--Awesome Freeware Games-- Updated today!

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.
Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PsychoSnail
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.08.20 (21:09)

Horizontal Shooter Redux is quite a lot of fun, despite the fact that I suck at it (I accidentally destroyed over half the friendly ships in a single wave). I really like using the tail to block shots from hitting the ships you have to protect. The visual effects can get pretty crazy, but that just makes it more fun.

Edit: Whoa, I just noticed that when your ship gets destroyed, one of the ships you're guarding replaces it. So you're essentially guarding your extra lives.

Edit 2: My highest score on HSR is 2553 - for some reason it wouldn't detect the end of the wave after that (I think I was on wave 7 - I destroyed all the enemies and the bullets on the screen, but nothing happened afterward), so I couldn't continue. That's the second time it's happened to me. :(
Oh, and I think there are achievements of some sort, too. You can view them by pressing TAB at the main menu.

Edit 3: I just got 4430, putting me on the top 16 list for the time being. I would've gotten higher, but the game bugged on me and wouldn't let me go past Wave 9. D;
spoiler

Opera innovates, Firefox emulates.
Last updated: September 27th, 2009

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/UnknownKirbyMan

Postby UnknownKirbyMan » 2009.08.27 (21:51)

This is an MMORPG called The Kingdom of Loathing.
Ummmm... Here. Info.
The Kingdom of Loathing (or KoL, as it has come to be known by its player base) is a free, comical RPG, brought to you by the folks at Asymmetric Publications.

KoL is currently in open beta -- it's open to the public to play, but it's not quite finished. More features and things to do are being added on a nearly daily basis. Despite its unfinished state, it has already attracted a thriving community of interesting, intelligent, and helpful players.

KoL is, and always will be, free to play, but donations are appreciated and rewarded.

KoL is played from the comfort of your browser, and is adorned with a staggering array of stunning hand-drawn images. It is turn-based, which means you get a certain number of turns (Adventures) each day. What can you do with these turns? I'm glad you asked.

An Adventurer is You!
Choose from one of six intoxicating character classes, including:

The Seal Clubber
Seal Clubbers hail from the frigid Northlands, because one character class always hails from the frigid Northlands. They rely on their Muscle to survive.
The Accordion Thief
The scourge of mariachis and polka bands, the Accordion Thieves have plied their malign craft since time out of mind. Their Moxie serves them well in both their adventures and their interactions with "the ladies."

Places to go, People to see

The Kingdom is broad and deep. Visit such picturesque zones as:

Danger!
The Kingdom contains scores of terrifying monsters. Among them are:

The ferocious Sabre-Toothed Lime!
The menacing Booze Giant!
And hordes of fierce Ninja Snowmen!

Fat Loot!
Hundreds of usable and equippable items fill the dungeons and wildernesses of the Kingdom, including:

Meatloaf Helmet
This is a helmet made out of meatloaf. You feel like a Bat out of Hell when you wear it. You would do anything for this helmet (but you won't do that.)

Filthy Corduroys
This is a pair of filthy corduroys. They're filthy because they came from the wardrobe of a filthy, filthy hippy.

Gnollish Autoplunger
This is a Gnollish Autoplunger. It can be used to quickly unclog toilets, or to lay a foul-smelling smack down on someone or something.

eXtreme Mittens
This is a pair of eXtreme mittens. They'll keep your hands eXtremely warm, without interfering with that which separates you from the animals -- your lack of razor-sharp claws.

Tis a great game to play in your spare time.

Kingdom of Loathing

I added the link. ~Snuggletummy

The Konami Number
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.09.04 (04:00)

Hello neighbor, how are you? Stay a while and listen, as I'm about to bestow upon you a vast amount of gaming information. Well, no, not exactly, see, I've found a bunch of awesome games, most are made with the Quake Engine, but they're still very good. Some you'll have heard of, others, probably not, so without further adieu, games, games, and more games.

--------------------------------
Warsow

Warsow, is a freeware FPS with some pretty fucking awesome graphics, and I realize that graphics don't make the game, but jesus, look at them, they're cel shaded, how can that NOT be cool? Anyway, so, besides that, it's your average run and gun sort of game, only every weapon (except your weakest melee and your weakest gun) has two types of ammunition that you can't switch between. Wait, that doesn't sound good does it? At first, no, but when you finally use the weapons, you'll realize that these weapons are pretty unique...ish. Anyway, here's how the ammo works, there are two numbers, one on top, one on bottom, on each weapon. The top number stands for how much strong ammo you have, and the bottom is for weak ammo. How does this work out? Simple. Let's say I'm using the rocket launcher, and lets say I have 10 strong rockets, and 30 weak rockets, when I fire, it'll use the 10 strong rockets first, and then when those are depleted, the weak rockets will be used instead. So basically, the game is all about skill, and how much ammo you have, which means camping really isn't something you want to invest in. Another awesome thing about this game is the fact that you can bunny hop, dash, wall jump, and those sorts of things, meaning, fighting, if executed properly, will be a total blast, literally. The game has about 7 game modes, ranging from Deathmatch, to Last Man Standing, to Capture the Flag, and it works on Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Warsow

Oh, and as a note, it's about 244 MB.

