Surviving a fall on 43-0

Need help getting the classic version of the ninja game to work? Ask here. Find a bug? Tell us here.
Life Time Achievement Award

Postby darkshadow » 2009.08.12 (19:17)

I didn't originally post this because it never happened again and I didn't save the demo, but I was just curious if this ever happened to anyone else. I fell onto the ground after using the right side launch pad and survived, what the heck?
Numerous ex-0ths (xaaaaeeeelaaaar!), over 300 top-20s and a 19+ hour total score.
Unreality's awesome mod
You are an innovator at least as good as Lim ;D - xaelar

ABC
NUMA Profile: http://www.nmaps.net/user/malde37
MBTI Type: ENFJ

Postby Malde37 » 2009.08.18 (19:38)

Can't say I have.
Like my Avatar? PM me and I'll make you one.
True Quotes(Click here)

*The Monsters in my mind can beat up the ones in yours.
*I always pack one and a half pairs of underwear. That's one full one now, and, when you turn it inside out, another half later.
*I will never be seen without my goggles. For ,I see with them.
*I think I just ate my toe.

True Quotes from a Tornado Survivor

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

there are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand Binary, and people who don't.

As a good friend of mine once said: "Woot!"
BeTa TeStInG Is ObViOuS
My webcomic, The ShadowStone Gang, can be found here.

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/skyline356
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Skyling » 2009.08.18 (20:49)

Did you brush up against any of the protruding tiles on your way up? That may have kept you from going high enough to have a lethal fall.

Postby darkshadow » 2009.08.18 (21:22)

Skyling wrote:Did you brush up against any of the protruding tiles on your way up? That may have kept you from going high enough to have a lethal fall.
There are no protruding tiles.
Edit: It seems to regularly occur when dropping from high enough:

It may be that the start of the jump is calculated from how far into the launchpad you would be at the end of the frame therefore reducing the final height if you're hit it with the proper timing while going fast enough.
Last edited by darkshadow on 2009.08.18 (21:31), edited 1 time in total.
Numerous ex-0ths (xaaaaeeeelaaaar!), over 300 top-20s and a 19+ hour total score.
Unreality's awesome mod

Yet Another Harshad
NUMA Profile: http://nmaps.net/user/skyline356
MBTI Type: INTP

Postby Skyling » 2009.08.18 (21:27)

Oh, I thought you had said 45-0. Heh. Nevermind, then. Weird.

The Dreamster Teamster

Postby glib_jase » 2009.08.19 (00:31)

darkshadow wrote:It may be that the start of the jump is calculated from how far into the launchpad you would be at the end of the frame therefore reducing the final height if you're hit it with the proper timing while going fast enough.
This sounds like the most probable explanation to me. Using the highly unscientific method of placing a horizontal line in front of the N window, you can clearly see that the height of the jump where you survive is significantly lower than the height of the jumps on that map when bouncing between the launch pads. Also when bouncing between the pads, the height of each jump looks constant regardless of any changes in direction, how much gold is collected etc. In other words, the only factor that changes the height of the bounce would appear to be the speed at which you hit the pad in the first place.

It also looks like the final jump on your 0th run is at the lower 'survival' height so you could *possibly* have avoided the wall-jump. Quality innovation in any case, congrats on the run!

Postby darkshadow » 2009.08.19 (04:45)

glib_jase wrote:It also looks like the final jump on your 0th run is at the lower 'survival' height so you could *possibly* have avoided the wall-jump. Quality innovation in any case, congrats on the run!
Thanks. However I occasionally get a height that's about a pixel beyond survival height and I think I got it then.
Unreality's awesome mod