FAQ: NUMA / Nmaps.net

Talk about the Nmaps.net website.

Moderators: Rose, Sunset

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/29403
Steam: What's Steam
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby 29403 » 2008.11.01 (23:32)

Exüberance wrote:OK, is there any way to search for a map by it's title?

Exüberance's überpost
Agreed. I think this has just complicated things. I missed looking at the worst maps as well.
Last edited by 29403 on 2008.11.02 (00:48), edited 1 time in total.
sig by donfuy.
Not from Charleston, South Carolina
This Forum is probably the best forum that i have ever used and i would just like to say how proud i am to be a member of this forum

Bayking
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/exuberance

Postby Exüberance » 2008.11.01 (23:52)

I missed looking at the worst maps as well.
hahaha yeah. It was always entertaining to read the comments of the worst-rated maps which consisted mostly of plagarised versions of the top-rated maps.\

Also:
überpost
I LOL'D
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
Comic Activity-O-Meter: (how often I'm updating my comic)
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
+ Loitering: Like comatose, but for short amount of times.
- Turtling (Loitering/Semi-Active): Really slooooww updates
+ Semi-Active: One every 2 weeks...ish?
- Quasi-Active (Semi-Active/Active): Averaging about 2 comics every 3 weeks
+ Active: Loosely defined status, but about a weekly update
- Over-Active (Active/Power-leveling): About 2 comics a week
+ Power-leveling: About 3 comics a week. Possible a schedule, possibly not
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Loquacious
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/29403
Steam: What's Steam
MBTI Type: ENFP

Postby 29403 » 2008.11.02 (00:52)

Exüberance wrote:
hahaha yeah. It was always entertaining to read the comments of the worst-rated maps which consisted mostly of plagarised versions of the top-rated maps.\

*sniff*

http://web.archive.org/web/200712241031 ... &order=asc
sig by donfuy.
Not from Charleston, South Carolina
This Forum is probably the best forum that i have ever used and i would just like to say how proud i am to be a member of this forum

Bayking

Postby Exüberance » 2008.11.02 (00:56)

[quote="29403]
29403 wrote:
Exüberance wrote:
*sniff*

http://web.archive.org/web/200712241031 ... &order=asc
[/quote]
Yeeesss! This was a triumph! Found Afternoon Dragon using that.

Let's play quote pyramid
ExüberNewsFeed: Exuberance is mostly <AFF> (Away From Forums) for a while, though I may still participate in epic contests/threads. When I return, I shall bring several comic updates (enough to finish season 1) and hopefully 1 or 2 games- at least one of which is N-related
(Click here to see what each level and half-level means in terms of updates per time period)

NOTE: If I just add a bunch of comics in one day, but plan on going back to normal after that, I probably won't update the status.
+ Dead: Canceled. Done. Maybe you'll get a random comic like once a year, but it's pretty much done.
- Zombie (Dead/Comatose): The comic is probably done regular updates forever, but I'll probably still add something once in a blue moon. It's still POSSIBLE, that I'll raise the status up, but not very likely. Maybe I'll have a comicplosion for like a week, then go back to being dead
+ Comatose: Complete stand-by. No (or very few) updates for some amount of time, but the comic's far from being over
- <AFK> (Comatose/Loitering): Stand-by, but you might possibly count on a few updates once and a while. Again, this is temporary
- Über-Epic (Power-leveling/COMICPLOSION!!): In some cases, this may actually be mean updates more frequently than COMICPLOSION!!, but I'm defining this level as a non-organized comic rush, kind of like a few days after my comic started
+ COMICPLOSION!!: Daily updates for a minimum of 5 days (since the daily updates started. It remains at this status until the 5, 7, whatever days are done)

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein
My N+ Vector Sprite Sheet ::: My Caption Contest ::: My Comic :::Puzzles of the Exuberant ::: DEFEND YOUR NINJA: THE FLASH GAME (Release Date TBA)
Exüberance on WoW
Maps in the Fernat Epic (so far): (meh, let's put this in a spoiler too. My sig's gettin too big. I'm such a packrat :p)

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Beyond a Perfect Math Score
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Nexx
MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby Nexx » 2008.11.02 (04:52)

Yes, I think we can all agree that the absence of title searches is quite annoying.

Luckily you can use Google. Type in "afternoondragon site:nmaps.net" and voila!

Sometimes with more common titles it doesn't work so well, but usually it hits the map you're looking for in the first 10 results.