World of Padman

Ok, I know what you're thinking, this game looks so damned childish and retarded. Well I will agree with you, sadly. Then why, you ask, why the hell am I putting it here? Because while it may look childish and retarded, it makes up for the fact that most levels are damned huge, and it gets pretty chaotic, sure, I've only really played bots (And AF, back in the day) but other than that, it's an all around cool game. Sadly, I don't think there are many servers up, so you may have trouble with that, but I'm sure that if someone here downloads it, we're work something out involving servers (I hate the way I structure sentences). Other than that, try it if you ever get bored and need something to play. I can't say this'll last you for hours and hours, but at least it'll kill some time.

Download

Also, yes, this is about a 240 MB file, and it is, in fact, for Mac. Linux, and Windows.

Nexuiz

This is the last FPS based game for the moment, this one is much like the others, only this one looks incredibly badass, has tons of mutators, every weapon has a secondary fire, and it has tons of servers. I realize that most of you have heard of this game and/or played it, but still, the game has updated to the point where it looks so much different than what it used to look like. Just like the others, this game is very very fast paced and shouldn't be taken lightly. Damn this is a short description, but I'm getting tired.

Download

Ok, Honest to god, I have no clue what this is for, I know it's for Windows though, but that's about it. The downloads page wont tell me (And yes, I've played this before.) Anyway, this is also about 240 MB, imagine that.

Sim War 5

I may be tired, but that doesn't mean I can't put one last game here. Sure, I have many more games I could potientally put in here, but I'd rather not run myself dry of said games. Anyway, this game is actually pretty damned amazing, and should run on most PCs, but I'm most likely wrong. Anyway it's a third person shooter, and it's a hotseat action game (So no online multiplayer) but it plays like a war would play. You have your soldiers, and your goal is to wipe out the other team. While that may sound boring, this is one of those games that I, personally, can't describe on my own, and I don't know why. So even though I haven't given this an amazing off the chart description, you should still try it, because believe me, it's incredible.

Download

I do believe this game is also Windows only, and hey, it's not 200+ MB. This one is a measly 10 MB in size.

So yeah, this is my debt to society. I'll return to pay more of said debt in the future when I feel that I should post some more games. Until next time, tata for now.
Cracked.com wrote:All video-game characters are in fact made of cotton candy. This theory, and only this theory, can explain the cat-like hydrophobia shared universally by their kind. How else are we to believe that Frogger, a frog, is killed instantly on contact with water?

Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PsychoSnail
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.09.04 (09:55)

I actually downloaded Warsow a few days ago. It's quite a lot of fun, and the graphics are neat, but sadly, I can get like 3fps on it, so I'll have to wait until I get my new computer set up (which I just got today! :D) to really play it.
Coincidentally, I was also taking a look at Nexuiz a few hours before I saw it posted here, and I think I'll give that a try, too (also once I get my new computer set up).
spoiler

Opera innovates, Firefox emulates.
Last updated: September 27th, 2009

Oops Pow Surprise
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby noops » 2009.09.07 (13:17)

Snugs, have youp osted Subvein here yet? You were right, it is a FANTASTIC game.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.09.08 (03:07)

This is the only game, this is from my topic, and this game is incredible.

-+-----+-
Subvein
-+-----+-
Snuggletummy wrote:Have you ever wanted to play a game that has over 20 weapons, 20 vehicles (Not implemented yet, sadly), a leveling system, skill trees, and crazy gameplay? Well look no farther, as this is the game for you.

Subvein is a top down shooter that allows players to level up and invest in skills. Now, because I can't think of anything to say about this, other than the fact that it's damned fun, I'm just going to quote the site and their forum. It's like my thought process doesn't work when I'm not posting something in my Awesome Games topic.. odd.

The ultimate online mutation shooter!

* Dominate with over 20 weapons!
* Mutate and develop powerful skills!
* Unlock missions and special abilities!
* Drive over 20 crazy vehicles!
* Explore countless user-generated maps!

