&

What's going on with the forums? Check here for updates and ask your questions.
User avatar
Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite
Posts: 17
Joined: 2008.09.28 (12:37)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/toshosoft
Steam: shoftee
MBTI Type: INTJ
Location: Right behind you o_O
Contact:

Postby TS » 2009.01.01 (04:40)

Aheh heh heh.
Nice one.
<3
Image

The number of Electoral College votes needed to be President of the US.
Posts: 282
Joined: 2008.10.07 (04:17)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Fraxtil
MBTI Type: INTJ
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Fraxtil » 2009.01.01 (05:02)

Now my userlevels take FOREVER to load. >_>

But seriously, great job compiling this thing. Looks massive.

User avatar
Spoil-Sport
Posts: 659
Joined: 2008.11.02 (23:40)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/eganic
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby sheganican » 2009.01.01 (05:14)

boy im depressed to see all the effort you guys are putting in and all the great things you guys have accomplished and know that i would be capable of doing stuff that great if i wasnt so lazy and not hard-working ;_;



and so it goes, and so it goes, and so will you soon i suppose.

- Billy Joel



Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
Posts: 1540
Joined: 2008.09.19 (12:19)
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ
Location: Huntington, WV
Contact:

Postby Kablizzy » 2009.01.02 (06:56)

Feh. Just enjoy, all! Enjoy! That's what it's there for. It's meant to be enjoyed.
Image
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

User avatar
Ice Cold
Posts: 202
Joined: 2008.11.13 (01:18)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/sithmaster
Location: East Dakota aka the West Coast of Mongolia
Contact:

Postby Sithmaster » 2009.01.02 (07:21)

wow, I thought the count down was for New Years and the Forum crashing, but no! it was the New Year, and an amazing new level pack!
quotes of the old forum

Blue_Tetris: Wait, wait wait. Does this mean I can break the rules to provoke a reaction and not get banned?
...awesome! The next few days are gonna be some fun.

Someguy: Eagles may soar in the sky, but weasels never get sucked right into a jet engine

Steven Colbert: I see patterns where they don't where they don't exist!!!

Mosh: Fishing for fish only works if the fish are hungry. Don't ask the fish why they don't bite. Rather, consider why they aren't biting.
Or simply chuck a grenade in the lake, pick up the dead fish, and call it a day.

capt_weasle: Mare is actually reagan who is really Tsukatu, who is actually just God. And you can't say he isn't because that would mean he doesnt believe in himself. He just has a low self esteem. Poor guy.

Palemoon:thanks, maestro. Now i can stop smearing paste on my face with a broom

Animator:Eat those poor gingerbread men? For shame. Do you know how many widows are in a gingerbread family? Millions. They have been fighting a war with humanity ever since they were made just to survive and live, with no luck! Think of the children, man! Those poor gingerbread children who are orpahns now, because their moms and dads were eaten, AND THEY WILL SHARE THE SAME FATE TOO! It's saddening. Please, go out there and raise money to save this ever-endangered reality of sugar and bread. Please, for the sake of this kind... think of the oven.

Player 1:You may very well be the first person on the planet to have his faced caved in by a fistful of turkey. Congratulations.

Image
Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at Pokeplushies!

Tsukatu Twilight Rant

BELLA parks her car and enters the school.
EDWARD: "Hello, Bella. I am very awkward, and I am a vampire."
Freeze frame: the text "protagonist, and also a vampire" appears, and an arrow pointing from the text to EDWARD blinks a few times.
BELLA: "I am infatuated with you." (she turns to the camera) "I am unaware that Edward is a vampire."
EDWARD: "I am infatuated with you, too, and I am a vampire."
BELLA: "Let's be awkward together." (she turns to the camera) "I am still unaware that Edward is a vampire."
EDWARD: "I completely agree, and I am very clearly a vampire."
(EDWARD does vampirey things.)
BELLA: "Thank you for saving my life."
EDWARD: "No problem, and I am a vampire."
BELLA: (to the camera) "I am beginning to suspect that Edward is not human."
EDWARD: "I am a vampire."
BELLA: "Are you a superhero?"
EDWARD: "No, I am a vampire."
BELLA: "What are you then?"
EDWARD: "I am not the good guy; I am the bad guy." (he turns to the camera) "That was a lie. I am very much the good guy." (he turns back to Bella) "Specifically, I am a vampire."
BELLA: (to the camera) "I am beginning to suspect that Edward is a vampire."