Also, please note that this is not a permanent state of NUMA. Arachnid intends and has always intended to get a revised title searching system up; it's just taking him months to do it. If you haven't already, visit NUMA's uservoice page and vote for title searching.

Bayking

Postby Exüberance » 2008.11.02 (17:37)

Wouldn't the easiest solution be to just add a title: tag? We have it for author tags. Spaces in the title name shouldn't be a problem. it just gets converted to an ASCII code or HTML code anyways.

Exüberance on WoW

Nmaps.netNmaps.net

Postby Nexx » 2008.11.03 (01:18)

Exüberance wrote:Wouldn't the easiest solution be to just add a title: tag? We have it for author tags. Spaces in the title name shouldn't be a problem. it just gets converted to an ASCII code or HTML code anyways.
I don't know why you think title tags don't exist -- they've been around as long as the tag system has. You just can't search for them in new NUMA. Why? To my knowledge, Arachnid has not made that clear, but I assume it has to do with spaces in title names, which are fine for tag creation but are a bit of a nuisance for tag searching. Before NUMA's facelift, you could search for titles, but if there was a space, you had to use quotes, like this: title:"the right angle". That's more of a workaround than a true solution, so Arachnid decided to leave out title searching on new NUMA until he came up with an improved version of the system.

Yes, since NUMA has been without title searches for months now, it's quite ridiculous. (Though Google alleviates that) Having to put quotes around multiple words is a bit inconvenient, but it's not like it's a huge flaw. Typing "action" and getting all maps with action in the title and author name as well as normal tags would definitely be neat, but it's totally not necessary, and in any case, can't we have normal title searches in the meantime? This line of thought leads me to believe (since I have faith in the admins) that perhaps the Google App Engine can't deal with the quotes system or something. Arachnid is annoyingly neglecting to give the community updates or even just general information about it, so we just sit and wait. And wait.

If you really want answers, you can try contacting Arachnid about it.

Remembering Hoxygen
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rikaninja

Postby Rikaninja » 2008.11.07 (07:01)

A very effiecient thread i must say. Though a lot of reading it's worth it if you want to learn it.
Nice Work!

Unsavory Conquistador of the Western Front
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/origami_alligator
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby origami_alligator » 2008.11.07 (09:41)

Nexx wrote:I don't know why you think title tags don't exist -- they've been around as long as the tag system has. You just can't search for them in new NUMA. Why? To my knowledge, Arachnid has not made that clear, but I assume it has to do with spaces in title names, which are fine for tag creation but are a bit of a nuisance for tag searching. Before NUMA's facelift, you could search for titles, but if there was a space, you had to use quotes, like this: title:"the right angle". That's more of a workaround than a true solution, so Arachnid decided to leave out title searching on new NUMA until he came up with an improved version of the system.

Yes, since NUMA has been without title searches for months now, it's quite ridiculous. (Though Google alleviates that) Having to put quotes around multiple words is a bit inconvenient, but it's not like it's a huge flaw. Typing "action" and getting all maps with action in the title and author name as well as normal tags would definitely be neat, but it's totally not necessary, and in any case, can't we have normal title searches in the meantime? This line of thought leads me to believe (since I have faith in the admins) that perhaps the Google App Engine can't deal with the quotes system or something. Arachnid is annoyingly neglecting to give the community updates or even just general information about it, so we just sit and wait. And wait.

If you really want answers, you can try contacting Arachnid about it.
It's not really a tag more than it is a word search. The difference between them is that if you look up "title:bum" the search will return maps with the word "bum" but also maps with the word "bummer" or "bumblebee." It doesn't look for a specific number of letters in a specific order like the tag search does, it looks for all instances of the search term in all titles.

With the new-fangled keyword search that I believe Arachnid is currently working on (in his spare time of course) you will be able to type words in the title: search out of order and it will return the map(s) with those words in it, regardless of what order they appear in the map name.
.,,,,,@

"Listening intently, the thoughts linger ever vibrant. Imagine knowledge intertwined, nostalgiacally guiding/embracing."
<Kaglaxyclax> >>> southpaw has earned the achievement "Heartbreaker".
Promoted to the rank of Ultimate Four by LittleViking
[15:34] <Brttrx> ADDICTION IS GOOD, MR BAD INFLUENCE
[20:05] <southpaw> 8:05pm, Wednesday, 29 April, 2009, southpaw completed N.
[22:49] <makinero> is it orange-orange-gold yellow gold silverthread forest urban chic orange-gold?