Sure, that wasn't much of a game description, but I shall back that up with the 3 skill trees.
From the creator wrote: Physical
The Physical skill tree is meant to be the fighter type.. the tank.. the meat shield. He goes running head first into combat.. taking damage from thousands of foes and keeps on pushing. He relies heavily on healing and defensive skills. This keeps him alive for longer and makes him tougher to take down. He's the sorta guy who in a clan match you want leading the charge.. attracting the opponents fire as the rogues and wizards pick them off one by one. He's also very group oriented.. he doesn't care if he's up against 3 guys or 10 guys.. it's all the same to him. As long as he's in the fight exchanging blows, he's happy. He's tough, he's a leader, and a team player. I believe that it makes sense for his ideal weapon type to be the machine gun. Just like the 'heavy' class in TF2.. a machine gun fits the tank type perfectly. Big damage for a big guy, taking on an entire army on his own.

Mental
The Mental type is the rogue. As a ninja he is sneaky.. an assassin. Against a group he's not so tough.. but 1v1 he'll kill you and you won't be able to do a thing about it. He relies heavily on deception and agility. He doesn't have the healing or defensive skills of the fighter type.. but that doesn't matter if you can't hit him. If he's in trouble, he escapes unharmed. He has patience, relies on his mind and his cunning to dispose of his prey. He boasts the most dangerous and damaging skills.. as long as they're against 1 person. He's the lone wolf.. he can take care of himself, and take care of his opponents, too. Ultimately he's a close range kinda guy.. closer than the fighter types. He likes to get personal.. so he can stab you in the back. His ideal weapon is the shotgun for the same reason. Up close, 1 shot, 1 kill. Efficient and deadly.

Cybernetic
The Cybernetic type is the all powerful wizard. As a mutant he utilizes the cybernetic implants installed into his body to great effect. He stands at the back of the pack, casting fireballs and bolts of electricity upon his enemies. He's old, and he's frail.. but boy can he dish out the goods. Whereas the rogue types rely on a great deal of self control to achieve victory.. the wizard is a bit more cocky and chooses to simply control his enemies instead. For survival he relies heavily on keeping his foes at a distance. He'd be easy to kill, if only you could actually reach him. His skills are expensive and costly, but they are real game changers. If he casts the right skill at the right time, he will lead his team to victory. As an attacker he boasts the most powerful area of effect skills, capable of extreme damage and powerful manipulation. He's the least dependant on weapons, and uses his large arsenal of skills to do his bidding instead. In a clan war he's the guy at the back who the fighters try to protect.. because without him, you're screwed. His ideal weapon is the sniper rifle. He keeps his distance, and influences the battle from afar. Shooting his foes down like flies.
Now, I know what you're thinking, can I mix and match the skills? The answer to that is a giant fuck yes. If you want, you can mix Physical and Rouge, meaning you can be extremely defensive, and also have the ability to become invisible, move at breakneck speeds, that sort of thing. But I bet you worry that that sounds boring, well here's the catch. Sure, you can mix and match the skill trees, but if you want to fully become the most powerful player, you must focus on one skill tree. Every 10 points you put into a tree, every skill that you have in said tree will gain a synergy bonus, thus increasing your power. Now I'll put up a screenshot or two, and link to the download, because I'm sure you're itching to play this wondrous game.

Oh, and one quick thing. The game allows up to 128 players in a game, has a built in map editor, and best of all, there are 3 teams. 2 of which are just the standard teams that every game has, but oh, what's this? The last team lets you kill everyone. You become a mercenary, and your job is simple, kill everyone else. Basically, they are loners, they fight..alone, and constantly play the game as if it were deathmatch.

Download

Alas, there's a slight downside to this game... yes, I'm afraid it's true. First and foremost the game, at the moment, only works with Windows, but they're going to fix that (Although some people have gotten it to work with WINE.) Secondly, the game is pretty deserted, but that's only because it's new. Hell, the creator insists that people advertise the game on other sites. Other than that, this game has some GREAT potential, just.. trust me on this, I only say this when I find a truly badass game.

Oh, shit, I forgot to add. I may or may not have a server up from time to time. It'll usually contain the word "Metanet" in it, so it wont be hard to find. If the server doesn't work, however, then connect to 96.28.57.110. Also, my upload speed isn't the greatest, but according to LF (Who also plays these games with me) there isn't much lag, and his ping was about 200. So yeah, just saying, if it does lag, then I'm sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
Neverdaunt:8bit
----------------------

^That's a picture of me.

