--Awesome Freeware Games-- Updated today!

Talk about gaming culture and other aspects of PC and console games and systems.
Ego Lancer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/PsychoSnail
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.06.04 (00:46)

UnknownKirbyMan wrote:How do you create multiple save files in Cave Story?
Rename Profile.dat and you'll be able to save another game without overwriting the other save. To use the renamed save, just rename it back to Profile.dat.
spoiler

Opera innovates, Firefox emulates.
Last updated: September 27th, 2009

The Konami Number
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.06.12 (03:11)

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. I've been living life, for once. At the moment, I only have one game, and to be completely honest, I only played it for a few minutes. I really like it though, awesome concept. The only issue that it might have could be that it only has one server up. sure, nobody's in it, which means Metanet server, but still. The game is in Open Beta, yet you have to register on their forum to get it, not too hard.. anyway, without further ado... Also, it'll be copy and paste mostly.

-----------------------
Metal Drift
-----------------------
Metal Drift is post-cyberpunk arena combat in drift-tanks. It is team-based online multiplayer. You can level up your player and your weapons over time to unlock more weapons and upgrades for your tank. Metal Drift features 56 different tank configurations with various weapon and upgrade selections to choose from. In addition, the drift-tanks have a unique energy system that allows the pilot to direct acquired energy into a speed boost or to power up weapons for extra damage. The game also features 5 different arenas, each with their own racing lines and boost tunnels.

And here, have a screenshot from the game on my PC. I actually have the decency to show some of the.. oh fuck it, just look down. Yes, large images, sorry guys.
HUD

Weapon Choices

Upgrades

Video The game is REALLY good. Watch that in HD.

The Site, useful for information and all that Jazz
Link to their forum You have to register to their forum, go to the getting started section, and click the only topic. This game does require Steam to play, which is cool to me. You'll get a CD key that'll let you play it. Also, about PC requirements, your guess it as good as mine. It runs on my PC, but this is a new PC.

About 30 minutes after I made this post last night, I played it. Really awesome game, you all should really try it.

Also, you'll never guess the size. it's 53 MB.
Cracked.com wrote:All video-game characters are in fact made of cotton candy. This theory, and only this theory, can explain the cat-like hydrophobia shared universally by their kind. How else are we to believe that Frogger, a frog, is killed instantly on contact with water?

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2009.06.12 (22:30)

the background of the arena in the pictures reminds me of one of the muliplayer levels in tau fir warrior....

this looks really good :)

unfortunatly my computers a tad rubbish :/

Oops Pow Surprise
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby noops » 2009.06.15 (18:36)

I suffer from bad pc-itis as well, sorry Looks awesome, though.

RoboBarber
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Aphex_N
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Aphex » 2009.06.26 (10:41)

[line][/line]
Dwarf Fotress
download/official site
DF wiki (very useful)
Graphical version (for those who don't like ASCI characters)

This is quite a well known game, but I'm going to post it anyway, for all of you who have missed this gem.

To start off, you generate a new world, which can be a vast sprawling world with citys, forests, volcanoes, rivers, mountains and much much more. Or you could condense these aspects into a much smaller world (I recommend to genrate a smaller world if your PC is a tad slow). But this not only genrates landforms, it also genrates history, as you see towns spring up and collapse, you see landforms form before your eyes. The history of your world can be examined in much more detail within "legends mode" which allows you to go through the entire history of your world, which includes everything from the rise and fall of the greatest civilizations, to the events that occured in a tiny cave.

There are two modes once you have genrated your world:
dwarf fotress- where you create your own dwarf fotress and take control of a tonne of aspects
Adventure mode- This turns the game into a rogue like, where you can go and explore your land as a signle hero.

The dwarf fotress mode is amazing, you create your own fotress, with a stupid amount of detail, from creating river channels to irrigate your crops to creating glass from raw materials, from creating deadly traps to training elaphants.

The only thing that may put people off, is the inevitable doom of your fotress. There is no way to win, the point of the game is just to stave off the death of your dwarves for as long as possible. It is a very hard game, as one small mistake can lead to a domino effect. Though, as the game motto states "losing is fun", so losing is all part of the experience, it allows you to learn and adapt, as well as allowing you to try out new locations.

I cannot recommend this game enough.

The Dreamster Teamster
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby Combo Bustperson » 2009.06.29 (09:04)

Aphex wrote:[line][/line]
Dwarf Fotress
download/official site
DF wiki (very useful)
Graphical version (for those who don't like ASCI characters)

This is quite a well known game, but I'm going to post it anyway, for all of you who have missed this gem.

To start off, you generate a new world, which can be a vast sprawling world with citys, forests, volcanoes, rivers, mountains and much much more. Or you could condense these aspects into a much smaller world (I recommend to genrate a smaller world if your PC is a tad slow). But this not only genrates landforms, it also genrates history, as you see towns spring up and collapse, you see landforms form before your eyes. The history of your world can be examined in much more detail within "legends mode" which allows you to go through the entire history of your world, which includes everything from the rise and fall of the greatest civilizations, to the events that occured in a tiny cave.

There are two modes once you have genrated your world:
dwarf fotress- where you create your own dwarf fotress and take control of a tonne of aspects
Adventure mode- This turns the game into a rogue like, where you can go and explore your land as a signle hero.

The dwarf fotress mode is amazing, you create your own fotress, with a stupid amount of detail, from creating river channels to irrigate your crops to creating glass from raw materials, from creating deadly traps to training elaphants.

The only thing that may put people off, is the inevitable doom of your fotress. There is no way to win, the point of the game is just to stave off the death of your dwarves for as long as possible. It is a very hard game, as one small mistake can lead to a domino effect. Though, as the game motto states "losing is fun", so losing is all part of the experience, it allows you to learn and adapt, as well as allowing you to try out new locations.

I cannot recommend this game enough.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php
I would use this version of DF. It's faster and has some handy changes.

Also, if you let the game it /will/ be more process heavy than the most graphic intensive games.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.07.06 (02:11)

-----------------------
Noctis
-----------------------
Noctis is a space simulator where you explore planets, moons, starts, the works. It was made in 2000, and the graphics aren't the greatest, but I love them. the resolution of the game is 320x200 (You can go fullscreen), which is about as good as it gets till the next update comes out (Yes, it's being updated). Now, I bet you're wondering, how the hell is this any different from any other space simulator? Easy, this one is a procedurally generated, and with up to about 70 - 80 billion stars, planets, moons, pulsars, whatever, it has ALOT to it. Now I bet you're thinking, oh the file size must be huge. Well you just thought wrong. The file size is about 2 MB. Enough of me jabbering, well, one more thing. This game requires you to at least read the manual, maybe not ALL of it, but at LEAST the basics. Maybe to the end of the part that tells you how to navigate.. I'll even throw in a video to help you, which isn't made by me. Well... one more thing, the planets you can land on MAY have seasons, animals, buildings, fauna... the works, but you have to search. You can also name everything, upload them to a database, and forevermore when people who find your planet, moon, star, whatever, they will know that it's yours.

Noctis

Flight Controls. This is pretty damned helpful if I do say so myself.

As a note... this MAY have some troubles on Vista, and I'm not sure if it's compatible with Mac or Linux. If it's not, sorry, I can't help you.

Alternate Noctis Download. The current link is down..erm.. use this.
Cracked.com wrote:All video-game characters are in fact made of cotton candy. This theory, and only this theory, can explain the cat-like hydrophobia shared universally by their kind. How else are we to believe that Frogger, a frog, is killed instantly on contact with water?

Bayking

Postby Animator » 2009.07.06 (02:37)

That's wicked.

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.07.06 (18:12)

Dwarf Fortress is a great game. I started playing it a few months ago, and even though I still haven't bothered learning everything there is in it, it's really fun to play from time to time (I've only played Dwarf Fortress mode, though). Watching the world generation is also surprisingly fun. :D

I've also played Noctis, but I never got the controls (maybe I should read that manual...). The procedural generation is awesome, though. By the way, how do you get it to be windowed? It's always fullscreen for me.
spoiler

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.07.06 (18:45)

PsychoSnail wrote:I've also played Noctis, but I never got the controls (maybe I should read that manual...). The procedural generation is awesome, though. By the way, how do you get it to be windowed? It's always fullscreen for me.
Why would you want to play it in windowed mode? Either way, Alternate Noctis Download. Extract that somewhere, open it, and run DWNoctis. Also, read the damned manual. I didn't say to read it just for you to disregard it.

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2009.07.10 (12:45)

MechWarrior 4 and it's expansions are going free.

http://mektek.net/

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.07.13 (06:28)

--------------------------------
Iter Vehemens ad Necem
--------------------------------

What is this you ask? Is it some sort of demonic scripture that, if read, will summon a Orcus, who will then tear your head off and shit down your neck? No. It's not. it's in fact a rougelike. We all know that most rougelikes are the same. And this one isn't really any different. Oh wait, this one is slightly different. In this rougelike, you can have your limbs cut off, and you can eat them, wield them, throw them, hell, you can even hack off your enemy's limbs, pick them up, beat them with them, then proceed to eating them. Not to mention that the one that I'm going to link you to is 3D. It's not the greatest, but it's still incredible. Sorry for the shit description, I ran out of ideas.

Screenshots.

Also, take note that the last screenshot is from another version of IVAN (The version I'll be linking to has better graphics, and 3D mode.) Alas, I think it's Windows only, so yeah, sorry for the other guys.

IVAN 3D.rar
IVAN 3D.zip

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I have. Also, as a note, check the game's configuration when you start it, and anotther thing, when in 3D mode. 7 and 9 turn you left and right.

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/UnknownKirbyMan

Postby UnknownKirbyMan » 2009.07.23 (17:33)

Please note that spelunky has been updated from 99.8 to 99.9.

Here is link. http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4017.0

And here is what is updated.

+ Added to level editor:
+ Trees and tree branches.
+ Adding "!" to the front of a level name will make it not appear in
the Load Level menu.
+ Pressing the attack button will now start a test game.
- Fixed bug: entering a new custom level from a previous one would
reset the amount of life, ropes, and bombs.
- Fixed bug: certain objects could not be deleted properly.
+ Added new item.

= Separated config menu from main game (config.exe).
= Lowered shop prices.
= Increased scarab value.
= Made chests more worthwhile.
= Changed craps houses to dice houses with new rules (no cheating!).
= Changed the way that flares work (no more flare button).
= Increased radius of explosions horizontally.
= Trees can now be climbed without the aid of items.
= Tweaked altars.
= Tweaked player movement and physics.
= Beefed up machete.
= Bow has a special action. Prees A to make a bomb arrow, A again ta arm the bomb, release X to launch bomb arrow.
= Each bow now gives the player 6 arrows.
= Players can now exit the tutorial level to the title screen.
= Miscellaneous other tweaks and improvements.

- Fixed bug: on some configurations, joysticks were not detected by game.
- Fixed bug: in certain situations arrow traps would not fire when they should.
- Fixed bug: locked chest would not always appear when it should.
- Fixed bug: ceiling traps were rendered inactive in last build.
- Fixed bug: ceiling traps could still cause damage while inactive.
- Fixed bug: being hit by a projectile while holding an item and switched to a
bomb or rope would cause you to lose the item.
- Fixed bug: shopkeeper could shoot you through a single tile.
- Fixed bug: held damsel would drop inappropriately when near spear trap.
- Fixed various bugs involving the player and ladders.
- Fixed bug: getting stunned on a spring would cause you to bounce extra high.
- Fixed bug: teleporting could cause the player to "land" in mid-air.
- Fixed bug: dropping blocks on [SECRET]'s head incapacitated him.
- Fixed a lot of other miscellaneous bugs and graphical glitches.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.08.01 (00:17)

I'm not in the mood to write a description. So this will be short, and yes, they are good games.

-----------------
Voxelstein 3D
-----------------

Very good game, not much to say but to try it. Just remember, you can destroy anything.

Voxelstein 3D

I'll add more to this post when I find more games. I mean, I've found MANY games, but just so people don't bitch about system requirements I wont post them. So thank those who like to whine.