Remembering Hoxygen
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rikaninja

Postby Rikaninja » 2008.11.16 (03:43)

Handy, or should I say pawy. Nice read and helpful. Nice work.

The maximum possible score in one turn at darts.
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/

Postby bhz » 2008.12.05 (00:53)

How do you say, lets say: "give me a userlevel for <user>'s FIRST 50 maps"
<Izzy> Who are you?
<Meta> I'm meta?
( #n-highscores )

Postby Nexx » 2008.12.05 (01:44)

bhz wrote:How do you say, lets say: "give me a userlevel for <user>'s FIRST 50 maps"
So you want the earliest 50 maps by a user. That user has n maps (n>50). To get the earliest 50 maps, you just need to know where to start, and that's on map (n-50). So if we let m=n-50, then you'd type up this:

Code: Select all

http://nmaps.net/userlevels?q=author:username&count=50&start=m
But with NUMA in its current state, you will almost certainly have trouble with truncated results. And when you're doing userlevels instead of browse, it doesn't tell you that, it just cuts your listing short. So I'd recommend you set count=50 and just browse through their maps until the end, and then punch in the URL above.

Postby bhz » 2008.12.06 (00:35)

Avarin wrote:
bhz wrote:How do you say, lets say: "give me a userlevel for <user>'s FIRST 50 maps"
So you want the earliest 50 maps by a user. That user has n maps (n>50). To get the earliest 50 maps, you just need to know where to start, and that's on map (n-50). So if we let m=n-50, then you'd type up this:

Code: Select all

http://nmaps.net/userlevels?q=author:username&count=50&start=m
But with NUMA in its current state, you will almost certainly have trouble with truncated results. And when you're doing userlevels instead of browse, it doesn't tell you that, it just cuts your listing short. So I'd recommend you set count=50 and just browse through their maps until the end, and then punch in the URL above.
Then what if you want to, let's say, "FIRST 50 maps with the tag nreality"
<Izzy> Who are you?
<Meta> I'm meta?
( #n-highscores )

Postby Nexx » 2008.12.06 (03:13)

bhz wrote:Then what if you want to, let's say, "FIRST 50 maps with the tag nreality"
Well I already explained how you do the "first 50 maps" part, so I assume you just want to know how to specify tags in the URL. I'm going to give you a quick overview, but for future reference, look at the N Wikia page about this.

So tags, regardless of how many you want to include or exclude, all go together. Notice that the "count" and "start" commands are separated by the "&" (ampersand) symbol. This symbol separates different commands. All tags are treated together as one command, so to speak, and that's "q".

The format for tags is "q=tag+tag+tag+...", so if you want NReality maps, you'd type "q=nreality". If you want NReality maps by an author, type "q=author:username+nreality". (NUMA is not case-senstitive) You can go on and on like this. Let's say you want race NReality maps by a certain author, but you don't want any that have playermods. Then you'd use "q=nreality+race+author:username+-playermod". Does that make sense?

Again, if you want to know how to play around with the URL in general, read the Wikia article, and if it doesn't all sink in, bookmark it so you can reference it later.

Postby bhz » 2008.12.06 (12:35)

Avarin wrote:
bhz wrote:Then what if you want to, let's say, "FIRST 50 maps with the tag nreality"
Well I already explained how you do the "first 50 maps" part, so I assume you just want to know how to specify tags in the URL. I'm going to give you a quick overview, but for future reference, look at the N Wikia page about this.

So tags, regardless of how many you want to include or exclude, all go together. Notice that the "count" and "start" commands are separated by the "&" (ampersand) symbol. This symbol separates different commands. All tags are treated together as one command, so to speak, and that's "q".

The format for tags is "q=tag+tag+tag+...", so if you want NReality maps, you'd type "q=nreality". If you want NReality maps by an author, type "q=author:username+nreality". (NUMA is not case-senstitive) You can go on and on like this. Let's say you want race NReality maps by a certain author, but you don't want any that have playermods. Then you'd use "q=nreality+race+author:username+-playermod". Does that make sense?

Again, if you want to know how to play around with the URL in general, read the Wikia article, and if it doesn't all sink in, bookmark it so you can reference it later.