Because I'm out of ideas for a nice descriptive post, I shall copy the stuff from the about section from the game's site.
The Site wrote:ABOUT
Neverdaunt is a dream like world of floating Islands and falling stars where nearly anything can happen. 8Bit refers to the era of computers with eight bit processors. N8 parodies the graphics style these computers were capable of and 8Bit also refers to N8 being a kind of Neverdaunt lite.
N8 is an online massively multiplayer virtual sandbox, A place to play, make friends, be creative and competitive.
BETANESS
N8 is in Beta, this means we are testing to see what works and what does not. It also means that there will be a lot more stuff added to the game as we go along. (check the FUTURE section)
COMBAT
You start out with a sword, hit someone with it enough and they die. But let people know your friendly by disarming it and wearing it on your back.
POWERUPS
You can get PowerUps from Arcade Cabinets by dropping Tokens into them. PowerUps Include things like MegaJump and Tag, and there are allways new PowerUp's appearing. You can only hold one PowerUp at a time, so choose wisely.
SHRINES
The world of N8 is split up into Cells and each Cell has a Shrine. If you, or one of your friends own the shrine, you can use it to Save, Set your colors, and And Control the Cell mode. If you Take over a Shrine, you'll own the Cell and you can make Tokens and Build all kinds of things.
BUILD
Once you own a Cell, it goes into 'Build' mode. As long as its in this mode, you and your friends can build whatever you like. You can make castles to protect your shrine, huge towers, or just make some weird sculpture. While its in this mode it cant be taken by other players. Eventualy the Cell will switch to 'Static' mode and you'll have to defend your Shrine.
STUFF
If you look around you might find hats and swords to wear. Soon you'll be able to buy new hats and weapons from the store!
CONSOLE
The console lets you do all sorts of things, like find information about the world, and set up your list of friends. Type GUIDE into the Console to figure out how to play the game.
FUTURE
Right now your just getting the very basics of N8. But soon there will be all sorts of cool things. Soon there will be Guns to shoot, More PowerUps to get, Achievements to unlock and Ships to sail through the sky!
Anyway, the game is only in beta, it's still a little buggy, but it's quite fun. Also, you can use WASD to move, so don't fret. The server is slightly laggy sometimes, but like I said, beta. Anyway, in game my name is Snuggletummy (how creative) and I hope to see you play this. I realize this may not be the best way to actually show off the game, but trust me, it's pretty good. Oh, also, if you happen to play the game and see some players named Aion or IX, they are the main people who made the game. Aion is IX's husband, so yeah, chat with them.

N8
Cracked.com wrote:All video-game characters are in fact made of cotton candy. This theory, and only this theory, can explain the cat-like hydrophobia shared universally by their kind. How else are we to believe that Frogger, a frog, is killed instantly on contact with water?

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/EdoI

Postby EdoI » 2009.11.01 (17:43)

Too bad this isn't updated anymore. I'll try to wake it up with one game:

TRILBY: The Art of Theft
Escapist wrote:The Art of Theft is a mission-based stealth platformer, with an emphasis on gameplay over story. Your goal is to infiltrate a variety of buildings in Chapow City, steal loot, achieve objectives and get out again with the subtlety of a flickering shadow in a ninja outfit.

The Story

1991. Two years before the events of 5 Days A Stranger. The eccentric British cat burglar Trilby is at large in an American city, robbing the rich to give to himself. Distrustful of his fellow man and patiently skilled in every aspect of burglary, Trilby is on an ongoing quest to scare the ignorant rich by hitting them where it hurts - their wallets. But will his arrogance cause him to bite off more than he can chew?

The Game

In The Art Of Theft, the player controls Trilby in a 2D stealth adventure as he embarks upon a number of daring high-profile heists in various outposts of wealth and power across Chapow City. With an arsenal of thief skills at his disposal, he must lift the trinkets and valuables of the idle rich while making as little fuss as possible.
Enjoy!
DOWNLOAD

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2009.11.04 (11:32)

It's partly community driven so post stuff if you have it.

Also try to the torchlight demo on steam, tis amazing (Demos are freeware right :P)

Also for people with broken sarcasm detectors I'm being sarcastic, that said you should play the demo.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.11.09 (21:08)

I'll update this more later, I'm currently at my dad's house and I'm going to Western Kentucky University in January, so yeah, I don't have much time to really mess around ;_;.

--------------
Igneous
--------------

Anyone remember that Igneous build that I linked to a while ago? Well it was FINALLY released. Alas, the system requirements are pretty crazy, but other than that, it's short, sweet, and AMAZING.

Igneous

-------------------------
Umbrella Adventure
-------------------------
The Homepage wrote:Umbrella Adventure is a hand-drawn, hand-animated adventure-platform game.

A story of friendship, trust, adventure and confectionery. Travel across land, air and water, through the darkest, deepest corners of the Forest, in wind, rain and snow, to solve the mystery of the theft of over one hundred delicious cakes, through a world brought to life by rich atmosphere, immersive soundscapes and detailed visual effects, presented in greyscale widescreen.

--------
Ark 22
--------
The Homepage wrote:Ark 22 is a full action-adventure title set in the distant future. An unidentified mid-orbit collision brings an exploration vessel to the surface of a frozen planet, billions of miles from home. The survivors are not alone...

