I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread for all the bugs and glitches and stuff we found in v2 to have at a glance.
If you've found a bug I haven't mentioned, feel free to post below and I'll edit it to this post. If M&R fixed a bug I'll cross it out.
I've focused on the playing/highscoring side, so I've probably nailed down most of the prominent ones there, but doubtless there will be some missing from the mapping side.
Bugs are listed by category, and within each category in rough order from most game-breaking-flavoured to least.
New bugs in latest version
- YOU CAN'T PLAYTEST LEVELS ANYMORE.
- Level save delay bug: When you create a map and save it, sometimes the map isn't saved and you only see an old version (or empty map if this is your first save). After a few hours or days, the save automatically updates to the new version. The level names in particular are delayed the most. Sometimes "Untitled" appears in the in-game map area even though the level has a name and was published months ago.
- When you delete an unpublished map, sometimes it looks like someone else posted your map, but only you can see this. This fixes itself after a while. source
- You can't see your 2P scores at all anymore.
- A random crash in 2P mode that I don't know how to replicate.
- The 3rd decimal place of scores is fixed at 5 during all gameplay and replays.
- In full screen, after logging in, the “logged in!” notice stays on-screen instead of going upwards until it disappears. This also happens with flags, ratings, etc.
- Playing through the game normally doesn't give you high scores / personal bests. You have to do them in levels mode. This might have been deliberate.
- Some lag issues on some people's computers. (although it runs amazingly on my computer)
- If you load levels in-browser you can't log in to submit highscores, view highscores, and rate the map (if it's a userlevel). You have to escape to the main menu, but then you can't return to the map easily.
- Seeker drones can be triggered through tiles; my 73-2 run has two instances.
- Hilarious sticking to the ceiling bug. See 5827.
- Running through a group of thwumps on the floor facing upwards kills you. See 13143.
- Hitting a down facing launchpad on the ceiling from the side has no effect.
- P and Esc don't unpause; only arrows do. partly fixed. Esc still doesn't unpause
- The ninja can't stand still between a diagonal "1" tile and a curved "4" tile.
- When you pick up multiple locked door switches in quick succession, only the first one makes a sound. Same for lasers, chainguns, seekers, rockets, and launchpads.
- If your internet disconnects while playing, or if you deliberately try to load N v2 without internet access, this pops up. Another example, done without internet on purpose.
- Launchpads sometimes have no border.
- The author PALEMOON should be capitalised in A2-2.
- The speedhack detection message has 2 typos in it, a spelling mistake: "to", and a punctuation mistake: ".!" at the end.
- Pressing ' or ~ makes you win. fixed
- Episode unlocking issues with latest version. fixed
- When maximised, game window not centred. fixed
- When you beat the game, you don't get any sort of congratulory message. Only this. fixed
- HACKED SCORES. I thought M&R solved this, but they didn't. e.g. TheOfficialJumper 100000 on 20-1.
- CHEATED SCORES. M&R gave more attention to this, but they didn't solve it, e.g. cris56700 4303 on 29-4. In this post Eddy says M&R "probably tried but I don't think they are going to go harder, which is a pity."
- On levels mode, you can't see your own score after you beat a level or after you die.
- URLs for highscore boards don't work.
- After watching a replay, the highscores reload themselves, which is a waste of time.
- Pressing ' or ~ makes you win. You can abuse this glitch to get fake highscores on levels. fixed
- Tied scores on each level not ordered chronologically. fixed
- Occasionally, while browsing levels, I randomly get logged out. Never happens when I'm playing the game, only when loading highscores. I think this has been fixed but not sure
- Replays cut out very shortly after the last key is pressed even if the level is not finished, e.g. Sunset's 00-4, jp27ace's 13-0, my B9-4. fixed
- No time bar on replays. fixed
- If caps lock is on, the next, previous, and main menu buttons in the levels menu aren't clickable. fixed
- "A new personal best; keep trying for a highscore!" means you improved but you didn't take 0th. This is a bit misleading, since "highscore" doesn't necessarily mean 0th. fixed
- After quitting or running out of time partly fixed, you can click on "resume game" which will take you back to the level you were at, with the time you began with. That effectively grants you immortality, and kills the whole point of arcade mode.
- When you beat arcade mode, this window pops up fixed, and under "play game" the a-X is not marked in a white border to indicate beaten.
- When your score reaches 1000.000, the decimal point is in the wrong place, although the timer still counts properly. You can see that in the above link. fixed
- URLs for userlevels don't work. (nevada found a workaround) fixed, but no way to recover map data unless I'm missing something
- Playtesting in the editor only lets you use default keys. anti-fixed by virtue of the fact that you can't playtest levels at all anymore
- When you cut and rotate something with doors in it, sometimes the doors don't get rotated properly.
- When placing thwumps in editor, you can't see the "ghost".
