Are you okay with gays?

Debate serious and interesting topics, rant about politics or pop culture, or otherwise converse in essay form about your opinions. The rules of conduct here are a little stricter.
Secretariat Ain't Got Nuthin' On This Shit
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.04 (03:08)

Chicken Catchatori, Dick?
mintnut wrote:Oh my life, STRAP ON A PAIR! Get over it, make better maps, innit?
Posts from the old forums: 11,194

Wizard Dentist
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/SkyPanda

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.09.04 (07:19)

Tsukatu wrote:So the question is, has Jesus come to bring peace on Earth?
Uh no, the question was: "What the hell could he possibly have meant other than exactly what he said? You fucking tell me."
2 and 3 address this. 1 is just a bonus 'cause I love you.
Tsukatu wrote:1) If the "division" is not an undesirable thing, then it is not an undesirable thing.
No, it's more like: If the "division" is not an undesirable thing, then we can interpret this passage positively, and not claim Jesus to be a bad dude, eg what you are trying to do.
Tsukatu wrote:2) Linguistic devices are incapable of conveying any intent that is not well-meaning.
No, a linguistic device can create a meaning that is either positive, or less negative than a literal interpretion would be. They can also convey intent that is worse-meaning than a literal intepretation.
Aren't linguistic devices oh-so versatile? :)
There's a difference between "he COULD be saying this" and "he IS saying this". I'm not claiming that my interpretation is indisputably correct (eg what you are trying to do) merely that it is a reasonable possibility.
Tsukatu wrote: It takes a very contrived interpretation of what is obviously his intended meaning to arrive at the conclusion that he is saying reasonable things.
For a given definition of 'contrived', maybe. It still makes more sense to me to consider the big J's construction in the Bible as a whole, and intepret based on that overall image. Seems to be that a guy who is very into parables is probably a fan of metaphors too.
Tsukatu wrote:The fact that he says both good and evil things does not mean that he is being misunderstood
"I think he is saying evil things, that does not mean I misunderstand him."
Yes it does.
Tuskatu wrote:It is your desperate need to see him as a consistently merciful and omnibenevolent role model which leads you to deny that these parts of his message must be misunderstood but that other parts aren't.
It doesn't matter which parts of his message you understand and which parts you don't. I'm focusing on the parts that I think you misunderstand. Whether or not you've got a few things right doesn't affect the things that you've got wrong.

I'm not a Christian, btw.
Anybody read that part in one of Pratchett's books about two countries who had an endless bloody religious war because there was an argument about whether a dot in a word was part of the word or merely a bit of fly crap? :)

Demon Fisherman
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (07:47)

Show me chicken catchatori! Judges?

3. Parasol.
5. Sunglasses.
9. Crepe suzette. *DING*

Excellent! Yes, chicken catchatori, crepe suzette, ball-peen hammer, William Gibson's "Mona Lisa Overdrive", they're all basically under the same category there. Next up?
The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.04 (07:49)

Incense, Frank?
mintnut wrote:Oh my life, STRAP ON A PAIR! Get over it, make better maps, innit?

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (07:51)

Could it be?

*XXXXX*

Oooooh, first strike. See, I'd have thought incense as well.

The Real N Sex on the Xerox Space Pimp Online Super Fluffy Pack 1! Super Fluffy Pack 2! Super Crunchy Pack! Mother Thumping Impossible: 2005 MotY! Time is on My Side: 2006 PMotY! Survival map king! Best humor award! Best satire award! Best voice award! Inadvertently intimidating! Assholier than thou! Gdubs is totally back! WIS 14! Cyberzone creator! Clique creator! Most lines on IRC! Ventrilo moderator and regular! Certified Dungeon Master! Most modest person ever! ENTP! Incorrigible alcoholic! CHA 19! AMERICAN! Least pretentious! Elitist extraordinaire! Liberal libertarian! Incapable of experiencing love! Check Safe! Commodore of the Eldritch Seas! Archmagus of the Eleventh Hall! Sheriff of the Uncharted West! Godfather of the IRC Mafia! Pun enthusiast! Quadster! Challenging Dunbar's number! Wikipedian!Approves of 4th Edition! 1,000 Blank White Cards! radio_free_tetris! Migratory! INT 18! Doesn't know when he's being genuine, therefore cannot form lasting relationships with people! Really into black chicks! Even more into Indian chicks and Blasians! Hates moderators! Loves the C word! Tronster! Thinks we should play more Worms! Always wins iSketch! Owns a Wii! Plays as Pikachu in Smash Bros! Wrote literotica! Wrote anime fanfic! Sorta into Asians! Lived and loved the 80's and 90's! Chattiest sig! Cyberzone ][ creator! Operand of the Greater Space Pimp Continuum! Helped lead the forum move!Wizard Date! Participated in the blue_tetris takeover! Pithiest one-liners! Walkin' on, walkin' on broken glass! Seems to have an invisible touch! Economist! Mario hackster! Owner of the most complex D&D campaign setting! Micromanagerial! FREEDOM is all-American! Slowly distancing! Supports the Democrats! Supports the old GOP! CATO Institute fanboy! Penn and Teller fan! Large, in charge, and on a barge! Heralded by community as genius hero! Proud yet humble recipient of the Mare & Raigan Award for 2008! CON 9! Dave of Nazareth! Communist is annoyed with me! Not half bad at images! F.Y.I. I am a medic! It's a spook house, lame ball. Too bad! Space Pimp II: Rags 2 Bitches! F.Y.I. I am a spy! Entire team is babbies! STR 10! Sorta appreciating scythe and atob again, for new reasons! Played CS:S briefly! Welcome to Nebraska! Do you think you can Live! Heist! Portrayer of the mighty 88 Shells! Joyous proprietor of the future estate of Kablizzy and blue_tetris! It's Batmen all the way up! They brought crystals to a sceince fight; that's a good way to lose your cat! Even SlappyMcGee! I'm about to run out of either primates or sexually transmitted diseases! One-upper! Toaster oven clairvoyant Mythomaniac! That's the Magic of Macy's! Half of Half! Spend all my time making love, all my love making time!

