Unfinished business

Discuss aspects of the community itself and talk about the people and ideas that make this place work.
Doublemember

Postby formica » 2010.06.12 (17:14)

So I was kind wondering about whether or not to write this, because I know that it's the sort of thing that would make Atramentis face- slap pretty hard if he ever decided to visit the forum on another death anniversary occasion or something like that. But meh, why not. No big either way. Anyway, this is a sort- of apology for faking somebody's death and a sort- of manifesto on not taking things seriously, sort- of discussion about online communities, and a sort- of autobiographical ramble I might as well put out into the internet.

I started playing N... man, I can't remember. A long time ago. 2003 or something, back when the five column version had just come out. The beginning of year 9, I think, and I'm third year uni right now. I played it a bit, not much, for a few weeks. And then this girl I'd been crushing on for over two years decided to go out with a sort- of friend of mine, at a time when I only really had sort- of friends. A pretty big deal if you're a hormonal- as- fuck young teenage boy and at one point the two of you seemed to be hitting it off and you'd wanted to go out with her for years. I went home, tried not to cry, and played N instead. A lot of N. And over the next few days I finished it. Back then I didn't know about Ned, so I forgot about it for a while.

At some point I discovered Numa and Ned, got really excited, and made Towerful, my first map. And I remember Kablizzy was the first person to make a comment, and was kind and helpful and it seemed really nice. This age was pretty miserable for me, the socially retarded loner school kid I was. I was actually on friendly terms with most people, but there wasn't anywhere I fit, so I spent my time at school pretty much isolated and alone, and I was filled with over- dramatic parental angst, so I was pretty much lonely most of the time. NUMA, and eventually the Metanet Forums, started becoming my social life. Something I was invested in, and cared about, and looked forward to way too much. And the weird thing was how much it felt like a community. I think it might have been something to do with how the community evolved- around a small group of people who had been there from the start- but iunno. In any case, it was relatively big, and new members were joining all the time, but it was managed by this group of mods and old- timers who participated, got to know people, and grounded everything, and it somehow worked really well.

I'm a bit hazy about the order of what happened next in my life- at some point I met this other girl, from a different school, and we got talking, and we flirted, and we started seeing each other most weekends for six months. Then, inexplicably, after we go to a comedy show together and I resolve that the next time I see her I'll ask her out, she disappears off the face of the earth. This corresponds to another peak of activity on NUMA and the forums.

One lunch time I was working on an essay in the library, got bored, and decided to design a trap- filled pyramid level I never ended up submitting, and this kid in the year above me with ridiculously long hair, tied neatly back in a ponytail, wonders over and is all "oh. Wow. You know about N and Ned." I say something along the lines of "Yeah, it's awesome. Do you know about NUMA?", and it emerges that we both know each other's online persona. He's pretty much one of the most interesting people I've met. (This is still true. I've never met anybody else with a mind that works even remotely like his, and the times we spend programming text- based zombie birthday adventures or playing Mahjong in formal attire and talking about human centipedes have led to some of the weirdest and most interesting conversations I've ever had.) Very gradually he becomes a friend, and very gradually I accumulate other friends, and the groups overlap and intermingle and I wind up with a real- life community of people around me, but not for a few years yet.

The first girl I mentioned, who I was still hung up on, breaks up with her boyfriend and is left partner- less for the school debutante ball. Being more or less the only guy left in the year level without a date, she asks me. The next five months of dance practice are confusing as hell, and we seem to get close- as friends, or possibly something else, or possibly just friends, and the whole thing ends with a respectable portion of the year level believing we're together and a few people who know we aren't telling me she's probably into me and I should ask her out. I ask her to meet up over the holidays. Long story short, she turns me down, and I retreat into the metanet community again.

I'm also a pretty horrible member of said community. Self- righteous, arrogant, taking myself and everything way too seriously... everything I've reread on NUMA from myself back then is so bloody cringe- worthy. I couldn't understand why some of the people were idolised so much by everybody, how the forum dynamic worked, why (to me) so many people were so shitty and irritating and self- righteous, arrogant, doucheish, but still universally loved. I'd get huffy and leave. And come back. And leave. And come back. And leave. And the joke wore thin really quickly.

Re- enter second girl, six months of not- quite dating, and then the relationship I'm still in. Also a real- life group of people I was friends with, and happier times in general. And then enter Atramentis' idea on day that, for lols, we fake his death.