- The save delay bug sometimes existing highscores on levels invalid (similar to editing maps in NReality).
- If you go to a certain page (e.g. page 2) of search results, then do a fresh search, the results shown will correspond to that same page of the new search results instead of redirecting back to page 1, resulting in a blank page if there aren't that many results.
- Inconsistency in search function: title search is whole word only, but author search is whole word or beginning part of word. Also search terms of fewer than 3 characters are ignored which really isn't necessary if you're doing whole word search.
- If you try to rotate an area that is more than 23 tile spaces wide (so it can't be rotated), this error message appears.
- If you press F to go into editing individual objects mode (i.e. "mouse-over entity to edit"), you can't exit that mode (by pressing F again) unless your mouse is on some object.
- You can't undo the very first object that you place on a map. However, you can place another object and undo twice. Or just delete the object.
- Something with map 1615?
- I don't have any favourites yet, so this might be the issue, but clicking on "faves" returns the last map that I selected, like this. The error message arises if I try to watch a replay. If no map was selected last, it defaults to map 10240, which doesn't exist yet. Trying to play the map in faves or trying to unfave it gives this. fixed
- The search function only returns fifty results. This just isn't good enough. increased to 250, which should be enough for most. added to suggestions.
- Numbers of gold pieces for levels round down, not to the nearest whole number like on numa. This makes ratings of 5 impossible to achieve if one person rates it less than 5. Also: rounding error. Map 1142, CelebratioN2.0 by santicol, currently has a rating of 2.999999999666 and 2 gold pieces. fixed
- The scores for level 1439 are all messed up, presumably because of all the gold. fixed
- You can only see what score you get if you beat your 1P mode highscore, or if the above error occurs. anti-fixed. You can't see your scores at all anymore.
- If you do beat your 1P score on 2P, then revert back to 1P, you can't save 1P scores lower than your best 2P score - until you close the window. (So it's not really a major bug.) vacuously fixed by means of the above bug being anti-fixed
- Beating a level and clicking "main menu" causes this to pop up. Clicking "Continue" gives the same window again. Clicking "Dismiss All" causes the main menu replays to be glitched; the ninja is invisible and the enemies don't move until the ninja dies. fixed
- If Player 1 completes the level, while Player 2 is being really lazy and has not pressed a single key (except he is allowed to press the suicide key), this window pops up. This does not happen if Player 1 and Player 2 are swapped round. Then, on the next play, at the beginning, if no keys are pressed, Player 1 will continue to move in the same direction as he was going at the time of the error message, until that same directional key is pressed and then released. fixed
- If you stay on the story page for more than about half a minute, this pops up. fixed
- The words "unquenchable" and "inexplicable" are spelt incorrectly in the story section. fixed
- In the help section, "Beaten levels are then unlocked for speedruns" should read "highscores", unless you were going to include a speedrun mode. fixed
Differences from v1.4
- Ninja/tile interaction has changed so that the ninja can't penetrate into the tile as much as it used to. Result: no corner jumps; jumps on a floor/wall between mines a tile apart are far easier; mines in a corner between two "1" tile slopes can't be hit.
- Launchpads and bounceblocks can boost you really fast. Example: 11420
- Ninja can fit into half-tile space and a bunch of other weird things can happen. Example (or general bug compilation): 10229
- More community integration. There are TONS of N v2 players out there who know nothing about the forums, irc, nreality, or even numa. 63000 maps have been submitted to N v2, which is far more than what has been submitted to numa since last May. What N v2 lacks - and desperately needs - is the community aspect, which would be achieved if the 63000 maps had a site to themselves where people's maps would get more than just fleeting temporary recognition, with a search, comment, and feature system, as well as a highscore database like n.infunity for the players.
- Corner jumps (unlikely I know, but it still needs a mention).
- Improve the search function, e.g. search by map ID, or a combination of fields (e.g. date, author, rating), and played/unplayed or beaten/unbeaten maps.
- 20 scores on a level. 10 aren't enough - especially because many are so tight / maxed out already.
- View your own replays of your levels if they're not top10, either locally or server-side.
- Arcade mode high scores.
- 2P high scores.
- Have scores in seconds, like in v1.4, not in frames. (Just divide by 60)
- Make level navigation easier like in 1.4.
- Transparent update instead of new download every time.
- A separate highscoring message when you get 0th on a level (compared to the top10 message).
- Limit to number of userlevels that can be published per account per day.
- Random map like on numa.
- Ability to have over 250 search results or favourites.
- Frame by frame mode in the editor.
- Frame counter.
- Death counter. And while you're at it, customisable flavours, overclock, boss mode, and maybe gold counter.
- Anything else that NReality offers.
- Maps with <5 total ratings listed as unrated. done
How the hell do I do bullet point lists in bbCode? >:/ :D
Edit 177/2013: updated to M&R's latest blog post