Epic Fantasy Suggestions

Discuss entertainment media here, including TV, cinema, the Internet, books and literature, and other non-musical works or multimedia productions.
"Asked ortsz for a name change"
Posts: 3380
Joined: 2008.11.13 (16:47)

Postby otters~1 » 2011.08.12 (03:32)

DominoMcGee wrote:
BIG YUS wrote:
DominoMcGee wrote:Huge fantasy series tend to have massive and awesome canons, which is what people love. Tolkein did it in four books, though.

It's Tolkien, and The Lord of the Rings alone is six books. YOU FOOL


The book divisions within the three books is irrelevant. In terms of book sizes, Tolkien did it in The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and Return of the King.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion (one more book for ya)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Histor ... ddle-earth (and twelve more volumes)

I would take a picture of my "thigh" too but I'm away from camera.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

User avatar
Queen of All Spiders
Posts: 4263
Joined: 2008.09.29 (03:54)
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP
Location: Quebec, Canada!
Contact:

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.08.12 (04:10)

Four good ones!
Loathes

User avatar
La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
Posts: 2228
Joined: 2008.09.19 (14:27)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.08.12 (04:56)

I can only assume you've never actually read the novel, because if you were to do so you would notice that each of your volumes contains two books. This is a fact.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Image

User avatar
Queen of All Spiders
Posts: 4263
Joined: 2008.09.29 (03:54)
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP
Location: Quebec, Canada!
Contact:

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.08.12 (05:46)

BIG YUS wrote:I can only assume you've never actually read the novel, because if you were to do so you would notice that each of your volumes contains two books. This is a fact.


First of all, there are contradictions right in your post.


read the novel,

And yet there are supposed to be six books? Aha!

two books.


More scientific evidence was required here to prove your retarded crackpot theory wrong.

Image

Finally, with regards to whether or not I've actually read the trilogy, I challenge you to a read off. For context, here is my video of the hobbit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgWlm3I9w9I

That's right. Choose your favorite passage from the trilogy and I will choose mine. We shall read off. Let the best man determine the number of books in the series. If I win, there is one book to rule them all. If you win, you can live in your pretender's universe with six lord of the rings books.
Loathes

User avatar
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2329
Joined: 2008.09.27 (16:53)
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Aidiera :3
MBTI Type: INTJ
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Postby aids » 2011.08.12 (07:52)

I hardly think this is worth arguing over. But I'm probably wrong.
Image

//--^.^--\\
\\.:.^.:.//

"Asked ortsz for a name change"
Posts: 3380
Joined: 2008.11.13 (16:47)

Postby otters~1 » 2011.08.13 (01:34)

SlappyMcGee wrote:Four good ones!

DONT GO THERE ASSHOLE
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

User avatar
La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
Posts: 2228
Joined: 2008.09.19 (14:27)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.08.13 (05:22)

SlappyMcGee wrote:
BIG YUS wrote:I can only assume you've never actually read the novel, because if you were to do so you would notice that each of your volumes contains two books. This is a fact.


First of all, there are contradictions right in your post.


read the novel,

And yet there are supposed to be six books? Aha!

It's one novel divided into six books and often published as three volumes. Please do not be so dense as to presume these books must be physical books, or I'll have to point out the incongruity of your earlier example which included Kafka's "Metamorphosis and Other Stories", where you have one physical book whose contents are clearly divided in a different fashion. I have a one-volume copy of The Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't mean The Lord of the Rings only consists of one book. And again, if you have read it, you would have surely noticed the various pages conspicuously titled "BOOK ONE", "BOOK TWO", "BOOK THREE", "BOOK FOUR", "BOOK FIVE", and "BOOK SIX".

And I'll totally read you off.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Image

User avatar
Demon Fisherman
Posts: 1246
Joined: 2008.10.01 (23:37)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/squibbles
MBTI Type: ENFP
Location: Canberra
Contact:

Postby squibbles » 2011.08.13 (06:17)

squibbles wrote:If you want a fantasy series that isn't too derivative of LotR like 90% of the genre, and also explores the human condition in a sensible and interesting way, I'd recommend The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever. It's really damn good and best of all, 10 books long.


boustrophedon wrote:
chocollama wrote:
boustrophedon wrote:THAT SHOULD KEEP YOU BUSY

Being busy and reading a good book are two very different things.

