Get To Know The Community

Discuss aspects of the community itself and talk about the people and ideas that make this place work.
King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/Weisslenny0
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (11:06)

You can't lead the community unless you know the community.

Hey Everyone,

This all came about from four lines on the IRC. In fact, essentially one. Here they are, just so you can see.
<Lenny> Bye!
<Fingersonthefrets> haha i love how lenny says hi and bye to everyone, even when he doesn't/hasn't had much to do with them
<Lenny> Yeah. I should get to know the people.
<Lenny> In fact... that's a great idea.
So, what is this topic for? It's a place somewhat like the "introduce yourself" topic on the old forums, but I think this will be more meaningful. In this topic I want everyone to post a bit about themselves. It doesn't have to be much, but don't make it several pages long because that won't get read.
The aim of this topic is for members to get to know everyone else a bit better. And, more self-centred-ly, so I can get to know you guys a bit better.
Because, hey, if people like me are going to be interacting with the community a lot - and let's face it, we are - then we should get to know the community a bit better than we do.
I'll start. You don't have to put your name or anything like I will, but hey, I'm a pretty open person. If future people could put their info a border that looks neater - I've used #808080 as the border colour.
Name: Leonard Weiss
Livin' in: Australia - more specifically, Canberra.
What I like: Music and computers. I do a lot of composing and performing of music, as well as listening to lots of music. I have a podcast where my music is if you're interested. As far as computers go, I think they're awesome. I've recently learnt HTML and CSS, so I can design my own site. Plus, I figured it'll be a very useful to know for the future.
Plans for Uni: I'm hoping to do a combined music and science degree, with a major Composition in music, and a major in Computer Science in science.
I think that's a pretty good description of me. If you've got any questions about me or this project, just ask.

To summarise, thanks to everyone who contributes. I really look forward to reading everything that everyone says, and I really hope this project will go somewhere.

Lenny
Last edited by Lenny on 2008.10.02 (11:28), edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImage
<&Yanni> I've had an ambient song like this playing for a couple hours,
<&Yanni> Oh no wait that is MY AIR CONDITIONER

-----
<@Animator> :::: Techno was killed by a better music genre.
-----
<SouthyMcGee> Music is auditory art. What art is a different argument.
----
<&sforzando> Alright, no 247MHz for you.

Previous Custom Member Titles: Cross-Country Sticker King 2k10, Doing Out the Girls, Outdoing the Girls, Lenny Laser-Tits, King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits (current).

La historia me absolverá
La historia me absolverá
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/maestro
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby 乳头的早餐谷物 » 2008.10.02 (11:17)

BBW seeks W/E NS SWJM sub for BDSM and possible LTR. 30 years old ONO.
M E A T N E T 1 9 9 2

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Orange
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby ℎalifax » 2008.10.02 (11:21)

Name: Mark R.
Livin' in: Melbourne, Australia
What I like: Writing and philosphy. I'm currently writing a novel which I hope to get published someday, and I recently went on a quest to find the meaning of life.
Plans for Uni: Not too sure at this point, but I'd like to study philosophy and chemistry.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Livin' in: Australia - more specifically, Canberra.
Canberra's a hole.
Last edited by ℎalifax on 2008.10.02 (12:01), edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (11:39)

Orange wrote:Name: Mark R.
Livin' in: Melbourne, Australia
What I like: Writing and philosphy. I'm currently writing a novel which I hope to get published someday, and I recently went on a quest to find the meaning of life.
Plans for Uni: Not too sure at this point, but I'd like to study philosophy and chemistry.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Livin' in: Australia - more specifically, Canberra.
Canberra's a hole.
If I'm correct, not that I pride myself on Geography, we're actually a few hundred meters above sea level - with hills right next to our city centre. Melbourne is the one at sea level...

Still, cool that you're into writing. It'd be nice to have a philosophical debate sometime, because I enjoy philosophy (though I don't pride myself on that, either). If you ever want proofreading for that story I'd be most happy to read it, because I enjoy reading and giving feedback on others' work.
Also, how'd your quest for the meaning of life go? I'd slip in "42" at this point, but you might not get it.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Previous Custom Member Titles: Cross-Country Sticker King 2k10, Doing Out the Girls, Outdoing the Girls, Lenny Laser-Tits, King Sanchez De La Cruz Magnifico IV: Return of Lenny Laser-Tits (current).

Postby ℎalifax » 2008.10.02 (11:42)

Weisslenny0 wrote:Also, how'd your quest for the meaning of life go? I'd slip in "42" at this point, but you might not get it.
I think I found the meaning of life, but I'd rather not talk about it here. Maybe I'll write a book about it sometime.

The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is 42 - not the answer to the meaning of life. A common mistake. Also, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is my favourite book series of all time. Ever.

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (11:56)

Orange wrote:The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is 42 - not the answer to the meaning of life. A common mistake. Also, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is my favourite book series of all time. Ever.
Glad you got the reference - and especially that you like the series. I never got through the whole thing... I didn't read the end of the sixth book, but I did read all the others.

When you said you'd rather not talk about it here, is that "here" as in the forum, or "here" as in to me? Perfectly fine if you don't want to tell me things - I'm very thankful for what you've said so far. I'd really love reading the story if or when you decide to write it.
I was thinking about the meaning of life a while back, and to end my confusion I decided that the meaning of life is to find the meaning of life. Makes sense, but endless loops don't work to well.

To Dash: Uhh... that's...
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Postby ℎalifax » 2008.10.02 (11:59)

Weisslenny0 wrote:When you said you'd rather not talk about it here, is that "here" as in the forum, or "here" as in to me?
The forums. If you want to personally discuss it, be my guest.
Weisslenny0 wrote:I'd really love reading the story if or when you decide to write it.
Thanks. I've written about 20,000 words so far. I'm aiming for 70-80,000.

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (12:17)

Orange wrote:If you want to personally discuss it, be my guest.
I'd be delighted. IRC would obviously be more convenient. Just say hi when you're in there, or drop into #Q - my miscellaneous channel for anything and everything.
Orange wrote:I've written about 20,000 words so far. I'm aiming for 70-80,000.
Wow. Only thing I've written that much on is an incomplete Super Mario 64 walk through. That equates to 60-something pages though, right? That's awesome.
I'd recommend not strictly aiming for a particular amount of words, because the story will probably finish when it wants to.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/incluye

Postby otters » 2008.10.02 (13:06)

Name: JD Taylor. That's me pen name.
Livin' in: Loveland. Whether Colorado or Ohio is up to you. :D
What I like: Lots. Graphic design, web design, blogging, basketball, soccer, video games, and especially writing. I'm working on my second book right now, it's about 41 pages atm. The first was 340+ pages of awful. *twitch* And I tried to get it published. *retwitch*
Plans for Uni: Biomedical engineering/graphic design, not sure which. Might just be a millionaire off my writing and skip college, heh.

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (13:21)

incluye wrote:
What I like: Lots. Graphic design, web design, blogging, basketball, soccer, video games, and especially writing. I'm working on my second book right now, it's about 41 pages atm. The first was 340+ pages of awful. *twitch* And I tried to get it published. *retwitch*
Plans for Uni: Biomedical engineering/graphic design, not sure which. Might just be a millionaire off my writing and skip college, heh.
Cool. Mind if I call you "JD"? I'm fine either way, but it's pretty catchy.

Wow, broad range of things you like. Glad we've got more on the graphics team, and I know your work is amazing from the SOTW contest. As to web design, I'd offer to help with the skins but I'm clueless with PHP at the moment. It's nice that we have someone who's expressed interest in sport, because I haven't seen that much around here.
Writing, also? Nice. 340 pages is amazing, no matter the content. If you've got that lying around somewhere I'd enjoy reading it, just to get an idea of how you write. Plus it can't hurt to read the story... or so you'd hope. :)
Wow, you've got like... bi-polar uni plans. :D It'd be cool to make money off writing, but you need to sell a lot of books for that to happen. Plus, it never hurts to go to Uni just in case.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Postby otters » 2008.10.02 (13:25)

Weisslenny0 wrote:
incluye wrote:
It'd be cool to make money off writing, but you need to sell a lot of books for that to happen.
[cough]J.K. Rowling[/cough]
Yeah. Heh. JD is fine, that's not my real name, but it's certainly cooler.
Lenny wrote:Writing, also? Nice. 340 pages is amazing, no matter the content. If you've got that lying around somewhere I'd enjoy reading it, just to get an idea of how you write. Plus it can't hurt to read the story... or so you'd hope. :)
Yes, it can. Seriously, there are major plot holes, and part of it goes directly into a whole new tangent without any interlude because I'm in the middle of editing it. Probably better just to rewrite it. >_>
Pembie's helping me design the skin, anyway, so you don't need to. :P

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (13:30)

JD wrote:JD is fine, that's not my real name, but it's certainly cooler.
Cool, JD it is, unless you change your mind some somewhere along with way.
JD wrote:Yes, it can. Seriously, there are major plot holes, and part of it goes directly into a whole new tangent without any interlude because I'm in the middle of editing it. Probably better just to rewrite it. >_>
Oh. Well, happy to read it once editing is done - or now, but it sounds like it might be a bit confusing now.