JACOB: "Hello, Bella, and I am very clearly a werewolf. Look at my wacky canines."
BELLA: "What do you have against Edward, anyway?"
JACOB: "I am a werewolf."
BELLA: "I am convinced that you are a normal human being."
JACOB: "Everyone in my tribe is a werewolf. I am in my tribe; I am also a werewolf. We are all werewolves."
BELLA: "I have no reason to believe that you are more than human."

And what exactly is Bella's problem? Why does she fall head-over-heels with an anti-social, almost preternaturally awkward, whiny, mascara-wearing emo cunt?

lord_day

I guess the guy who wrote XKCD was right. You can't be too stupid for youtube.

brocerius

When i say 'Abortion is murder' i mean just that; it is the taking of life - in that, from conception, a fetus is as definably life as is a bacteria, a puppy, or Stephen Hawking. This is how i think it differs from contraception, masturbation, and not screwing Dave.

Blue_Tetris quotes (all taken from a topic on abortion)

Eating vegetables instead of meat lowers your sperm count, clearly killing potential children. Vegetarians are murderers.

If a chair comes into my house and I don't want it there, I do everything in my power to remove it. What makes you think you have more rights than a chair when you go into someone else's home unannounced?

If I'm sleeping around without a condom, I'm likely to have a child too. When I wear a condom, I prevent the likely child I would have. Condoms are for murderers. I'm good at picking up dates and getting them into the sack, so if I restrain myself from going clubbing then I am prventing a potential child. Non-socialites are murderers.

GTM

What ever happened to the purpose of Christmas anyway, I thought it was about elves smacking each other over the head with a shovel whilst Santa drank whisky and egged them on.

I give you a laser printer and set it to stun

Tsukatu

Deathconsciousness: "Deism is closer to atheism than theism."
Demonz: "Oh? How's that?"
Deathconsciousness: "Well, deism is the belief that there's a-"
Demonz: *grabs airhorn* *FNNNRRRRRRRRTT*
Deathconsciousness: "..."
Demonz: *puts down airhorn* "Sorry, you were saying?"
Deathconsciousness: "...a being that created the uni-"
Demonz: *grabs airhorn* *FNNNRRRRRRRRTT*
Deathconsciousness: "..."
Demonz: *puts down airhorn* "Please continue."
Deathconsciousness: "Are you going to let me finish this time?"
Demonz: "Given that I had to stop you twice just now in the same sentence, I don't think that's likely."
*Tsukatu wanders in*
Tsukatu: "Anyone seen my airhorn?"
Demonz: "Yeah, it's right here. I needed to borrow it for a sec. I knew you wouldn't mind."
Tsukatu: "Oh, yeah, that's fine. I'm just about to head into the Okay With Gays thread."
Demonz: "Here you go." *hands Tsukatu the airhorn*
Tsukatu: "Thanks." *exits the thread*
Demonz: "Where were we?"
Deathconsciousness: "I was saying how atheists also believe th-"
Demonz: "AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!"
Deathconsciousness: (startled) "What was that?"
Demonz: "Sorry, I don't have the airhorn anymore. Do go on."
Deathconsciousness: "..."
*an airhorn sounds in a nearby thread*

deathconsciousness

a lack of belief is still a belief that something in itself is lacking. please dont be arrogant.

demonzlunchbreak

What the jesus balls are you talking about?


Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 1596
Joined: 2008.09.26 (13:10)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Troy, New York
Contact:

Postby unoriginal name » 2009.01.02 (16:25)

I was sorta right, but you guys added so much more. Great work.
spoiler

[url]slappy-mcgee-blowjob-sandwich[/url]


Tetris
Posts: 4
Joined: 2009.01.02 (14:04)

Postby Indigo » 2009.01.03 (00:38)

Sounds legendary!

*Downloads*

... wait, what do I even do with this!?

User avatar
Hawaii Five-Oh
Posts: 921
Joined: 2008.09.26 (05:49)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/condog_111
MBTI Type: ISTJ
Location: Melbourne-ish

Postby Condog » 2009.01.03 (00:41)

Awesome.
Image

Ice Climbers are awesome. Deal with it.

Life Time Achievement Award
Posts: 253
Joined: 2008.11.11 (23:53)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/browse?q=author:Brainwasher
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Around the usual places.

Postby Brainwasher » 2009.01.03 (01:56)

a round of applause, but one of the files is "broken"

in the original packs folder, the origins file is busted, replacing all stops (placed by pressing enter) with showcode squares. Not really a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know.

Now then, *playplayplayplay inhale playplayplayplay exhale*
Now back from life.

Image

User avatar
Cowboy Magician
Posts: 508
Joined: 2008.09.23 (13:07)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/wedgie123
MBTI Type: ENTJ
Location: Essex, England

Postby wedgie » 2009.01.03 (03:05)

Indigo wrote:Sounds legendary!

*Downloads*

... wait, what do I even do with this!?

You play through it, and enjoy it's awesomely awesome levels.

Yet Another Harshad
Posts: 485
Joined: 2008.09.26 (19:27)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/skyline356
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Connecticut

Postby Skyling » 2009.01.03 (03:09)

This levelpack is really a great idea! I think that there were many fantastic levels, but there were also plenty of bland or simply unfun levels. I think it would be definitely interesting to see some Legacy levels that delve into a more modern and stylish mapping method! I guess you can't really expect to have 1,000 perfect levels in a 1,000 level map pack. :p
Image

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
Posts: 1540
Joined: 2008.09.19 (12:19)
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ
Location: Huntington, WV
Contact:

Postby Kablizzy » 2009.01.03 (03:25)

Such is the essence of the episodic pack. You've got to have some fillers in somewhere.

Edit: And hey, you never know. We might delve into those strange, wacky waters someday. In fact, we might be doing it sooner than you think.
Image
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

User avatar
Queen of All Spiders
Posts: 4263
Joined: 2008.09.29 (03:54)
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP
Location: Quebec, Canada!
Contact:

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.01.03 (03:59)

I AM THE FIRST ONE TO DISCOVER THE HIDDEN MAPS.

Let it be known.
Loathes

User avatar
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: 2008.11.09 (16:12)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maximo
Contact:

Postby innuendo » 2009.01.03 (04:39)

I'll be bold enough to say I don't like the modern mapping styles. Too much emphasis on stupid crap like flashy tiles, too little focus on gameplay and fluidity. E tiles and 1 slopes are just simpler to navigate, and as such produce more gameplay options. The emphasis on flashy tiles and things of that nature really detract from the gameplay, no matter how well executed they are.

@ Slappy: OMG HIDDEN!

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
Posts: 1540
Joined: 2008.09.19 (12:19)
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ
Location: Huntington, WV
Contact:

Postby Kablizzy » 2009.01.03 (04:51)

Hidden maps? No such thing, sir.
Image
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

User avatar
Yet Another Harshad
Posts: 463
Joined: 2008.09.26 (13:23)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/lord_day
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby lord_day » 2009.01.03 (12:55)

innuendo wrote:I'll be bold enough to say I don't like the modern mapping styles. Too much emphasis on stupid crap like flashy tiles, too little focus on gameplay and fluidity. E tiles and 1 slopes are just simpler to navigate, and as such produce more gameplay options. The emphasis on flashy tiles and things of that nature really detract from the gameplay, no matter how well executed they are.


I disagree very much.