I didn't want anything to do with the community any more. I hated the way it felt like it was sucking my life and how seriously I was taking it when I was beginning to understand it wasn't anything worth taking seriously. So we did. And we both felt kinda shit about it right afterwards, but then it started being funny, and now it's a neat piece of shared history. And for once I didn't feel like I needed NUMA or the Metanet Forums or anything like that. I had a girl who was about to become my girlfriend, I had friends, and I didn't have any need for an online community at all. Anyway, faking Atramentis' death taught me how to stop taking everything so seriously, which was actually a pretty neat life lesson.

I was clean for a few months, and then some stuff came up, to do with her acting and my jealousy and all of these hang- ups I had about all of the stuff she had to do on- screen. This recurred. A lot. And it took the better part of four years of being together before I could move past it to the point where it's not an issue any more. And I was miserable and lonely and filled with angst, so I came back. And then, you know, I loosened up, became less socially retarded, friendships developed more, I left the horrible atmosphere and connotations of school, and I stopped needing a virtual community. So I stopped logging on. And then Jared had the idea that, for lols, we reveal that we faked his death on his two year death day anniversary. A few laughs are had, and that's it. No more Metanet for 2 years.

I came back this time because the flat- out most beautiful (and French- speaking!) girl I'd ever seen, and the girl I'd spent some months sorta flirting with in a not- serious way moved overseas, and even though I loved the life I have living with my current girlfriend, it brought back all of these familiar high- school feelings. And the last time I'd had them, I'd doused them in N. So I thought, for laughs, I might as well try the same thing. Whatever. It was actually quite a bit of fun, but I'm over it now, and I'm not really having any fun arranging tiles and drones any more.

And I realised a few things:
1. Even when I wasn't faking a friend's death, I was such a dick.
2. I'm not a dick any more.
3. What an amazing accomplishment the Metanet community was in the first place.

Kurt Vonnegut wrote some interesting essays about loneliness in the modern, market- driven world, and how he thinks people deal with it- religious communities, drug culture, large families, and a bunch of other stuff. I think internet communities are partly another aspect of this. I could never meet any of my family beyond my parents and sister. I was a socially retarded loner in high- school without any close friends. I wasn't religious. And, correspondingly, this one weird internet community would up filling everything, and becoming this disproportionately huge part of my life. And I only really think I understand why now.

Anyway. Self- indulgent autobiography over, there are a few things I want to say-
1. Jesus christ I was a dick. I mean, seriously. What the hell was wrong with me?
2. What metanet had- any maybe still has, iunno- is pretty damn amazing. I don't really care if I'm a part of it any more, but still. It's really cool to think that a place like this can exist inside the internet.
3. There was never much to be pissed off about. I had this screwed up idea of NUMA and the forums, and- well- Jesus. I was such a dick.
4. Hey, sorry about that whole FAKING SOMEBODY'S DEATH ONLINE thing. That probably wasn't cool.

I'll probably do my part for Vehemence and then be off for a bit. Catch you all the next time a pretty girl or pretty guy makes me sad.

Thanks for being.

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2010.06.12 (17:22)

blue_tetris, January 20, 2006 wrote:(Apology response #4)

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Your apology is greatly appreciated. Thank you for having the courage and conviction to make amends for your previous errors. You can rest assure that we in the community have forgiven you for insulting members/hacking the forums/ruining NUMA/making a big whiny scene/injuring a fellow forum member. We invite you to return to the community!

We understand that your mistake may have been brought about by external conditions outside of your control. We accept that your experience with girl problems/alcoholism/existential crisis/death/mourning/menstruation/suicide attempt/sports event/psychotic disorder/drug addiction/divorce provoked your inappropriate actions and we wish you help in getting through this tough time in your life. We encourage you to seek help/get over it/quit being hysterical/act responsibly like the rest of us do when we get drunk/stay off the Internet when you're experiencing life problems that may make you behave against your best intentions/go mountain climbing and await your return back into the community.

We understand that you may think you've lost respect within the community. This is not the case. We encourage you to keep all your judgments about how we think to yourself, as it demeans our intellect and makes us feel as though we have no free will.

Again, thank you for your apologetic post. We eagerly anticipate your return to the community!
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2010.06.12 (17:53)

Touching. Apology accepted.