And that's all good to know. Figured someone else would offer to help, but I thought I could slip my name in just in case.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2008.10.02 (13:40)

Name: David.
Livin' In: A town just outside Albany, NY.
What I Like: Art, mostly the contemporary kind; I dabble in writing; cats, although like isn't strong enough; I used to draw voraciously, I still get the bug occasionally; photography; a good read.
Plans for Uni: Haven't decided if I'm going. I'm home-schooled, so I'm not sure if I could adjust to the structure.

Postby Lenny » 2008.10.02 (13:53)

gloomp wrote:
Name: David.
Livin' In: A town just outside Albany, NY.
What I Like: Art, mostly the contemporary kind; I dabble in writing; cats, although like isn't strong enough; I used to draw voraciously, I still get the bug occasionally; photography; a good read.
Plans for Uni: Haven't decided if I'm going. I'm home-schooled, so I'm not sure if I could adjust to the structure.
Cool, a David. Now I'm going to end up asking every time... but can I call you that?
Ah, someone else from America. This is also a pretty good population test...
Art as in painting, I assume, as opposed to graphic design and stuff like that? Nice to have some variation. And more writing. Again, happy to read what you write if you're ever looking for feedback. Drawing and photography are awesome, though I personally am not great at drawing (or photography, but I take some good shots now and then). And, of course, reading is very helpful. I wonder if there's anyone who likes writing, but not reading. Just have to wait and see...
Could be in trouble looking at careers without Uni. Not that there's anything wrong with not going to Uni, but it does open up more career opportunities. Out of interest, how are you enjoying home schooling? Mum wanted to home school us a few years ago, but then decided against it. I've always been curious to know what it's like.

Also, general message: I'll be away for a week (as of some time tomorrow). So, as much as I'm enjoying reading your replies, they're going to have to wait a bit while I'm away with no internet. But never worry, I will get back to each and every post as soon as I can.
ImageImageImage

-----
-----
----

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/gloomp

Postby unoriginal name » 2008.10.02 (14:51)

Weisslenny0 wrote:Cool, a David. Now I'm going to end up asking every time... but can I call you that?
Sure.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Art as in painting, I assume, as opposed to graphic design and stuff like that? Nice to have some variation.
Ah, should've elaborated. Art as in the study and enjoyment of it. I have a case full of art books and jump at the chance to go to a museum.
Weisslenny0 wrote:And more writing. Again, happy to read what you write if you're ever looking for feedback.
I don't do it much, only every now and again, so there's not really anything right now.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Drawing and photography are awesome, though I personally am not great at drawing (or photography, but I take some good shots now and then). And, of course, reading is very helpful. I wonder if there's anyone who likes writing, but not reading. Just have to wait and see...
Hah, that'd be interesting.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Could be in trouble looking at careers without Uni. Not that there's anything wrong with not going to Uni, but it does open up more career opportunities.
Yeah, I'll really have to wait and see.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Out of interest, how are you enjoying home schooling? Mum wanted to home school us a few years ago, but then decided against it. I've always been curious to know what it's like.
Oh, it's great. I can explore my interests and learn at my own pace. I wouldn't be nearly as eloquent or opinionated if I'd gone to school.
Weisslenny0 wrote:Also, general message: I'll be away for a week (as of some time tomorrow). So, as much as I'm enjoying reading your replies, they're going to have to wait a bit while I'm away with no internet. But never worry, I will get back to each and every post as soon as I can.
Well, have fun.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2008.10.02 (17:11)