No. No. You answered the wrong part of the question...unless you know a way to find out how many maps there are wiht a certain tag.
<Izzy> Who are you?
<Meta> I'm meta?
( #n-highscores )

Postby Nexx » 2008.12.17 (00:46)

bhz wrote:No. No. You answered the wrong part of the question...unless you know a way to find out how many maps there are wiht a certain tag.
D'oh! I see your point now.

For that, ideally you would just set "start" to something, and then go higher and higher until there aren't anymore maps, and then come down until you find the end, and proceed from there. However, given NUMA's current "results truncated" BS, you'll probably be forced to scroll through until you got to the end. Sucks, I know. As is says in the Wikia article, there used to be a function so you could invert the order. That way if someone wanted a list of the first 50 action maps ever submitted to NUMA, that person wouldn't have to scroll through 150,000 maps. Arachnid should really re-implement that. In fact, I'm going to go put that on uservoice right now.

Doublemember

Postby Myrrhman » 2008.12.20 (21:52)

How can I put my favorite maps on random (like clicking the random button would produce random maps, but i want the field to be limited to my favorites)?

Postby Nexx » 2008.12.21 (01:56)

Myrrhman wrote:How can I put my favorite maps on random (like clicking the random button would produce random maps, but i want the field to be limited to my favorites)?
It appears that you can't. For some reason it won't let you randomize a listing of favorites. Even if you use ifl=true, which is supposed to take you to a random map in your listing, it just takes you to the first map every time. Strange.

I can't help you, Myrrhman. :(

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Planet_Apes-lawgiver-statue.jpg
MBTI Type: ISTJ

Postby Pikman » 2008.12.24 (17:50)

First, sorry for mega-bump.
I downloaded Firefox 3 and figured out the RSS feed setup on it; it's actually pretty easy.

RSS Feeds on Firefox 3
1) Navigate to the page you want to get a feed for. I'll just use Hot Maps as an example: http://nmaps.net/browse

2) Hit the little orange button next to the URL. That takes you to the feed.

3) Find the "Subscribe Feed" button. I just put the feed in the bookmarks list.

4) Your feed is now added under the Bookmarks tab at the top of the page. It will show you the ten most recent items in the update without you going to the page at all.

I'm still not sure how to set feed properties yet in Firefox. I might update this post when I do figure it out.

edit: Hey, I was right. It was a while before I made the Firefox instructions.

Intel 80486
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/epigone

Postby epigone » 2008.12.25 (05:18)

Thanks for that update Pikman. You're quite useful, we'll keep you around a bit longer.
Member of the Metanet Forum community since June 3rd, 2006.

The Best of Epigone

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Planet_Apes-lawgiver-statue.jpg

Postby Pikman » 2008.12.26 (02:11)

epigone wrote:You're quite useful, we'll keep you around a bit longer.
Hahahah. I'm not useful at all unless I want to be.

More notes:
~ Safari is not compatible with RSS feeds (or at least, the build I'm using). Instead, go to the feed page you want (example: http://nmaps.net/browse.rss?q= ) and bookmark it.
~ Opera: I have no idea what that is. :p

Plus (Size) Member

Postby TheSeer » 2009.01.19 (08:09)

In Opera just go to the url (http://nmaps.net/browse.rss?q=), hit the big Subscribe button. This'll take you straight to the feeds area which in future can be accessed by the feeds manual in the taskbar.

Depressing
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/rennaT

Postby Tanner » 2009.01.20 (13:38)

'rret donc d'niaser 'vec mon sirop d'erable, calis, si j't'r'vois icitte j'pellerais la police, tu l'veras l'criss de poutine de cul t'auras en prison, tabarnak

Walking on Broken Glass
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/%5D%7BNO3

Postby //Zander » 2009.02.05 (10:18)

i dont know about on windows, but on mac for safari, you go down to the bottom right and click "subscribe in mail". all the rss is done via mail. so when you're checking your email it all comes up... yay!
also I figured out how to subscribe to things like n-art or authors.
for example you go to the site you want.
eg. http://nmaps.net/browse?q=author%3Amrgy05 you copy the bit after q= so you get author%3Amrgy05
then you paste that on the end of the link so you get feed://nmaps.net/browse.rss?q=author%3Amrgy05

The Konami Number
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/_destiny%5E%2D

Postby Destiny » 2009.04.22 (06:39)

There is an FAQ on nmaps.net. My name is in it :D

so... what's the purpose behind this?

nmaps FAQ