Not all maps need flow or decent navigational options to make them fun. There are plenty other ways to make a map fun, and I don't think enough of them are employed in maps these days. However, some maps do rely on how easily the ninja moves through the level to achieve their quota of fun and a good map maker can make a level fluid and fun, while still maintaining 'flashy' tiles. It takes real skill to get a good balance of aesthetics and gameplay. Maps that mainly rely on E tiles and 1 tiles are often boring and bland. To say that good looking tiles detract from gameplay, no matter how well executed they are is pretty ridiculous; tiles often add to the atmosphere of a map, and increase the fun you have while playing them.

At the same time, just because you can zip around a map fluidly, doesn't automatically make it fun. It soon becomes repetitive, as we have all played thousands of maps like that before. Anyone can make a map that has been made before, but it is much harder to make a map that has never been made before. And it is extremely enjoyable to play a map you have never played before, which is why we covet them so highly.
Image

User avatar
La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
Posts: 2228
Joined: 2008.09.19 (14:27)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2009.01.03 (12:59)

[Add a comment here!]
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Image

User avatar
Phei Phei Pho Phum
Posts: 1456
Joined: 2008.09.26 (12:28)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ
Location: New Jersey

Postby Pheidippides » 2009.01.03 (23:47)

I guess I'm one of the vigilant. ;)
Image
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps

User avatar
Intel 80486
Posts: 488
Joined: 2008.09.29 (04:14)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epigone
Location: Iowa

Postby epigone » 2009.01.05 (06:14)

lord_day wrote:
innuendo wrote:I'll be bold enough to say I don't like the modern mapping styles. Too much emphasis on stupid crap like flashy tiles, too little focus on gameplay and fluidity. E tiles and 1 slopes are just simpler to navigate, and as such produce more gameplay options. The emphasis on flashy tiles and things of that nature really detract from the gameplay, no matter how well executed they are.


I disagree very much.

Not all maps need flow or decent navigational options to make them fun. There are plenty other ways to make a map fun, and I don't think enough of them are employed in maps these days. However, some maps do rely on how easily the ninja moves through the level to achieve their quota of fun and a good map maker can make a level fluid and fun, while still maintaining 'flashy' tiles. It takes real skill to get a good balance of aesthetics and gameplay. Maps that mainly rely on E tiles and 1 tiles are often boring and bland. To say that good looking tiles detract from gameplay, no matter how well executed they are is pretty ridiculous; tiles often add to the atmosphere of a map, and increase the fun you have while playing them.

At the same time, just because you can zip around a map fluidly, doesn't automatically make it fun. It soon becomes repetitive, as we have all played thousands of maps like that before. Anyone can make a map that has been made before, but it is much harder to make a map that has never been made before. And it is extremely enjoyable to play a map you have never played before, which is why we covet them so highly.

Don't listen to lord_day, he is a terrible mapmaker. Ugh. /sarc
Member of the Metanet Forum community since June 3rd, 2006.


The Best of Epigone

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
Posts: 1540
Joined: 2008.09.19 (12:19)
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ
Location: Huntington, WV
Contact:

Postby Kablizzy » 2009.01.05 (10:52)

I'm not nearly as fervent as maximo on his quest for the old-school map, but the problem with the newer mapping style is that it is indeed all the same. There's no innovation on NUMA these days, and that's a large part of why we try so hard to innovate on every map. Now, with nearly 1500 maps released, obviously there's going to be a large number of fillers. Although we made every attempt to pull the fillers and replace those with maps that were unique, innovative, and thought-provoking; we simply can't please everyone with every map. Even within Legacy, there were maps that every last one of us disagreed upon; take Brambles and Shambles, for instance. By metanet standards, it's an awful map, but now that I look back upon it - It's perhaps the most recognizable map in the pack in terms of gameplay, structure, flow, and theme.

I don't like modern mapping styles for the same reason lord_day doesn't like old ones - They can get stale rather easily. Look through NUMA some day and just browse the thumbnails. Take a look at how exacting the similarities are. Go back through the Metanet maps now that you've played through all of Legacy - It's horrendous how different maps are now from where we were then. I'd say Brad and I are perhaps the most boring Legacy mappers, and he and I make the most Metanet-esque maps, stylistically.

