N++ Beta - Discussion

Discussion about latest version of N; N++ (Available on PC & PS4)

Moderator: Nahoj

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Nahoj » 2015.06.21 (11:51)

So since the closed BETA for N++ has been released for a select group of testers, I figured it would be a good idea to have a discussion thread about it.

Even though 'the main purpose of this Beta is to test the complex server backend'.
It's always fun to discuss all the other aspects aswell as give feedback.

I will also be keeping two lists of the following things;
'Bugs & glitches' and 'Other ideas'.
- In the first list, I will put any bugs/glitches that I or other players have encountered while playing the Beta.
- In the second list, I will put any other ideas that could improve the game.

These ideas are just there to inspire M&R.
And to push this game the fullest potential ofcourse!

Bugs & glitches
  • - Own score being displayed incorrectly on the leaderboard + not able to watch the replay. This glitched score is only visible for yourself. For others it is still displayed correctly.

- Spamming the X-button when confirming to publish a level, will cause the level to publish multiple times.

- Ninja can jump through horizontally placed one-way platforms (similar to Nv1.4)

- When watching a replay which includes 2+ players (Co-op) the game may sometimes switch up the spawn points. This results in a bugged replay in which the players seem to be jumping around randomly.

- When 'Sound' is set to '0' the sliding sound of the ninja is sometimes still hearable.
Other ideas
  • - Fully customizable button layout.

- If the previous option is not so realistic, then; Being able to change the left&right inputs to L1&R1, instead of the stick/D-pad. L1&R1 give you more control over the ninja + your thumbs don't get sore after doing some intense runs.

- Some text notifying whether you've beaten your previous personal highscore or not. Similar to what the Nv2 browser version has.

- An in-game reference to this forum would be good to encourage community communication (maybe add a QR-code?).

- Option to lock theme, as it changes every time one enters the main menu.

- Level rating feature this could be a like/dislike system or the classic 1-5 rating system.
    EDIT: I guess I hadn't noticed the '++' rating system, my bad.

- Additional to the previous idea; feature to comment on a level.

- Author's username should be shown in the bottom of the level, just like the title of the level.

- Feature to look at the leaderboards while playing an episode/level OR being able to see the top score on the current level/episode.
Feel free to bash or add to my ideas.
And don't forget to post your own experience of the Beta in here too! The more feedback the better!

PS; Sorry for any foolish language mistakes, I'm Dutch ;)
Last edited by Nahoj on 2015.07.19 (08:19), edited 23 times in total.

If you ain't first, you're last!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/EddyMataGallos

Postby EddyMataGallos » 2015.06.21 (21:35)

Are those suggestions there because you're a beta tester and haven't found them in the game? Because I'd be surprised if either controls aren't customizable or it doesn't pop up a message when you improve your score, those are basic things I'd imagine M&R to have implemented in the game. If they aren't, they definitely should. Also, referencing the forums is a must as well, in my opinion.
ImageImage
Impressive flag by ska -|- N2High - My software for N2.0 -|- Awesome sig by Hendor
About me & Stats (Spoiler)

Hi, im Eddy, a Spanish highscorer and current Grandmaster of N. I've been playing N since 2006, I beat it on the 8th September 2008, and NReality later too. Started intermittently highscoring Metanet in 2010, although serious highscoring started in late 2011.

Current Stats
• Completed N on 8th Sept. 2008
• Completed NReality on 24th Dec. 2010
0th Place on Metanet 0th Rankings with 443 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Top20 Rankings with 599 Scores.
0th Place on Metanet Top10 Rankings with 599 Scores.
1st Place on Metanet Top5 Rankings with 595 Scores.
0th Place on Metanet Level 0th Rankings with 361 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Episode 0th Rankings with 82 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Total Level Score: 72142.900 (20:02:22.900)
0th Place on Metanet Total Episode Score: 35669.900 (09:54:29.900)
0th Place on Metanet Total Point Rankings with 11669 Points.
0th Place in NReality 0th Rankings with 235 0ths.
0th Place for a grand total of 676 Total 0ths.
• Winner of some contests (BUST, 100, 9000, Bounty Hunters, SOAST) and of some rounds of some contests (ROPP, NErratic, Red Ball, NReality Team Arena)

{Info as of 01/Feb/2015} The info may be outdated.

