Ubuntu 32bit + N_v14 = Problems

Need help getting the classic version of the ninja game to work? Ask here. Find a bug? Tell us here.
Semimember

Postby mrgy05 » 2009.10.16 (17:28)

I've been reading and troubleshooting off of a previous post (http://forum.therealn.com/viewtopic.php ... ntu#p22413)

I began with not being able to load N at all but got it working after installing libstdc++-libc6.2-2

Now when I load N I don't have any sound and I cannot use any controls other than the mouse.

When launching from the terminal I get this message:

Code: Select all

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I know that in the previous post no one has updated it with any fix, so I didn't want to revive it and have you all read through it like I have already.

I've installed libcanberra via synaptic but no resolution.

Any ideas?

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.16 (17:46)

Which flash player are you using? The proprietary Abode flash player or gnash?
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Semimember

Postby mrgy05 » 2009.10.16 (18:02)

It looks like Adobe Player, when it's loaded the window is "Adobe Player 6." That seems a bit old to me, isn't Adobe Player 10 out? I went into synaptic and it looks like I also have gnash installed.

By the way, don't let me mislead you on my Linux knowledge, it's very slim. I've just hit the realization after working with so many Windows machines (and choosing not work with Mac), that Ubuntu is leading the OS revolution train that I want to be on.

As a side note, I had some problems getting flash to function properly in Firefox, even after a few packages were installed.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.16 (20:12)

Nah, version 6 is the latest version of Adobe Flash Player for Linux. I don't know what Adobe has against Linux, but it's pretty much always been that way.

But I'm afraid I can't for the life of me reproduce that problem. Canberra simply isn't used for anything important, and isn't even included in Ubuntu's repositories anymore.
I can offer naive suggestions, like downloading libcanberra and the associated gtk extensions manually, and then trying to run the game again.

Have you considered downloading the Windows version and running it with wine? Many Linux users (including me) have reported better performance in general playing the game that way anyway.
(sudo aptitude install wine, as you do, and then run the Windows version (which you'll have to download and unpack, obviously) with wine n_v14.exe)

Sorry that I can't provide more help than that...
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Semimember

Postby mrgy05 » 2009.10.16 (21:48)

I have WINE installed and have been running N emulated as an alternative means, I was attempting to use Linux in order to boost performance because I still get choppiness in WINE with N.

Should I increase the priority in which WINE runs N or would that even effect performance because N is technically restricted by the emulation?

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.10.16 (22:47)

mrgy05 wrote:I have WINE installed and have been running N emulated as an alternative means, I was attempting to use Linux in order to boost performance because I still get choppiness in WINE with N.

Should I increase the priority in which WINE runs N or would that even effect performance because N is technically restricted by the emulation?
Unless there's some technicality I'm unaware of, increasing the priority of wine should most definitely make the game run smoother. I guess this also assumes that wine doesn't influence its own priority.
nice -n 20 wine ./n_v14.exe
spoiler

Postby Guest » 2009.10.19 (13:09)

Well thanks for the attempt in helping. I just find it odd that my computer is unable to use wine to emulate N smoothly seeing that it doesn't demand many computer resources and my computer is full of them (not a slow PC).

I'll keep this computer as my work / school computer and attempt to play N on my machine at home which will have Windows 7 this 22nd. (Bash if you want, but I have Vista on that machine and I prefer anything over Vista.

Thanks again.