Metanet 0ths Thread

Are you a rad N player or want to put some rad N players to the test? Talk about your skills and challenge each other at N in this forum.

Moderators: EddyMataGallos, TheRealOne

How many votes will this poll get?

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
13%
38%
13%
13%
No votes
No votes
No votes
13%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
13%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8

If you ain't first, you're last!
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/EddyMataGallos

Postby EddyMataGallos » 2021.03.11 (23:11)

Checked all the new runs Pony, so glad to see fresh activity on our good ol' trusty N :D Particularly good is the 88-2 reroute to garner that big lead, but also great to see the MBD innov being executed in 31-4, a pity about that sloppy ending.

That date is no coincidence, 2016 was the year N++ was released, and the few actually active highscorers still remaining mostly migrated over there, including myself. Definitely do give it a shot if you haven't already, and as you (probably) know, the community mostly hangs over at Discord now (discord.gg/nplusplus).

Also nice stuff with the new runs in 34-2 ska ;)
ImageImage
Impressive flag by ska -|- N2High - My software for N2.0 -|- Awesome sig by Hendor
About me & Stats (Spoiler)

Hi, im Eddy, a Spanish highscorer and current Grandmaster of N. I've been playing N since 2006, I beat it on the 8th September 2008, and NReality later too. Started intermittently highscoring Metanet in 2010, although serious highscoring started in late 2011.

Current Stats
• Completed N on 8th Sept. 2008
• Completed NReality on 24th Dec. 2010
0th Place on Metanet 0th Rankings with 443 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Top20 Rankings with 599 Scores.
0th Place on Metanet Top10 Rankings with 599 Scores.
1st Place on Metanet Top5 Rankings with 595 Scores.
0th Place on Metanet Level 0th Rankings with 361 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Episode 0th Rankings with 82 0ths.
0th Place on Metanet Total Level Score: 72142.900 (20:02:22.900)
0th Place on Metanet Total Episode Score: 35669.900 (09:54:29.900)
0th Place on Metanet Total Point Rankings with 11669 Points.
0th Place in NReality 0th Rankings with 235 0ths.
0th Place for a grand total of 676 Total 0ths.
• Winner of some contests (BUST, 100, 9000, Bounty Hunters, SOAST) and of some rounds of some contests (ROPP, NErratic, Red Ball, NReality Team Arena)

{Info as of 01/Feb/2015} The info may be outdated.

Achievements
• 6th highscorer to reach 100 Metanet 0ths
• 4th highscorer to reach 200 Metanet 0ths
• 1st and only highscorer to reach 300 Metanet 0ths
• 1st and only highscorer to reach 400 Metanet 0ths
• 8th ever Grandmaster
• 2nd* highscorer to reach 599 top-20 Scores
• 1st highscorer to reach 599 top-10 Scores
• 10th highscorer to reach 70k Level Score
• 5th highscorer to reach 71k Level Score
• 2nd highscorer to reach 71.5k Level Score
• 1st highscorer to reach 72k Level Score

Relevant Dates
• First 0th: 31-3 on 04/Oct/10
• Reached 100 Metanet 0ths on 25/Feb/12
• Reached 200 Metanet 0ths on 30/Sep/12
• Reached 300 Metanet 0ths on 16/Mar/13
• Reached 400 Metanet 0ths on 04/Sept/14
• Reached highest amount of 0ths on Jan/2013
• Became the Grandmaster on 12/Apr/2012
• Reached 70k Level Score on 25/Dec/11
• Reached 71k Level Score on 13/Jan/11
• Reached 71.5k Level Score on 01/Aug/12
• Reached 72k Level Score on 04/Jul/14
• Completed N 1.4 on 08/Sept/08
• Completed NReality on 24/Dec/10
• Reached 100 NReality 0ths on Oct/2011
• Reached 200 NReality 0ths on Nov/2011
• Reached 100 Top-20 Scores on Aug/10
• Reached 200 Top-20 Scores on Nov/11
• Reached 300 Top-20 Scores on Nov/11
• Reached 400 Top-20 Scores on Dec/11
• Reached 500 Top-20 Scores on Jan/12
• Reached 599 Top-20 Scores on 04/Apr/12
• Reached 599 Top-10 Scores on 18/Nov/12

Deds & Images (Spoiler)

Thanks to ska for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to BluePretzel for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to da_guru for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this full episode to me!: 00-0 00-100-2 00-3 00-4
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this mappack to me
Thanks to zoasBE for partially dedicating this map to me
Thanks to VODKALOVER for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to runningninja for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to zoasBE for partially dedicating this map to me
Thanks to trance for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to llabesab for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to the23 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Traveleravi for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to 123leonidas321 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to the23 for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Uniden for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Uniden for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Ors_II for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Sunset for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to blue_rocks for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Leonhard for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Daggafork for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to VODKALOVER for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to Armaghan_Ali for dedicating this map to me
Thanks to RandomDigits/SpartaX18 for dedicating this map to me
Sorry if Im missing any ded.