WHICH IS WHY EVERYONE WHO SAID "THERE ARE FIFTEEN BOOKS IN THE SERIES THAT'S A PLUS" IS DUMB


When you say that a series is good, that implies it's whole. I'm pretty clearly stating that it's 10 good books.
spoiler

Nmaps.net

Tsukatu wrote:I don't know what it is, squibbles, but my brain keeps inserting "black" into random parts of your posts these days.
I totally just read that as, "I'd hate to be the only black guy stuck using v1.4."


"Asked ortsz for a name change"
Posts: 3380
Joined: 2008.11.13 (16:47)

Postby otters~1 » 2011.08.13 (21:11)

Unfortunately, I have to get serious and chime in on Slappy's side of the argument. Tolkien himself wrote them as three books. This is fact. It is also fact that they were published as six books due to a silly publisher's opinion of humankind's attention span, with some other factors tossed in.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

User avatar
La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
Posts: 2228
Joined: 2008.09.19 (14:27)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.08.14 (02:13)

boustrophedon wrote:Unfortunately, I have to get serious and chime in on Slappy's side of the argument. Tolkien himself wrote them as three books. This is fact. It is also fact that they were published as six books due to a silly publisher's opinion of humankind's attention span, with some other factors tossed in.

Hahaha, what. Tolkien wrote it as six books in one volume, expecting it to be accompanied by The Silmarillion. The publisher thought otherwise and published it on its own split into three volumes.

Also:
SlappyMcGee wrote:If I win, there is one book to rule them all.

What happened to three books?
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Image

User avatar
Queen of All Spiders
Posts: 4263
Joined: 2008.09.29 (03:54)
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP
Location: Quebec, Canada!
Contact:

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2011.08.14 (04:21)

First of all, I can't even begin to understand how you are taking my arguing seriously. Second of all,

Wikipedia wrote:Although known to most readers as a trilogy, the work was initially intended by Tolkien to be one volume split into three sections.
Loathes

"Asked ortsz for a name change"
Posts: 3380
Joined: 2008.11.13 (16:47)

Postby otters~1 » 2011.08.14 (05:53)

DR NGUYEN MINH CHAU wrote:
boustrophedon wrote:Unfortunately, I have to get serious and chime in on Slappy's side of the argument. Tolkien himself wrote them as three books. This is fact. It is also fact that they were published as six books due to a silly publisher's opinion of humankind's attention span, with some other factors tossed in.

Hahaha, what. Tolkien wrote it as six books in one volume, expecting it to be accompanied by The Silmarillion. The publisher thought otherwise and published it on its own split into three volumes.

Huhwha that was a pipe dream. Quite early on he decided to publish much earlier than Sil because he wanted to flesh it out and anyway it really wasn't publishable. Also I meant three voolumes rather than three boooks.
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

User avatar
La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
Posts: 2228
Joined: 2008.09.19 (14:27)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2011.08.14 (06:00)

SlappyMcGee wrote:First of all, I can't even begin to understand how you are taking my arguing seriously. Second of all,

Wikipedia wrote:Although known to most readers as a trilogy, the work was initially intended by Tolkien to be one volume split into three sections.

First of all, right back at you! Second of all, clearly that quote means I'm right.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

Image

User avatar
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 1416
Joined: 2008.09.26 (05:35)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33
MBTI Type: ENTP
Location: 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Postby scythe » 2011.08.14 (17:56)

It's not quiiiiiiite fantasy, but close enough for all practical purposes -- The Illuminatus! Trilogy is the best thing I've read save Infinite Jest (which is definitely not fantasy).
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

User avatar
Richard Richards
Posts: 183
Joined: 2010.10.10 (18:46)
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epic4ever
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/
Location: Helsinki. Finland. Europe. Earth. Milkyway

Postby Equilibrium » 2012.02.25 (11:35)

I don´t know if any of these are too child-ish books for you but what I have read and loved are as follows:
Jonathan Stroud - Bartimaeus Trilogy,
Brian Jacques - the Redwall series,
Naomi Novik - Temeraire series(not finished them myself)
and then the latest I read was Nick Perumov Elven Blade..
Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.


Return to “Entertainment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests