N and Ubuntu.

Need help getting the classic version of the ninja game to work? Ask here. Find a bug? Tell us here.

Postby [email protected] » 2008.12.02 (04:33)

I've played N in Windows for a long time and recently switched to Ubuntu. I've done some googling and haven't really found a sound answer for my problem.

Once downloaded the Linux version of N I tried installing it and then figured out there is nothing to install to just run the program but it's won't work for me.
Is it just me being new to Linux or what?

Retrofuturist
MBTI Type: ENTP

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2008.12.02 (07:14)

You're really going to have to give a more detailed description than that, I'm afraid.
As a formal welcome to Ubuntu, allow me to give you the following advice: When reporting a problem in Linux, your best bet will always be to try to do what you're doing from the console and then providing exactly the error text.
Go ahead and follow the instructions listed in the readme in a terminal, and copy-paste the output text (although I bet you $20 it's about libstc++5).
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Postby [email protected] » 2008.12.02 (21:54)

This is what I got when trying to run the game. Maybe I just don't know what I am doing.

eric@eric-laptop:~$ n_v14
bash: n_v14: command not found
eric@eric-laptop:~$ open n_v14
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
eric@eric-laptop:~$ cd Desktop/n_v1linux
eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ n_v14
bash: n_v14: command not found
eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ n
bash: n: command not found
eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$

I also tried to open it just as a file and it said something about not opening a binary file.

Global Mod
Global Mod
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/scythe33

Postby scythe » 2008.12.03 (23:38)

Reopen a terminal, and run these commands:
cd ~/Desktop/n_v1linux
ls
./n_v14b
and paste the results here.
As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.

Postby [email protected] » 2008.12.05 (03:21)

eric@eric-laptop:~$ cd ~/Desktop/n_v1linux
eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ls
editor_manual.doc license.txt n_v14 userlevels.txt <====== The "n_v14" was highlighted green in the terminal.
editor_manual.txt n_cheats.txt readme.txt
eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14b
bash: ./n_v14b: No such file or directory
eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14
./n_v14: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2008.12.05 (09:20)

Looks like you need GTK support installed (which *I* thought would just be included in the first place)...
sudo aptitude install libgtk-1.2
(type in your password when prompted, and follow instructions)
./n_v14
[spoiler="you know i always joked that it would be scary as hell to run into DMX in a dark ally, but secretly when i say 'DMX' i really mean 'Tsukatu'." -kai]"... and when i say 'scary as hell' i really mean 'tight pink shirt'." -kai[/spoiler][/i]
spoiler

Postby [email protected] » 2008.12.08 (02:11)

I did the install and then got this error.

eric@eric-laptop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14
./n_v14: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2008.12.08 (02:37)

My bad, I made a typo...
Try 'libgtk1.2' without that hyphen.
Paste this into the console, basically:
sudo aptitude install libgtk1.2

And then try running N again.
spoiler

Postby [email protected] » 2008.12.10 (01:22)

I did that and got a new error

Code: Select all

eric@eric-laptop:~$ Desktop/n_v1linux/n_v14
Desktop/n_v1linux/n_v14: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2008.12.10 (03:04)

That's good, actually.
Now it's come from a rarely-seen problem to the most common one (and I was off by one version of libc in my prediction at the start of the thread).

All you have left to do is:
sudo aptitude install libstdc++6
...and you should be golden.
If the game is running particularly slowly, you may want to start it with:
sudo nice -n -20 ./n_v14
...which will give it much higher CPU priority (as opposed to starting it with just ./n_v14).

This will more than likely get it working for you, but I think there's still a chance you'll have one final problem involving the 2-2.so.3 bit, but that's also a quick fix.
spoiler

Almost as Bad as One

Postby bbgun06 » 2009.04.28 (16:55)

Perhaps you can help me also. I have nearly the same problem as retrahan. I was missing the first file, (libgtk-1.2.so.0) got it installed, and now when I try to run N, it says I am missing the second. (libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3) However, according to both Synaptic and Aptitude, I already have libstdc++6 installed. I tried reinstalling it, but it didn't help. Here is what I get in the terminal:

>bbgun06@bbgun06-laptop:~$ ./n_v1linux/n_v14
>./n_v1linux/n_v14: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot >open shared object file: No such file or directory

I would appreciate any additional help.

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.04.28 (22:00)

Yikes, it looks like all of the packages that contained that file were nuked for some reason...
Well, you can still get it to work with something that resembles a dirty hack, so no worries! (This worked for me, anyway, and I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.)
Change to root ("sudo -s" and type in your password), and "cd /usr/lib".
The standard C++ libraries are typically similar enough to each other that giving one a cheap tuxedo and having him pretend he's another library actually works far more often than you'd think.
So next, we find a suitable candidate. Do "ls libstdc++*" and see what's available. Pick a library that's closest to the version number we're looking for (libstdc++.so.6.0.9 for me), and make a symbolic link to it with the name of the library than N is looking for: "ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.9 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3".
Then exit out of root, head back into the directory you untarred N, and try running it again.