Based on classic games from the 16-bit era of console adventure gaming, Ark 22 spans over 10 hours' play time, allowing players to explore an expansive game world filled with enemies, NPCs, item trading, upgrades, collectibles, side-quests, secrets and more. All this is brought to life by detailed writing, a solid plot and hand-drawn cinematic cutscenes.

-------
NAAC
-------
The Homepage wrote:NaaC is a fast single-screen arena shooter in which you can kill thousand of smelling aliens. Play as a space marine, kidnapped from the Earth, packed with only a jetpack and a pistol, and defeat a horde of monster!

* two different modes: Arena mode and Survive mode
* 100% original and high-res graphics
* 7 different weapons
* extended combo system
* original soundtrack
* online highscore
* a lot of blood on the floor...

NaaC is 100% Freeware.

Installer
Zipped Version
---------------------
I may add more games, until then, play these, they're absofuckinglutely fantastic. Also, most are Windows only, so, yeah, sorry about that.

Oh, also, about this not being updated anymore, well, it IS updated. I just have to do things, you know, get into a university (Which I'm going to Western Kentucky University), and spending some time vacationing until then. Also, as LF said, if you have a game, feel free to post it, it'll lessen the stress on me, yes, I stress about this topic.

Slice of Wisdom

Postby kai » 2009.12.01 (22:38)

Ackmest Dansam wrote:MechWarrior 4 and it's expansions are going free.

http://mektek.net/
Wait, this is gonna be free???

EDIT: dammit, thats just the trailer... well, i found the gameplay and still, thats pretty good for free. ill get it soon.

Postby Luminaflare » 2009.12.02 (15:49)

kai wrote:
Ackmest Dansam wrote:MechWarrior 4 and it's expansions are going free.

http://mektek.net/
Wait, this is gonna be free???

EDIT: dammit, thats just the trailer... well, i found the gameplay and still, thats pretty good for free. ill get it soon.
That isn't MW4, it's a Mechwarrior reboot coming out some time in the next two years.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.12.06 (19:01)

You all can update this topic, by the way. Just remember, I dislike double posting, so if you want more games, you need to post more. Also, I don't know why I keep saying this, but yeah, I'm not going to help much with the descriptive portions of the games. But, take it from me, the games I put into this topic are all extremely fun, so play them if you get the chance.

--------
Hover
--------

Hover! is a video game that was included on the Microsoft Windows 95 operating system CD. It was a showcase for the advanced multimedia capabilities available on personal computers at the time. It is still available from Microsoft and will run on all of Microsoft's operating systems released since Windows 95, including Windows 7. Also, in case you don't realize it yet, it's Windows only, and yes, I use to play this as a kid.

The game is a combination of bumper cars and capture the flag.

Hover

---------------------
Survival Crisis Z
---------------------
I took this from Wikipedia, as I still haven't played it much. But from what I have played, it's quite amazing. And I know you're thinking that I should've played it more, but the game doesn't have a proper volume control, and I usually talk on Skype.. so yeah.

Two game modes can be played, the first is Arcade Mode and entails surviving for as long as possible against an onslaught of zombies, this mode has been compared to Robotron: 2084. Story Mode involves gameplay similar to The Sims the player must scavenge for supplies, eat due to hunger and sleep to prevent fatigue, as well as improve skills to increase the chances of continued survival.[1] In addition to the zombie horde, two factions are present on the city streets; the Rebels and SWAT. The player can join either faction or remain neutral.[2]

The zombies function as the antagonists of the game, and while they are dangerous at night they can be used to attack faction members if they are lured to the zombies' locations. Three episodes are available in Story Mode with different missions and more enemies. The player advances the plot by taking missions or work from faction leaders. In work missions, the player can take over houses, look for secret dungeons, eliminate rival houses with C4 or simply roam the map looking for items and weapons to trade; as long as they watch out for threats from the post-apocalyptic world—living or dead. In missions the player performs special tasks like saving a scientist who is researching a cure.

There are a number of strategies to employ, weapons to use, and skills to help the player. The player character and party can be configured to accommodate different play styles, all the while dealing with the swelling ranks of living dead.

Also, Windows Only.

Survival Crisis Z

--------------
Anamaton
--------------

Well, this sucks. I want to put some screenshots, but the resolution is so fucking tiny... stupid game developers. Anyway, aside from that one error in their ways, the game is pretty damned awesome, alas, I don't really have anyone to play it with me, and I wish it was online.

Taken from the site.

Anamaton is a hotseat action platformer
You can have up to 4 Players
You can be on teams, or fight each other independently
When you collect money from kills, you can spend the money on shops and buy vehicles, structures, and more ammo for your favorite weapons.
There are 5 different environments, each with a variety of stages.
There are 4 different game types.
It has joystick support.
You can use 73 different weapons and equippable items.