Postby Ampersand » 2009.09.04 (07:52)

The Nina, The Pinta, and the... Um... Santos Carlos Del Rio?

Demon Fisherman

Postby blue_tetris » 2009.09.04 (07:58)

Hmm..... judges?

2. Treponema carateum. *DING*
3. Parasol.
5. Sunglasses.
6. NiNa, the J-pop music group. *DING*
8. Santos Carlos Del Rio. *DING*
9. Crepe suzette.

Nice get! Really stellar work, Campbells! Alright, little Lisa. Let's see what you can do. *kiss*

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33

Postby scythe » 2009.09.06 (05:56)

Hmm. Swede Mason?
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Wizard Dentist

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.09.06 (07:24)

Fallout Boy - Thx Fr Th Spm

Walking on Broken Glass
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/jihad_cowboy

Postby Awesome67 » 2009.09.06 (12:26)

HOW MANY TIMES DO i HAVE TO SAY THIS? Who you are and what you do behind closed doors is your own business. I honestly think that this entire social debate is getting way out of hand. If you are attracted to a person in society of the same gender, then I say have at it. Publicly, this topic should never have been so strongly (and not to mention harshly) debated. I think that this economy and public have reached a point in their routine where whenever there's something remotely different from the way their lifestyles function, they freak out all over the place, and it's mass chaos. And people will never stop arguing.
Awesome67 Uses Magneto.
spoiler

^Sig By UniverseZero^
Playstation Network Account: WhackySage

"I need to get laid."

Wizard Dentist

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.09.06 (14:02)

Awesome67 wrote:Who you are and what you do behind closed doors is your own business.
Sure, provided these are the doors to your isolated shack on your isolated mountain which you never leave, ever.
But that's aside because homosexuality isn't a behind-closed-doors kind of thing, and neither should it be.

Not to mention that there's more issues surrounding homosexuality than just sex, y'know. As close as they come, i've never seen somebody stand up on a soapbox and say "Gay sex. Ewww."
Mostly they say things like "why the hell is my little boy going to school and learning about a kid with two mothers? That's not even a biological possibility!" Or "what are you doing in MY church, demanding that I change MY religion? Next you're going to want to marry your television!"
In fact, I've never heard anybody complain about the sex so much as the societal changes which affect everybody. And because they affect everybody, we argue about them.

Albany, New York
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby jean-luc » 2009.09.07 (07:23)

SkyPanda wrote:
Awesome67 wrote:Who you are and what you do behind closed doors is your own business.
Sure, provided these are the doors to your isolated shack on your isolated mountain which you never leave, ever.
But that's aside because homosexuality isn't a behind-closed-doors kind of thing, and neither should it be.

Not to mention that there's more issues surrounding homosexuality than just sex, y'know. As close as they come, i've never seen somebody stand up on a soapbox and say "Gay sex. Ewww."
Mostly they say things like "why the hell is my little boy going to school and learning about a kid with two mothers? That's not even a biological possibility!" Or "what are you doing in MY church, demanding that I change MY religion? Next you're going to want to marry your television!"
In fact, I've never heard anybody complain about the sex so much as the societal changes which affect everybody. And because they affect everybody, we argue about them.
Although I emphatically support gay rights (and indeed my own sexual orientation obligates me to), I absolutely agree with you. The issue raised by anti-gay-rights individuals is that it will somehow degrade their own quality of life. I think all of these fears are unreasonable, but it is important that those beliefs be targeted directly, rather than arguing a different point.
-- I might be stupid, but that's a risk we're going to have to take. --
Website! Photography! Robots! Facebook!
The latest computers from Japan can also perform magical operations.