Achievements
• 6th highscorer to reach 100 Metanet 0ths
• 4th highscorer to reach 200 Metanet 0ths
• 1st and only highscorer to reach 300 Metanet 0ths
• 1st and only highscorer to reach 400 Metanet 0ths
• 8th ever Grandmaster
• 2nd* highscorer to reach 599 top-20 Scores
• 1st highscorer to reach 599 top-10 Scores
• 10th highscorer to reach 70k Level Score
• 5th highscorer to reach 71k Level Score
• 2nd highscorer to reach 71.5k Level Score
• 1st highscorer to reach 72k Level Score

Relevant Dates
• First 0th: 31-3 on 04/Oct/10
• Reached 100 Metanet 0ths on 25/Feb/12
• Reached 200 Metanet 0ths on 30/Sep/12
• Reached 300 Metanet 0ths on 16/Mar/13
• Reached 400 Metanet 0ths on 04/Sept/14
• Reached highest amount of 0ths on Jan/2013
• Became the Grandmaster on 12/Apr/2012
• Reached 70k Level Score on 25/Dec/11
• Reached 71k Level Score on 13/Jan/11
• Reached 71.5k Level Score on 01/Aug/12
• Reached 72k Level Score on 04/Jul/14
• Completed N 1.4 on 08/Sept/08
• Completed NReality on 24/Dec/10
• Reached 100 NReality 0ths on Oct/2011
• Reached 200 NReality 0ths on Nov/2011
• Reached 100 Top-20 Scores on Aug/10
• Reached 200 Top-20 Scores on Nov/11
• Reached 300 Top-20 Scores on Nov/11
• Reached 400 Top-20 Scores on Dec/11
• Reached 500 Top-20 Scores on Jan/12
• Reached 599 Top-20 Scores on 04/Apr/12
• Reached 599 Top-10 Scores on 18/Nov/12

Deds & Images (Spoiler)

Thanks to ska for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to BluePretzel for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to da_guru for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this full episode to me!: 00-0 00-100-2 00-3 00-4
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this mappack to me
Thanks to zoasBE for partially dedicating this map to me
Thanks to VODKALOVER for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to runningninja for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for partially dedicating this map to me
Thanks to trance for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to llabesab for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to the23 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Traveleravi for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to 123leonidas321 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to the23 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Uniden for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Uniden for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Ors_II for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Sunset for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to blue_rocks for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Leonhard for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Daggafork for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to VODKALOVER for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Armaghan_Ali for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to RandomDigits/SpartaX18 for dedicating this map to me
Sorry if Im missing any ded.

ImageThanks to leo.

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Nahoj » 2015.06.21 (22:24)

EddyMataGallos wrote:Are those suggestions there because you're a beta tester and haven't found them in the game? Because I'd be surprised if either controls aren't customizable or it doesn't pop up a message when you improve your score, those are basic things I'd imagine M&R to have implemented in the game. If they aren't, they definitely should. Also, referencing the forums is a must as well, in my opinion.
I have played the Beta for several hours now. And there seems to be no option to change the controls whatsoever, not in this Beta atleast.
And all you can see is the time in the top-left corner,this is what it looks like when you finish a run:
http://oi62.tinypic.com/dh3eyo.jpg

The Loneliest Number

Postby n9195v » 2015.06.22 (15:26)

I can't figure out how to delete stuff in the editor. I can only paste blank blocks after copying a block space, undo, and move enemies off screen. Is there an delete button?

I wish the bounce block would break your fall instead of you.

Can you pick the speed of the enemies?

Can you make the default level size smaller/bigger?

Will the levels we made be playable when the game launches?

Can we make episodes like we could in n+?

Also I hate not being able to (maybe not knowing how) to skip replays!!!!!!!!

The Loneliest Number

Postby EvilTrovis » 2015.06.22 (21:32)

n9195v wrote:I can't figure out how to delete stuff in the editor. I can only paste blank blocks after copying a block space, undo, and move enemies off screen. Is there an delete button?
There is, at least with entities. When you're in the mode that allows you to modify/move the entity (where it tells you to press X to pick up an entity), you can press Square (I believe that's the correct button) once you're hovered over it to delete it. The legend doesn't mention it, but it works. I emailed Metanet and Mare replied saying this issue has been addressed.

Almost as Bad as One

Postby swift4010 » 2015.06.27 (21:21)

Please, oh please add keyboard support for your loyal PC N players! The precision and control far surpasses the current DS4 controls.

Although I do like your idea of the R1/L1 controls, as the joystick lacks precision, and the Dpad lacks quick changes from left to right, or vice versa. The only problem I see is trying to coordinate both hands... Imagine playing a game with one finger on the right arrow key and a finger from your other hand on the left... I'm not sure how well that would go :/

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Nahoj » 2015.06.28 (10:08)

swift4010 wrote:Please, oh please add keyboard support for your loyal PC N players! The precision and control far surpasses the current DS4 controls.
I was thinking; if they could add a fully customizable button layout, and you put your buttons like this:
Jump = Any [D-pad] OR [touchpad]
Left = Square
Right = Circle

Then press the buttons as if the controller were a keyboard, it kinda plays the same I would assume?

Or they could just put some default layouts in there, this one being called "PC layout" or something like that.

Almost as Bad as One

Postby swift4010 » 2015.06.28 (17:40)

Nahoj wrote:
swift4010 wrote:Please, oh please add keyboard support for your loyal PC N players! The precision and control far surpasses the current DS4 controls.
I was thinking; if they could add a fully customizable button layout, and you put your buttons like this:
Jump = Any [D-pad] OR [touchpad]
Left = Square
Right = Circle

Then press the buttons as if the controller were a keyboard, it kinda plays the same I would assume?

Or they could just put some default layouts in there, this one being called "PC layout" or something like that.
I mean, that would work, even if it would be a little awkward to hold the controller with your index finger on square, and your ring finger on circle, but it would still be a little better. It can't be that hard though to add keyboard support though, other games have done it, and then you can just plug in your USB keyboard if you want those controls. As it is now, I find myself switching between the D-pad and the joystick, depending on the situation, sometimes even mid-level, and honestly it's such a pain...

But to get away from the negative for a bit, I am loving the game so much! The new enemies are the highlight for me, as well as the new objects, as it adds so many more possibilities for the level creation! It's great not to have to use the trap door glitch to have to boost the ninja anymore, especially for making DDAs, I just wish there was some way to get the functionality of putting a bunch of gold over an object to create a delay before an object activates.

The Loneliest Number

Postby scottplusplus » 2015.06.30 (19:28)

Nahoj wrote:Being able to change the left&right inputs to L1&R1, instead of the stick/D-pad. L1&R1 give you more control over the ninja + your thumbs don't get sore after doing some intense runs.
Hi! You can do this from the the PS home screen by going to: Settings > Accessibility > Button Assignments > Customise Button Assignments.
An in-game option would be better as the custom button assignments are for everything on the PS4; menus, all games, etc... It can still be useful if you plan on having a long session of just going for highscores on N though :)

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Nahoj » 2015.06.30 (21:01)

scottplusplus wrote:
Nahoj wrote:Being able to change the left&right inputs to L1&R1, instead of the stick/D-pad. L1&R1 give you more control over the ninja + your thumbs don't get sore after doing some intense runs.
Hi! You can do this from the the PS home screen by going to: Settings > Accessibility > Button Assignments > Customise Button Assignments.
An in-game option would be better as the custom button assignments are for everything on the PS4; menus, all games, etc... It can still be useful if you plan on having a long session of just going for highscores on N though :)
Thank you!
I did not know that :)

Definitely going to try this out later today, and see what plays best.