Anamaton

Also, yep, you guessed it, Windows only.

------------------
Urban Terror
------------------

Even though this game is probably old news, I got the chance to play it and my god it's awesome.

Urban Terror™ is a free multiplayer first person shooter developed by FrozenSand, that (thanks to the ioquake3-code) does not require Quake III Arena anymore. It is available for Windows, Linux and Macintosh. The current version is 4.1.

Urban Terror can be described as a Hollywood tactical shooter; somewhat realism based, but the motto is "fun over realism". This results in a very unique, enjoyable and addictive game.

* CPU: Pentium 4 1.2GHz or higher.
* RAM: 256MBs (512MBs highly recommended).
* VID: NVidia or ATI card with 128MB RAM (256MB or more highly recommended).
* HDD: 50GB, but the more the better for additional levels.

Urban Terror

So hey, this is for Mac, Linux, AND Windows. But, and i know what you Linux and Mac users are thinking "There's a catch..isn't there.." And you're absolutely correct. The game is 700 MB. That, and the 50GB stuff, don't pay attention to that.

Not So Awesome Blossom
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby Vyacheslav » 2009.12.06 (19:38)

Hover! System Requirements: 256 color or better video card, Soundblaster 16 or compatible, 8mb RAM, 486 or better processor, Windows 95 or better.

Lifer

Postby EdoI » 2009.12.19 (18:46)

I know it's not awesome or anything, but today I finally finished my first game on YoYoGames:

Sledging

Vampire Salesman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/TheEverPresent

Postby TheEverPresent » 2010.01.08 (03:26)

Kingdom of Loathing is awesome btw, I've been playing that for ages.

Also, totally in love with dungeoncrawl :3
Add me on PSN! (steakloft)
Check out my image thread!
Collab me! PM me on the forums or talk to me on the IRC. Ask and I'll most likely accept.
Userbars

Lifer

Postby EdoI » 2010.01.08 (11:28)

Jetpack Basketball should hold your attention for some time. You can play it against computer or a living opponent. Download and see a screenshot here.

Vampire Salesman
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/TheEverPresent

Postby TheEverPresent » 2010.01.12 (03:30)

You should add more old games, those are the coolest/nostalgic-ist :3
Add me on PSN! (steakloft)
Check out my image thread!
Collab me! PM me on the forums or talk to me on the IRC. Ask and I'll most likely accept.
Userbars

Postby Luminaflare » 2010.01.12 (10:51)

Why can't you? It's partially the point of this topic, pointing out awesome freeware games. I think ST should have an update soon-ish though.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2010.01.12 (16:53)

-=Freeware Games Topic Abandonware Special=-

+----------+----------+
Mech Commander 2
+----------+----------+

Because I only played this last night with Luminaflare and AzMiLion (And god I fucking loved it), I'll just leave a link here so you all can download it and play it yourselves. Also, maybe if we can get enough people, we would organize a LAN game (VIA Hamachi) and play each other. I also forgot to mention, you can customize the mechs with weapons and whatnot. Also, yes, the picture is in..French? Whatever, the game isn't in another language, unless you want it to be.

Mech Commander 2

+---------+---------+
Earth and Beyond
+---------+---------+

I'm sorry, but I'm linking to one of my own screenshots, so excuse the size.

That's my ship.

Anyway, I personally love this game, it's a MMO, and..well it's quite good. Alas, I can't quite describe this as I constantly like to repeat things, and I lose interest after a while (ADD) so I'm going to copy/paste something from SomethingAwful.
Something Awful wrote:Characters gain three types of experience. Combat experience is gained through fighting and completing combat jobs. Being incapacitated results in "EXP Debt" and the character only receives half of the normal experience, until the debt is repaid. Trade experience is gained from selling loot, by building items and by taking trade jobs. Exploration experience is gained by from visiting navigation points and exploration jobs. In general each system has a number of "nav points". Visiting a nav point for the first time gives a certain amount of exploration experience. After a nav point is visited, it appears on the "radar" when the player is in the system.

Character creation is actually quite streamlined. After you select your race/class combination, you're tossed right into defining the look of your avatar and ship. Choosing the look of your character and designing your ship from its paint scheme to its hull and wing design is basically what character creation in this game is. Players don't assign ability points to their characters at the time of creation. Instead, each race/class combo has base ability scores that you build upon as you gain levels in the game.

This allows players a bit of flexibility in the formation of their characters. You gain points to spend on abilities every time you level up. These can then be spent right away to upgrade one attribute, or saved for later use as some higher-level abilities require more experience.