And here's a word from our sponsers.

Life Time Achievement Award
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/UnknownKirbyMan

Postby UnknownKirbyMan » 2009.08.05 (16:06)

No one has added anything for a while so I'm going to.

An Untitled Story
In An Untitled Story, you begin as an egg in your nest, and the rest is up to you to figure out. Fight 18 unique bosses, traverse a huge game world, and unravel a mysterious storyline. The single player game features non-linear progression and 5 difficulty levels for extra replay value. Also included is Heist Mode, a multiplayer capture-the-flag-style versus mode. Hook up a USB gamepad before starting, to play it as it was meant to be played.
Image Image Image

This is a great game. I have 39% done.

http://mattmakesgames.com/games/AnUntitledStory.zip

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.08.08 (01:17)

-------------
Wolf Team
-------------

Hello everyone, I haven't really put up a game in a while, so I thought, maybe I should. Now, this game may look like a shitty game at first, in fact, at first I thought it looked like a shitty game. Take note that the game is pretty fucking good. It's extremely balanced, and isn't hard at all to pick up an play. It's an FPS. Because I really can't think of anything to say about this, I'll only quote the site with what the game has, and show a picture or two. Probably one picture though. The site doesn't really have any good pictures, and I've only really taken one. If anything, the pictures don't do the game any justice. Actually, I will say something, most FPSs, you go around killing people, and that's the game. In this FPS, you go around killing people, and you can transform into a werewolf. Didn't see that coming, did you? The game has like 56 or so weapons, and 9 different wolves. not to mention that you can make your own loadouts, complete with a primary, secondary, and two grenades. Just about every weapon is upgradeable. What does this mean? This means if I buy a Famas, I can then add a scope, maybe some extra ammo, and things like that to it. Now, a problem you all have is this. When you buy a weapon, you can't keep it forever, instead, you can buy it for 1 day, 7 days, 30 days, or 90 days, so it's not all bad. Personally I like buying them for a day, and if I like the gun, I then work to buy it for a longer time. The game is currently in beta, though, so not all the wolves are there, and other than that, yeah. If I get enough people to play this, maybe I'll try to make a clan, that'd be fun. Also, I'm only going to put up one screenshot, solely because screenshots don't do this game justice. The screenshot basically shows my current weapon.

Wolf Team

Also, take note that the game may not work on older systems. I'm sorry if I doesn't, but because I don't have an older system, well.. yeah. I'll try to find a game everyone can play next time.

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.08.08 (06:29)

Snuggletummy wrote:When you buy a weapon, you can't keep it forever, instead, you can buy it for 1 day, 7 days, 30 days, or 90 days
Aww... I was actually considering playing this (assuming it doesn't kill my PC like nearly every other FPS made within this decade), but I really dislike rental systems like that. It's why I stopped playing Combat Arms last year, because I didn't have enough time to earn the money needed to keep buying the guns again.
Other than that, though, the game looks pretty neat (especially the werewolf thing).
spoiler

The 700 Club
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/BionicCryonic

Postby Yoshimo » 2009.08.11 (19:31)

Haven and Hearth

A wonderful freeware MMORPG, with mass emphasis on the RP part. Basically, you're thrown into the world with no testicles, and you have to find or build your own camp.

Oh, you will be buttfucked if you die, you can't respawn or anything. You can inherit you LP [EXP] though, but it stills sucks.

Edit: Snuggletummy here. I'm adding pictures to your post as you didn't add them when I told you too. I'm also adding a few more details. Touché

My character is the one standing in the blood, don't I look cool? (Snuggletummy, that is) That's also the current Metanet village.

And this is a town I found out in the wilderness. Notice the giant flaming deer skull? That makes it so that if someone isn't your friend, they can't destroy your stuff.

