Freeze After Restarting Level While Song is Changing

Need technical support? Get it here.
These Go Up to 11

Postby MMDE » 2015.11.23 (00:35)

I sometimes get a couple of freezes when the music is changing. It was never a problem before, but now it has become a more frequent issue. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason for it happening, but it's as far as I know, always happening while the music is changing after restarting the level. As if it buffers from HDD or something, and this uses too much resources or something. I've not changed HDD and not had any HDD issues. It's the standard PS4 500GB HDD. It doesn't usually happen while I play, but rather right after I have restarted the level, like a half second in or something, and it can happen several times in a row then.

EDIT:
Could it have to do with the game saving to disk too? I'm wondering about this, as it didn't happen before I've beat almost all levels in the game. Done all race and almost all solo. Also, I recommend getting some kind of warning icon when the game is saving, that'd probably make it easier to avoid people turning off their game while the game is saving.

2nd EDIT:
Come to think of it, I actually got a video of it happening!!
http://www.twitch.tv/mmde/v/27212459
See 18:04-15 or something. It happens twice then. I'm sure it happens more times in this video as well. It happens when I don't stream too!

3rd EDIT:
It happens all the time for me now. Whenever I restart the level while the music is changing, it will freeze for like a half second after the level has been reset. If I reset it again while the music is changing, it will happen again. Very annoying, and it happens pretty much every time now. I think it may happen during Editor as well.

Alive

Postby Mike » 2015.12.06 (19:35)

I've had this issue before but usually after playing one level repeatedly with frequent restarts (setting records usually). I found that the problem persists for about 5 or 6 restarts, then goes away. When I see it happen, I just let my ninja stand still for a few seconds unpaused (he hates that), and the problem goes away immediately on the next restart. So for me it's just a minor nuisance. With that said, I've never had the issue "all the time" as described in the first post, so perhaps the issue is slightly different for some people. Sounds like a nightmare to debug.

These Go Up to 11

Postby MMDE » 2015.12.06 (23:13)

Mike wrote:I've had this issue before but usually after playing one level repeatedly with frequent restarts (setting records usually). I found that the problem persists for about 5 or 6 restarts, then goes away. When I see it happen, I just let my ninja stand still for a few seconds unpaused (he hates that), and the problem goes away immediately on the next restart. So for me it's just a minor nuisance. With that said, I've never had the issue "all the time" as described in the first post, so perhaps the issue is slightly different for some people. Sounds like a nightmare to debug.
Yeah, it happens every time I restart while a new random song is being buffered (between two songs). And yes, just standing still, waiting until it's done the initial buffering and the music has started playing, helps, but that doesn't make it any less of a constant annoyance when you play hard levels you restart quite often. I think this is why I haven't noticed it before, because the earlier levels, you rarely reset. I've had at least one other very active player tell me they had the same issue.

Just not restarting before the song has buffered would solve the issue. Allowing restart, for then just to freeze it for a little while like a half second after I start the level is very annoying.