I want to make a ned alternative... for mac. check it.

Discuss N mapping theory, N maps, and other aspects of map-making.

Moderators: PALEMOON,  yahoozy

Quarks

Postby Badachelli » 2010.04.10 (05:52)

Ok. What I am doing here is making a tutorial that can give people a FULL understanding of the way NED makes its level code. I figure that way, people can understand it, we might get a nice alternative for NED on a mac. I think NED is dreadful. Along with windows (this better not turn in to a OS war thread) and I haven't Found one for mac. So. I am willing to work with somebody on this project, but right now I think that if anybody who has made or attempted to make a NED alternative, take a look at this file and add their 2 cents to it. This may seem dumb, or wishful thinking, but I am fairly competent in writing code, and I think that this would be great.

This is a serious project and I would hate to see it die :(
In case you are wondering "well, why does he need MY help?"
Here is the lowdown.
My classes:
AP Physics
AP Pre-Cal
AP Government
AP English III
Marching Drumline

That schedule doesn't give me enough time do do much but small collaborative programming.
Last edited by Badachelli on 2010.04.25 (05:39), edited 1 time in total.

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2010.04.10 (09:21)

"AP Pre-Cal"? Presumably Pre-Calculus? That's an AP these days?
Back in my day, lowest math AP was Calc AB.
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Quarks

Postby Badachelli » 2010.04.10 (14:48)

Tsukatu wrote:"AP Pre-Cal"? Presumably Pre-Calculus? That's an AP these days?
Yeah, my freshman year I was in PRE-Ap Geometry, but my sophomore year it changed to just AP Algebra 2

Quarks

Postby Badachelli » 2010.04.10 (14:57)

Inspired wrote:A fun place to check out is the old metanet forums. Here you can find a ton of ideas, (failed and succeded) which involve a new Ned.

Noteworthy programs:

NED Plus by Nameless Probably the most well-formed Neditor alternative.
NED++ by LoD Also a well-formed alternative
NED+ by -Gc-
Nartismic //by Zander An n-art focused object maker.
iMap by LazyLump An only tiles map editor.

Noteworthy ideas:
DDA Editor by peace_bear0

Hope these links help you out idea wise. I personally fail when it comes to programming so I won't be putting my hand up to help but sure I'd be happy to test out a beta version.

Also, Welcome to the Metanet Community!
Hmmm.. some of those programs look like they could be useful. Do you think the developers would cough up the source code?
I if this takes off (which I hope it will) ill let you know ; )

And this one
NED+ by -Gc-
Has the problem that his editor cant read n level syntax, which is what my little tutorial at the top explains perfectly. well, its a WIP.

Diagnosis Mohawk: Bahrain Cock Theory
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/spawn_of_yanni
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Spawn of Yanni » 2010.04.10 (16:31)

Most (if not all) of those guys aren't around anymore, so I don't think you could get the source code from them. You could try emailing them using the old forums but don't be too surprised if you don't get a reply.
feline disrespect from behind

Quarks

Postby Badachelli » 2010.04.10 (22:10)

Spawn of Yanni wrote:Most (if not all) of those guys aren't around anymore, so I don't think you could get the source code from them. You could try emailing them using the old forums but don't be too surprised if you don't get a reply.
Yeah, thats what I figured. Ill try emailing them about it. I just dont have any idea where to start. And I dont have enough time to figure it out all by myself. Thats why I made this topic!

Damn You're Fine
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/littleviking001
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby LittleViking » 2010.04.11 (06:50)

If you need a reference on the various object and tile formats, this is a good place to start: http://n.wikia.com/wiki/Code_editing
The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace...

Hawaii Five-Oh

Postby blackson » 2010.04.11 (23:06)

Sidke has already made an editor that also supports additional tile edits (invert, rotate, etc.). However, you can't playtest your maps in the same window.

Quarks

Postby Badachelli » 2010.04.25 (05:45)

Alright guys, I have made the code in Python AND Perl (wasnt fun) that ONLY reads the tileset from the text file containing the map data, no GUI output at this point, but it can READ the file and if i was more proficient at gui i would have at least tried. this is probably all that is going to get done until... july. then i will have some time.

If anybody has any ideas for new code formats post 'em!
I MIGHT use the format that some other editors use, but i think this will end up not being so cross-platform and will end up PPC Mac only.

Cross-Galactic Train Conducter
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/T3chno
MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby T3chno » 2010.04.25 (17:31)

I was just gonna comment on this. But there is not AP Pre-Calc, it's probably just AB, and BC being regular AP Calc.

Quarks

Postby Badachelli » 2010.04.26 (03:43)

Techno wrote:
I was just gonna comment on this. But there is not AP Pre-Calc, it's probably just AB, and BC being regular AP Calc.
Oh, crap. I mean PAP