Wizard Dentist

Postby SkyPanda » 2009.09.07 (08:38)

jean-luc wrote:Although I emphatically support gay rights (and indeed my own sexual orientation obligates me to), I absolutely agree with you.
I support gay rights. What I don't support is self-inflicted stupidity: the whole "stop thinking about it! stop talking about it! there's no problem!" kind of mentality, which isn't based on an actual absence of problem as much as a desire for there to be no problem. In fairness, I don't like this mentality to be applied to anything.

Walking on Broken Glass
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/jihad_cowboy

Postby Awesome67 » 2009.09.07 (20:25)

SkyPanda wrote:
jean-luc wrote:Although I emphatically support gay rights (and indeed my own sexual orientation obligates me to), I absolutely agree with you.
I support gay rights. What I don't support is self-inflicted stupidity: the whole "stop thinking about it! stop talking about it! there's no problem!" kind of mentality, which isn't based on an actual absence of problem as much as a desire for there to be no problem. In fairness, I don't like this mentality to be applied to anything.
I second this opinion.
Awesome67 Uses Magneto.
spoiler

^Sig By UniverseZero^
Playstation Network Account: WhackySage

"I need to get laid."

Albany, New York
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby jean-luc » 2009.09.07 (23:46)

Awesome67 wrote:
SkyPanda wrote:
I second this opinion.
I'm not saying that the problems should be ignored or glossed over, I'm saying that they need to be directly addressed. Arguing from a standpoint of "people can do whatever they want" fails to address the problems that are being proposed. I think the problems that people bring up are all nonexistent or negligible, but they must still be responded to or people won't see their concerns actually addressed, and no one gets anywhere.
-- I might be stupid, but that's a risk we're going to have to take. --
Website! Photography! Robots! Facebook!
The latest computers from Japan can also perform magical operations.

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2009.09.08 (00:00)

If you say "People can do whatever they want in their homes, but homosex is wrong." then there is still a very real problem.
Loathes

The Dreamster Teamster

Postby McP » 2009.09.08 (06:09)

banning any form of sexual activity that is not inherently detrimental to any persons involved is retarded
#John Frusciante#My Smile Is A Rifle#

My smile is a rifle
Won't you give it a try?
So we like the way we dance baby
When notes come to you
I know i love you
You're all i see

My smile is a rifle
And what are you?
My smile is a rifle
I'm pointing it at you
My smile is a rifle
You'll know when you bring me in from the rain

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.09.08 (09:10)

McP wrote:banning any form of sexual activity that is not inherently detrimental to any persons involved is retarded
Homosexual sex frequently turns homosexuals on to the idea of continuing to have homosexual sex; 100% of participants in homosexual sex have had homosexual sex. This is bad because homosexual sex is bad, for the reason mentioned in the previous sentence.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Richard Richards
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epic4ever
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Equilibrium » 2012.06.01 (13:48)

I´m bi and my family has got around at least 10 friends who are openly gay and in my opinion I don´t think it is fair to judge a person by the fact that he/she is into the same sex. And to mix in the religion in this discussion is just so wrong. I don´t know about those who are Christians and are against this. "How did the earth begin, well God created the earth in six days + one day of resting, then he created the humans now these two humans are worldwide known to be Adam and Eve. And they got two sons."

Now if you think about it, everybody knows that it is not possible for two men to have intercourse and that one gets to be pregnant. I would say that you are not human if you hate a specific kind of people and by saying this no I do not have anything against gay people no matter age, ethnicity, skin color, language or even their choice of clothes!

If you are against gay people then how big is the chance of you being as bad against people from Africa. Not big and that is what I hate about some people, that they hate them only because of the color on the skin and that´s about it, they seem incapable of answering the question completely. I don´t know if I have just been at the worst places the worst times but that is how I see the world we are living in as of now!
Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

"Asked ortsz for a name change"

Postby otters~1 » 2012.06.01 (23:01)

Equilibrium wrote:I´m bi and my family has got around at least 10 friends who are openly gay and in my opinion I don´t think it is fair to judge a person by the fact that he/she is into the same sex. And to mix in the religion in this discussion is just so wrong. I don´t know about those who are Christians and are against this. "How did the earth begin, well God created the earth in six days + one day of resting, then he created the humans now these two humans are worldwide known to be Adam and Eve. And they got two sons."

