momentum gets added up with the power of a new jump. I suggest you practise with it because timing is esential, and by mastering when to jump and how fast to do the two jumps (not too fast, by the way) you'll be able to do practically anything with bounceblock, and you'll learn how to adjust the angle and the height you can reach.

With a good bb double jump you can reach very impressive height, for example, in 10-2, with a double jump from a bounce block of the first row I can reach the gold at the top:

They are easy to master, unlike triple jumps which have very precise timing, and quadruple jumps, which are just plain absurd not because of the timing but because you need very fast taps. More than 4 jumps is impossible. You can perform multiple jumps on the sides of bb's as well, with doubles AND triples being easy to master, and again quads being tough because of the speed required.
r543 wrote:Not related to the gameplay, but I've found myself in a lot of situations where I wanted to jump, then hit something and died, because I pressed jump it would instantly skip the death animation leading to the "press space to start" one(also happens with exit doors), guess v2.0 fixed this by adding some kind of spacebar delay after dying.
Do you jump with the spacebar? That's weird, but you can change it to avoid having that happening, change it to the shift key for example, or to avoid the stickykeys, to any letter, like Z (although you can easily disable stickykeys and use the shift key). In 2.0 the problem does happen as far as I remember, because the jump key acts as the spacebar key, unlike here in which you can actually have them located in different keys (shift and space, usually).
r543 wrote:I did also give Nreality a try, looks like it fully supports the v1.4 save which is nice, but what happens if a save with nreality stuff gets loaded in v1.4? I guess it will still work, but just checking.
Absolutely, you can swap between versions without any problem, however I'd highly suggest you to stay with NReality, it has no disadvantages because it is essentially a mod that extends the original N v1.4, which means everything in 1.4 is still there and untouched in NReality, it behaves in the same way. But in Nreality you have the advantage of using a cheatproof game, you have extra playing modes, mainly speedrun mode in which the goal is to beat the levels as quick as possible rather than with the highest remaining time left, that is, speedrun mode ignores gold. You also have connection to NUMA, allowing you to play usermade levels within the actual game. You have new levels, the ability to mod the behaviour of the game, etc. Nowadays its primitive not to use NReality, mainly because of the cheatproof capability.
r543 wrote:Also miss the randomized title screen, while it makes the game startup less hectic, getting fully surprised by sounds and all, I kinda miss having randomized levels be played on there.
In NReality you have that, except instead of random levels in which the ninja dies, the game plays YOUR OWN runs, stored in your savefile.
However, there's something very important you ought to know: NReality requires you to be logged in to record and save any progress, as a security method. So if you don't create an account and log in, NReality wont save your progress, and hence you wont see your runs displayed on the title screen, instead you'll see it emtpy. If you're currently seeing it empty you might not be logged in, so your progress is not being saved, and that's why there're no runs there.
r543 wrote:Other than those(they're really minor things, not trying to sound like I'm too nitpicky about it), it's nice, guess the underclock mode is unlockable later on and somewhat needed for some of the later reality levels. Speaking about those, they're really there for veteran players, I get what you need to do and can somewhat pull the stuff off, however, currently not in the mood to spend so many tries on it. Don't get me wrong, while some of those are difficult, it's a different difficult than v2's levels, those are more for screwing over the player while reality's are really skillful.
Actually NReality levels are easier than the original Metanet levels, I'm assuming you thought that since the numbering goes up the difficulty increases but this is not the case, not even within the actual 100 first Metanet episodes. It tends to be the case within each column, but you've surely noticed that the start of each column tends to be fairly easy, like episode 90. In fact, column 80 is probably the hardest one, mainly due to it being made by users. The NReality episodes were just popular usermade packs that were included into the mod, but that's it, they're not meant to be harder or anything, and in fact most are probably easier.

That said, the first two extra columns (100 and 110) ARE hard, but that's because they come from the famous user pack of blue_tetris named "super hard columns", so yeah they are meant to be tough. The other 8 though (120 through 190), are just regular levels like the Metanet ones, they come from a 400 level pack named "Legacy - The Origins" made by a bunch of great mappers. These are easy column which you could easily take a shot just like with Metanet ones.