As players rise in levels, more and more cool abilities will become available. One of the best examples for those going through early levels is a cool wormhole ability that Jenquai Explorers receive at level 15. Once this is gained, those Explorers can open their own wormhole to quicken their journey across the galaxy. Not all skills are easily found, however. Some require you to really scour the galaxy and seek out the person who can teach them. These NPCs can be found on space stations, as well as on planets. "

Player's ships are constructed from a reactor, shield and engine. Optionally, a ship may have have weapons or other devices which may buff or debuff other ships.

Ship equipment can be reverse-engineered, rebuilt and enhanced. Player-made weapons could have faster reload times, shorter cooldown, and faster firing rates. Player-made shields gave greater recharge speeds in combat, and offered higher capacities. Player-made engines allowed for faster than average warp travel, higher thrusting speeds, a tighter turning radius, and shorter spin-up and spin-down times for warp jumps. Ammunition for projectile and missile weapons could also be player made, producing higher damage ammunition.
Anyway, here are the links to the help guide on their forum (Which you have to sign up to anyway just to play the game.)

Installation Guide
Extra Classes in case you want to use them.

----------------------------------------------
I'll update this with more games eventually, so in the mean time, please feel free to update this topic as much as you want, just, you know, provide a screenshot to the game. I personally think that it'll make the game you posted less likely to play if you don't add pictures. So..erm..add pictures.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2010.01.29 (01:06)

Sorry for the extreme lack of updates, but I'm currently at my University...in a private dorm...anyway, yeah, school.

I'll probably take the descriptions from Something Awful's forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Transcendence
------------------------------------

Actually, I think I might type this one myself. Anyway, Transcendence is a rougelike-esque game. First and foremost it's in real-time, so forget turn-based fighting. Second, well, you're in space. You control a ship, and basically live space life. Man, that sounds boring, right? Wrong. In the game, you can find VARIOUS typed of weapons, a prime example is the screenshot up top. That's a gun I found, think Rapid fire space shotgun that fires about 32 large pieces of metal per shot...yeah, they get THAT crazy. Anyway, in the game, you start off low, poor, and barely equipped. I haven't really beaten the game yet, but I've been messing around a little. For starters, you can dock at stations, fuel stations, things like that right. Well, you can also destroy them and loot the shit out of them, but don't think you'll get away so easily. They'll hunt you down. Anyway, this pissy description doesn't really capture the gameplay that well, but believe me, this game has me hooked. It's VERY good and you all need to play it at least once.

The game is also incredibly moddable, and in fact, I'll link you to a little pack that'll make the game even better than it already is.

The site Please note, the download on the site is version .99. The current version that's out is located here but alot of mods aren't made for it (Providing you want to mod it.)

Mod, only works with .99

Instructions. unrar to a Transcendence/extensions folder. If there isn't one, make one.

----------------------------
Marathon
----------------------------

Yes, I'm putting Marathon here, why? Because A. it's been developed on a fan-made engine, and B. it's available for Mac (Duh), Windows, and Linux.

Marathon, what is Marathon? Marathon is basically one of the first games developed by Bungie. The screenshot is taken from Marathon: Infinity, but who cares, they're all fucking amazing. I don't really have much to say about this game other than it's actually pretty complex for an older game, and it'll make you think when you play it. Also yes, that screenshot has me using Hi-Res textures. Also, sorry for the lack of a description, but honestly, the game is amazing, that's about all I need to tell you...well..that and Infinity can play online..ish. I think you need Hamachi, but still.

Marathon

---------------------------
Dragonica
---------------------------

And now the main event.

Dragonica Online is a MMORPG. Now, I know what you're thinking, "OH GOD NOT ANOTHER RPG!!" or something like that. Well, this one is actually pretty decent. It's almost like Maple Story, but don't let that turn you away, the game is in 2.5D, and it plays like an arcade game. It has a combo system, a couple system (Which should be utilized alot) and all in all is a great game to play. In fact, I've been playing it myself and I personally find it pretty good. Now, the leveling, leveling is pretty nice in this. I've been playing since last Friday, and I'm currently level 18, levels 20, 40, 60, and 80 are all when you change jobs, so it's pretty good about making it reasonable, unlike Maple Story's which is 10, 30, 70(I forgot..I'm probably wrong) and 120. Now, the game has 4 classes. Each class has two paths that they can go through, Job Wise. Also, I believe that there are "secret" job changes. Anyway, the 4 classes are Thief, Archer, and Warrior and Mage. Seems pretty boring so far, but look at it this way, The archer. The archer can become a Ranger, which uses crossbows, and a Sniper. Now, what does this have to do with anything? Well, get this, the Ranger can use chainguns, grenades, bazookas, and can summon a FUCKING TANK. Yes, a FUCKING TANK. What other MMOs let you summon a FUCKING TANK? The Sniper class further expands upon the arsenal by allowing you to upgrade your FUCKING TANK and make it stronger. Not to mention that they essentially get a super chaingun and the ability to, and I shit you not, CARPET BOMB THE AREA. So screw using magic, let's BOMB THE FUCK OUT OF THE AREA. ANyway, yeah, sorry for all the cussing, just had to say that the game is, and I repeat. FUCKING TANKTACULAR (Awesome).

