Reddit

Discuss aspects of the community itself and talk about the people and ideas that make this place work.
The number of Electoral College votes needed to be President of the US.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/santa_hat_crusader

Postby Superpok » 2012.05.06 (20:31)

do we have one?
I've only recently been introduced to Reddit, but since the N community has drastically shrunk it seems, a subreddit seems like it could work very well for a smaller group. Instead of everything being broken up into different pieces throughout these forums, it would be just one central place for the small amount of traffic that happens here. Nice maps and Nreality stuff and highscore contests all on one page. And then it would also be integrated with Reddit so maybe more people would join

I dunno, just a thought
Last edited by Superpok on 2012.05.10 (03:07), edited 1 time in total.
Signature Bars

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ENT474
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby ENT474 » 2012.05.07 (03:30)

I'm kind of meh about it. Everything is pretty much already in here. As to allowing more people, I don't know. Newbies imo are a bit better in larger communities.
Nmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.netNmaps.net

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.07 (20:37)

Interesting thought. And coincidentally, I'm browsing r/funny right now!

This idea could work. The community is small enough for there not to be any profound problems, yet large enough to be (at least somewhat) active. Though, I'm not sure. Just some thoughts of mine.

Radio Douchebag
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Rhekatou

Postby Rhekatou » 2012.05.08 (01:07)

> putting this on /adv/
> saying they can find cheese pizza
> 500 new members

but seriously, a shift would kinda divide the community. between the old forums and the new place. imo what really needs to be done is forum condensation (ie nmapping into n, n theory or whatever it's called in n, etc). Also, with v1.5 coming out soon (inorite?), we'll probably get more people.

wondering if the map structure in v1.5 is going to change. what will numa do D:

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.08 (12:41)

Rhekatou wrote:> putting this on /adv/
> saying they can find cheese pizza
> 500 new members

but seriously, a shift would kinda divide the community. between the old forums and the new place. imo what really needs to be done is forum condensation (ie nmapping into n, n theory or whatever it's called in n, etc). Also, with v1.5 coming out soon (inorite?), we'll probably get more people.

wondering if the map structure in v1.5 is going to change. what will numa do D:
D:

I dunno, if they make the mapping canvas larger, I'll be up for that.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3

Postby aids » 2012.05.08 (12:48)

Sunset wrote:
Rhekatou wrote:wondering if the map structure in v1.5 is going to change. what will numa do D:
D:

They're doing halvsies on tiles, so that drones will be able to patrol 5-tile chimneys and whatnot.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.08 (22:39)

Aidiera wrote:
Sunset wrote:
Rhekatou wrote:wondering if the map structure in v1.5 is going to change. what will numa do D:
D:

They're doing halvsies on tiles, so that drones will be able to patrol 5-tile chimneys and whatnot.
They had better make snap-drones a choice and not just replace regular ones... That'd really ruin a metric _ton_ of maps.

Admin
Admin
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3

Postby aids » 2012.05.09 (00:49)

Sunset wrote:They had better make snap-drones a choice and not just replace regular ones... That'd really ruin a metric _ton_ of maps.
This is a new version of N, remember. 1.3 maps and 1.4 maps aren't the same, so 2.0 maps will be different.

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

Didn't get a name change in the middle of the TF2 thread.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/heatwave21
MBTI Type: INFJ

Postby heatwave » 2012.05.09 (01:17)

Aidiera wrote:
Sunset wrote:They had better make snap-drones a choice and not just replace regular ones... That'd really ruin a metric _ton_ of maps.
This is a new version of N, remember. 1.3 maps and 1.4 maps aren't the same, so 2.0 maps will be different.
This is why amomentlikethis has been tagging his maps with v1.4b since the dawn of time.
spoiler

Part of this community since 2007. — Play Subvein

Bayking

Postby ENT474 » 2012.05.09 (14:38)

heatwave wrote:
Aidiera wrote:
This is why amomentlikethis has been tagging his maps with v1.4b since the dawn of time.
I prefer to see it as "if the map number is below 300000"

Radio Douchebag

Postby Rhekatou » 2012.05.09 (19:45)

ENT474 wrote:
heatwave wrote:
Aidiera wrote: This is why amomentlikethis has been tagging his maps with v1.4b since the dawn of time.
I prefer to see it as "if the map number is below 300000"
lol.

But in reality, 80000 more maps are not coming out before v1.5. Either the community will completely quit N and become a group of old friends hanging around until the forum dies and everyone moves on, or we might get a release. Either way, I'm optimistic.

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.09 (23:30)

Rhekatou wrote: lol.

But in reality, 80000 more maps are not coming out before v1.5. Either the community will completely quit N and become a group of old friends hanging around until the forum dies and everyone moves on, or we might get a release. Either way, I'm optimistic.
That's pretty much what 90% of the community is right now. Where have you been for the past 2 years?