With that said, though, if you look at the Metanet maps, a lot of them are fillers, by today's standards - Most are aesthetically horrible, none adhere to any semblance of what we'd call Modern Map theory, and honestly, this last run-through, I realized that we were enthralled by the Metanet maps through amazement with the game moreso than we were ever fans of the maps themselves. I've said it often - If the Metanet maps went up on NUMA under a new author, the maps wouldn't break 3 in most cases.

But what we strived for with the Legacy packs was primarily theme - There are only a handful of maps that I can think of that don't fit the Legacy theme and the Legacy credo; Butterdoodle from the Origins pack jumps to mind. The other thing we made big was perfecting static things about the maps - Not so much map *Style* as map *Execution* - Style is a matter of preference, but Execution is certainly something that can be perfected. And that's really what we went for - Each map with a noticeable theme, and execute each map better than any other mapper can execute. And that's perhaps the biggest advantage of having fourteen people working towards the same goal - particularly with everyone as skilled as they are.

But the thing that baffles me about it is that I've seen so many people in the community who could do precisely the same thing as we've done, and haven't. Each person operates individually so well, but no one has done anything near what the Legacy Team has done, and I've always been so sad to see that. Honestly, if you look at Legacy, all we've had going for us are ideas. We come up with ideas - Dave's an idea-man, I'm an idea-man, LV is an idea-man, KA is an idea-man, Sweep was an idea-man, atob is an idea-man, Sendy is an idea-woman... And so on. We all have our niches to fill, and we all fill those nicely, but more than anything, we brainstorm. And that's really all it's ever taken for us. Remember the It's Your Legacy? Well, I guess most of you don't - Our new registration this year alone has been nuts.

But seriously. We had 20 people on Vent the other day, and they all conglomerated around the same places we were in. I'd like to see four people playing Worms and four people doing Wikitrivia, while four people Vent map. We've started to become disjointed again, and I think we should come together a bit once more. Everything here has turned into a very top-down environment, whereas I'd really enjoy seeing larger personalities do more things independently. And granted, perhaps it's our fault for shoving everyone with influence into mod spots and Legacy positions - way back when, the only Legacy member that wasn't a mod was Lucidium, and that was followed directly by krusch. Now it's varied quite a bit, but it's still very top-down. So many people just aren't idea-driven, and maybe we've taken all of the ideas, and there just aren't any left. Right? :roll:

But anyway, the other thing that I've struggled with are things like Webcomic of the Year. When Dave was running it, he didn't get nominated for it because it was too dominant. He purposefully was taken out of the running because his webcomic was too good. That sucks, man. I know he doesn't care about winning or not winning a Dronie, but still. It's nice to recognize the most influential guy in the community from time to time. The Legacy was almost taken out of the running insofar as Map-pack of the year, just so that people would "have a chance" to win a Dronie. But do we realize how much effort Dave put in to The Real N? I mean, the projects around here are great, but did anyone put that kind of effort into their comic? A few, I'd say, but something magical happened with The Real N. So magical that it was too magical.

Odd reasoning there. So, I dunno. Why doesn't anyone else ever post these rants? I'd like to see someone else post one of these sometime, but it doesn't happen for some odd reason. I know we all see it, but even something so simple as this can sometimes skyrocket the community into a frenzy of activity. Hell, I don't even know how this erupted into a rant, or what kind of sense I may or may not be making at the moment, but I know it's inspired by something. Anyway, mumble mumble keep contributing! =D
Image
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

User avatar
Loquacious
Posts: 1764
Joined: 2008.09.26 (15:37)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Guitar_Hero_Matt
Location: lacks whiskers of mass destruction.

