Mass Effect 2 - useful hacks and improvements for PC version

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.
Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby a happy song » 2010.08.12 (22:31)

Includes:
Improved frame rate for low spec machines.
Improved load times for all machines.
Add crouch function.
Add all collector ship weapons to current game.
Max out paragon.
Max out renegade.
Max out all resources.

-

I'm by no means a master of any of this, and I didn't code any of the apps or discover the coding myself (aside from compiling my own personal coalesced.ini to share). This is simply the result of a good few days worth of research into some edits and additions that will potentially both improve your game play experience and add potential replay value.

Easy way to improve FPS for low spec machines.

For many machines, lowering the in game settings will still result in low FPS. ME2 is quite a demanding game, and for those of us with older systems it can be quite a frustrating one.

Here's a quick fix that added a good 15-20 FPS for me.

Go into your users folder, found somewhere similar to:

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\BIOGame\Config

Open the file 'GamerSettings.ini' in notepad and add this line under the section [systemsettings]

DepthOfField=False

Simply save the file and you're done!

Improved Load Times

For dual/multi core CPUs only -

This is something that I stumbled across when searching for a fix to, what I only imagined, was a flaw in the game itself. Sometimes, load screens took an abnormally long time.

After a little research, I found it's a fault with the game itself. Something to do with CPU affinity for dual/multi core users.

The fix is simple, start ME2 and then immediately open the task manager. Right click MassEffect2.exe and select 'Set Affinity'.

Deselect one of the boxes, and press Ok. immediately right click the .exe again and reselect the box (making sure all boxes are now selected) and press ok.

Your load screens should now be a lot faster.

There's also an auto fix for those interested. That, along with a more detailed description of the issue, can be found here: click.

For all systems -

See here for a way to vastly improve load times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTD3NKOm7VE

.ini file hacks

A simple enough edit built for those wanting to make repeated plays of their favourite difficulty without loosing too much challenge.

Simply add this file: click

Here: Program Files > Mass Effect 2 > BioGame > Config > PC > Cooked > And replace the file you find there.

What I've added:

Left Shift = Crouch
Number pad 1 = Add Revenant Assault Rifle, Widow Sniper Rifle, Claymore Shotgun.
Number pad 2 = Max Paragon Points
Number Pad 3 = Max Renegade Points
Number Pad Four = max resources

(if you have a laptop or keyboard without a numberpad, then use your OS' on screen keyboard - simply google for it if you're unsure)

-

This is a very simple edit that avoids anything too overpowered. It gives you the options of trying all three collector vessel weapons at the same time, removes the tedious need for planet scanning, and opens up all context based light/dark interactions from the off.

-

If you'd like to edit your own file and add more complex hacks, here's what you'll need:

Coalesced Compiler for ME2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F6M2580U
List of .ini codes: click

To use the compiler, this is what you need to do.

1. Extract all the files in the .rar to the same folder.
2. Navigate the list of .ini hacks and find those you'd like to add.
3. From within the files extracted from the .rar , navigate to and open the 'configs' folder.
4. Open the 'BioInput' config file with notepad and navigate to the section entitled - [SFXGame.SFXGameModeDefault]
5. Add the .ini hacks you want to use bellow this line.
6. (you can change key bindings if you desire)
7. Nvaigate back to the main folder, open the Compiler, and press 'Compile Coalesced.ini'.

This will automatically update your games coalesced.ini.

Open ME2 and enjoy your new hacks!
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.08.13 (14:56)

This is superb. I have a high end machine, and even my frames dipped occasionally during cutscenes. This appears to have repaired that. +9.
Loathes

Mr. Glass

Postby a happy song » 2010.08.13 (18:59)

SłappyMcGee wrote:This is superb. I have a high end machine, and even my frames dipped occasionally during cutscenes. This appears to have repaired that. +9.
Aye, Me2 is a lot more forgiving than the first, but both games can be quite hungry. Glad it helped.
spoiler

n

-
M U S I C

-
A R T

-
G A M I N G

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/z3phyr
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Zephyr » 2010.08.16 (20:27)

Preparing a Shepard for an insanity run but I don't want to use these because they make me feel I'm cheating :/
Clickme
spoiler

Orange- N cannot be spoken, or even thought about in my household. If my parents ever found out that I have played N since the cleansing, my life would be ruined. I keep the game in a multi-passworded .rar on a USB flash drive inside a locked boron alloy container that requires two keys to open (I keep one under the 64th hammer in my piano, and the other one in a small section of removable ceiling in the corner of the attic) hidden in a wall compartment lined with aluminium foil to prevent sonar detection behind my 375 kg cupboard, which is bolted to the floor - the only way to reach it is to abseil outside the fourth floor window and use a screwdriver to unfasten the screws holding the secret brick in place on the opposite side of the wall, but the screwdriver must be a specific type like the one I own, since if any other screwdriver comes into contact with the screws, the entire building will explode, as will a seperate charge placed inside the boron alloy container, rendering the USB useless. Even once the container is retrieved, attemping to open it without the arming pin in place (which is kept inside the battery compartment of my Maglite) will cause the water reservoirs lining the container to burst and react with the caesium lining, causing the container to burst into flames - the only way to prevent this is to use the arming pins to shut off the reservoirs with a sliding steel door. The USB itself contains an accelerometer linked to an explosive charge, meaning that if the USB detects its own movement speed as being greater than 5 cm/s, it will explode - any person attempting to steal it would have to move at a uselessly slow speed. Once plugged into a computer, the USB will upload a ghost virus onto it, leaving no traces. Only the right password can deactivate this virus, and if it is left on the computer for more than six hours, it will format all drives.