ImageThanks to leo.

NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/Arctic_Pony

Postby Pony » 2021.04.03 (06:51)

thanks eddy! yeah it might take me a while to get up to the level of cleanliness we see from players like you and macro xD.

a little update, took 97-3 and 31-2. five down, sixteen to go.
^sig by Izzy

Smoothest Taint in the West
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/ska
Steam: www.steamcommunity.com/id/

Postby ska » 2021.04.04 (06:31)

Pony wrote:
2021.04.03 (06:51)
thanks eddy! yeah it might take me a while to get up to the level of cleanliness we see from players like you and macro xD.

a little update, took 97-3
Damn! It's only 0.3 slower than the MBD! Perhaps more shocking, though, is that ridiculous angle you got off the thwump. How did you even find this? I don't think I've ever seen someone get that kind of angle off a thwump before.
Pony wrote:
... and 31-2.
WHAT. THE. FUCK. I was thinking... hmm... 0.075 saved on this level? He must have found some way to clean up the corner jump or something (which, incidentally, ties the MBD). But NOPE. What a ridiculous idea. What's even sicker is that your ending was really suboptimal. Were you just shocked to get to that point? Were you playing it safe? Just curious to see what was going through your mind with this run.
Pony wrote:
... five down, sixteen to go.
What are you referring to? Are you saying you have 15 more levels that you plan to improve or that you otherwise have innovations for? If so, that's crazy. I'd like to see L3X's face from a decade or more ago saying that all the innovations had been executed (or some such baloney).
Last edited by ska on 2021.04.05 (05:18), edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Pimp
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/macrohenry
MBTI Type: INFP

Postby macrohenry » 2021.04.05 (00:42)

Great work, Pony! I always suspected that 31-2 could be done a lot faster with some corner jumps, but they are very tricky. Clever route change in 97-3 as well. I suspect the thwump boost had happened by accident at some point? ;)

I took the opportunity to do some highscoring as well. Grabbed 41-2 with a new route (should certainly be faster considering how much I lost at the end by not dropping onto the corners), 57-2 with a tiny poorly-executed innovation near the end and 97-3 as it's one of my favorite levels in the game.

Postby ska » 2021.04.05 (05:37)

Awwwww, yeah. The route change on 41-2 fascinates me. Are we absolutely sure that a route implementing a triple jump on the right side can't be faster? I did some very rough testing, but I couldn't seem to get anything convincing.

Postby Pony » 2021.04.05 (06:46)

hey macro! we've got a party going now :D

the thwump boost wasn't discovered by accident haha. the route felt pretty natural i thought. believe it or not it's actually possible to shoot through to the upper right as well, but i only managed it a couple of times. and i agree about 31-2, i think there's a lot more time waiting to be discovered in there.
ska wrote: Were you just shocked to get to that point? Were you playing it safe?
yes lol.
ska wrote: What are you referring to?
in my earlier post i made an open challenge for the community to reach 21 new 0ths for this year. when i posted my last comment we were at 5, and now macro just pushed it to 8. i think we'll smash that number! but you can expect most levels i take to be by major route change/innovation. i'm not quite skilled enough to out-clean the pros, and crazy innovs are really what i enjoy most in this game.
^sig by Izzy

Postby ska » 2021.04.05 (09:24)

Pony wrote:
2021.04.05 (06:46)
hey macro! we've got a party going now :D

the thwump boost wasn't discovered by accident haha. the route felt pretty natural i thought. believe it or not it's actually possible to shoot through to the upper right as well, but i only managed it a couple of times. and i agree about 31-2, i think there's a lot more time waiting to be discovered in there.
ska wrote: Were you just shocked to get to that point? Were you playing it safe?
yes lol.
ska wrote: What are you referring to?
in my earlier post i made an open challenge for the community to reach 21 new 0ths for this year. when i posted my last comment we were at 5, and now macro just pushed it to 8. i think we'll smash that number! but you can expect most levels i take to be by major route change/innovation. i'm not quite skilled enough to out-clean the pros, and crazy innovs are really what i enjoy most in this game.
I'm absolutely on board for this. Are you counting improvements to existing new 0ths? There's also an open challenge from me on 78-3. My intention is to make a video about the record progression, and it would be nice to having something new to add. The WIP MDB is looking great:

It would be bonkers to pull this off in real-time, but I just thought I'd put it out there. Raif has gone dark for a few weeks, so I have no idea if/when it will be completed.