Enough of that though, if you'd like to join our community in game, you'll need to find one of us. How do you do that? You'll have to either get on Ventrilo, or go to irc and get on #Doomsday. I'm hoping that we can get a lot of people into this game, as it'd be awesome to have the town of Metanet. The game also has skills. Each skill opens up a new set of things you can do. What kinds of skill are there? I'll show you in the form of a picture at the end of this post. Sorry If I'm not adding much, but I'm in the middle of making this place look good, and making sure my allies don't die (A.K.A. BionicCryonic and Aniimator.) Also, if you want to know the current people who play this, then..erm, here it is: Leaff, Animator, Stasho (A friend of mine who frequents Vent), Luminaflare, Quote, kirby, ATR, SlappyMcGee (Although his PC wouldn't work with it really), and Ranny (She hasn't done much yet.)

Skill Tree
Guide for starting off READ THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
A more extensive guide.

I really hope to see you in game. Oh, one more thing, the server that this is on has moments where it gets REALLY laggy, mostly because their server is on a shitty PC, and they wont get a better one. Which sucks, because this is such a great game, and because of this one thing, it makes it less awesome. SO uh, yeah, just have patience and it'll all work.
spoiler

Beyond a Perfect Math Score

Postby Luminaflare » 2009.08.11 (20:47)

PsychoSnail wrote:
Snuggletummy wrote:When you buy a weapon, you can't keep it forever, instead, you can buy it for 1 day, 7 days, 30 days, or 90 days
Aww... I was actually considering playing this (assuming it doesn't kill my PC like nearly every other FPS made within this decade), but I really dislike rental systems like that. It's why I stopped playing Combat Arms last year, because I didn't have enough time to earn the money needed to keep buying the guns again.
Other than that, though, the game looks pretty neat (especially the werewolf thing).
Eh the rental system in this isn't that bad since everyone has to use the normal guns to start with and everything is really balanced, besides you start out with 40k gold.

The Konami Number

Postby Snuggletummy » 2009.08.12 (01:09)

Everyone, I told Bio he could add Haven and Hearth, so yes, it's one of the Freeware games, which means you MUST play it, or I'll come to your house and eat you.

Anyway, Another game by me, found by Yahoozy, so thank Yahoozy for this program of badassery.

---------------
Tasty Static
---------------

I'm just going to paste the stuff from the site, as the site has images that I can't link to.
The Site wrote:Tasty Static is a videogame where you go really fast and jump a lot. You'll probably get really annoyed along the way too.
It's a clone of an excellent PC oldie called Skyroads by BlueMoon Interactive, which is required playing if you like this kind of stuff. Tasty Static is currently available in three fantastic flavors. There is also a Windows-only level editor.
Nevermind, here's an image.

Tasty Static

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Atilla

Postby Atilla » 2009.08.12 (05:19)

Mmm, I saw Tasty Static earlier but I can't get it to work. I've tried downloading the Windows version in various browsers and whatnot, but it keeps complaining that res.shd is corrupt when I try to unpack it. It might just be my wobbly connection, though. Any suggestions?

Ego Lancer

Postby PsychoSnail » 2009.08.12 (06:58)

Atilla wrote:Mmm, I saw Tasty Static earlier but I can't get it to work. I've tried downloading the Windows version in various browsers and whatnot, but it keeps complaining that res.shd is corrupt when I try to unpack it. It might just be my wobbly connection, though. Any suggestions?
I downloaded it using Opera and unpacked it using WinRar, and it worked fine.
That vehicle is really bouncy.
spoiler

The Konami Number

Postby Atilla » 2009.08.13 (01:14)

Eh, I just tried downloading it again and it worked this time. Must have just been my connection sucking. Carry on.

Legacy Elite
Legacy Elite
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ianb

Postby iangb » 2009.08.17 (01:55)

OMG SKYROADS.

I used to love that game. In fact, I think I have an XP-friendly version of it (and some 'xmas special' versions, etc) knocking bout on an old PC of mine, I'll have to see if I can find it... if it's the abandonware I think it is, I'll upload it somewhere for y'all.

*returns to lurking*

IN-POST EDIT: Scratch that, Tasty Static has a link to the skyroads homepage where you can download 'em all for your playing pleasure. Enjoy!
The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head

The Konami Number

Postby Atilla » 2009.08.17 (09:56)

OMG IT'S IANGB.

In other news, I made a level. Bask in its glory.