As you can see, I take my N playing very seriously.

Guiseppi- I'd much rather watch animals get boned in the ass.

Yanni- If it's glad, it's not rape.

Tsukatu- I refuse to use throw-away bags for such a frequent purpose as buying groceries. Instead, I've collected the hair of my two pet dogs and have woven them together into an all-natural, 100% environmentally friendly bag that I bring with me everywhere. And when I buy products that come in glass and plastic containers, I track down the company that packages them and ship back their containers so that they don't take up space in landfills.

Yeah, I use plastic.

Tsukatu- I hear Ebony Online is great, too. Cum save your princess, my lord!

Ska- UR MUM LIKE IS SPICY

Ska- why d i get the feeling what i typed will end up in the quote depository; or worse: someone's sig.

KinGAleX- I did it on the couch a little while ago.

Zeph- I got too pissed at the knife in the end so I just broke the wood on my knee

[13:50:29] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:50:53] <Zeph> omfg 1950s jazz :D
[13:50:57] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:51:01] <WorldCupE> WHAT
[13:51:11] <WorldCupE> hpw
[13:51:12] <WorldCupE> how
[13:51:12] <Zeph> everyone wears out halfway through the match
[13:51:15] <WorldCupE> ._.
[13:51:17] <WorldCupE> you
[13:51:19] <WorldCupE> aren't
[13:51:20] <WorldCupE> here
[13:51:24] <WorldCupikaze> I think the broadcasters lowered the volume for certain frequencies
[13:51:35] <WorldCupikaze> WOAH
[13:51:38] <WorldCupikaze> STOP IT ZEPH
[13:51:46] <WorldCupE> he's in #n
[13:51:49] <WorldCupE> but not here
[13:51:58] <Zeph> that nz guy wasn't fouled
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> DUBBLE YOO. TEE. EFF.
[13:52:05] <WorldCupikaze> STOPIT
[13:52:29] <WorldCupE> I don't think Zeph can read what we say
[13:52:38] <WorldCupikaze> No
[13:52:41] <WorldCupikaze> But it still happens
[13:52:46] <WorldCupE> xD
[13:52:47] <Zeph> holy shot I'm vibrating to 1950s relaxing jazz
[13:52:58] <WorldCupE> ZEPH
[13:53:01] <WorldCupE> CAN YOYU HEAR ME
[13:53:20] <WorldCupE> donfuy
[13:53:23] <WorldCupE> have you seen this
[13:53:35] <Donfuy> i can't
[13:53:43] <WorldCupE> can't what
[13:53:47] <WorldCupE> Zeph isn't here
[13:53:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHAT's GOING ON
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> but is speaking
[13:53:51] <WorldCupE> D:
[13:53:58] <Donfuy> can't see what huh?
[13:54:06] <WorldCupikaze> IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
[13:54:10] <Donfuy> where's zeph o_o
[13:54:18] <WorldCupE> precisely
[13:54:21] <WorldCupikaze> Exactly
[13:55:21] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:55:24] <Zeph> Pooh
[13:55:28] <WorldCupikaze> EH?
[13:55:37] <WorldCupikaze> OOOOOOOOoh
[13:55:38] <Zeph> amazing slide tackle saves day
[13:55:48] <WorldCupikaze> WHY ARE YOU TALKING YOU AREN'T HERE
[13:56:53] <WorldCupikaze> call wide
[13:57:02] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

[13:32:33] |<-- Zeph has left irc.mountai.net (Quit: Zeph)
[13:32:43] <WorldCupE> ZEPH D:<
[13:32:44] <Zeph> fucking irc app
[13:32:47] <WorldCupE> O_O
[13:32:50] -->| Zeph ([email protected]) has joined #Worldcup

Sig and avatar made by 망했어 네 여동생

Mr. Glass

Postby a happy song » 2010.08.16 (22:44)

Zephyr wrote:Preparing a Shepard for an insanity run but I don't want to use these because they make me feel I'm cheating :/
So you don't want to improve your frame rate or decrease load times?

Weird.

The others ARE cheats. But when you've played the game through a few times already, do you really want to farm the planets over and over for research projects?

The rest, as mentioned, is for insanity run multiple play-throughs to add a little spice.
spoiler

n

-
M U S I C

-
A R T

-
G A M I N G

The Loneliest Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Jacob Bechard » 2017.04.21 (12:48)

Thanks! My PC is low spec, I have more FPS now. I'll try to do the same to ME3. ME4 isn't worth a try...