Now if you think about it, everybody knows that it is not possible for two men to have intercourse and that one gets to be pregnant. I would say that you are not human if you hate a specific kind of people and by saying this no I do not have anything against gay people no matter age, ethnicity, skin color, language or even their choice of clothes!

If you are against gay people then how big is the chance of you being as bad against people from Africa. Not big and that is what I hate about some people, that they hate them only because of the color on the skin and that´s about it, they seem incapable of answering the question completely. I don´t know if I have just been at the worst places the worst times but that is how I see the world we are living in as of now!
well yeaj but you are from finland
the dusk the dawn the earth the sea

Richard Richards
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epic4ever

Postby Equilibrium » 2012.06.02 (09:21)

So just because of that I´m from Finland, my thought makes no difference? Is that what you are saying? And what don´t you think we have problems with hate against gay people.?
Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/al__cair__raheakallan

Postby chocollama » 2012.06.03 (05:11)

I am not okay with gays. I thing it is wrong. This is my decision. For me. Whatever you choose, that's totally cool. Just don't hit on me. Despite that what I think you are doing is wrong, I'm going to treat you with common courtesy, because you're a human being, just like me. God doesn't hate you. God doesn't hate anyone. He loves all of his children. The fact that people would say "God hates gays" is the most upsetting part of this whole global gay-debate. It's kinda like if somebody has a high-risk for lung cancer but won't give up smoking. You don't have them because they smoke, you hate that they smoke. God doesn't hate you because you're gay, he is upset that you are making those choices, and still loves you.

These are my beliefs; you don't have to agree with me. This not written to or about anybody in particular in this forum. (Or anywhere, actually...)

Boeing Boeing Bone!
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/Seneschal

Postby Seneschal » 2012.06.03 (09:28)

Equilibrium wrote:So just because of that I´m from Finland, my thought makes no difference? Is that what you are saying? And what don´t you think we have problems with hate against gay people.?
He was joking.
chocollama wrote:I am not okay with gays. I thing it is wrong. This is my decision. For me. Whatever you choose, that's totally cool. Just don't hit on me. Despite that what I think you are doing is wrong, I'm going to treat you with common courtesy, because you're a human being, just like me. God doesn't hate you. God doesn't hate anyone. He loves all of his children. The fact that people would say "God hates gays" is the most upsetting part of this whole global gay-debate. It's kinda like if somebody has a high-risk for lung cancer but won't give up smoking. You don't have them because they smoke, you hate that they smoke. God doesn't hate you because you're gay, he is upset that you are making those choices, and still loves you.

These are my beliefs; you don't have to agree with me. This not written to or about anybody in particular in this forum. (Or anywhere, actually...)
wut

I actually watched Victim last night which deals with homosexual persecution. It's a little heavy handed in getting its message across, but it's still a very compelling and distressing film.

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT

Postby Tanner » 2012.06.03 (12:43)

chocollama wrote:I am not okay with gays. I thing it is wrong. This is my decision. For me. Whatever you choose, that's totally cool. Just don't hit on me. Despite that what I think you are doing is wrong, I'm going to treat you with common courtesy, because you're a human being, just like me. God doesn't hate you. God doesn't hate anyone. He loves all of his children. The fact that people would say "God hates gays" is the most upsetting part of this whole global gay-debate. It's kinda like if somebody has a high-risk for lung cancer but won't give up smoking. You don't have them because they smoke, you hate that they smoke. God doesn't hate you because you're gay, he is upset that you are making those choices, and still loves you.

This is the classic "love the sinner, hate the sin" apologism and I love it because Christians think it makes them more Christ-like. Fact is that there are several instances in the Bible where God says he hates people and groups of people. For example: Psalm 5:5, Psalm 11:5, Lev. 20:23, Prov. 6:16-19, Hosea 9:15 (I've specified the verse but linked to the chapter for context's sake). People who write that "God is love" like he's some giant, omnipresent security blanket obviously haven't spent much time reading the Old Testament because OT God is more the abusive step-father than the doting grandfather. OT God certainly hates a lot of people and unless you're prepared to make an argument for the transiency of the Christian God, he still hates to this day. Hates well and hates often. Sinner and sin.
'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: www.nmaps.net/user/Sunset
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Sunset » 2012.06.06 (21:49)

centerƒire wrote:
Equilibrium wrote:I´m bi and my family has got around at least 10 friends who are openly gay and in my opinion I don´t think it is fair to judge a person by the fact that he/she is into the same sex. And to mix in the religion in this discussion is just so wrong. I don´t know about those who are Christians and are against this. "How did the earth begin, well God created the earth in six days + one day of resting, then he created the humans now these two humans are worldwide known to be Adam and Eve. And they got two sons."

well yeaj but you are from finland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hS0ZtW3_zw

i'm sorry i just had to