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2010.06.12 (20:58)

How are we still talking about this?
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2010.06.12 (23:53)

It was a deliberate wait so we can get another injection of forum drama. Next on the schedule is a flying pony parade.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset

Postby Sunset » 2010.06.13 (03:10)

I'm glad everything settled down for you. I'm still a social reject wherever the hell I go, whether it be NUMA or real life. I'll always be that one asshole to everyone online and offline.

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Kablizzy » 2010.06.13 (04:52)

In all fairness, Towerfull was a really, *really* shitty map.
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Kablizzy » 2010.06.13 (05:08)

Anyway, Teedle, you and me had (what I thought to be) some genuine, touching reparteé via PM way back when. And then I got fucked. You fucked me, right in the fuckhole. Also, Jared looks like a gay retard in that spinny-top beanie. Pass it along.

Anyway, dude, did you not notice? This entire place is full of social retards. It's the internet. Nothing about this place has been in the least bit genuine. I think I'm about the only person that's pulled anything significant away from Metanet (In fact, I'd go so far as to say that my entire personal life at the moment has revolved around Metanet), and with as much time, energy, and dedication as I pumped into this place, rightfully so. If anyone deserved to get anything out of this place, it's this guy. And maybe Brickman.
Tsukatu wrote:How are we still talking about this?
I've been making fun of it lately, since Dave's not here to do it.

Anyway, hilarity aside. You guys were dickholes, but that's no reason to leave the community. All the rest of us are pretentious, self-righteous douchebags ourselves. We're all still around. The whole faking death thing is gonna be a running joke until the community dies out, but we all laugh at it, just like we make light of me leaving 400 times, or Pops flipping shit on people, or Clovic's drug addiction, or Skyline's sexual orientation, and on and on. Stick around. We'll make fun of you, but you're a part of this place, whether anyone likes it or not. Keep doing what you've always done, and you'll keep being a marginal-at-best piece of Metanet history.
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/guy_zap
MBTI Type: ISFJ

Postby fawk » 2010.06.13 (05:40)

Apology accepted, though you use hyphens way too much.
Temporary hiatus for learning and shit.

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2010.06.13 (14:19)

I hear Blizz is leaving forever soon. Again.

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ENT474
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby ENT474 » 2010.06.14 (01:19)

DON'T GO. We need at least a few users on here :).
Nmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.net

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Yahoozy
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby  yahoozy » 2010.06.14 (01:28)

Atramentis is... ALIVE?????????????

Subterranean Engineer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Izzy

Postby Izzy » 2010.06.14 (01:29)

ENT474 wrote:DON'T GO. We need at least a few users on here :).
Yeah because we don't have any of those anymore.

Bye Formica.
Derived from ksktorngsig!
I don't think the universe has infinite material though, unless God makes DLC packs. - SkyPanda

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Yahoozy
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby  yahoozy » 2010.06.14 (02:12)

Izzy wrote:
ENT474 wrote:DON'T GO. We need at least a few users on here :).
Yeah because we don't have any of those anymore.

Bye Formica.
I hope you never become a world leader.

Antonio Banderas
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/donfuy
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Donfuy » 2010.06.14 (02:26)

Kablizzy wrote: It's the internet.
I've been correcting people since you made that post and now this. You took all my credibility.

This is not the internet. This is *META*net.

King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/Weisslenny0
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Lenny » 2010.06.20 (10:51)

formica wrote:Hey, sorry about that whole FAKING SOMEBODY'S DEATH ONLINE thing. That probably wasn't cool.
No, not really. I think your monologue would have been a better way to leave, personally.
I feel kind of sorry for you, but more sorry for us, in way; this was a major abuse of trust, and then you just up and leave. But whatever.
Luminaflare wrote:Next on the schedule is a flying pony parade.
Wow! Someone remind me to be here - I don't want to miss the next big thing!

----------------
Now playing: Wendy Carlos - William Tell Overture (Abridged) (2)
via FoxyTunes
ImageImageImage
<&Yanni> I've had an ambient song like this playing for a couple hours,
<&Yanni> Oh no wait that is MY AIR CONDITIONER

-----
<@Animator> :::: Techno was killed by a better music genre.
-----
<SouthyMcGee> Music is auditory art. What art is a different argument.
----
<&sforzando> Alright, no 247MHz for you.

Previous Custom Member Titles: Cross-Country Sticker King 2k10, Doing Out the Girls, Outdoing the Girls, Lenny Laser-Tits, King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits (current).