N++ to PC

Discussion about latest version of N; N++ (Available on PC & PS4)

Moderator: Nahoj

Smoothest Taint in the West
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ska
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby ska » 2014.09.16 (03:52)

Okay, okay. So I've talked to Mare about the possibility of using a kickstarter to crowdsource funds for a Steam release of N++ to PC. Now, she said:
Mare wrote:If only it were that simple! Actually, government funding is far superior to kickstarter and angel investors for us -- we need full control of what we produce, and some sources of money come with some pretty big strings attached.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be fine. We'll do what we can do, shout about it as loud as we can, and hope for the best. If people love N++ even a fraction as much as we do, we're pretty sure we'll be ok.
This was like a week or so ago three weeks ago, and I've been thinking about it a bit since I had this exchange. I honestly believe that we could make this happen. I'm not sure what kind of target they'd be aiming for, but I thought at the very least I should gauge the community's opinions. A massive guerrilla advertising blitz, setting rewards at different tier levels etc. Any ideas relating to a PC release of N++ is what I'd love to hear.

Now, "strings attached" irked me, because the whole idea of a kickstarter campaign (by my understanding) is that you set the target and what you will offer for each tier. If these "conditions" are the only things that are getting in the way from at least supplementing its development, then I feel that it is our obligation as a community to unite and push this title for the betterment of humanity. I think M+R just need an encouraging sign that this is what the community at large, and even those who are outside of the forums, would like to see happen.
Last edited by ska on 2014.09.17 (07:19), edited 1 time in total.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2014.09.17 (03:42)

"If only it were that simple! Actually, government funding is far superior to kickstarter and angel investors for us -- we need full control of what we produce, and some sources of money come with some pretty big strings attached."

what the fuck is she talking about
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2014.09.17 (04:35)

otters~1 wrote:"If only it were that simple! Actually, government funding is far superior to kickstarter and angel investors for us -- we need full control of what we produce, and some sources of money come with some pretty big strings attached."

what the fuck is she talking about
Well, bags of taxpayer money and no accountability do sound pretty good to me.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Leading The Flock

Postby Mare » 2014.11.15 (18:52)

Obviously government funding comes with some strings (primarily the accountability ℕipply ℙuffs thinks there is none of -- that's very wrong. Actually there aren't bags of money either!), but precisely how those strings affect development and a developer's agency pales in comparison to many others attached to other sources of funding. I wasn't talking about kickstarter tiers and rewards ska! We've been talking with other developers about this stuff over the years, and this is a common chord.

Our goal for N++ is to get it in the hands of as many people as we can, and a huge part of our goal is to ensure there's a PC version of N++. We're trying to figure out how to deliver the news in as many ways as possible to as many people, and how to reach people who like challenging games but haven't heard of N++. So we just need to finish it, and then tell people about it! ;)

We're so delighted to hear you want to help! That's what we love about this community. The best thing you can do is to help us spread the word about N++. If more people know about it and try it, we're sure some of them will like it enough to buy it. We don't have a huge marketing budget, and absolutely rely on word of mouth -- friends recommending things to other friends is the best review a game can get.

Semimember

Postby Fnord » 2015.07.17 (01:51)

I've posted this before, but for a DRM-free PC version (for instance, on gog), I'd pay through the nose! Literally.

If you kickstarted that, I'd be in the top tiers without a doubt.