About the underclock mode, it is unlocked after beating the first 6 columns, because it's based on the overclock feature which IS present in v1.4, and you unlock that after finishing 6 columns. Underclock is a normal playing mode except it allows you to slow down the game, making is easier and more boring, but its suitable for testing out stuff you can't pull off realtime.
r543 wrote:I guess that I'll play v1.4 for now and later switch over to reality and do those levels, I did clear a few reality levels and it was defintiely fun to do so.
My recommendation is that you always play with NReality. I mainly play v1.4 levels (episodes 00 to 99) but still use NReality because it provides the functionality to submitting to the legit boards (the boards were everything is legit since it uses NReality cheatproof method: http://n.infunity.com/latest_lv_score.php), as well as all the other advantages. But the thing is, regardless which levels you want to play, you can use NReality, even if you're going to ignore the new levels, it doesn't make any difference.
r543 wrote:
Just asked if the original N accounts were hosted somewhere else before Nv2 and the other paid games happened.
The original N accounts are hosted in Metanet server, of course. NUMA is just connected to the server so it can use the same account, but it's independent and it can't modify the server, that is, you cant create accounts from NUMA, only from N. Nv2 accounts are different account also hosted in Metanet's server, they host everything, but it's not connected.
r543 wrote:
I'm still new to highscoring, but as far as I know time also gets added to the total score, so highscoring would be to get as much gold and finish the levels as fast as possible? If that's the case then definitely, it's really fun how fast you can go in N1 avoiding all kinds of traps and enemies, but at the same time you can also be precise and more careful, v2 didn't really allow that.
Correct, that highscoring. Essentially the idea is the finish with as much remaining time as possible, this implies going as fast as you can, and also taking into account that each piece of gold gives you 2 extra seconds, so tipically it's worth to go for them and take them. Of course, if some pieces of gold are islated and it would take you more time to go and grab them than the extra time that they'd reward you, then it's not worth going for them when planning your highscore route. You'll see this happen often, some highscore runs actually leave pieces of gold, not because the runs aren't polished enough but because most surely those pieces of gold aren't worth going for, they wouldn't compensate the time. Most highscore routes take all the pieces of gold though, you can see the top20 best runs on each level to verify this.

Speedrun on the other hand only accounts for the number of frames you take from start to finish, that is, the time spent, so it's just based on completing the level as quick as possible, disregarding the time that gold gives you.
r543 wrote:
Losttortuga wrote: Nreality, in addition to having NUMA integration and extra levels, also has new enemies and the option to drastically alter the way objects and the game's physics work, among other things. You can check out all the wacky stuff people have done with nreality on NUMA
Is there any preview for those enemies and object properties? Checked the help menu but couldn't find anything, seems to be very interesting though.
There's not a preview of those because they're not in the original game, however you can see the original maps Unreality (the creator of NReality) made when releasing those drones: http://www.nmaps.net/browse?q=author%3A ... y&count=50

You can load those maps in NReality by going to the Userlevels menu, and typing the map code (the number of the map, which appear in the url when you vising the map page in NUMA) on the top. This way you'll be able to play it directly and also see a leaderboards, which is another cool feature of NReality, leaderboards for all usermade levels in NUMA.

So, those maps showcase some of the new enemies, like the Tile drone, Alarm drone, greedy drone, rocky drone, ghost drone, force field drone, text drone, etc. as well as some of the new capabilities NReality introduced like area triggers, modifying the gravity and number of jumps in air you can make, ceiling and wall floorguards, custom pathing of objects (moving objects, like mines for instance), adding background and foreground images to a level, and a long long etcetera. There's this guy who makes a lot of interesting NReality project, and really showcases the power of NReality modding: http://www.nmaps.net/browse?q=author:jslimb, you can check out some of his maps as well, again by loading them in NReality of course.
r543 wrote:
EddyMataGallos wrote:Hey man, the 1.4 community is completely alive, both mapping and highscoring, albeit there's very little activity, nice to see you coming here. Apparently the main NReality feature wasn't mentioned, it is cheatproof, it helped solidify the trust among highscorers in 2007 when a ton of cheaters were being discovered. Since 2007 there've been no new cheaters due to us not trusting non-NReality players :P
I read about that, it's nice. Personally I don't mind cheaters or hackers if they do stuff like messing around with the game, but I wouldn't want to have them in highscore lists with 0:00 times or 999999 scores, that's definitely something I dislike and I'm surprised how little game devs do about this for the most case, having some kind of checkpoint system(doesn't work for N of course) and checking the clock, but it's good to have this here, will definitely try to do some highscores.