Here are some screenshots, both are from my main character. One shows me (wearing a skull hat thing) and creepily standing behind some unfortunate female player. (female as in, the character..I'll assume that the person playing the female is either a fat guy, or a guy like me.)

The second picture demonstrates how the combo system works, and yes, you heard me right, it has a COMBO SYSTEM. None of that click, wait till you attack, take turns attacking, oh he died, move onto the next target. No, in this game, the fighting is in REAL-TIME, like, you attack when YOU want. Which is why the combo system is awesome. for every 20 hits, your experience multiplier goes up by .1. You can get to a possible 1.5x EXP per kill, providing that you still have your combo, and you are still brutally murdering enemies. Getting to 100, which is when you get 1.5x, for all you math haters, for everyone except the thief is pretty hard, especially for me since my game has a strange bug where it closes alot.. I need to fix that. Anyway, my combo? Well, look for yourself.

Anyway, now that I've discussed the game, and sadly, only one class, I'm going to wrap this up by saying, I play on the European server..because I CAN. Here is the site, CLICK ME FOR FREE POR-MMORPG

Also, as a note, you'll have to click the "Register my IP" button if you live outside of Europe, which, I do, so I clicked it. Why play on this server? It's not as crowded, and I kind of like it.. the people are really friendly too.

So, see you in game. I go by GammaWolf in game, and..yeah.
-------------------------------------------------------
Wow, I haven't typed that much in a while.

Damn You're Fine
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/heartattack

Postby Heartattack » 2010.02.02 (04:25)

Really awesome job with the games... I've downloaded like 5 and 3 of the larger files are still downloading. Tron is awesome. Infiniminer is awesome. Dungeon Crawl is awesome. Good job. (Picture Hancock saying that.)
spoiler

All sigs thanks to my secret lovers.

I won a contest once.
Tsukatu wrote:ass assass

Queen of All Spiders
NUMA Profile: http://www.freeWoWgold.edu
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby SlappyMcGee » 2010.02.02 (12:26)

/me takes credit for discovering Armegatron and showing it to the community.
Loathes

On the Psychic Highway
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/script

Postby Scrivener » 2010.02.04 (03:58)

A pvp-oriented, but also great pve, mmorpg I played about a year ago and /really/ enjoyed, but there were issues with Acclaim, the company, being retarded, but it looks like they've stepped up to hack prevention calls, idk. I'm downloading it now.

http://2moons.acclaim.com/

some mature content. lots of cussing, some sexual reference.
summation: pick a class from 6 7 (they added one):
Azure Knight: pretty much all melee
Bagi Warrior: melee with some magic
Incar Magician: magic
Segita Hunter: bows/crossbows
Vicious Summoner: summons "familiars" (beasts) and uses staff-spells or twin sword melee
Segnale: healers as well as curse-casters and pretty good damage with a wicked-looking whip
the new one, forget the name, uses spears and shield i think

Fantasy-based world, bunch of monsters, lots of pvp opportunities, /extremely/ customizable characters, free to play but you can buy special currency which helps more at higher levels. the pay currency is usually only used to increase chances of success when upgrading weapons and armor and stuff in certain ways. It can also get you mounts which make traveling faster (although there are teleport stations) and you can buy cool-looking outfits that just cover your armor.

and i forgot to mention the graphics are completely epic, I'll try to get some screenies if I can get the game to work. i hate my computer.
spoiler

<Uuni> i dont see the escape in religion

Remembering Hoxygen

Postby capt_weasle » 2010.03.29 (17:04)

One Button Bob. Short and easy (with the exception of the final boss) but very fun.
"How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot: Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resign'd" ~ Alexander Pope
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars" ~ Hugh Laurie

Cowboy Magician
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Drathmoore
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Drathmoore » 2010.04.09 (20:29)

I'm actually rather surprised that no one has mentioned this before, but...

Iji

It's a 2D "strategic platform shooter", made using Game Maker. The story's pretty detailed, and interestingly enough, changes depending on how you play the game. While the plot remains constant, there are various changes depending upon whether you go all-out, killing everything in site and whether you let everything live. Along with several twists, and some pretty dark humour (such as advertisements for Komato games, such as "Rocket Jumping" and "Ultra Mine-Field Run and Seek"), the writing in this game is pretty good. The music is absolutely fantastic - especially for the final boss. And I completely respect the fact that the game was produced by only one person (excluding the music). I very much recommend this to everyone.

Link to the Iji page on Daniel Remar's website.
Screenshots of the game