Bayking

Postby ENT474 » 2012.05.10 (00:44)

I wanted a round number. Also, Sunset, have you seen the mapping page? A lot of mapping right now, and old mappers are coming back quickly.

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.10 (00:59)

ENT474 wrote:

I wanted a round number. Also, Sunset, have you seen the mapping page? A lot of mapping right now, and old mappers are coming back quickly.
This is seriously recent. Like, since last month. I'm not even counting that in the timespan that I've put up. It's too short to really count as anything profound in the sense of the time that's lapsed.

But yeah, I've noticed. I came back because the site got its shit together and school ending soon. I'm assuming the others came back for a similar reason, but I don't really know nor have enough of a memory to really make a profound guess.

Hm.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2012.05.10 (01:10)

Well! This thread is no longer anywhere near where it began. We don't need a reddit, is the answer. You might get a subscription from 30 of us or so -- if that many use Reddit or know what it is -- but those subscriptions would be meaningless. We have a domain. When the domain is no longer being paid for, let's get a reddit.

If, on the other hand, someone wants to start one just for kicks, maybe when 1.5 comes out as a form of publicity, go for it. Could get it linked on other small gaming sidebars and gain some traction.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.10 (01:32)

centerƒire wrote:Well! This thread is no longer anywhere near where it began. We don't need a reddit, is the answer. You might get a subscription from 30 of us or so -- if that many use Reddit or know what it is -- but those subscriptions would be meaningless. We have a domain. When the domain is no longer being paid for, let's get a reddit.

If, on the other hand, someone wants to start one just for kicks, maybe when 1.5 comes out as a form of publicity, go for it. Could get it linked on other small gaming sidebars and gain some traction.
Is it bad that I liked the community last year when things were quiet and slow? Seriously, can't be alone here.

But yeah, maybe when 1.5 comes out.

Radio Douchebag

Postby Rhekatou » 2012.05.10 (04:10)

Sunset wrote:

That's pretty much what 90% of the community is right now. Where have you been for the past 2 years?
HAHAHA.

Idk, some new fulltimers would be nice. Not that I don't love you all, but some fresh people wouldn't hurt.

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.10 (12:30)

Rhekatou wrote: Idk, some new fulltimers would be nice. Not that I don't love you all, but some fresh people wouldn't hurt.
True. No idea when those newer folks will come in, but hopefully it'll coincide with this recent series of events on NUMA.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2012.05.22 (17:56)

The comment structure on reddit is excellent for technical discussion and terrible for socializing. Analyzing a topic as occurs in /r/programming or such might proceed off in several tree-style tangents, and it could be reasonable to say, perhaps, this guy's idea is better than that one, so we vote it to the top. But a conversation does not work like that. If I am sitting in a room with Kablizzy and Jiggerjaw and Guiseppi, we all say things, and we hear them in the order they are said; we do not say a bunch of things and then decide what order they ought to go in.

Reddit's comment structure promotes one-liners and long, mildly amusing but generally inaccurate and trite rants; it does not promote active and productive back-and-forth discussion. If you do end up having a conversation on reddit, it's usually by accident! Occasionally a thread like "what was one sexual misadventure you instantly regretted" will generate a lot of hilarity, but that is really due to the size of the community, not the quality. /b/ works just as well for that (and the members are smarter).

As it stands, the technical reddits are pretty good, /r/sex is surprisingly good, and a few of the smaller reddits (I'm looking at you, /r/foodforthought and /r/math) have really good content but very little discussion. Also, /r/buddhism is full of happy-go-lucky types who generate a disgusting amount of positivity. The rest of it has repetitive links and boring comments. I moderate /r/lua and I have been genuinely impressed by how well things seem to run themselves. If I moderated /r/AskReddit, I think I'd lose my mind in a day, that or ban absolutely everyone.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.23 (00:14)

scythe wrote:/b/ works just as well for that (and the members are smarter).

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maxson924

Postby Rose » 2012.05.23 (15:38)

But yeah, I've noticed. I came back because the site got its shit together and school ending soon. I'm assuming the others came back for a similar reason
Correct in my case. Also, getting a new computer that can run N without being on the verge of catching fire helped things too.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby scythe » 2012.05.26 (00:26)

As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2012.05.26 (04:48)

scythe wrote:If I moderated /r/AskReddit, I think I'd lose my mind in a day, that or ban absolutely everyone.
this happens in a major sub at least once a month
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sunset » 2012.05.26 (05:03)

centerƒire wrote:
scythe wrote:If I moderated /r/AskReddit, I think I'd lose my mind in a day, that or ban absolutely everyone.
this happens in a major sub at least once a month
Really now? Never notice.