New Desktop - Advice please!

Talk about computers, hardware, applications, and consumer electronics.
Mr. Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/astheoceansblue
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby a happy song » 2010.09.16 (20:20)

I have around £600 to spend, and I'd like to build something that will run Mass Effect 2, Starcraft 2, et al... at decent FPS. Decent for me = at least 40 with hardly any dipping on high settings.

I've a couple of ideas. For one: Combo of parts from new egg.

I'm also looking forward to playing Deus 3, so I'll want it up to par for that too.

I don't mind going a little over budget if the benefits are worth it.

Thanks in advance.
click sig :::
spoiler

n
::: astheoceansblue
::: My eight episode map pack: SUNSHINEscience
::: Map Theory: The Importance of Function & Form

-
M U S I C
::: The forest and the fire: myspace
::: EP available for FREE download, here.

-
A R T
::: Sig & Avatar Artwork by me - see here!

-
G A M I N G
::: Steam ID: 0:1:20950734
::: Steam Username: brighter

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.16 (20:26)

Are there any specific reasons you are buying a TV tuner and a Bluray disc drive? Because if there ain't, chop off a solid hundred from this price and get a standard DVD drive. (Plus the remote control. :/)

And that setup will definitely be great for all of the games listed, as the Video Card is a notch below mine (although my processor is better) and I can run everything on max settings.

Moreover, you might just be a touch wary about mixing ATI's with Intel Processors. I find those motherboards occasionally wonky.
Loathes

Mr. Glass

Postby a happy song » 2010.09.16 (20:33)

=w= wrote:Are there any specific reasons you are buying a TV tuner and a Bluray disc drive? Because if there ain't, chop off a solid hundred from this price and get a standard DVD drive. (Plus the remote control. :/)

And that setup will definitely be great for all of the games listed, as the Video Card is a notch below mine (although my processor is better) and I can run everything on max settings.

Moreover, you might just be a touch wary about mixing ATI's with Intel Processors. I find those motherboards occasionally wonky.
I've not bought a desktop for years, and the new Graphics card and processor names are confusing me a little.

the deal offers $100 off, is the blu-ray still not worth it?

Saying that, I completely forgot I'm going to need a monitor too. I don't need anything fancy, but if anyone can suggest a decent package for around the price I mentioned (£100 on top if need be), it would be appreciated.
spoiler

n

-
M U S I C

-
A R T

-
G A M I N G

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.09.16 (21:07)

a happy song wrote:
=w= wrote:Are there any specific reasons you are buying a TV tuner and a Bluray disc drive? Because if there ain't, chop off a solid hundred from this price and get a standard DVD drive. (Plus the remote control. :/)

I've not bought a desktop for years, and the new Graphics card and processor names are confusing me a little.

the deal offers $100 off, is the blu-ray still not worth it?

Saying that, I completely forgot I'm going to need a monitor too. I don't need anything fancy, but if anyone can suggest a decent package for around the price I mentioned (£100 on top if need be), it would be appreciated.

Blu-Ray might be worth it, depending on your use. The TV Tuner is definitely in excess unless you intend to use your desktop as a DVR.
Loathes

Not So Awesome Blossom
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2010.09.16 (21:30)

If it really seems like a deal to you, then go for the blu-ray but, like Slaps said, ditch the TV Tuner. Also, there aren't as many problems with ATI/Intel anymore as there used to be... I recommend the 5770 card.

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2010.09.17 (17:10)

Find a computer fair, I got all my hardware for this PC from their for a total of about £100 less than buying it from ebuyer etc.

Mr. Glass

Postby a happy song » 2010.09.17 (21:21)

Luminaflare wrote:Find a computer fair, I got all my hardware for this PC from their for a total of about £100 less than buying it from ebuyer etc.
If I'm going to go that route I'll probably just ebay it. Being lazy.
spoiler

n

-
M U S I C

-
A R T

-
G A M I N G