Jedi Pimp

Postby macrohenry » 2021.04.06 (23:53)

Looking forward to your video, ska. I don't see myself beating my 0th on 78-3 unfortunately. There is obviously room for improvement but the gold in the rocket section is super annoying as far as I remember. The MBD start is sick but not doable in real-time in my opinion. It seems you cannot lose more than a couple of frames.

I squeezed two more frames out of 97-3 and took 19-3 with a new route. Not sure if what I did for the last two gold clumps was optimal. I also discovered a neat little trick in 89-1:

For speedruns it's definitely slower, but maybe there is a chance for highscoring with some clever re-routing. Any suggestions?

Postby ska » 2021.04.08 (12:34)

macrohenry wrote:
2021.04.06 (23:53)
Looking forward to your video, ska. I don't see myself beating my 0th on 78-3 unfortunately. There is obviously room for improvement but the gold in the rocket section is super annoying as far as I remember. The MBD start is sick but not doable in real-time in my opinion. It seems you cannot lose more than a couple of frames.
Hey! Good to see you around! Yeah, I know the 78-3 start isn't RTA-viable, but I just thought I'd get a conversation started on it, since this is the only active thread here these days.
macrohenry wrote:
2021.04.06 (23:53)
I squeezed two more frames out of 97-3 and took 19-3 with a new route. Not sure if what I did for the last two gold clumps was optimal. I also discovered a neat little trick in 89-1:

For speedruns it's definitely slower, but maybe there is a chance for highscoring with some clever re-routing. Any suggestions?
Nice job cleaning up 97-3. Crazy how much time was saved on 19-3. I've always thought the original route on that map was inefficient, but I never really looked too deeply into rerouting it. I suspect the reason the "normal" route was the way it was was because of the drone blocking your path if you go even just a little bit slower. I actually thought your ending was a mistake, because it just doesn't look efficient. Upon closer inspection, though, I'm not sure how you would actually improve it. Is it not just possible to jump without the wall while still collecting the gold?

As for your 89-1 novelty, I have absolutely no idea if it can be worked into a new 0th route. I did some testing, but my gut tells me it won't be of any use. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

P.S. I really wish whoever's running this forum would fix the logout glitch. It seems like it's a matter of random chance when posts can actually be made, and I like having the organisation and preservation of a forum thread rather than the chaos that is Discord.

Jedi Pimp

Postby macrohenry » 2021.06.09 (12:47)

Some more 0ths that I think are worth sharing:

56-4, 72-1, 96-4 by rerouting
56-3, 98-2 by small changes
34-2, 56-0, 99-4 by cleaning

56-4 can definitely hit 107, maybe even 108 if the seekers don't screw you over.

Postby ska » 2021.06.12 (01:03)

tits

Postby ska » 2021.06.12 (14:16)

I love how you there's be some 0ths that weren't worth sharing! (I just checked NHigh, and these seem to be the only new 0ths since your last post, so I'm guessing that wasn't what you were meaning to imply). I actually saw your post within mere hours of when you submitted your post, since I check the forums almost daily, but sadly the forums are so broken at this point that sometimes you can't even post without being logged out, although it seems to be working well enough for now. Anyway, this is really awesome to see.

A few thoughts: I don't think I fully grasped just how suboptimal 56-4 is. It's a deceptively difficult level.

I'm honestly shocked that you squeezed more than two seconds out of 72-1. Really clever innovations.

Nice rerouting job on 96-4. That level is nightmare fuel.

56-3: wow, this level has come so far since the days of wolfos and jg9000.

98-2: kind of obvious idea in retrospect, although I suspect that was because the innovation was dependent on the player being quick enough to dodge the drone.