Name: Constantine
Livin' In: California, USA
What I Like: computer science & programming, debate, arguing about ambiguous topics (different from 'debate'), tabletop gaming, video gaming, asskicking
Education: I spent two years at Boston University, where my major started as Biomedical Engineering (on the Pre-Medical track), and then changed to Computer Systems Engineering. A combination of changing interests and atrocious grades led me to look into a transfer to a school big on computer science, and so I'm currently looking at University of California at Santa Cruz. I do need to pick up my grades before my transfer application is acceptable, though, so I'm staying for a year in community college before I'm off to UCSC.
Short Biography:
I was born in Moscow, Russia. My mother, Maria, is a factory worker and my father, Vladimir, was conscripted into the Soviet Navy, where he served in the submarine fleet, and then moved on to serve with the NKVD in a sabotage group during World War II. I had two older brothers: one died within a few months of birth, and the second succumbed to diphtheria during the siege of Leningrad. My grandparents weren't much of anything special, except for my paternal grandfather, who had been Vladimir Lenin's and Joseph Stalin's personal cook. My role models growing up were actually fictional characters, and they were mostly intelligence officers played by Russian actors like Vyacheslav Tikhonov and Georgiy Zhzhonov.
Before I developed my interest in computer science, I was actually pretty fascinated with international law, and my dream was to study international law at Leningrad State University. I graduated from Leningrad State University's law school in 1975 and was then recruited into the KGB, specifically their First Chief Directorate (the foreign intelligence branch). I was stationed in Dresden, East Germany from 1985 for five years, and then went back to work Leningrad State University's Department of International Affairs.
After a handful of effortful years of political finagling, I ended up being appointed First Deputy Chief of Presidential Staff in 1998, and then Head of the FSB later that year and joined the Security Council of the Russian Federation just a month after that. Boris Yeltsin and I became close friends, and it was mere months after my previous promotion that I became Prime Minister and contender for President. And then I became President of the Russian Federation in 1999, and I've stayed with that amount of power ever since (with a negligible change in my title's name).
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Postby otters » 2008.10.02 (18:02)

Admendment to Tsukatu's "What I Like": irony. Lots and lots of irony.

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Kablizzy
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Kablizzy » 2008.10.02 (18:12)

Name: Kenneth Matthew Blaylock

Livin' In: Denver, Colorado, USA

What I Like: Well, let's see. I'm a gamer at heart - I enjoy designing things a lot, particularly games. I like being in charge and helping things grow, thrive, and flourish. I'm a builder, and I'm an idea-man; I'm always coming up with ideas to make things better and improve the way things run. I love radio, and have a natural affinity for it, hoping to pursue a career in radio soon.

Education: I've spent the last few years at Metropolitan State College of Denver pursuing a number of different degrees before settling on a degree in Communications.

Short Biography: Born and raised in Denver, I've lived here all my life. My parents were both born and raised here as well, and I am an only child. I was raised Catholic, became an atheist, then an agnostic atheist, and now I'm an agnostic theist. I was engaged to be married, but am now single and focusing on my career for a while. My only living family is my mother and cousin, but my circle of friends is absolutely massive. AND NOW I AM HUNGRY SO I AM LEAVING TO EAT.
vankusss wrote:What 'more time' means?
I'm going to buy some ham.

Vampire Salesman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby xeronix » 2008.10.02 (19:24)

Name: Mark G.
Education:High School Grad, Looking for graphic design/video game design & computer science degree.
Interests: Music, Computer, Games, Art, writing.... and well, i dont like reading... so yes there is such a person...
Plans: well as i said im looking into videogame design in the long run & if all else fails i can do graphic design... Played N for about four years or so, great game, played every major main-stream game you could think of & beaten most= everything from the old nintendo to the 360. Dont watch tv so in not really sure whats going on in the real world because of where i work limits what i can do merely because im in the literal middle of nowhere, the internet is my only getaway... Probably the biggest thing ive done with my live, not the best but still fun, was to hack the entire school system... Down the road i got cought (not so fun) & got in trouble for helping someone with school work; no sense what so ever... & writing a book, sci-fi theme if you will, its coming along well, all my friends seem to enjoy it... So yeah- me in a nut shell...
ps if anyone knows about using Autodesk Maya at all and can give me any help or vice-versa it would be much appreciated.