1.2 might be possible, why was that one exactly leaked? Also your profile picture just reminded me of that screen, didnt' that appear when you ran out of time? Guess it was removed later on because it was an awkward mechanic, as dying wouldn't be an issue and give you infinite tries, while running out of time would kick you out of the episode(unless the time wouldn't be set back to it's starting value upon death).
Regarding hackers, I was only referring to score hackers, they hack the scores and submit them to the leaderboards, thus clogging it with fake scores and reducing the possibilities of legit players of having their legit scores in the boards. We ignore these people, but that still implies that some of the scores in the leaderboards are fake so the number of legit scores is smaller than 20.

Regarding why 1.2 was leaked, I don't know, but it was :P I guess somebody extracted the swf flash file and it became popular, and since all flash game sites just steal flash games from one another, the swf file spread through the entire internet. That's how most people actually got to know the game though, like myself and most members here, because let's face it, it's much more likely to find it when surfing a flash game site rather than stomping across Metanet's website. Interested people looking for more information of the flash version then got to know Metanet and to download the latest 1.4 version.

Regarding my picture, yeah that's exactly where I got it from. So I barely remember now, but I believe that indeed, in 1.2 when your time ran out you not only died (like now in 1.4) but you lost the entire episode and that screen appeared, and you had to start again. That screen doesnt appear in 1.4 anymore, so having it in my profile picture is a nice easter egg for those who remember and recognice it.
r543 wrote:Does anyone know if any older versions are still available for download somewhere?
Yeah, long ago I asked the same and I downloaded them all, the pack includes v1.05, 1.2, 1.3c and 1.4. The first ones (1.0, 1.01 and 1.03) aren't, not sure if they were ever even posted on the internet. Anyway, you can download the full pack here:
N-all versions.rar
(3.76 MiB) Downloaded 282 times
ImageImage
Impressive flag by ska -|- N2High - My software for N2.0 -|- Awesome sig by Hendor

Hi, im Eddy, a Spanish highscorer and current Grandmaster of N. I've been playing N since 2006, I beat it on the 8th September 2008, and NReality later too. Started intermittently highscoring Metanet in 2010, although serious highscoring started in late 2011.

Current Stats
• Winner of some contests (BUST, 100, 9000, Bounty Hunters, SOAST) and of some rounds of some contests (ROPP, NErratic, Red Ball, NReality Team Arena)

Achievements
• 8th ever Grandmaster

Relevant Dates

Deds & Images (Spoiler)

Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this full episode to me!: 00-0 00-100-2 00-3 00-4

ImageThanks to leo.

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.07 (19:38)

shomman wrote:I've not heard of this. Could you screenshot that? Sounds interesting.
I tried to screenshot it but it appears right in the screenshot, so I guess it's a rendnering bug. Funny it doesn't seem to happen in Nreality, guess that game has a overall better refresh rate?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you mean that the thwump doesnt move the ninja when on top of it?
Instead of moving with the thwump the ninja just slides off of it.
This happens in both versions of the game - It's just about timing.
I haven't had it happen in v2, when moving back to v1 I was in for a surprise.
That's quite strange, I don't know that I've experienced that.
think it has to do with me using space as the jump button.
I believe it will show your progress there, yeah. There isn't much reason to play 1.4 though, Nreality has all it does and more.
I was just wondering if it would screw up v1.4 if I completed a Nreality exclusive level.
ms/f is milliseconds per frame, I think. I'm afraid you can't disable it, yeah.
I just noticed that it seems to update way more hectic
Some of those levels are utterly ridiculous, yeah. Particularly in the 110, and 111 column. I don't like them whatsoever.
They're still fun and more enjoyable than the v2 levels to me.
In 1.4, your score is your end time. Your end time counts down from 90 seconds, and is added to by the gold you collect, yeah. However, an individual gold is worth 2 seconds, so if it takes more than two seconds to get it, it's not worth it, and your score will be lower for getting it.
I knew that, but I remember reading somewhere that collecting gold gives additonal score(other than time) guess that's just for v2 or they meant the extra time with it.
Yeah, I played some n+ on an emulator and wasn't a fan. I haven't played n++ yet, did you like it?
I haven't really played them but seen how they are, they look alright but I find 1.4 still way better, also with N++ it looks like it's more going into kaizo hack directions. Guess something similar could be said for Nv2, it's like someone was like "hey remember the game N where you had to be so precise or sometimes run at max speed to make it?" similar to how people seem to remember sonic games only as a game about going fast instead of platformers. Not wanting to sound so negative but the original N(and reality) still seems to be superior over the later ones.
They aren't used very often, but look at losttortuga's link and just browse some of the levels. I think that's the best way. I don't know of any guides that were written, and if they existed they may not have been transferred over to this forum from the old one.
I see, most seem to be just modifying normal game mechanics, but still very interesting.
I mean, they still produced a flash game for fun, for free on the internet. Of course they changed some things. They returned after 5 years to make n+, I think, then released Nv2 in 2013 or 2012, and now N++ in 2015. They took a break between 1.4 and n+, and tried to make some other games, which didn't go so well.
Metanet, if I remember correctly, when they were developing the game, dealt with hackers and cheaters on the boards. It has been 11 years since the last iteration of 1.4 though, so I don't blame them for not still monitoring the boards, they moved on a long time ago.
I didn't direclty address metanet but it's nice to know that they did, of course they can't keep monitor it.
EddyMataGallos wrote:This also happens in all the other versions of N as far as I know, it's the way it's supposed to work
I see, still an odd mechanic(and I guess it wasn't intended, just a oversight(bug) that later turned into a feature.
This is normal as well, not sure if it was intentional or not but yeah. It can come in handy in several ocassions, we call it "falling through bounceblocks".
I already thought about making a level with that gimmick in mind.
You'll get used to this, this happens because you jump when the bounceblock is still going down, because after you leave the bounceblock, it starts going up again faster than you're actually going up after your jump, so it catches up to you and hits you, hence removing all the vertical momentum you had, that is, your jump stops and it's just as if you released the jump key, so it looks like a hop. This happens because in N you keep gaining momentum while you keep the jump key pressed unless you hit something, in which case you lose it all and there's no way to gain it back, the jump has finished.
I understand, it didn't happen in V2 so when I went back to V1 I was a bit surprised, I've tried the double bounceblock jump, while it's still difficult for me(might need to use the slowdown mode for training) I was able to pull a few off(by the way 10-2 was the level where I also found out about the block clipping).
Do you jump with the spacebar? That's weird, but you can change it to avoid having that happening, change it to the shift key for example, or to avoid the stickykeys, to any letter, like Z (although you can easily disable stickykeys and use the shift key). In 2.0 the problem does happen as far as I remember, because the jump key acts as the spacebar key, unlike here in which you can actually have them located in different keys (shift and space, usually).
Yes I jump with the spacebar because I don't really like using Shift and other keys for it, guess I'll just have to use something else sadly.
Absolutely, you can swap between versions without any problem, however I'd highly suggest you to stay with NReality, it has no disadvantages because it is essentially a mod that extends the original N v1.4, which means everything in 1.4 is still there and untouched in NReality, it behaves in the same way. But in Nreality you have the advantage of using a cheatproof game, you have extra playing modes, mainly speedrun mode in which the goal is to beat the levels as quick as possible rather than with the highest remaining time left, that is, speedrun mode ignores gold. You also have connection to NUMA, allowing you to play usermade levels within the actual game. You have new levels, the ability to mod the behaviour of the game, etc. Nowadays its primitive not to use NReality, mainly because of the cheatproof capability.
Sweet, and yeah I understand, might just get used to the one or two minor things and play Reality instead.
In NReality you have that, except instead of random levels in which the ninja dies, the game plays YOUR OWN runs, stored in your savefile.
Oh I see, I was wondering why the last played level would play on the title screen and how the Ninja was having a hard time with the reality levels(I kinda messed around and tried some things in some levels), a bit sad that it forces an account but I was going to create one anyways and it's free :P. Local saving would be interesting though.
Actually NReality levels are easier than the original Metanet levels, I'm assuming you thought that since the numbering goes up the difficulty increases but this is not the case, not even within the actual 100 first Metanet episodes. It tends to be the case within each column, but you've surely noticed that the start of each column tends to be fairly easy, like episode 90. In fact, column 80 is probably the hardest one, mainly due to it being made by users. The NReality episodes were just popular usermade packs that were included into the mod, but that's it, they're not meant to be harder or anything, and in fact most are probably easier.
They may be easier but focus way more on advanced mechanics which I can't pull off well, and yes I knew about the level difficult.
About the underclock mode, it is unlocked after beating the first 6 columns, because it's based on the overclock feature which IS present in v1.4, and you unlock that after finishing 6 columns. Underclock is a normal playing mode except it allows you to slow down the game, making is easier and more boring, but its suitable for testing out stuff you can't pull off realtime.
Thought so, read about overclock, nice to have the opposite feature too. Speaking about features, by random I found out about the final RGB reward of 1.4(just going to say it like that because spoilers), that extra color option isn't available in v2? And for Nreality do you unlock it after doing all nreality levels or after the 1.4 ones?
The original N accounts are hosted in Metanet server, of course. NUMA is just connected to the server so it can use the same account, but it's independent and it can't modify the server, that is, you cant create accounts from NUMA, only from N. Nv2 accounts are different account also hosted in Metanet's server, they host everything, but it's not connected.
Ok was a bit worried if Metanet would take them down but I'll just make a Reality account.
Speedrun on the other hand only accounts for the number of frames you take from start to finish, that is, the time spent, so it's just based on completing the level as quick as possible, disregarding the time that gold gives you.
Alright, thought it would be something like that, v2's levels really aren't built for that.
There's this guy who makes a lot of interesting NReality project, and really showcases the power of NReality modding: http://www.nmaps.net/browse?q=author:jslimb, you can check out some of his maps as well, again by loading them in NReality of course.
really interesting features, guess I'll check that out.
Regarding hackers, I was only referring to score hackers, they hack the scores and submit them to the leaderboards, thus clogging it with fake scores and reducing the possibilities of legit players of having their legit scores in the boards. We ignore these people, but that still implies that some of the scores in the leaderboards are fake so the number of legit scores is smaller than 20.
Yeah, those are really annoying and I know of a few games that have all pages full of 0:00 scores.
Regarding why 1.2 was leaked, I don't know, but it was :P I guess somebody extracted the swf flash file and it became popular, and since all flash game sites just steal flash games from one another, the swf file spread through the entire internet. That's how most people actually got to know the game though, like myself and most members here, because let's face it, it's much more likely to find it when surfing a flash game site rather than stomping across Metanet's website. Interested people looking for more information of the flash version then got to know Metanet and to download the latest 1.4 version.
I see, guess some kind of flash extractor was used on the .exe? And yeah most of those game sites steal flash games, but there are also others which make their own games and thanks to them sharing it so much people will discover games like this.
Regarding my picture, yeah that's exactly where I got it from. So I barely remember now, but I believe that indeed, in 1.2 when your time ran out you not only died (like now in 1.4) but you lost the entire episode and that screen appeared, and you had to start again. That screen doesnt appear in 1.4 anymore, so having it in my profile picture is a nice easter egg for those who remember and recognice it.
yep it's like that, same for 1.3, it was removed in 1.4 through. It's kind of an odd mechanic, seeing how you could kill the ninja one frame before you would run out of time and then replay the stage again, not getting a game over.

My guess is that it was originally intended that every fail wouldn't refresh your time, so the time you had was for the complete episode, but with more difficulty and all this probably got scrapped early on. The image also seems to be available on the N website, sadly in both cases it's a rather heavily compressed .jpg. Someone should really remake those victory screens and the game over screen as .svg one day(think vector graphics work well for this).
Yeah, long ago I asked the same and I downloaded them all, the pack includes v1.05, 1.2, 1.3c and 1.4. The first ones (1.0, 1.01 and 1.03) aren't, not sure if they were ever even posted on the internet. Anyway, you can download the full pack here:
Thanks, I think I started with 1.3c, think the game version had more levels than 1.2, no way to check and it probably was 1.2. Before downloading it the post showed that it already had one download, did you try it out to see if it worked or was that someone else ? :P

Damn You're Fine

Postby shomman » 2016.02.07 (20:36)

r543 wrote:I tried to screenshot it but it appears right in the screenshot, so I guess it's a rendnering bug. Funny it doesn't seem to happen in Nreality, guess that game has a overall better refresh rate?
Ah, ok. I'm not familiar with 1.4, just NReality. Perhaps you're better off playing NReality then :)
r543 wrote: Instead of moving with the thwump the ninja just slides off of it.
Yeah. This just seems normal to me, but I guess it'd make sense to follow. Both versions of the game, you have to actively stay on the thwump, walking in the same direction
r543 wrote:think it has to do with me using space as the jump button.
That'd do it, yeah
r543 wrote: I was just wondering if it would screw up v1.4 if I completed a Nreality exclusive level.
Definitely not.
r543 wrote:I just noticed that it seems to update way more hectic
Yeah, mine is also not stable. I have no idea why. Maybe because 1.4 was designed for Windows XP?
r543 wrote:They're still fun and more enjoyable than the v2 levels to me.
haha, whatever floats your boat dude.
r543 wrote:I knew that, but I remember reading somewhere that collecting gold gives additonal score(other than time) guess that's just for v2 or they meant the extra time with it.
Your time = your score. So gold does give extra score, in terms of your time. Both 1.4 and v2
r543 wrote:I haven't really played them but seen how they are, they look alright but I find 1.4 still way better, also with N++ it looks like it's more going into kaizo hack directions. Guess something similar could be said for Nv2, it's like someone was like "hey remember the game N where you had to be so precise or sometimes run at max speed to make it?" similar to how people seem to remember sonic games only as a game about going fast instead of platformers. Not wanting to sound so negative but the original N(and reality) still seems to be superior over the later ones.
Again, whatever floats your boat.I also haven't played N++ but it looks really fun to me
r543 wrote:I see, still an odd mechanic(and I guess it wasn't intended, just a oversight(bug) that later turned into a feature.
Amusingly, a lot of the playability features in 1.4, such as corner jumps and things like that, are actually bugs. But they act more as features. Microsoft would be proud
r543 wrote: Yes I jump with the spacebar because I don't really like using Shift and other keys for it, guess I'll just have to use something else sadly.
I find the "up" key to be the best, but there are a plethora of different setups people use. Just try out some stuff.
r543 wrote:Thought so, read about overclock, nice to have the opposite feature too. Speaking about features, by random I found out about the final RGB reward of 1.4(just going to say it like that because spoilers), that extra color option isn't available in v2? And for Nreality do you unlock it after doing all nreality levels or after the 1.4 ones?
Don't worry about spoilers lol, for a game that's 11 years old :P. No it's not available for v2. And in 1.4 you unlock it by beating all the Metanet levels, not the NReality ones.

Stats

82 0ths (4th)
412 Top 10's (3rd)
360 Top 5's (1st)
3086 Points (2nd)
2.5 Average Rank (3rd)

Other Stuff

Image Thanks Nyan!

Postby EddyMataGallos » 2016.02.08 (13:45)

r543 wrote:Oh I see, I was wondering why the last played level would play on the title screen and how the Ninja was having a hard time with the reality levels(I kinda messed around and tried some things in some levels), a bit sad that it forces an account but I was going to create one anyways and it's free :P. Local saving would be interesting though.
Actually in v1.4 everything is saved locally as well, unlike in v2.0 in which you have to rely on the Metanet server.

There's a thread that explains where's your savefile stored depending on your OS: http://forum.droni.es/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4705
It's a bit outdated, but I assume that in Windows 8 and 10 the savefile is located in a similar folder to WinVista/7.

Btw, I like how you also discuss in an organized manner, most people don't do that and end up forgetting about most of the previous arguments and questions that were brought up in the discussion.
ImageImage

Current Stats

Achievements
• 8th ever Grandmaster

Relevant Dates

Deds & Images (Spoiler)

ImageThanks to leo.

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.08 (15:59)

shomman wrote:Yeah, mine is also not stable. I have no idea why. Maybe because 1.4 was designed for Windows XP?
I meant nreality, it's somewhat more stable in 1.4
shomman wrote:Your time = your score. So gold does give extra score, in terms of your time. Both 1.4 and v2
That's what I guessed.
shomman wrote:Again, whatever floats your boat.I also haven't played N++ but it looks really fun to me
Don't get me wrong, N definitely has some interesting features and I wouldn't mind seeing some of those modded into 1.4.
shomman wrote:Amusingly, a lot of the playability features in 1.4, such as corner jumps and things like that, are actually bugs. But they act more as features. Microsoft would be proud
Yeah, well in a way they are things that happen because how the game's coded, just not intended.
shomman wrote:I find the "up" key to be the best, but there are a plethora of different setups people use. Just try out some stuff.
For some reason I always thought that up/down were used in N but they aren't, using up works rather well minus the point of deciding how long you want to hold it down, but I guess I'll get used to it.
shomman wrote:Don't worry about spoilers lol, for a game that's 11 years old :P. No it's not available for v2. And in 1.4 you unlock it by beating all the Metanet levels, not the NReality ones.
I wonder why this wasn't added in 2.0 or why there isn't a reward for completing everything there.
EddyMataGallos wrote:Actually in v1.4 everything is saved locally as well, unlike in v2.0 in which you have to rely on the Metanet server.
Oh hey, I had this post window open for a while so I didn't see your reply at first.
I see, but what if you play without an accout? Guess stuff's saved locally then(for v2 that is), as for the OS, basically on everything based on WinNT it's in the user/appdata/roaming folder, don't think that changed.
EddyMataGallos wrote:Btw, I like how you also discuss in an organized manner, most people don't do that and end up forgetting about most of the previous arguments and questions that were brought up in the discussion.
Oh you mean this splitting up of quotes? Yeah I do that so it's easier to see what the reply's about, also because my posts are rather big but that's mostly because reasoning/explaining things/talking about game mechanics.

Since you're a moderator I might as well ask here, is there a way to view all the "user ranks" based on number of posts(like how it shows "lucky" for 7 and so on), missed some while writing posts so I'd like to re read them :P

Postby EddyMataGallos » 2016.02.08 (16:15)

r543 wrote:
EddyMataGallos wrote:Actually in v1.4 everything is saved locally as well, unlike in v2.0 in which you have to rely on the Metanet server.
Oh hey, I had this post window open for a while so I didn't see your reply at first.
I see, but what if you play without an accout? Guess stuff's saved locally then(for v2 that is), as for the OS, basically on everything based on WinNT it's in the user/appdata/roaming folder, don't think that changed.
Here's a pretty old post someone made: http://forum.droni.es/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1644
In any case, accessing the ranks requires more priviledges, probably only admins can do it.
r543 wrote:Since you're a moderator I might as well ask here, is there a way to view all the "user ranks" based on number of posts(like how it shows "lucky" for 7 and so on), missed some while writing posts so I'd like to re read them :P
In v2.0 you can't play if you don't log in, as far as I remember, and even if you can then nothing is saved that's for sure. That's one of the things I didn't like.
Also, Windows XP is also an NT system which doesn't use the roaming folder, but yeah you'll probably have it easy to find. Specially because you can as well just look up for the filename, "_v14b_userdata.sol".
ImageImage

Current Stats

Achievements
• 8th ever Grandmaster

Relevant Dates

Deds & Images (Spoiler)

ImageThanks to leo.

Octave

Postby r543 » 2016.02.08 (21:38)

EddyMataGallos wrote:In v2.0 you can't play if you don't log in, as far as I remember, and even if you can then nothing is saved that's for sure. That's one of the things I didn't like.
Also, Windows XP is also an NT system which doesn't use the roaming folder, but yeah you'll probably have it easy to find. Specially because you can as well just look up for the filename, "_v14b_userdata.sol".
Thanks, I was able to play, resume and continue v2 without needing to login. Right, XP didn't use it, but you can generally say it's in the % username%/appdata folder unless it's on very old Windows versions.

I played a bit more of N today, was finally able to beat that one level in the first half of the first column which kept me from progressing, when I thought that I had done enough(played for a good hour or so, only finished certain levels so I wouldn't have to replay more annoying ones again) I saw that I'm on the last episode, decided to give that a go... took a good hour or so but I finally cleared the first column and unlocked the first flavor, with that said I wasn't much of a fan of Episode 9 and don't plan on replaying it, was good to finally have it finished through, also because I played on Reality I now see my playthroughs on the title "hey that's me" :P.
I guess N is one of those games that can get very frustrating but it's great to know that you've beaten all those levels after you finished them.

With that said, I really don't know how far I'll get in N, so far I've unlocked the following levels in the columns (10 3 2 3 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1) with underclock I might have a better chance at it but dunno, guess I'm just not a skilled player and not much of a fan of trying levels that many times, especially if they have a very precise part/part that can easily screw you over near the finish.