Here's me doing all of the stuff I just said above:

cvp@strife:~/dl/n_v1linux$ ls
editor_manual.doc  license.txt   n_v14       userlevels.txt
editor_manual.txt  n_cheats.txt  readme.txt
cvp@strife:~/dl/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14
./n_v14: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
cvp@strife:~/dl/n_v1linux$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for cvp:
root@strife:~/dl/n_v1linux# cd /usr/lib
root@strife:/usr/lib# ls libstdc++*
libstdc++.so.5  libstdc++.so.5.0.7  libstdc++.so.6  libstdc++.so.6.0.9
root@strife:/usr/lib# ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.9 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
root@strife:/usr/lib# exit
exit
cvp@strife:~/dl/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14
...and that made it run.
Like I said earlier in this thread, consider running it with nice -n 20 to reduce lag.
spoiler

Almost as Bad as One

Postby bbgun06 » 2009.04.29 (02:03)

That worked! Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Postby Jakob » 2009.05.28 (19:27)

Hi,
I am also a ubuntu user.
I folowed the instructions by Tsukatu
They made n run in flash player 6
But, after I choose to play a level and need to press space, I realize that the buttons does not work.

I get an error message ( I think this is something with the sound though):

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libcanberra-gtk-module.so": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
When I run the windows version via WINE It launches in flash 7.
However with lagging keystrokes.

Jakob

Postby Jakob » 2009.05.28 (20:28)

By the way,
my problem was exactly the same, only difference is that I have "libstdc++.so.6.0.10" instead of "libstdc++.so.6.0.9"

Jakob

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.05.28 (21:13)

Hmm. I don't get that error, so I don't know of any certain way to fix it...
Do this at a terminal (doesn't matter if you're root): apt-cache search canberra
If you see any packages called libcanberra, try to install them.

Otherwise, Google results are popping up with people who already have a version of libcanberra in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/. Check to see if you have a copy there, and if you do, try the symbolic link trick as above (put the link in /usr/lib).

Otherwise, I don't really have much of an idea, dude. Sorry.
Canberra is for... sound? Maybe changing your default sound driver would fix it?
Also, do you know which flash player you're using? Do you know if it's the proprietary Adobe flash player or the open-source alternative gnash?
spoiler

Almost as Bad as One

Postby Jakob » 2009.05.29 (14:03)

I Installed a lot if packages via synaptic, and after a reboot, it helped.

The ninja movements are not lagging, but screen rendering is.

:(

Thanks for your help anyway

(btw this is my first official post)

I used Adobe,
Just installed gnash ..
How do I launch n in gnash?

Almost as Bad as One

Postby Jakob » 2009.05.30 (23:39)

Wohoo
My N game is working
But Userlevels are not working, can it be something with my flash not connecting to the internet ?

//Jakob

Lifer
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/golfkid

Postby golf » 2009.05.31 (02:25)

I'm assuming that you're talking about the userlevels that are from the userlevels.txt file. If so, that file needs to be in the same folder as the N flash application. Not knowing anything about Ubuntu, I can't tell you how to see if that's true, or even if Ubuntu even has the same kind of folders as Windows for this to apply. Anyways, its not anything to do with the Flash not connecting with the Internet, because the program gets the data for the userleves section from a file on your computer's hard drive, not the internet.

The only difference with this would be if you have NReality. If so, and you're talking about the NUMA function built into it not working, then it would most likely be a problem of not communicating with the internet for some reason.
[16:24] <@golfkid> I'm pretty sure I will literally scream if I die on the last column of 78-4 at this point
[16:25] <trance> Oh, yeah. That level.
[16:29] <@golfkid> lol
[16:30] <@golfkid> It looks so simple
[16:30] <@golfkid> But it says "NO! I will rape your sanity!"
spoiler

My Accomplishments:
Completed N; Completed Nreality on 4/11/08
598 top 20 scores in N 1.4 as of 6/28/14 (498 level scores, 100 episode scores, 2nd position in top 20 rankings); reached 100 on 12/14/2008; 300 (half of all possible :D) on 11/9/2009; 400 on 12/2/2011; max of 598 on 2/3/2013; tied for 0th in top 20 rankings on 2/26-27/13

4 current v1.4 0ths (9th position in 0th rankings); First v1.4 0th: 63-3 at 1:20 pm, 3/24/2008

current level score: 71079.200 (6th position all time); 60k seconds on v1.4 6/17/08; 12th to 70k at 11:30pm EST, 12/24/2011; 6th to 71k at 5:50 pm EST, 9/29/2012

current episode score: 34276.650 (4th position all time); 100k seconds total level score (Metanet and NReality) on 2/4/08

participation and contest winner images

[quote="ska on my 129-1 innovation"]I thought about that but couldn't chimeny fast enough when trying. Congrats[/quote]

Antonio Banderas
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/donfuy
MBTI Type: ISTP

Postby Donfuy » 2009.08.06 (19:01)

donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~$ ./n_v14
bash: ./n_v14: No such file or directory
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~$ cd Desktop
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop$ cd n_v1linux
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ /.n_v14
bash: /.n_v14: No such file or directory
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14
./n_v14: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ls libstdc++*
ls: cannot access libstdc++*: No such file or directory
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ sudo -s
root@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux# cd /usr/lib
root@donfuy-desktop:/usr/lib# ls libstdc++*
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3  libstdc++.so.6  libstdc++.so.6.0.10
root@donfuy-desktop:/usr/lib# ln -s libstdc++.so.6.0.10 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 
ln: creating symbolic link `libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3': File exists
root@donfuy-desktop:/usr/lib# exit
exit
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ ./n_v14
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ FUCK
bash: FUCK: command not found
donfuy@donfuy-desktop:~/Desktop/n_v1linux$ 
I'm still that newb on linux, and n doesn't work. Help please?

Retrofuturist

Postby t̷s͢uk̕a͡t͜ư » 2009.08.06 (21:38)

What happens when you do this?

sudo -s
cd /usr/lib
rm libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
cd ~/Desktop/n_v1linux
./n_v14
spoiler