Ice Cold
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Twistkill

Postby Twistkill » 2008.10.02 (19:35)

Name: Jonathan (security reasons + employers who use Google = no last name)
Livin' in: Canada, just north of Toronto.
What I like: I find myself struggling to answer this. The internet and a few vidjama games keep me happy, but I basically live under a rock. I make good cappuccinos, though!
Plans: I'm (hopefully) going to college next year. I just want to make it as an accountant so I can learn how to invest and manage my money properly. Whoever my future wife is will hopefully appreciate what I have to say and how I treat her - not the clothes on my back, the quality of the place I live, or the dollar signs at the ATM. I hold these same standards.
"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult."
-Proverbs 12:16
Newfrag is my PSN name. Add me as a friend so we can play and chat, just make sure to tell me you're from these forums or else I'll think you're trying to molest me.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2008.10.02 (19:49)

Orange wrote:
Weisslenny0 wrote:When you said you'd rather not talk about it here, is that "here" as in the forum, or "here" as in to me?
The forums. If you want to personally discuss it, be my guest.
How selfish.
Start a thread. Let's get this rolling.
I don't think I'm the only one who wants to know (what you think is) the meaning of life!
incluye wrote:Livin' in: Loveland. Whether Colorado or Ohio is up to you. :D
Up to me, huh?
I demand that you move to whichever of Colorado or Ohio you're not currently in. Let me know when you've done that so I can tell you to move back.
incluye wrote:Admendment to Tsukatu's "What I Like": irony. Lots and lots of irony.
Ironing? What do I look like, a woman? I hate ironing.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Postby Evil_Sire » 2008.10.02 (20:22)

Name: Tom A.K.A Witty (witty is preffered)
Living in: Sydney, Australia
Born in: England
Interests: Writing, computers, arguing, girls, hating school, N, books, piano, guitar and films.
Biography: I'm technically European, even though I have an aussie accent, and have lived in Sydney most of my life. My parents decided to move to Australia before I was born, but then I came and they had to delay it; when I was 2 we moved to Australia.
I'm rather...argumentative, but only when I see something completely stupid.
I swear alot.
I hate school.
My Mum's name is Sarah, and she works at this school thing, and my Dad works as a housing aid dude.
Plans for university:Music, I love music, I always have, I write my own songs, I have the leading song writing program (finale), I play piano alot in my free time, and guitar when my girlfriend is round (she loves it).
Other:I'm rather short tempered, and very aggressive when it comes to arguing; I'll often try and get some information out of them and use it against them...like on MOHAA..when this guy told me his dad was dead and I repeatedly called him a bastard.
Well, It's rather easy to avoid this, everyone around me manages to.

My favorite sentence: "don't piss me off"

hahaha, makes me crack up

Cowboy Magician
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/wedgie123
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby wedgie » 2008.10.02 (22:14)

Name: wedgie
Livin' in: England
What I like: I like so many things I couldn't possibly list them all. I play guitar, drums, piano and I love music in general. I love socialising and having a drink. I love cars, particularly older cars. Driving, modifying, maintaining etc. I drive a Mk2 VW Golf GTi. I like playing games, console games. I like going to festivals, car shows, raves etc. I am a real jack of all trades. I can pick something up really easy, so if I see something that looks cool, I'll learn it. I also like keeping in shape, mainly with weight training.

Education: After GCSE's I went on to A-levels, then went to University for 3 years to do a BSc Honours degree in Computer Aided Product Design, which I received a 2:1 for.

Vampire Salesman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby xeronix » 2008.10.02 (22:24)

Ah yes another raver... Good stuff. Two of my friends are DJ's and well you can imagine how much fun weve got in the middle of now where time to time. It really is interesting to see all these others from other countries, nice to get away from the US once in a while eh...

Dance Dance Revolution Android
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/TribulatioN
MBTI Type: ESFP

Postby TribulatioN » 2008.10.03 (00:27)

Name: Bill
Livin' in: Canada
What I like: Music; I play drums, piano, and am horrid at guitar. Art; Oh, nothing better than finishing a piece of art to be proud of. I'd write more, but I'm short on time right now, so yeah. I might edit this later, but who knows.
Plans for uni: eh, that's still a long time from now, but I'm leaning towards becoming an architect.
Last edited by TribulatioN on 2008.10.03 (02:54), edited 1 time in total.
[ispoiler=http://i31.tinypic.com/111p9bo.png]gloomp : gloomp : Why Me : toasters : SkyRay : Slurpee@fpsbanana : KaMikA@Haklabs[/ispoiler]ImageImage[spoiler=Neditor Nation]Currently Challenging: lord_day
Image[/spoiler][spoiler=Puzzle of the Exuberant!]Image
ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]