Postby MattKestrel » 2009.01.05 (11:15)

The ninja histogram's interesting, in that the ninja mostly starts either on the floor or in the middle column :P
Image

User avatar
Demon Fisherman
Posts: 1265
Joined: 2008.09.19 (06:28)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.01.05 (11:54)

Kablizzy wrote:I'm not nearly as fervent as maximo on his quest for the old-school map, but the problem with the newer mapping style is that it is indeed all the same. There's no innovation on NUMA these days, and that's a large part of why we try so hard to innovate on every map. Now, with nearly 1500 maps released, obviously there's going to be a large number of fillers. Although we made every attempt to pull the fillers and replace those with maps that were unique, innovative, and thought-provoking; we simply can't please everyone with every map. Even within Legacy, there were maps that every last one of us disagreed upon; take Brambles and Shambles, for instance. By metanet standards, it's an awful map, but now that I look back upon it - It's perhaps the most recognizable map in the pack in terms of gameplay, structure, flow, and theme.

I don't like modern mapping styles for the same reason lord_day doesn't like old ones - They can get stale rather easily. Look through NUMA some day and just browse the thumbnails. Take a look at how exacting the similarities are. Go back through the Metanet maps now that you've played through all of Legacy - It's horrendous how different maps are now from where we were then. I'd say Brad and I are perhaps the most boring Legacy mappers, and he and I make the most Metanet-esque maps, stylistically.

With that said, though, if you look at the Metanet maps, a lot of them are fillers, by today's standards - Most are aesthetically horrible, none adhere to any semblance of what we'd call Modern Map theory, and honestly, this last run-through, I realized that we were enthralled by the Metanet maps through amazement with the game moreso than we were ever fans of the maps themselves. I've said it often - If the Metanet maps went up on NUMA under a new author, the maps wouldn't break 3 in most cases.

But what we strived for with the Legacy packs was primarily theme - There are only a handful of maps that I can think of that don't fit the Legacy theme and the Legacy credo; Butterdoodle from the Origins pack jumps to mind. The other thing we made big was perfecting static things about the maps - Not so much map *Style* as map *Execution* - Style is a matter of preference, but Execution is certainly something that can be perfected. And that's really what we went for - Each map with a noticeable theme, and execute each map better than any other mapper can execute. And that's perhaps the biggest advantage of having fourteen people working towards the same goal - particularly with everyone as skilled as they are.

But the thing that baffles me about it is that I've seen so many people in the community who could do precisely the same thing as we've done, and haven't. Each person operates individually so well, but no one has done anything near what the Legacy Team has done, and I've always been so sad to see that. Honestly, if you look at Legacy, all we've had going for us are ideas. We come up with ideas - Dave's an idea-man, I'm an idea-man, LV is an idea-man, KA is an idea-man, Sweep was an idea-man, atob is an idea-man, Sendy is an idea-woman... And so on. We all have our niches to fill, and we all fill those nicely, but more than anything, we brainstorm. And that's really all it's ever taken for us. Remember the It's Your Legacy? Well, I guess most of you don't - Our new registration this year alone has been nuts.

But seriously. We had 20 people on Vent the other day, and they all conglomerated around the same places we were in. I'd like to see four people playing Worms and four people doing Wikitrivia, while four people Vent map. We've started to become disjointed again, and I think we should come together a bit once more. Everything here has turned into a very top-down environment, whereas I'd really enjoy seeing larger personalities do more things independently. And granted, perhaps it's our fault for shoving everyone with influence into mod spots and Legacy positions - way back when, the only Legacy member that wasn't a mod was Lucidium, and that was followed directly by krusch. Now it's varied quite a bit, but it's still very top-down. So many people just aren't idea-driven, and maybe we've taken all of the ideas, and there just aren't any left. Right? :roll:

But anyway, the other thing that I've struggled with are things like Webcomic of the Year. When Dave was running it, he didn't get nominated for it because it was too dominant. He purposefully was taken out of the running because his webcomic was too good. That sucks, man. I know he doesn't care about winning or not winning a Dronie, but still. It's nice to recognize the most influential guy in the community from time to time. The Legacy was almost taken out of the running insofar as Map-pack of the year, just so that people would "have a chance" to win a Dronie. But do we realize how much effort Dave put in to The Real N? I mean, the projects around here are great, but did anyone put that kind of effort into their comic? A few, I'd say, but something magical happened with The Real N. So magical that it was too magical.

Odd reasoning there. So, I dunno. Why doesn't anyone else ever post these rants? I'd like to see someone else post one of these sometime, but it doesn't happen for some odd reason. I know we all see it, but even something so simple as this can sometimes skyrocket the community into a frenzy of activity. Hell, I don't even know how this erupted into a rant, or what kind of sense I may or may not be making at the moment, but I know it's inspired by something. Anyway, mumble mumble keep contributing! =D


QFE.

I wish more people would read and understand this.

I was excluded from stuff before I was big enough because "oh, Dave's not big enough in the community yet" and then equally excluded afterward for being "too obvious a pick". But, whatever. I do what I do because I see an impact and an innovation.



To me, Legacy was about map innovation. Legacy is, ultimately, a group of mappers who continued to innovate and make better material over time. If Legacy ever slowed down on projects, it's because there was no need to inundate the community with more content if that content wasn't innovative. I felt like that stuff that was included in Legacy was the stuff that would've also topped the charts of novelty at NUMA. And that's why it's important to notice and promote excellence in innovation where it happens. If NUMA maps could be sifted and refined (perhaps, by forming groups of authors and assembling map packs...), you could isolate and build upon their innovations and successes.

There are new projects around here every day that amaze me and new names crop up from time to time. It's all really great and I feel like I'm starting to notice new people again. Some of the higher ups are jaded and ancient, sure, and sometimes they'll get depressed about things like any other jaded ancient dudes would. But! Stuff really does keep happening around here. New names and projects keep cropping up and new things that the staff is entirely disconnected with keep happening. I constantly hear "Oh, well if Dave thinks it's good..." or whatever; which causes people to vacuously accept certain projects and not others based on their creator or supporters. I'm intrigued when I find out about some big project that was going on right under my nose that I never heard of. I do wonder how people were able to hide it so well from me, given that there's a nice big forum, IRC channel, and Ventrilo server to use.

To clarify: what's chiefly important is that you do your projects openly and as a community. No one benefits when you close off your stuff or try to limit its scope. The IRC is there for you. The Ventrilo server is there for you. These forums are here for you. Use these tools to communicate your projects, ideas, innovations, etc. This isn't some ideadump for The Real N crew, Legacy mappers, the "Ventrilo elite", or what have you. It's a place where ideas become stronger through sharing. And, moreover, it's where new people and new ideas are born and can help replace (or evolve) older ideas. Some map makers are going to need to be here to make packs when people stop making Legacy maps. Some comic-maker is going to need to be here to make something like The Real N Comics when Dave stops making them (two and a half years ago). Someone is going to need to follow up on the Magic: The Gathering tourneys or try to arrange gaming events or try to run a Ventrilo or do their own podcasts or do a myriad things related to the community, both in regards to and beyond the confines of the ninja game.
Image
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

User avatar
The number of seats in an Airbus A380
Posts: 557
Joined: 2008.09.26 (08:29)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Eiturlyf
MBTI Type: ISFP
Location: Iceland!

Postby Eiturlyf » 2009.01.05 (16:43)

A Kablizzy tower post? This is gonna be a good year.
Image
Die Kreatur muss sterben!

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
Posts: 1540
Joined: 2008.09.19 (12:19)
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ
Location: Huntington, WV
Contact:

Postby Kablizzy » 2009.01.05 (21:14)

Dave always says things better. ;_;
Image
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

User avatar
Phei Phei Pho Phum
Posts: 1456
Joined: 2008.09.26 (12:28)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Pheidippides
MBTI Type: ISFJ
Location: New Jersey

Postby Pheidippides » 2009.01.05 (23:54)

I agree with everything Blizz and Dave said. Solis_Team may need to ride again. Or something.
Image
Follow me! @ninjarobotfeidi #nmaps


Return to “This Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests