TED.com

Talk about whatever is on your mind, if it doesn't go anywhere else.
Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby Brocerius » 2009.09.27 (23:16)

They are ideas worth spreading, so I thought I'd spread them.

Here are some of my favourites;
Hans Rosling, Superhero
Morality and stuff
Language and thought
Chemical scum
Immortality in /my/ lifetime?
Transhumanism
To see the full video of that scarily-lifelike movement of the robot, click here. The bit when it slips on ice is particularly amazing.

If you find any other videos really amazing, link them here! Also, general discussion, and that.
-----=======Doubtlessly Dastardly=======-----

Walking on Broken Glass
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/jihad_cowboy

Postby Awesome67 » 2009.09.28 (00:00)

You spelled favorites with a "u". I hate you forever.
Awesome67 Uses Magneto.
spoiler

^Sig By UniverseZero^
Playstation Network Account: WhackySage

"I need to get laid."

Secretariat Ain't Got Nuthin' On This Shit
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.28 (00:01)

Awesome67 wrote:You spelled favorites with a "u". I hate you forever.
Who are you?
mintnut wrote:Oh my life, STRAP ON A PAIR! Get over it, make better maps, innit?
Posts from the old forums: 11,194

Walking on Broken Glass
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/jihad_cowboy

Postby Awesome67 » 2009.09.28 (00:01)

What do you mean?
Awesome67 Uses Magneto.
spoiler

^Sig By UniverseZero^
Playstation Network Account: WhackySage

"I need to get laid."

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/toasters
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby toasters » 2009.09.28 (00:06)

------------------------------------------------------------
/////////////////////// solar beats ///////////////////////

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.28 (10:28)

I love TED talks.
Also, incidentally, they're held very, very near where I live, but I've yet to go through the trouble of figuring out exactly where.

The one talk that came to mind immediately is Tim Ferriss - Smash Fear, Learn Anything.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

dreams slip through our fingers like hott slut sexxx
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Tunco123
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby Tunco » 2009.09.28 (16:15)

Ampersand wrote:
Who are you?
Ahaha. Similarities.
spoiler

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/toasters
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby toasters » 2009.09.28 (20:42)

Tsukatu wrote:I love TED talks.
Also, incidentally, they're held very, very near where I live, but I've yet to go through the trouble of figuring out exactly where.

The one talk that came to mind immediately is Tim Ferriss - Smash Fear, Learn Anything.
They're open to the public?
/////////////////////// solar beats ///////////////////////

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/29403
Steam: What's Steam
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby 29403 » 2009.09.28 (20:48)

Fail.

Nice site!
sig by donfuy.
Not from Charleston, South Carolina
This Forum is probably the best forum that i have ever used and i would just like to say how proud i am to be a member of this forum

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/bobaganuesh_2

Postby bobaganuesh_2 » 2009.09.29 (05:01)

Inspired wrote:
Tunco123 wrote:
Ampersand wrote: Who are you?
Ahaha. Similarities.
New Zealand spelling = Favourites.
as do Canadians, much to KinGAleX's chagrin

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.29 (05:01)

toasters wrote:They're open to the public?
YUP. :DD
Unlike those cunts at Davos, the exorbitant admission fee for TED goes in large part to host all the talks online.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Brocerius » 2009.09.29 (10:50)

Yeah, I hear it's £4300 to get in! Jesus.

@Inspired; Yeah, Aubrey de Grey is pretty awesome. His work could change the world pretty fundamentally - if it has any truth behind it.

Any budding gerontologists out there might want to check out the Methuselah Mouse Prize.

And his claims are pretty extreme - that the worlds first 1000-year-old may be alive today? That means he is very confident that the worlds first 1000-year-old human will exist at all.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby aids » 2009.09.30 (01:59)

Brocerius wrote:Hans Rosling, Superhero
I've seen this before, but the facts are still amazing.
Brocerius wrote:Morality and stuff
The part about the sweatshirt is interesting.
Brocerius wrote:Language and thought
Boring, I exited halfway through.
Brocerius wrote:Chemical scum
As soon as he said, "the theory of evolution - or creation as it was once thought" I closed out of it. That's like a minute in.
His beard scared me and he failed to persuade me to listen.
Brocerius wrote:Transhumanism
The guy had some interesting ideas, but the BigDog was amazing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/keith_barry_do ... magic.html

:O

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Brocerius » 2009.09.30 (16:30)

Kablizzy Sucks wrote:
As soon as he said, "the theory of evolution - or creation as it was once thought" I closed out of it. That's like a minute in.
What? I've tried to understand this statement, but it doesnt seem to fit anything. Are you a religious person who is offended by the fact that the theory of evolution has replaced creationism in scientific study? Are you an atheist who is offended by a mention of a history that you would like to forget? What?

In fact, just about everything said in that post made me say 'What?!' in my head... 0_o

About the barry guy, that aspect of mentalism is fascinating. If you would like to learn it yourself, you should check out Paul Ekmans work with Microexpressions, and check out Igor Ledochowski for good lessons on hypnosis that are easily understandable. After that, learn some sleight of hand, and a hell of a lot of statistics. Shazam!

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.30 (19:46)

Kablizzy Sucks wrote:[to borign, needs xploshions]
"Language and Thought" was awesome, philistine.
spoiler

Admin
Admin

Postby aids » 2009.09.30 (23:17)

Brocerius wrote:
Kablizzy Sucks wrote:
What? I've tried to understand this statement, but it doesnt seem to fit anything. Are you a religious person who is offended by the fact that the theory of evolution has replaced creationism in scientific study? Are you an atheist who is offended by a mention of a history that you would like to forget? What?

In fact, just about everything said in that post made me say 'What?!' in my head... 0_o
I was offended that he naturally assumed that everyone watching was an evolutionist. I'm a Catholic, thus a creationist. I don't feel like wasting my time listening to him.
Tsukatu wrote:
Kablizzy Sucks wrote:[to borign, needs xploshions]
"Language and Thought" was awesome, philistine.
Well, I got to the part about the two types of verbs, and I said to myself, "Duh. I knew that." There was nothing compelling about his argument.

//--^.^--\\

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.01 (01:37)

Kablizzy Sucks wrote:I was offended that he naturally assumed that everyone watching was an evolutionist. I'm a Catholic, thus a creationist. I don't feel like wasting my time listening to him.
Ahahaha!!
Religiosity sharply declines with education. The National Academy of Sciences is > 90% atheist. Fucking deal.
spoiler

Admin
Admin

Postby aids » 2009.10.01 (05:26)

Tsukatu wrote:
Kablizzy Sucks wrote:I was offended that he naturally assumed that everyone watching was an evolutionist. I'm a Catholic, thus a creationist. I don't feel like wasting my time listening to him.
Ahahaha!!
Religiosity sharply declines with education. The National Academy of Sciences is > 90% atheist. Fucking deal.
So all stupid people are not religious? I fail to see how that applies. By the way, what the hell is the National Academy of Sciences and why would I care about it?

//--^.^--\\

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.01 (18:44)

Kablizzy Sucks wrote:
Tsukatu wrote:
Ahahaha!!
So all stupid people are not religious? I fail to see how that applies. By the way, what the hell is the National Academy of Sciences and why would I care about it?
Ha, no, I just think it's completely unfounded to be offended by the assumption on the part of the TED speakers that the audience subscribes to the Theory of Evolution, considering that TED is a conference for intellectuals and that any talk that touches on biological evolution is going to be given by a prominent scientist to an audience that has a largely scientific background. Since belief in Creationism drops off like a lead fucking weight as soon as you go up the ladder of education and scientific background, you should be surprised if they act like the matter is even contested anymore, even if it's just to be nice.

More than anything else, I thought that the fact that you closed the video in righteous anger was hysterical (despite the fact that you saw exactly what you should have expected to see), secure that you must be more knowledgeable about biology than a highly esteemed post-grad who was invited to talk at TED. It's so hilariously closed-minded, not to mention typical.

You: "Hm, this seems interesting..."
TED Speaker: "...before the brain evolved int--"
You: "NOPE NOT GONNA LEARN ANYTHING NEW HERE" *close*
spoiler

Albany, New York

Postby jean-luc » 2009.10.02 (02:07)

Adam Savage's speech on obsession is brilliant, I highly recommend it.
-- I might be stupid, but that's a risk we're going to have to take. --
Website! Photography! Robots! Facebook!
The latest computers from Japan can also perform magical operations.

Admin
Admin

Postby aids » 2009.10.02 (03:15)

Tsukatu wrote:More than anything else, I thought that the fact that you closed the video in righteous anger was hysterical (despite the fact that you saw exactly what you should have expected to see), secure that you must be more knowledgeable about biology than a highly esteemed post-grad who was invited to talk at TED. It's so hilariously closed-minded, not to mention typical.

You: "Hm, this seems interesting..."
TED Speaker: "...before the brain evolved int--"
You: "NOPE NOT GONNA LEARN ANYTHING NEW HERE" *close*
His exact words:
David Douche, er, I mean Deutsch wrote: ...our solar system or whatever is uniquely suited to sustain our evolution - or creation as it used to be thought *snicker* - and our present existence, and most important, our future survival.
You know, I might have actually watched the video if he hadn't included the smirk. It was like a slap to the face for me, saying, "Since you're not in my presence, I can make fun of you."

//--^.^--\\

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2009.10.02 (04:10)

Tsukatu: "Hahaha! A creationist got offended by a scientist talking about evolution! Lemme caricature it..."
KS: "No, see, it was offensive because—"
Tsukatu: "NOPE NOT GONNA LEARN ANYTHING NEW HERE" *close*

I know you've got a minor in Imitative Douchebaggery, so I just thought I would even out the playing field a bit.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.03 (01:45)

Wight wrote:Tsukatu: "Hahaha! A creationist got offended by a scientist talking about evolution! Lemme caricature it..."
KS: "No, see, it was offensive because—"
Tsukatu: "NOPE NOT GONNA LEARN ANYTHING NEW HERE" *close*

I know you've got a minor in Imitative Douchebaggery, so I just thought I would even out the playing field a bit.
Nah, you've never really gotten the hang of it, though. In order for this to be accurate, I'd've stopped participating in this discussion. I'd've left instead of checking here excitedly for more stupid shit to comment on.
Besides which, I didn't even need a caricature to start off, because he already provided exactly the stereotype I found hilarious.
Kablizzy Sucks wrote:His exact words:
David Douche, er, I mean Deutsch wrote:...our solar system or whatever is uniquely suited to sustain our evolution - or creation as it used to be thought *snicker* - and our present existence, and most important, our future survival.
You know, I might have actually watched the video if he hadn't included the smirk. It was like a slap to the face for me, saying, "Since you're not in my presence, I can make fun of you."
Oh, come on. You should've known what to expect coming in.
I feel rather strongly that vi is superior to emacs, and so I would be out of place going to an emacs convention because I expect that most people will quite strongly disagree with me. I know what I'm getting into, so it doesn't make sense for me to storm out at the first instance of someone cracking a joke about vi. It also doesn't make the misguided emacs user (excuse the redundancy) any less correct about whatever he's talking about.
Or if you want a less hypothetical example, a particular coworker of mine is a huge fan of Apple, Inc. He also administrates the campus supercomputer. I happen to think that administrating a cluster the Apple way strips you of a significant amount of power, builds too heavy a reliance on a GUI, and gives a skewed representation of what's going on under the hood. As such, I prefer to use a terminal and do things the UNIX way when I'm forced to use a Mac, or just use Linux and not bother with involving myself with Apple products in the first place. But when he gives a lecture about some niche area of administrating the cluster's file system through a tool Apple built, and he invites us to the Mac lab to participate, then the most I'll do as he makes frequent wisecracks about Linux geeks ("Linux users get laid as often as they need to reboot") is give him dirty looks. It would be completely unreasonable for me to get righteously offended over an expected disagreement and leave.

More importantly, I've done this with TED videos, and other lectures besides, in which I had a sudden, massive disagreement with the speaker and was incensed that he'd be so dismissive about it. The worst I've ever done is give my computer monitor a dirty look and continue listening while taking the rest of the lecture with a grain of salt.
spoiler

Admin
Admin

Postby aids » 2009.10.03 (04:53)

Yeah, I didn't really understand you, but I'm not that interested in this anyway. I don't like that guy, so be it. Also, I only watched the video because it was posted, and the information for it was pretty vague.

//--^.^--\\

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite

Postby Brocerius » 2009.10.03 (19:34)

Hilarious as this argument is, I would like to pop my head in briefly to say "Also, that video is one of the most interesting, and at no further point in it does any theological argument arise or get mocked." In the hope that Kablizzy Sucks can take something from this.

Also, a few more links;
awesome Wii gadgetry
awesome software
awesome touchscreen
(and a thanks for the people posting other videos).