34-2: happy to lose this 0th, since it was a tie (and I had some –1 agd runs with .4xx) I'd be curious to see an MBD that takes your run and splices it with my ending. Can anyone do that for me?

56-0: Not much to say here except for "nice run".

99-4: Is this the most fought-over level in the game? Regardless, your control and aerial precision in this run is laudable.

Conclusion: Thanks for the new runs!

Jedi Pimp

Postby macrohenry » 2021.06.16 (11:03)

Thanks, I'm kind of sad that some of those runs are still suboptimal. For 56-4 it's clear where the time loss is happening, but getting into the lower half takes a lot of tries already and even then the seekers rarely cooperate. In 56-3 around frame 300 I actually intended to land on the corner which should save a bit more. I also feel like the return to the exit at the end of 96-4 could be done faster but I don't know how.

I've been running 58-1 lately because I noticed that it's possible to save 2 seconds by rerouting and grabbing 2 more pieces of gold. Do you happen to have other levels in mind where gold has been skipped even though that might not be optimal?

Postby ska » 2021.06.17 (07:32)

macrohenry wrote:
2021.06.16 (11:03)
Thanks, I'm kind of sad that some of those runs are still suboptimal. For 56-4 it's clear where the time loss is happening, but getting into the lower half takes a lot of tries already and even then the seekers rarely cooperate. In 56-3 around frame 300 I actually intended to land on the corner which should save a bit more. I also feel like the return to the exit at the end of 96-4 could be done faster but I don't know how.

I've been running 58-1 lately because I noticed that it's possible to save 2 seconds by rerouting and grabbing 2 more pieces of gold. Do you happen to have other levels in mind where gold has been skipped even though that might not be optimal?
One that comes to mind is a former 0th of mine, actually. 64-2. Funny that you should mention missing two pieces of gold, because this is exactly what happens in 64-2. The interesting thing is whether skipping these pieces is truly optimal. I tested out some rerouting ideas after Eddy sniped my 0th by a frame, but I couldn't find anything concrete.

67-4 is another level with a missed piece. It is unclear if the missing piece could be grabbed in a way that would cost less than 2 seconds of time.

Even if you could get this angle to get all pieces, the problem is that the floorguard would block your landing. Moreover, going over the mine looks impossible while getting all pieces. The trajectory just looks way off.

29-2 could be rerouted using some ideas from the MBD.

I wouldn't expect the route to be cloned, but I still think some of the concepts could be used.

75-0: my corner jump at the end seems substantially faster, and I think you could use it to deprive jp of his tie.

58-1: This is one of those levels that is deceptively difficult to highscore.

78-3: You're not gonna like hearing this, but this is one 0th I'd love to see innovated, especially if you could pull off this beginning somehow:

I can't recall if it was you I showed it to, and it's probably too hard, but I consider this to be the new holy grail of human-viable highscoring now that you've pulled off 95-0.

81-1 is a tricky case. The MBD is AGD –1, whereas the 0th is AGD –4.

That means there are theoretically three extra pieces that can save time, but the question is whether or not any of these extra pieces are viable for a human run. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning. I'd wager that it would have to be one of the most frustrating levels to run.

83-3. Is the most optimal route an AGD? I have no freakin' clue. I never cared for this map. I'm old enough to remember when sammage had a 13-second lead on this map. Fun fact: krusch was once ranked 3rd on this map at the start of 2006.

84-1: Okay, the MBD on this is a little nutty.

The start is brutally hard and might not be worth your time; however, what about doing a corner jump on the left side of the floating 5-tiles to get up to the area with the 4 pieces of gold (rather than reverse jumping on the way back). This should be a solid time save without requiring too much insanity. This is another idea I've had for literally over a decade, I'd say, but I never grinded out a run to get it.

84-2: Is it just me, or does the MBD for this not look that hard?

91-4: MBD uses all gold, whereas yours is –1. Still... you'd have to literally be insane to pull off that route.

The second half of my 95-1 run is a little quicker than yours. I know it's not as motivating to beat your own 0ths, but it never hurts to help secure improvable 0ths if you can.

13-2 is minus one gold, but it's unlikely there's a route that would make picking it up useful.

I think that's just about it. Hopefully you can use some of these!

Postby Pony » 2021.06.18 (07:11)

macro killin' the game! awesome stuff.

took 89-3 with a new route, a little over 2 seconds faster. there are many different ways you can influence the drones after you get to the bottom tunnel, so there could be more innovs lurking.
^sig by Izzy